No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,438
    I hope that polish scripts/ideas already and wil start filming for the movies as soon as possible. The times that directer wil start in June the year before release is way to late. If there can start filming September that be nice.

But i think Steven Knight should write the movie with them. Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast situation. Warner hired hired Yates in row as directer because the story is overall already known and there trust him, avaible and mabey cheap too. In this case Eon doing same thing with P&W. This can mean Sam Mendes wil be back.

Exept some plot holes and i think Spectre have more. Spectre is more Bond more like QOS then Skyfall. There should pick the best things from QOS, Skyfall and Spectre.
    For example the time there use for Skyfall house is better, whyle it is refreshing is far from Bond. But i think it was the best ending since Goldeneye. But Blofelds new lair was inspyred by QOS hotel a bit better then hotel scene. I believe it was not more then a preview of another new lair in Marocco there whant to buld. I stil hope we wil see a simalar one but then in Mexico what QOS hinted. Whyle i also have another feeling that mabey orginal idea in mind for Mexico replacing Marroco. A lot of confusing of Quantum and Specre, inspecialy because i believe more in Quantum with Blofeld elements.
    Very interesting developments.

P&W are good for first drafts – then get a director and allow them to hire a writer more suited to them. It’s always been the way. Why change it now?

Here’s my take – Craig is pretty much “in”. I think EON have an interesting story (which no doubt plays on Brexit/Britain’s role in the world, etc) and Daniel likes the sound of it. BUT…he’ll only sign on the dotted line once the script is there and the director is in place. Aside from that he’s as much as a lock as possible.

One thing seems certain: This film will be Craig’s final Bond film and it’ll come out in 2019.

I think the recent success of “Logan” and how it serves as an elegiac swansong to Hugh, may have encouraged Craig to want something similar. Just a feeling I have.

Now…..I feel slightly smug; Jack Huston was a name I floated when I first heard back in 2010 that Broccoli hired him for “Strangers on a Train”. I don’t mind Huston. He doesn’t look like Bond to me entirely. But I said the same thing about Craig.

However, they have different energies. Craig didn’t seem right in 2005 as he was known for playing villains, and he had a gruff, working-class, bleary-eyed roughness to him. At the time it didn’t gel with the smooth and suave image of the Brosnan era.

On the other hand, Huston doesn’t have the same intensity of Craig. He seems softer, more cordial and pleasant. He doesn’t have that rough-diamond, edgy quality that Craig has.

But, like I said, I could be sold on him…

morgan-freeman-joins-jack-huston-rodrigo-santoro-at-ben-hur-mexico-city-premiere-04.jpg

I’m very keen on a black actor taking the role. In fact, I actively encourage it. I feel there has to be black British actor who fits the bill. Someone like Trevante Rhodes - I’m not saying that Rhodes should be considered (he’s American) but someone with his same swagger, look and acting talent would make an interesting Bond.

5446c6b985f34be525d77af3e6d052ee.jpg

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm afraid Trevante Rhodes isn't doing it for me. Sorry.

Jack Huston is a decent actor, but he's not Bond. He doesn't have the voice (or if I'm being honest, the chin) for it.

I agree that Logan might be an inspiration. EON tends to follow trends and if Logan makes enough of a splash, it could be a character template. It's either that or something like FF & SW for inspiration, which I certainly hope doesn't happen. Just leave the kid out!

Also, there is a fashionable trend these days to include younger female heroines/sidekicks in a lot of films (even Cruise was in on it with the last Jack Reacher). I hope we don't see something like that being shoehorned in.
    Make him a woman too, while you're at it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Next autumn is not this autumn.
    "This" autumn? It s springtime where I live.
    Trouble is , the bruised, aged, tired, heroic, unshaved, isolated themes that worked so well in Logan also worked well in ....SF,
    so not sure how they can do that again?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Can production even begin without a distributor? I'm guessing not, but is it possible they could and then find a distributor while filming?

Also, will MGM host another conference some time later in the year? Maybe then we'll hear something.

Yes, films can be made without a distributor. A lot of films used to get made and then hawked around to find a distributor. Although something as big as Bond should have distributors falling over themselves to distribute it!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Next autumn is not this autumn.
    "This" autumn? It s springtime where I live.

