The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MooresflaresMooresflares Manchester
    The living daylights is such a great film, still stands up very well, and LTK is way under rated
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I like TLD a lot but not particularly a fan of LTK
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    My love for Dalton is stronger as ever.

Penny Dreadful is a gift. For a long time we only got glimpses of Dalton's greatness in supporting roles in mostly fun(ny) films.

But this show has made Dalton a total legend for me in his older years. Damn, he is kicking ass...

One of these days I really would love to see a one-time Bond film event with one of the actors that are now in their later age, which basically would come down to BROSNAN or DALTON.

Both, imho, could still play Bond and rival Craig easily.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,116
    I agree @BondJasonBond006.. My appreciation for Dalton continues to increase.

Brosnan too.
  • Dalton_FishersDalton_Fishers Barcelona
    I totally agree @BondJasonBond006, in Penny Dreadful Tim showed that not only can do wonders with just a few lines of text but he is still very fit for action scenes!

He would be so great in a Bond spin-off movie about a 'retired' Bond..
  • Tim has just been exiled by the king.
    The person he plays in CROMWELL was one hell of a fascinating guy... Rupert was just barely getting started when he was kicked out of England!

Prince Rupert of the Rhine, Duke of Cumberland, Earl of Holderness
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert_of_the_Rhine

Cavalry commander, pirate(!), admiral, scientist, politician, artist -- and ladies' man. What a life!

Penny Dreadful is a gift. For a long time we only got glimpses of Dalton's greatness in supporting roles in mostly fun(ny) films.

But this show has made Dalton a total legend for me in his older years. Damn, he is kicking ass...

One of these days I really would love to see a one-time Bond film event with one of the actors that are now in their later age, which basically would come down to BROSNAN or DALTON.

I popped in The Beautician and The Beast yesterday to get my Dalton fix with some romantic comedy. Even ten years after TLD, Dalton actually looks like he could have begun playing Bond in '97. In the scenes when he is trimmed up and sporting the dark blazers he is in top form.
    He also looked great another 10 plus years later on Chuck. One of the great crimes is we were deprived of more Dalton Bonds.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I popped in The Beautician and The Beast yesterday to get my Dalton fix with some romantic comedy. Even ten years after TLD, Dalton actually looks like he could have begun playing Bond in '97. In the scenes when he is trimmed up and sporting the dark blazers he is in top form.
    He also looked great another 10 plus years later on Chuck. One of the great crimes is we were deprived of more Dalton Bonds.

You should see him in Framed by Linda La Plante. He is an excellent and seductive criminal. Like you say, it is a shame his Bond tenure was so short, as we will not see another actor like him again. Most modern actors look so similar.

Brosnan too had exceptionally good looks. Along with Connery, those are my favourite Bond images.

Is Beautician and the Beast any good? I know an online fan who, despite loving Dalton, said its one of the worst films he's ever seen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Don't mess with Dalton
    tumblr_mg2oxd6KMZ1rqvzzko1_r1_500.gif
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Good grief, @bondjames, what's that from? I need to watch it forthwith.
    @Bondjames what film is that from? He looks great!
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @Agent_99, @TR007, Although I haven't seen it, that clip is from The Beautician and The Beast. I came across it online when looking the film up, and thought it looked pretty bad ass.

I think it may give a misleading impression about the tone of the film though, just to warn you.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have Beautician And The Beast on DVD, but i've never watched it. That gif could have been Dalton in TND.

I logged into facebook a little while ago, and had this in my notification feed:

15965482_1902236236664573_4242170693619490304_n.jpg?oh=089b1da1aed29b9edefb64c7ffa8115c&oe=5910B56B
    yeah that pic was on my feed too.
    Floated past me on Twitter too.

Kudos for looking so happy and self-possessed on a packed tube train!
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Here's the trailer where you can see him in the same outfit near the end. The gif gives a different impression from the film, which appears to be a sort of comedy
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Just look what he is doing with his right hand.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Just look what he is doing with his right hand.

True...he is smiling Dr Thunderfinger,and its rare to see Tim smile.....but then again everyone does that on the tube....they need to supply buckets or kleenex.

The guy on the right looks like he is very uncomfortable with the whole situation.
    So would i be...007 is knocking one out and what do you do ?? you cant complain or he will kill you.
    Ha ha. That is probably exactly how it is.
    @acoppola
    Framed is great. I remember when it originally aired in 2 parts. Dalton was intense and very Bondian. I agree contemporary actors look similar and are a dime a dozen. They all seemingly happened to be named "Chris" as well. No one like Dalton these days.
    @BAIN123
    I'd say Beautician and the Beast is certainly an acquired taste. I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking it was pretty bad. However, I enjoy it's light-hearted vibe. I do think Tim and Fran Drescher had decent chemistry. It's a '90's era family comedy that did alright until the re-issue of Star Wars knocked it down in the box office.
    Tim is great, and the last time I popped it in wondered what he might have been like as Vlad The Impaler. i guess you could call the film a guilty pleasure.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    @acoppola
    Framed is great. I remember when it originally aired in 2 parts. Dalton was intense and very Bondian. I agree contemporary actors look similar and are a dime a dozen. They all seemingly happened to be named "Chris" as well. No one like Dalton these days.
    @BAIN123
    I'd say Beautician and the Beast is certainly an acquired taste. I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking it was pretty bad. However, I enjoy it's light-hearted vibe. I do think Tim and Fran Drescher had decent chemistry. It's a '90's era family comedy that did alright until the re-issue of Star Wars knocked it down in the box office.
    Tim is great, and the last time I popped it in wondered what he might have been like as Vlad The Impaler. i guess you could call the film a guilty pleasure.

Thank you. And Dalton would have made a great Dracula. You mentioned Vlad The Impaler..
    acoppola wrote: »
    @acoppola
    @BAIN123

Thank you. And Dalton would have made a great Dracula. You mentioned Vlad The Impaler..

Absolutely! Dracula is one of my favorite characters and one that is open to different interpretations, and looks. I think Dalton would be great in the part now as he seems to look more imposing as he gets older. Seeing him if Flash Gordon shows how cool he looks in a cape.
    Hahaha i never thought about Tim as Dracula..that actually would work !
    Stumbled across this 1987 BBC World Service broadcast on iPlayer while I was looking for something else. The first seven minutes are a discussion of brand new Bond film The Living Daylights:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03m0qsg

“But now a new Bond has arrived, and I predict he’s here to stay."
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Thanks for posting that for us Agent-99 it's a good listen .
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    The guy on the right looks like he is very uncomfortable with the whole situation.

Lol. Yeah that poor guy looks like he's holding on for dear life. ....also he favors Spottiswood I think.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,108
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that for us Agent-99 it's a good listen .

I especially like the vox pops from the audience. Just like today, a good spread of opinions from "It's different, it's brilliant!" to "It's different, I hate it!"

My favourite: the person whose response is simply "Timothy Dalton is gorgeous".