The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    NicNac wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    McClory wanted Dalton in the late 90s for WARHEAD 2000. I wish it had happened.

I can't see that happening for 2 reasons, 1) Daltons closeness to the Broccoli family, and 2) as we are told often enough by those who don't like Dalton, he didn't have the same pull with the public as the other Bonds had.

That's how I see it as well.

Interesting. I heard that McClory had considered Lazenby if Connery had not done NSNA. And now Dalton for a further re-make. One wonders why McClory, a thorn in Eons side for so long, still had no imagination of his own and would happily employ Eon's own actors.

And I agree Dalton, like Moore before him, was loyal to Eon.

So was Brosnan.

The only actors I can recall openly discredit the franchise is Sean Connery and Daniel Craig.
  • RC7RC7

I can't see that happening for 2 reasons, 1) Daltons closeness to the Broccoli family, and 2) as we are told often enough by those who don't like Dalton, he didn't have the same pull with the public as the other Bonds had.

Interesting. I heard that McClory had considered Lazenby if Connery had not done NSNA. And now Dalton for a further re-make. One wonders why McClory, a thorn in Eons side for so long, still had no imagination of his own and would happily employ Eon's own actors.

So was Brosnan.

The only actors I can recall openly discredit the franchise is Sean Connery and Daniel Craig.

I think you might have made the second bit up.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    RC7 wrote: »

So was Brosnan.

Ah yes. The "I rather slash my wrists" comment is of course a love letter to playing James Bond.

Did you get a deputy badge for opposing everything critical about Craig? Craig police force must be fun.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,601
    He has people everywhere.
    Alone working over all the injuries, he got, because he wanted it to be as real as possible, is indeed a love letter to Bond. This alone plus everything else. Living and breathing Bond before, during and after is one. That brought him the co - producer.
    You mean "you" have people everywhere.

This feels more and more like Turkey and not a James Bond forum.
  • RC7RC7

So was Brosnan.

Ah yes. The "I rather slash my wrists" comment is of course a love letter to playing James Bond.

Did you get a deputy badge for opposing everything critical about Craig? Craig police force must be fun.

That's very different to Connery's very public feud with the producers. Craig has never spoken out against the franchise, the producers, the cast, the crew... and he's very loved by those on set. His comment, as we all know, was completely taken out of context - said as he'd literally finished a gruelling shoot and published months later. He's shown nothing but respect and, like Roger, has used his position for many noble causes along the way. I'm not policing anything, but sometimes when you talk shit you need to be told and you're talking shit, mate.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Germanlady wrote: »
    He has people everywhere

You are going to have to pay the toll, which requires saying something positive about Timothy Dalton.

Take the bickering elsewhere fellas.

So was Brosnan.

That's very different to Connery's very public feud with the producers. Craig has never spoken out against the franchise, the producers, the cast, the crew... and he's very loved by those on set. His comment, as we all know, was completely taken out of context - said as he'd literally finished a gruelling shoot and published months later. He's shown nothing but respect and, like Roger, has used his position for many noble causes along the way. I'm not policing anything, but sometimes when you talk shit you need to be told and you're talking shit, mate.

Craig discredited the franchise with those remarks. That's a fact. Deal with it.
    I haven't claimed anything else.
    I don't care if it was taken out of context. The words were said by Craig, he should have known better but he didn't. That's disrespect, foolishly.
  • RC7RC7

So was Brosnan.

Craig discredited the franchise with those remarks. That's a fact. Deal with it.
    I haven't claimed anything else.
    I don't care if it was taken out of context. The words were said by Craig, he should have known better but he didn't. That's disrespect, foolishly.

He did nothing of the sort.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    He has people everywhere

You are going to have to pay the toll, which requires saying something positive about Timothy Dalton.

Take the bickering elsewhere fellas.

Oki, sadly he is my least favourite, but honestly, I can say nothing negative about him. He seems like a nice fella and maybe his dark approach came at the wrong time. I know, i wasn't ready for it.

I have no problems with any of the 6 Bond's..they all brought something different to the character .
  • RC7RC7
    I have no problems with any of the 6 Bond's..they all brought something different to the character .

I agree.
    DALTON RULEZ™

• Yeah, the biggest tragedy with Dalton was that he was never even given a proper shot at what he wanted from Bond. I really don't think Licence to Kill was it.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    p19BjOy.png

The alternate Tomorrow Never Lies.
    p19BjOy.png

The alternate Tomorrow Never Lies.

