The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Oh dear. This is like those obsessive hangers on for Brozza. I'm sure there'll be those begging for Craig's return once he's gone too.

I like Dalts but no. Just no.
    I watched Dalton in Whuthering Heights the other day.

DAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

So darn dramatic. Was that Ogilvy in the earlier part of that clip? The man looked good.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »
    So darn dramatic. Was that Ogilvy in the earlier part of that clip? The man looked good.

Dalton's very dramatic in the film. His facial expressions, his movements. Everything! He's good though.

The film also has Julian Glover in it and the opening titles were designed by Maurice Binder.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Dalton's very dramatic in the film. His facial expressions, his movements. Everything! He's good though.

The film also has Julian Glover in it and the opening titles were designed by Maurice Binder.
    I must give it a watch sometime.
    Always like it in TLD when Bond seethes and growls, "I got the message."
    A darn good Bond.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I watched Dalton in Whuthering Heights the other day.

DAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

God this looks painfully bad.

It's amazing really that he made such a good Bond.

Age helped I think. He was right to reject the part in his twenties
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This was the first film I ever saw him in, and I thought he was good (back then). He just never broke through while his contemporaries like Malcom MacDowell were working with directors like Lindsay Anderson.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Hm. The irresistible force of Timothy Dalton meets the immovable object of my refusal to have anything to do with books my mum thinks I ought to read.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Chaps, I need your help.

Does anyone happen to have high quality promotional stills from The Rocketeer featuring Tim Dalton's character, Neville Sinclair?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, what are you looking for in particular?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, something along the lines of these:

dalton_nevillesinclair.jpg

daltonrocketeer.jpg

the-rocketeer.jpg

the-rocketeer.jpg

...but with higher quality, of course.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @ClarkDevlin, I tried to find the best sizes for a number of images (put in a spoiler tag to avoid slow loading for everyone else):
    v1.bjsxOTc2OTg7ajsxNzM3MjsxMjAwOzMwMTI7MTk5MA

timothy_dalton.jpg

12_original.jpg

2082762,eHonzte3D+1kOKIqlxOwG77lQjp43RE0wNQTLX2pIg5QKXpUImk5zedcpGARclisRsOgZPo21DBk1HOxAsM8iA==.jpg

I8SZgi3.jpg

38a139dd90fbe670e7d77bf5c03caae6.png

19453_2.jpg

Rocketeer_KM72-RB-2.jpg

timothy-dalton-in-the-rocketeer-1991-large-picture.jpg

MV5BMTQzMDMzNjA4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODc0NDgwMw@@._V1_SX1663_CR0,0,1663,999_AL_.jpg

772335beba7c8108cfc7c12aa3f0140b.jpg

Rocketeer-Purple-Dinner-Jacket-2.jpg

Rocketeer-Purple-Dinner-Jacket-4.jpg

Rocketeer-Purple-Dinner-Jacket-3.jpg

timothy-dalton-as-neville-sinclair-in-the.jpg

Rocketeer-Purple-Dinner-Jacket.jpg
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 you're a damn superhero! My compliments, sir! I'm obliged! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Remove the moustache, and that could pass for Daltons waiting for Dent/Paris moment.

Remove the moustache, and that could pass for Daltons waiting for Dent/Paris moment.
    My thought as well!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @ClarkDevlin

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is MY superhero, so get in the line! ha ha ha....

And let's throw this very important and necessary message into this post, because it's paramount and has to be repeated regularly.

DALTON RULEZ™
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423
    This may be a controversial opinion, but let me say it.

As much as I hold Moore and Connery as my prime Bonds, followed closely by Brosnan, sometimes I think Timothy Dalton is the perfect James Bond. Head to toe.
    MOORE CONNERY BROSNAN DALTON, they are all bloody perfect.

Dalton just happens to be the most perfect :P
    MOORE CONNERY BROSNAN DALTON, they are all bloody perfect.

Dalton just happens to be the most perfect :P
    You and I both are in the same league, mate! :D
    Happy (belated) birthday Tim!

12321174_1766254326929432_9044049783110806627_n.jpg?oh=b1b5d321cb90842f17b23a7a6b89ff5f&oe=5973AD1D

He looked so pitch perfect for the role. A shame he lacked the rest that is needed.
    Oh dear. This is like those obsessive hangers on for Brozza. I'm sure there'll be those begging for Craig's return once he's gone too.

I like Dalts but no. Just no.

Make that a Hell, no! What a ridiculous idea
    Yes, once a Bond is done they should pass the torch, no matter who they are. I've always found it funny how the actor who had the most tumultuous relationship with Bond was the man who kept coming back to it twice after he'd "retired." Money is an excellent motivator.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    This may be a controversial opinion, but let me say it.

As much as I hold Moore and Connery as my prime Bonds, followed closely by Brosnan, sometimes I think Timothy Dalton is the perfect James Bond. Head to toe.

That's not controversial here. I like Dalton best, straight up. I like the other Bonds in certain films, but Dalton just is my #1 Bond.

Dalton would only have come back in an official film, he had to much respect for the films and the Broccoli family to make a poor mans Bond film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    McClory wanted Dalton in the late 90s for WARHEAD 2000. I wish it had happened.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Rocketeer is the only superhero movie, bar some Batmans, that I really like. Tim has a great deal to do with that.

I can't see that happening for 2 reasons, 1) Daltons closeness to the Broccoli family, and 2) as we are told often enough by those who don't like Dalton, he didn't have the same pull with the public as the other Bonds had.

I can't see that happening for 2 reasons, 1) Daltons closeness to the Broccoli family, and 2) as we are told often enough by those who don't like Dalton, he didn't have the same pull with the public as the other Bonds had.

That's how I see it as well.
    Dalton had no real chance at the BO. I looked up ticket sales for the German language area and posted them in another thread.

It is painfully clear that the general public lost interest in Bond during the 80s.

No one could have made bigger BO with TLD and LTK. It wasn't because of Dalton.

Dalton just happened to be there at the end of an era. In some way MGM's problems by the end of the 80s were a Godsend for the franchise.

Because after 6 years GoldenEye renewed the franchise in a way it would not have been possible with films still coming out every second year, imho.

TIMOTHY DALTON would have been THE Bond had he had the luck to get five films or even more. I strongly believe that.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »

That's how I see it as well.

Interesting. I heard that McClory had considered Lazenby if Connery had not done NSNA. And now Dalton for a further re-make. One wonders why McClory, a thorn in Eons side for so long, still had no imagination of his own and would happily employ Eon's own actors.

And I agree Dalton, like Moore before him, was loyal to Eon.