The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Jacob Rees-Mogg, that magnificent anachronism, the MP for North East Somerset (but more accurately, the MP for the 1920s) joins our ranks. For those living beyond the protection of Britannia's trident, Rees-Mogg, is a proud member of Pratt's Club, he drives around in an ancient Bentley, and even when playing cricket in the back garden with his children, wears a Savile Row, double-breasted, suit. He does not own a pair of jeans or trainers, and would never wear a pair of shorts. Famously he went campaigning with his nanny during the 2010 General Election campaign.

He is straight out of the pages of a PG Wodehouse novel and, politics aside, he is popular on all sides of the House of Commons, due to his kindness and courtesy. He was given some quick-fire questions to answer, such as:

Jeeves or Wooster?
    Wooster.

Pin stripes or polo shirt?
    Neither. I don't have a pin-striped suit and I would certainly not wear a polo shirt.

And....

Sean Connery or Daniel Craig?
    Roger Moore, for heaven's sake.

Welcome Jacob. Leave the keys to the Bentley with the chap at the door, and take the chair by the fire next to Sanjeev Bhaskar.
  • Say what you want about Roger Moore and some of his over-the-top movies like Moonraker, but he's by far the most gentleman of all bonds.

He's also far and away better than the three bonds after him!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Say what you want about Roger Moore and some of his over-the-top movies like Moonraker, but he's by far the most gentleman of all bonds.

He's also far and away better than the three bonds after him!

Well who is and isn't the best Bond is subjective. But it's great to see so much love for the great Sir Rog.
    I am currently trying to work my way through Rog's filmography, still a few I have never seen as they have been difficult to get hold of, The Naked Face, Street People and Sherlock Holmes in New York. Anybody seen these, are they worth watching?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,567
    I remember enjoying The Naked Face - one of Roger's last non-Bond starring role I think ( not counting other stuff he did like The Spice Girls Movie). He went for some 'proper' acting.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am currently trying to work my way through Rog's filmography, still a few I have never seen as they have been difficult to get hold of, The Naked Face, Street People and Sherlock Holmes in New York. Anybody seen these, are they worth watching?

Sherlock Holmes in New York is a fun watch. Patrick Macnee is Watson, in case you didn t know.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Seen both Street People and Sherlock Holmes In New York. The first is an Italian production featuring Hollywood actors like Moore himself and Stacy Keach in the lead, and is such written by Ernest Tidyman (The French Connection). Moore' performance shows this how sardonically ruthless he can be in the role of a gangster. The latter is a television film with Moore as Holmes, Patrick Macnee as Watson, and Charlotte Rampling as Irene Adler in an original story. Moore tries hard to give a Holmesian act but knowing him being the happy go lucky type of chap who occasionally plays action men too, I couldn't take him seriously as the dramatic stage-y Sherlock Holmes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Serious isn t always best.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I had a bit of a laugh with this clip from 1964 (9 years before it would become a reality).

The article it's from is below:
    http://www.metv.com/stories/the-saint-predicted-roger-moore-would-become-james-bond-a-decade-early

I've got to give these old Saint episodes a rewatch sometime this year given it's a special one for Sir Rog.
    That made me smile. I love how David Heddison is in this clip too.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Ive just had the surprise pleasure of watching a recorded 'Pretenders' episode and Sir Roger trying to kill Bernard Lee pre Bond....
    Managed to watch the Sicilian Cross / Street People in full on You tube. It was a very interesting watch, although clearly a bad film it was actually pretty entertaining and as mad as a box of frogs, really strange to see Rog in such dark and dirty film!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Personally I've always admired Sir Rog, from The Saint to 007 and even his Lew grade films!
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    In case people haven't seen this, Roger Moore did play James Bond, Agent 007 in a comedy sketch in 1964.

barryt007 wrote: »
    Ive just had the surprise pleasure of watching a recorded 'Pretenders' episode and Sir Roger trying to kill Bernard Lee pre Bond....

What was the Pretenders Barry?
    Oops I meant Persuaders, Nackers,sorry !
    Sixth or seventh episode, wasn't it? That one always gets compared to Moore's The Man Who Haunted Himself which also starred Moore and dealt with split personality issues.
    Sixth or seventh episode, wasn't it? That one always gets compared to Moore's The Man Who Haunted Himself which also starred Moore and dealt with split personality issues.

Thats the one...if someone blinks at you several times it triggers the madness..

Oh ok, thought we had a guest star spot in a show I didn't know about.

Feeling a bit disappointed now :D
    Hahaha i only said it once me olde matey,not 3 times !!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A film he made long ago, and I've only ever seen once, as ITV gave it a late night showing.
    The Sicilian cross, which Roger was very Badass in.
    I havent experienced that yet...
    A film he made long ago, and I've only ever seen once, as ITV gave it a late night showing.
    The Sicilian cross, which Roger was very Badass in.

Just watched this the other day, a really bizarre film, some truly awful dubbing for some of the Italian actors in this film, a plot that really makes no sense but plenty of carnage and violence for no apparent reason, a fantastic entertaining mess, with Rog in the middle of it all. Also should be watched just to see some bizarre flashback scenes with horrendous music playing in the background. A real curio this one.
    :)) I really can't remember much about it, I do remember Roger breaking a guys neck
    Which was fairly brutal and I was thinking , if he did that as Bond he'd be considered
    A much tougher Bond.
    Yea, he does break someone's neck, very brutal. It does feature a pretty great car chase involving some oil tankers. Also Roger does all his own running!
    :)) That's a first.
    When was this made ?

I know, I know, I know. ;)
    NicNac wrote: »

I know, I know, I know. ;)

I walked into that one didn't I....

X_X