Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

Creasy47 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Sexual orientation is irrelevant to me; if they'd make a great Bond and they're interested, cast them.

Why, though? It assumes a gay actor couldn't play a heterosexual role. Neil Patrick Harris is gay and he's a believable womanizer in just about every role I've seen him in.

Personal preference
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Can a straight man play a gay character?

If yes, why not the other way around?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think we've lost the plot on this thread.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, I don't have an issue with that. Most of the time a Bond actor has to sleep on screen with a total babe anyway (poor Sir Rog being an exception perhaps in AVTAK) and so even a gay man should be able to convince in these situations.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    +1
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

so we are like the plot in SF :wink:
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, I don't have an issue with that. Most of the time a Bond actor has to sleep on screen with a total babe anyway (poor Sir Rog being an exception perhaps in AVTAK) and so even a gay man should be able to convince in these situations.

I think roger became gay after that scene with mayday

• MurdockMurdock The minus world

I think roger became gay after that scene with mayday

And the joke that bombed the hardest goes to.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think so. It's an entirely valid question. A large part of the Bond character revolves around his sexuality and prowess with women. It's a fundamental component of the screen character, unlike most other big screen heroes. An actor's ability to convey that appropriately and credibly is a reasonable question, especially if his own preferences are in direct contrast. I wouldn't want the film makers to downplay this aspect to appease a gay actor for instance, and I could imagine that the actor would be asked about it all the time by the press hounds which could potentially result in a neutering of this aspect of the character.

The same applies to other attributes (whether they be from the novel or from the film interpretation) that we as viewers have gotten used to over the years and expect from Bond. I for one have never got used to Craig's height in relation to the other Bond actors, and even though he is an excellent actor, would prefer someone taller next time out. I know a lot of folks could never accept Roger as Bond because his essential niceness comes through even when he's trying to be tough. They could therefore never accept him as a hardened killer.

So it's worth discussing. I for one don't have a problem with it, as long as the actor can credibly convey what I expect of Bond on screen, but it's not a given that he would be able to.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Well said. I agree.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, @bondjames well said.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,131
    suavejmf wrote: »
    It depends. Evans' could certainly pull off Bond, definitely. On the other hand, Rupert Everett wanted to be Bond, but he's a raving queen......and always comes across as slightly camp. Neil Patrick Harris is bad example too. Allegedly, Cary Grant was gay.....and yes you can't tell there though....a very convincing womaniser.
    Cary Grant was not gay. There have been rumours and whatnot just as there were rumours about James Dean, but they're nothing beyond. Grant's daughter has had silenced those rumours a long ago.

Mmmm. I find it hard to believe too. But other sources say different. Of course his daughter would deny it. Noone will ever know. James Dean allegedly was not gay, but experimented and gave out sexual favours to advance his career. Once again we'll never know. Both classic actors though.

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/0*RUX_UoUZC_DNmU0z.jpg.

Rumors of Grant’s bisexuality swirled around Hollywood for years: was he a man-about-town who liked to have sex with men-about-town? But as evidenced by the story of Rock Hudson, Hollywood was adept at covering queerness with a varnish of hyper-heterosexuality, and women fell at his feet both onscreen and off. It was and remains unclear whether Grant actually was bisexual or whether he simply reveled in messing with anxieties sparked by two men living together. It seems unlikely that Grant, a practiced comedian, would not have been amused by befuddling as many gossip columnists as possible.

He was the best and most important actor of the last hundred years. He didn’t reinvent acting like Brando, he didn’t fatten himself up like Robert De Niro or starve himself like Christian Bale. He wasn’t burly like Gable, and he didn’t smolder like Mitchum. Instead, he played slight variations on the same character for the majority of his career, he wore a suit better than anyone in Hollywood, and he made acting seem like living. Over the course of his long career, Grant fixed standards of what it meant to be “debonair” and “a man about town” — everything he did, on screen and off, seemed inflected with panache and grace.

He would have made a good Bond, because he could act.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It depends. Evans' could certainly pull off Bond, definitely. On the other hand, Rupert Everett wanted to be Bond, but he's a raving queen......and always comes across as slightly camp. Neil Patrick Harris is bad example too. Allegedly, Cary Grant was gay.....and yes you can't tell there though....a very convincing womaniser.
    Cary Grant was not gay. There have been rumours and whatnot just as there were rumours about James Dean, but they're nothing beyond. Grant's daughter has had silenced those rumours a long ago.

Mmmm. I find it hard to believe too. But other sources say different. Of course his daughter would deny it. Noone will ever know. James Dean allegedly was not gay, but experimented and gave out sexual favours to advance his career. Once again we'll never know. Both classic actors though.

