The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

mattjoes wrote: »
    That mediamass page is just a template text in which they just change the name of the actor rumored to have passed away. There is no hoax about the death of the actor. The hoax is about the hoax of the death of the actor. Know what I mean? :D

Look here.

Truly unbelievable...these cretins need to get a life.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »

How did I miss that all those people are dead? Is it an epidemic? RIP everyone.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    These 'people' need to get a life...it's pathetic.

Complete losers!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I've known about that site for a while so I guess I'm desensitized, but it's truly ridiculous when you think about it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Why’s everybody surprised about this? Mediamass is a full-on parody site that reports unexpected turnouts to make jokes out of it. At least they’re not selling their stuff like they’re real stories as absurdly as the Daily Mail or The Sun do.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I remember reading fake news on the Daily Mail about Roger Moore. I consider myself fortunate to have blocked it out so well that I can't even remember what it was anymore.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 7,570
    I have always put a bit of a downer on Timothy Dalton as Bond, but this Penny Dreadful cast Q & A session sees an older, relaxed and amusing Dalton talking about the show and responds to the point of how many Bond related people are part of the show.

He's looking good as well

Apologies if it has been posted before
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    NicNac wrote: »
    He's looking good as well

Well, I always think he looks good, but especially so here.

Thanks for posting!
    Bring him back as Bond!
    Getafix wrote: »
    Bring him back as Bond!
    in a film called Old Man Bond? ;)
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 616
    Looking through the book Italian Horror Film Directors (by Louis Paul) recently, I learned that in 1972 Dalton was attached to an adaptation of Frankenstein to be directed by Dario Argento (DEEP RED, SUSPIRIA)! Argento and his co-writer Luigi Cozzi presented it to both Universal Pictures and Hammer Films, but neither studio was interested. The premise sounds interesting -- apparently it was to be set during the Weimar Republic, with the monster representing the birth of Nazism.

Dalton later made The Doctor and the Devils (a horror film based on the Burke and Hare events) with veteran Hammer director Freddie Francis.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 15,804
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Looking through the book Italian Horror Film Directors (by Louis Paul) recently, I learned that in 1972 Dalton was attached to an adaptation of Frankenstein to be directed by Dario Argento (DEEP RED, SUSPIRIA)! Argento and his co-writer Luigi Cozzi presented it to both Universal Pictures and Hammer Films, but neither studio was interested. The premise sounds interesting -- apparently it was to be set during the Weimar Republic, with the monster representing the birth of Nazism.

Dalton later made The Doctor and the Devils (a horror film based on the Burke and Hare events) with veteran Hammer director Freddie Francis.

Very interesting. I can picture Dalton in some early '70's horror. Many actors of his generation at the time were getting young leading roles in Hammer and Amicus horror films: Ian Ogilvy, Anthony Higgins, Dennis Waterman, Christopher Neame, etc. I speculate had Dalton not started off with Lion in Winter, Wuthering Heights, etc would he have been cast in a Hammer horror back then?
    It's a pity Dario Argento didn't make his version of Frankenstein anyway. I love the various Frankenstein films of that era. I'd bet it would have been pretty cool.
  • It's a pity Dario Argento didn't make his version of Frankenstein anyway.
    And in the '70s Argento was firing on all creative cylinders as a director, a vibe he was able to carry successfully into the '80s. (After 1987's OPERA, however, it's all rapidly downhill.)
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 15,804
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    It's a pity Dario Argento didn't make his version of Frankenstein anyway.
    And in the '70s Argento was firing on all creative cylinders as a director, a vibe he was able to carry successfully into the '80s. (After 1987's OPERA, however, it's all rapidly downhill.)

I never did see OPERA. In fact I still want to see his version of DRACULA, as well as his 1998 remake of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. I've heard both his Dracula and Phantom films were sub standard, but I have a feeling I might like them anyway. SUSPIRIA was probably my favorite of his movies. Damn, Argento and Dalton together might have been quite the combination.
    Argento's Opera is very disturbing. I like it.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    I never did see OPERA. In fact I still want to see his version of DRACULA, as well as his 1998 remake of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. I've heard both his Dracula and Phantom films were sub standard, but I have a feeling I might like them anyway.
    Argento's PHANTOM is (to my mind, at least) a total misfire, while his DRACULA is... well... wretched seems the most appropriate description. At one point the Count shape-shifts into a six-foot tall praying mantis (via cheesy CGI)... Almost the entire film is face-palm worthy.

How the mighty have fallen!

• edited January 2018 Posts: 616
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Damn, Argento and Dalton together might have been quite the combination.

Dalton would have been great in the lead role in FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET. As much as I like that film, I'll admit that Michael Brandon (a last-minute replacement for Michael York) gives a weak performance.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I never did see OPERA. In fact I still want to see his version of DRACULA, as well as his 1998 remake of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. I've heard both his Dracula and Phantom films were sub standard, but I have a feeling I might like them anyway.
    Argento's PHANTOM is (to my mind, at least) a total misfire, while his DRACULA is... well... wretched seems the most appropriate description. At one point the Count shape-shifts into a six-foot tall praying mantis (via cheesy CGI)... Almost the entire film is face-palm worthy.

How the mighty have fallen!

I've heard the Dracula film was pretty bad. I'm a huge fan of the character, and like Bond am pretty picky on what's done with it.
    I do give Dracula more elbow room for variety, than something like Superman, which I feel should be as set in stone in characteristics and appearance as Santa Claus.
    From what I've seen I like Thomas Kretschmann's visual look as The Count: the dark clothes, haircut, clean shaven as opposed to mustached, etc. I imagine I'll gripe about the CGI, though. Eventually I'll see it, if I come across a copy.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,786
    Argento and Dalton, one of my favourite directors and one of my favourite actors. That movie would have been brilliant!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Happy birthday, Mr Dalton, sir!

DYztd_6WkAEt4vX.jpg
    Happy Birthday to a terrific Bond!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Happy birthday to my favourite Bond, T-Dalts.

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Happy birthday to the Daltonator.
    Happy Birthday to the BEST Bond!,
    Timothy Dalton!
    Happy birthday, Tim!!!!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Happy birthday, you problem eliminator!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Happy one, Tim!

Still, and probably always, the best 007.
    Happy Birthday Timothy Dalton!!!
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Happy Belated Birthday to Mr. Dalton!
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Just searched for a clip from LTK on Youtube, and noticed that the entire film is available for purchase as well. What caught my eye though, was the heavily photoshopped cover image they used! :O

movieposter.webp

A quick search of other Bond titles, reveals some really generic covers. Could have made more an effort, there!