Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

I like War Horse (2011) more than I remember whenever I see it. Though still not one of my favorite Spielberg films (which is extremely highly-liked movies for me), a very good feature.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is like an anthology.
    FF8 - fun and well executed movie and as always it seems that Statham does very well in capturing the best parts of any actioner he plays in. EON should take notice in how this franchise is able to pump out it sequels so easily. There is a lesson to be learned. And lets face it both franchise do not have the best scripts to work form so that does not matter at all.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Logan

Oh boy was this excellent! Apart from seeing the trailer quite a while back I kept myself 'cold' for this film, so I hardly knew anything about it.

Really glad I did because this film offers up something special in the Superhero genre.

If this is the way these films are going then count me in!

Hugh Jackman just carries this film in an absolutely powerhouse performance. Its the film that Wolverine deserved and it delivers on so many levels.

He's well supported by Patrick Stewart and amazing young actress, Dafne Keen.

Really well directed by James Mangold. His best film since Copland I'd say.

Looking at the apparent CGI fest we are going to get with Justice League, I think I'd just rather watch this again instead.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I.T. (2016)

I enjoyed it. A slightly above-average b thriller made watchable due to a strong performance from Pierce Brosnan.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,889
    Ben Hur (1959)

In a word EPIC. The Blu-ray looks phenomenal.
    The Godfather Part II - When it comes to great movies about gangsters in the last 50 years we have the Godfather and the two epic ones The Godfather part II & Once upon a time in America both starring [one de Niro]
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Godfather Part II - When it comes to great movies about gangsters in the last 50 years we have the Godfather and the two epic ones The Godfather part II & Once upon a time in America both starring [one de Niro]

Been a very long time since I sat through the trilogy, going to have to rectify that soon.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ben Hur (1959)

In a word EPIC. The Blu-ray looks phenomenal.

I have this truly awesome film on BD, the detail is indeed phenominal one of the greatest films ever made.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Been a very long time since I sat through the trilogy, going to have to rectify that soon.

I bought the re-mastered boxset so number 3 will be watched as well fairly soon. It is the one I have no recollection of even if I have the set on DVD and the soundtrack on cd.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I bought the re-mastered boxset so number 3 will be watched as well fairly soon. It is the one I have no recollection of even if I have the set on DVD and the soundtrack on cd.

Ok so I bought that recently and watched all three for the first time. The first 2 are incredible - classics for sure. The third one is okay I like the plot and certain scenes and characters but the whole love story is absolute garbage and the ending is rubbish
    Doctor Strange has become one of my favouraite Marvel films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That may be a stretch too far for me. I liked the film very much but it's somewhere in the middle for me. Either way, glad to see there's a lot of love for Doctor Strange, @fire_and_ice. :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    That may be a stretch too far for me. I liked the film very much but it's somewhere in the middle for me. Either way, glad to see there's a lot of love for Doctor Strange, @fire_and_ice. :)
    It's mainly down to the rewatchability of Doctor Strange compared to some of the other MCU films, also I enjoy some of the concepts. Winter Soldier Is still far and away the best film in the series for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The Fate of the Furious (2017)
    g6fn1iv.jpg

Just got back from the theatre. What a spectacle this was. Amped up to the max, it didn't disappoint on the action front. Vin Diesel's Dominic Toretto is forced to turn on his 'family' by the mysterious Cipher (Charlize Theron), a Blofeld like presence who has been lingering in the background, apparently authoring all his pain for the past few entries. Theron is quite menacing here, and makes Waltz's Ernst seem like a spoiled brat in comparison. She inflicts some serious personal psychological grief on Dom. Jason Statham's Deckhard steals the show this time around, and I wondered if he was auditioning to replace Craig at times. Tyrese Gibson's Roman provides the comic relief as normal, but I must say I've found the character and the actor annoying for some time now. Dwayne Johnson commands the screen as always, and his brute Luke Hobbs gets to deliver serious badassery like we've come to expect. Michelle Rodriguez’s Letty, perhaps the most famous character to be brought back from the dead since Patrick Ewing's Bobby from Dallas, continues to defy the laws of aging. She looks the same as she did when I first saw her kicking butt all those years ago in the first Resident Evil film. Diesel is very good here, and his angst driven performance recalls some of the earlier entries when he was more of a villain. I prefer him this way. Scott Eastwood is a new addition to the team and is the spitting image of his famous dad, but without the legendary charisma.