Rumors of Grant’s bisexuality swirled around Hollywood for years: was he a man-about-town who liked to have sex with men-about-town? But as evidenced by the story of Rock Hudson, Hollywood was adept at covering queerness with a varnish of hyper-heterosexuality, and women fell at his feet both onscreen and off. It was and remains unclear whether Grant actually was bisexual or whether he simply reveled in messing with anxieties sparked by two men living together. It seems unlikely that Grant, a practiced comedian, would not have been amused by befuddling as many gossip columnists as possible.

He was the best and most important actor of the last hundred years. He didn’t reinvent acting like Brando, he didn’t fatten himself up like Robert De Niro or starve himself like Christian Bale. He wasn’t burly like Gable, and he didn’t smolder like Mitchum. Instead, he played slight variations on the same character for the majority of his career, he wore a suit better than anyone in Hollywood, and he made acting seem like living. Over the course of his long career, Grant fixed standards of what it meant to be “debonair” and “a man about town” — everything he did, on screen and off, seemed inflected with panache and grace.

People by definition try to put stars in a darker light (for those who gay is a negative thing, which it was in those days to society at large). And there are probably pictures taken of me where you could also make it seem i am gay (which I'm not, otherwise this comment makes little sense ;-) )
    Roger Moore is pure Fleming compared to Craig. @bondjames :smile:
    I've always thought so @BondJasonBond006. Or at least I've felt that the combination of Moore and Craig = Connery. Both bring different elements of Fleming's creation to the screen, but Connery had it all.

Now you've done it. I'm either going to have to rewatch 'An Affair to Remember' or 'To Catch A Thief'.
    I recommend both @doubleoego
    Truly wonderful films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @doubleoego, now you've got me wanting to rewatch 'To Catch A Thief.' It's been a solid decade since I last saw it, I'd say.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig will do Bond 25, no doubt about it and I'm very happy about that. However,
    on the subject of the next actor, in quite a few previous posts on this thread I have suggested Fassbender, Alexander Scarsgard, Hiddleston, Turner, Scott Eastwood, all of which I though would be good.
    Scrap all that, I have just seen a movie called The Guest starring the next Bond...Dan Stevens.
    The right age, the right look, good in the action, can act, just enough under the radar. I'm off to William Hills.

Jebus, I'd rather have Jamie Bell than all of those choices!
    @doubleoego, now you've got me wanting to rewatch 'To Catch A Thief.' It's been a solid decade since I last saw it, I'd say.
    Top five film of all time for me @Creasy47. I last watched it over the holidays. The definition of style. I actually may prefer it to North By Northwest, purely because of Grace Kelly but also because Grant is a little younger in it. He was one cool cat.
    Top five film of all time for me @Creasy47. I last watched it over the holidays. The definition of style. I actually may prefer it to North By Northwest, purely because of Grace Kelly but also because Grant is a little younger in it. He was one cool cat.

I've watched 'North By Northwest' fairly recently and loved it, but I also recall being blown away by 'To Catch A Thief,' so it's tough to compare the two since I haven't seen the latter in a very long time. Could do for another rewatch of 'Charade,' as well; been a couple of years since I last watched that one, too.

That he most certainly was. 'To Catch A Thief' it is then.
    Charade is another killer film. North By Northwest was my favourite for years, but on a back to back viewing with To Catch A Thief I flipped. The earlier Hitchcock entry is just so classy, and a lot of that is due to Kelly and also the wonderfully scenic locations.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    John Robie, one of the coolest ever screen characters and I love every single piece of clothes he is wearing throughout the film.

@Creasy47 a decade? Seriously??!!
    Go and watch it instantly!
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I love the shout out in GE to this film (with Brosnan in a cravat) in Monaco. Pretty much the same location for the picnic too.
    @BondJasonBond006, too many films to watch for me to have the time to rewatch all the ones I've seen before! Definitely a shame it's been so long since I last saw it, though.
    @BondJasonBond006, too many films to watch for me to have the time to rewatch all the ones I've seen before! Definitely a shame it's been so long since I last saw it, though.
    If you do get a chance to see it again, make sure it's the hi-def copy. It makes the locations come alive.
    @bondjames, I'll be sure to - last time I saw it was on DVD, will aim to go for a truly HD viewing this next time around.
    Could do for another rewatch of 'Charade,' as well; been a couple of years since I last watched that one, too.

Charade is the best Hitchcock film never made by Hitchcock--one of the most charming and pleasurable films ever made.

You people!!

Now I want to watch Charade, To Catch A Thief and North By Northwest :p