The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Aah just before TSWLM then,interesting.
    Next up is Sherlock Holmes, also available on youtube.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,894
    A film he made long ago, and I've only ever seen once, as ITV gave it a late night showing.
    The Sicilian cross, which Roger was very Badass in.

I don't know if it still is, but that was on youtube, under it's title of The Executors. There's a decent car chase, wherin at one point (see numerous), Rog looks like he's about to pass a brick. Other than those moments, Rog is more meaner than his unflappable Bond image. And you get to see Mike Hammer & James Bond team up.
    Stacey Keach is in it ?
    yes Stacey Keach is in it, bit of a buddy movie I suppose!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Sicilian Cross is a great film if you love Roger Moore. But, other than that, just a mediocre exploitation on the success of The French Connection in the hands of the Italian production copycats.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I remember seeing something about this film but never had the pleasure.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Thanks @MajorDSmythe I'll search for it
    Under its other title
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    With the passing of this great man, I'm sure a few of us will revisit his Bond films, TV shows and other work in the coming weeks and months.
    Having a hero leave us, leaves a massive void. Someone that never knew the impact they had on you. Though I'm sure Sir Rog, must've known how appreciated he was. If the Evening With Sir Roger Moore I attended in Cambridge in 2015 is anything to go by.
    As I come to terms with not having Roger in our lives anymore, it is indeed sad. Rather fittingly after a hiatus from going through the Bond films in random order, the next film on my list was one of my all time faves...Octopussy.
    A more fitting tribute to Sir Rog I don't think I could've picked. And while it did make me sad to think he's gone, I also felt happy to have this as my hero. He put a smile on my face for 35 years, and he put a smile on my face today. You might be gone Sir Roger Moore, but you will never be forgotten.
    One Moore film I'd like to track down is Escape to Athena (1979). It has a mind-boggling cast:
    Roger Moore
    Telly Savalas
    David Niven
    Claudia Cardinale
    Richard Roundtree
    Sonny Bono
    Elliott Gould

Did I mention that Roger plays a Nazi POW camp commandant?
    Great film
    Well that didn't take long, I've noticed a few almost anti-Roger Moore posts today.
    IMHO this shows a total lack of respect. Some people these days have simply no
    Sense of decorum.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    An anti-Roger Moore collective should be burned on sticks. ;)
    I think at least wait until after the funeral, until a retrospective takes place.
    Is anyone else feeling genuine grief? I've been in mourning for 2 days, in spite of the fact that I've had a feeling he or Sean were on their way out for a while now.
  • Tobester95 wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling genuine grief? I've been in mourning for 2 days, in spite of the fact that I've had a feeling he or Sean were on their way out for a while now.

I've been deeply upset by the news as well, it still doesn't feel real, it's never a good feeling when you lose somebody you admired as a kid.
    I thought it was really touching that the other 6 actors to play 007 paid their respects within a short space of time.
    Agreed.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    In case people haven't seen this, Roger Moore did play James Bond, Agent 007 in a comedy sketch in 1964.

Great! Thanks for sharing. It's the first time I have seen the sketch.

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    I don't count myself as a good or even decent video editor, yet I wanted to pay tribute to Sir Roger - so I decided to make a tribute video.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Touching tribute @Jeffrey. Thanks for creating and posting (love the Nobody Does It Better instrumental in the background - that will forever be associated with Sir Rog for me). I so agree with him about films being escapism.

Here is a nice article I came across:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/23/what-made-sir-roger-moore-the-best-james-bond
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Thank you @bondjames, also for sharing that article.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Fellas, just a question. On some news reports I saw footage of Roger apparently celebrating his birthday on a film set. It looked like it was about the time of The Man with the Golden Gun or The Spy Who Loved Me. Does anybody know what this is from?
    I think he turned 50 during the filming of TSWLM , which I know they held a big party. So
    It might be that ?

I think this is from Australian TV, an interviewer remembers his last Interview with Roger.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nice one.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Mayfair Tailor Doug Hayward's wife, Glenys Roberts (a Daily Mail contributor and Conservative Party councillor), shares some personal memories of Sir Rog:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4539804/GLENYS-ROBERTS-s-memories-friend-Roger-Moore.html

--
    This obituary makes a good point that I had not thought about before. Moore indeed did seem endangered in his Bond films, which helped his interpretation greatly in my eyes at least:

"Irreverence and knowingness were integral to his interpretation. But he also seemed far more plausibly endangered as Bond than Connery had ever been. Part of the viewer’s affection and even concern for him could be attributed to his advanced age: Moore was already 45 when he was cast as Bond, whereas Connery made his debut at 32 and Craig was 37. This contributed to the sense that Moore’s wellbeing was actively at risk on screen."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/23/sir-roger-moore-obituary-james-bond

I will add something that I mentioned in another thread a few weeks back: He always seemed like the 'smart' Bond. One who would find a novel way to get himself out of a jam rather than going straight at his opponent.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Great video, @Jeffrey Thank you.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Awesome tribute!