There are a lot of Bondian tributes in this film, in addition to the aforementioned (and rather unfortunate) SP pain authoring. They are primarily from the Brosnan era however. I was in particular reminded of GE due to EMP's and computer pinging (Boriiiis). TND came to mind with remote controlled cars flying off of buildings. In addition, DAD was recalled during the Russian car chase on ice. Furthermore, there are quite a few moments when the CGI quality reminds me of that last Brosnan effort as well, as it's quite poor at times. This franchise continues to take the action to new levels, but unfortunately that also means too much of the green screen stuff. Having said that, they really keep it entertaining from start to finish. I wasn't bored for any of it, and I look forward to the inevitable 9th episode.
    Second watch of Blue Velvet (1986). Very good film.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 11,189
    I, Daniel Blake (2016)

I admit I try to watch politics from the side-lines and feel somewhat out of my depth with the subject. However, this was a genuinely moving brilliantly acted piece of drama with heartfelt performances from it's two leads.

I can believe a lot of the frustrating experiences that Daniel Blake encountered.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Dennis Hopper is the ultimate psycho.

I thought that was Anthony Perkins ;)

Absolutely. His performance elevates the film from solid to great.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Life (2017)

Just like Daniel Espinosa's previous film, Safe House (the Denzel Washington action film in South Africa), his latest effort (in the sci-fi genre this time) is once again non-stop action from start to finish. About 10 minutes to introduce the characters - Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson sharing screen time was a joy to see, and once sh*t gets real, I was on the edge of my seat until the end credits started. All in all, it was a very cool film to whet my appetite with before Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 next week and Alien: Covenant in 3 weeks.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    edited April 2017 Posts: 257
    I finally got around to Operation Kid Brother (which is available via Amazon Prime, by the way). Holy man is it terrible! The photography was much better than I expected - but the voice dubbing is distracting-level bad and I'm still not sure what the plot was.... You get to see Lois Maxwell shoot a machine gun - so that's something.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's a EuroSpy. It's supposed to be "terrible".
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    It's a EuroSpy. It's supposed to be "terrible".

Mission accomplished.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Robert Wise's The Haunting (1963), featuring our Lois Maxwell in a small but important part.
    Another proof that creating horror can be accomplished by great performances, wise (n'yuk, n'yuk...) directing, smart camera work and an intelligent use of sound and props. I love FX, don't get me wrong, but this winner just doesn't need 'em. Intercourse the 1999 remake: this is the real stuff.
    Excellent.
  • I appreciated the cinematography in The Haunting, but the film itself left me pretty cold. I similarly found The Day the Earth Stood Still pretty underwhelming for what's supposed to be a landmark of sci-fi cinema.

I think The Andromeda Strain and The Curse of the Cat People are my favorites from Wise.
  • Ah, I haven't seen West Side Story. Not a huge fan of musicals, but I'm sure I'll see it some day.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cop Car (2015) A nice little thriller about two kids stealing a not so friendly sheriff's patrol car. It was a pretty interesting movie starring Kevin Bacon. Has good tension and the two child actors give pretty realistic performances.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Where Love Has Gone (1964)
    With hurricane Susan on one side, and hurricane Bette on the other, much respect to Mike Conners (and everyone else in the cast), for trying not to join the leads in cranking up the melodrama to 11.

Whether embelished or not, the story goes that Davis had the knives out for Hayward from the word go (Hayward having starred inThe Stolen Hours which was a reworking a film that Davis starred in, The Dark Victory). Hayward wasn't one to back down, the result must have sent the rest of the cast and crew fleeing for cover, and the film becomes one of those bad movies people love.
    THE DARK KNIGHT

Grandiose film, elevated by excellent photo, a tense score, its theme of choice and top notch performances by everyone. It is quite a curiosity that Scarecrow is featured in all three films. I love it.