Yes, then comes this summer and after that this autumn.
    With this news (and therefore -hint at some movement in the project) I've been thinking....maybe they finally announce the distributor at CinemaCon later this month?
    I'm sort of wondering too how realistic would it be for them to eye an early 2018 shoot date with the same late Oct/early Nov 2018 release window? We can talk about years of rewrites on SF and SP but with a lot of movies they get a good script hammered out and polished in a lot less. Worst cases - Suicide Squad, that script was done in 8 weeks. would 8/9 months be enough time for P&W to do the script and get everything polished up?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    RC7 wrote: »
    Interesting. Den of Geek reports John Logan wrote a screenplay for Bond 25.

He didn't. You won't be seeing Logan near a Bond film again.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/james-bond/47846/james-bond-25-regular-screenwriters-reported-to-return

"John Logan had, at least, been working on a screenplay for the movie. But now, the Daily Mail’s Baz Bamigboye is reporting that regular Bond screenwriters Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are being lured back. They’ve worked on every Bond adventure since The World Is Not Enough, and had left the series following Skyfall. However, they were asked back to help get Spectre into shape, and it looks like they’ve agreed to come back again. Again, this hasn’t been confirmed as of yet."
    antovolk wrote: »
    Worst cases - Suicide Squad, that script was done in 8 weeks.
    I wasn't aware of that. This explains a lot.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/james-bond/47846/james-bond-25-regular-screenwriters-reported-to-return

"John Logan had, at least, been working on a screenplay for the movie. But now, the Daily Mail’s Baz Bamigboye is reporting that regular Bond screenwriters Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are being lured back. They’ve worked on every Bond adventure since The World Is Not Enough, and had left the series following Skyfall. However, they were asked back to help get Spectre into shape, and it looks like they’ve agreed to come back again. Again, this hasn’t been confirmed as of yet."

https://thefilmstage.com/news/john-logan-takes-writing-duties-on-24th-bond-film-outline-complete/

In 2012 he was, but now he's not.
  • RC7RC7

Mate, I guarantee you it's bollocks. Logan has done no Bond work since he departed SP.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This beast of a thread has been going in circles for how many pages now?
    This beast of a thread has been going in circles for how many pages now?
    666 pages & counting.
    P & W are responsible for ny favorite TWINE & CR which was more them than Haggis. I do hope they they finish up the Spectre storyline. They were able to write an up to date version of CR hopefully they can write an up to date version on YOLT.
    An up to date version of Fleming's YOLT would be my dream.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So if the film isn't filming until "next autumn" then why have they acquired a helicopter for filming and why are they in "advanced negotiations" with Dubrovnik? Doesn't all seem a bit too early, or is this typical?
    So if the film isn't filming until "next autumn" then why have they acquired a helicopter for filming and why are they in "advanced negotiations" with Dubrovnik? Doesn't all seem a bit too early, or is this typical?

Like I said, I think he means this autumn
    I think P & W have been working on Bond 25 for a few months now. I'm still believing that things are being kept very secret and not wanting anymore leaks.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Does anyone remember around what time the SPECTRE script started being developed? It would be helpful to compare timelines.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

Mate, I guarantee you it's bollocks. Logan has done no Bond work since he departed SP.

Logan was Mendes's collaborator. This is the first real indication Sam meant he wont' be back. And no Sam, no Dan IMO. P&W words as well about they can't repeat the direction of Spectre. It seems to me that they are forming a new direction for a new director and a new Bond actor. I will be sad to see Dan go, however believed for some time he would await to see the script then decide if it is nothing overly appealing he will knock it back and Aiden Turner is EON's go to man.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Bond films start "filming" in December and end in July. Why would they be starting in autumn? Unless they want more time in post production or they're changing the release date. Perhaps they don't want to compete with Star Wars and such so they are moving it to august or something
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Like I said, I think he means this autumn

To be in production by this autumn they would need to be much further down the line than they are at present. But as for early location scouting and negotiations, that can often happen early because, if a particular location is becoming popular, the producers need to secure a deal as soon as possible.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Bond films start "filming" in December and end in July. Why would they be starting in autumn? Unless they want more time in post production or they're changing the release date. Perhaps they don't want to compete with Star Wars and such so they are moving it to august or something

Skyfall started filming 7th November 2011. November is I believe in autumn.

http://www.jamesbond007.se/eng/event/inspelningen_av_skyfall_har_startat
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    With the distribution deal still up in the air as far as we know, could hiring P&W be more than just a creative move? After the debacle of SP, Sony seems to be the only distributor keen on partnering with MGM. By hiring established script writers, could that be a play by EON to show stability and lure in a new distributor?
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    An up to date version of Fleming's YOLT would be my dream.