He does look good I must admit...he did throughout the whole of 'The Rocketeer.'

I cant really watch that film because that was the year he should have been filming GE.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yeah, the biggest tragedy with Dalton was that he was never even given a proper shot at what he wanted from Bond. I really don't think Licence to Kill was it.

At the LTK premiere he said that TLD was a step in the right direction, and LTK was a huge leap. Years later I think he said (I may be wrong) that he preferred TLD of his films.

But, it was the Royal Prem and he had to sell it. I remember Connery bigging up DAF during filming, and Broz waxing about DAD. They have to sell their films, good or bad.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Yes, LTK may have been written for Dalton but that doesn't mean he had much input. He has spoken of how he was given the finished script a few weeks before shooting. He's also said I seem to recall that he had wanted his third to be a bit more light hearted. I love the idea of Dalton in early 1990s - still British controlled - Hong Kong. Would have been awesome.

For some reason I always picture something along the lines of Black Rain by Ridley Scott. A shame in a way that Scott was never considered for Bond. Could have been a good fit IMO.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Didn't Dalton have a fallout with John Glen over the tone of the film? I've read somewhere Glen wanted more action and Dalton wanted acting scenes.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    John Glen was an action director really. More comfortable with those scenes, and of course did them very well. When he had highly dramatic acting scenes eg
    1. Bond and Colombo meet on the boat
    2. Bond meets Orlov and learns of the Russian's plans
    3. Bond meets Sanchez in the latter's office

Highly dramatic first encounter moments and they seem to lack real suspense.
    Apparently Dalton dropped out of Christopher Columbus: The Discovery and there's speculation it was because Glen was directing.
    Yeah Dalts and Glen didn't get on I don't think. Shame. I think Dalton underestimated Glen and perhaps vice versa. They still managed to make two decent films together even if LTK is rather uneven.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    I think Glen missed Roger's company and lighter approach.

Glen seems a decent enough director but I really wouldn't say he's anything special. Outside of Bond his credits as editor are more impressive.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 337
    Yeah, the biggest tragedy with Dalton was that he was never even given a proper shot at what he wanted from Bond. I really don't think Licence to Kill was it.

At the LTK premiere he said that TLD was a step in the right direction, and LTK was a huge leap. Years later I think he said (I may be wrong) that he preferred TLD of his films.

But, it was the Royal Prem and he had to sell it. I remember Connery bigging up DAF during filming, and Broz waxing about DAD. They have to sell their films, good or bad.

Indeed. I personally view both as missteps, but TLD was the better of the two in my opinion.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Glen seems a decent enough director but I really wouldn't say he's anything special. Outside of Bond his credits as editor are more impressive.

Glen was an excellent Bond director.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Getafix wrote: »

Glen was an excellent Bond director.

Totally agree @Getafix .

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    He did a decent enough job given the budgets were cut in the 80's and his films always move at a decent pace. Having said that, there's something about his efforts which lack panache and style. They're a bit down to earth and pedestrian in comparison to what came before and lacking that otherworldly eccentricity (this could be due to the loss of Adam), just like the 90's efforts are terribly cliched.

The only films from the 80s/90s/00s that give me that old school Adam feeling are GE and QoS (CR doesn't, even though the performances are excellent).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    TLD certainly had panache and style, while also bringing Bond kicking and screaming back to the realms of a spy thriller. LTK not so much on the whole, but the action sequences are the best in the series. Glen clearly know how to stage a thrilling action sequence, so why didn't he have a better career in the genre?

And while I defend Glen, I do also think that 5 consecutive Bond films was enough. I just want to put that out there.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that TLD is probably one of the better lensed Glen Bond films (I still think FYEO is by far his best). At least he captures the atmosphere of Bratislava nicely (even if it wasn't filmed there), although he could have done a much better job with Vienna & Morocco imho. However even here, towards the end Bond descends into an Indy wannabee.

I can't criticize Glen's action skills. The LTK action is truly superb.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    The opening 30 mins of TLD is amongst the best in the entire series IMO, for drama, character, tension and action. Perhaps even the best intro of a new Bond IMO. Near perfection.

I'm never entirely sure what the budgetary constraints were tbh, but I don't think the Glen films are ever anything less than highly entertaining - even AVTAK.