I'm affraid we already have that with the new Nicolas Winding Refn movie "The Avenging Silence", which was written by P&W. It looks A LOT like YOLT. Take a look at the synopsis...

The spy was one of the leading spies in Europe. An injury inflicted to his vocal cords during a failed mission six years ago left him mute, forcing him to leave his profession. Now, six years later, he is sought out and put on confidential assignment by a former Yakuza, now a retired Japanese businessman in exile in France, to track down and kill the head of the most dangerous Yakuza family in Japan.

Afraid of flying, our spy anonymously boards a cargo ship headed for Tokyo. An onboard explosion sinks the ship and our spy finds himself washed ashore on a life raft in southern Japan. As a mute, our spy must silently journey through Japan seeking 4 clues – symbolizing conquest, war, famine, and death – which will guide him to the unknown location of the Yakuza boss. Meanwhile, the Yakuza boss, known for his 2004 mass slaughter of Yakuza members who had turned against him, is believed to be plotting to reenter the Japanese underworld after living in his own surreptitious world in the mountains, void of all technology. This way of life becomes an obsession for the Yakuza boss. Rumors spread that he had committed suicide years ago but escaped prisoners from his hidden camp told stories of his plan for a comeback. Now rival Yakuza families suspect he is forming a master plan to return, a plan that unburies the most infamous story of Yakuza betrayal.

Our spy finds himself on an existential journey through Japan in search of pieces to the puzzle that will lead him to a confrontation with the ultimate Yakuza boss in a terrifying conclusion.

Source: http://collider.com/nicolas-winding-refn-the-avenging-silence-synopsis/
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    With the distribution deal still up in the air as far as we know, could hiring P&W be more than just a creative move? After the debacle of SP, Sony seems to be the only distributor keen on partnering with MGM. By hiring established script writers, could that be a play by EON to show stability and lure in a new distributor?

It's a possibility.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    l
    Very interesting developments.

P&W are good for first drafts – then get a director and allow them to hire a writer more suited to them. It’s always been the way. Why change it now?

Here’s my take – Craig is pretty much “in”. I think EON have an interesting story (which no doubt plays on Brexit/Britain’s role in the world, etc) and Daniel likes the sound of it. BUT…he’ll only sign on the dotted line once the script is there and the director is in place. Aside from that he’s as much as a lock as possible.

One thing seems certain: This film will be Craig’s final Bond film and it’ll come out in 2019.

I think the recent success of “Logan” and how it serves as an elegiac swansong to Hugh, may have encouraged Craig to want something similar. Just a feeling I have.

Now…..I feel slightly smug; Jack Huston was a name I floated when I first heard back in 2010 that Broccoli hired him for “Strangers on a Train”. I don’t mind Huston. He doesn’t look like Bond to me entirely. But I said the same thing about Craig.

However, they have different energies. Craig didn’t seem right in 2005 as he was known for playing villains, and he had a gruff, working-class, bleary-eyed roughness to him. At the time it didn’t gel with the smooth and suave image of the Brosnan era.

On the other hand, Huston doesn’t have the same intensity of Craig. He seems softer, more cordial and pleasant. He doesn’t have that rough-diamond, edgy quality that Craig has.

But, like I said, I could be sold on him…

morgan-freeman-joins-jack-huston-rodrigo-santoro-at-ben-hur-mexico-city-premiere-04.jpg

I’m very keen on a black actor taking the role. In fact, I actively encourage it. I feel there has to be black British actor who fits the bill. Someone like Trevante Rhodes - I’m not saying that Rhodes should be considered (he’s American) but someone with his same swagger, look and acting talent would make an interesting Bond.

5446c6b985f34be525d77af3e6d052ee.jpg

For the last time: If you need a beard to look serious, manly or Bondian, you are automatically disqualified as a Bond candidate.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That's it @DaltonCraig007! The beard bothers me to no end. That's part of the reason why I can't stand Turner's look; then when I see him without the beard, I understand why he grew one in the first place (I find something weak in that chin-- too small a gap between lower lip and tip of the chin... Gives him a bratty-look over all).