Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The Ice battle between the Aston and the Jaguar (2 British legend cars) is brilliant though,with the score and Bond flipping the Aston back on its axis with the ejector seat...clever

Oh it's a great chase. One of the best. Tends to get lost for me in that oh so troublesome final half/third of the movie, but it's a real diamond in the Zao face, as it were.

I actually like Zao's diamond face, as we see Bond create the henchman's disfigurement. It's much better than, say, SP.

The problem is that neither Yune nor Will Yun Lee are particularly good actors. The only good ones in DAD are Rosamund Pike, Brosnan (finally hitting his stride), and Dench.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 10,588
    echo wrote: »
    The Ice battle between the Aston and the Jaguar (2 British legend cars) is brilliant though,with the score and Bond flipping the Aston back on its axis with the ejector seat...clever

Oh it's a great chase. One of the best. Tends to get lost for me in that oh so troublesome final half/third of the movie, but it's a real diamond in the Zao face, as it were.

I actually like Zao's diamond face, as we see Bond create the henchman's disfigurement. It's much better than, say, SP.

The problem is that neither Yune nor Will Yun Lee are particularly good actors. The only good ones in DAD are Rosamund Pike, Brosnan (finally hitting his stride), and Dench.
    Emilio Echavarría, Kenneth Tsang...
    Basically cameos.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    GBF wrote: »
    I wonder what Korean people think of such an idea?
    As a soldier on-peninsula knowing the next film had locations there, I asked my KATUSA (Korean Augmentation the the US Army) counterpart for his thoughts.

A normally calm, reserved soul he erupted into an obscenity-laden tirade that "BLEEPIN KOREA DOESN'T NEED BLEEPIN JAMES BOND TO BLEEPIN BLEEPIN SAVE US, THAT BLEEPIN BLEEPIN BLEEP BLEEP."

So I don't think he eventually saw the film.

I'm surprised a South Korean had a problem with DAD. As an American, I don't have a problem with Bond saving us in GF. Heck, I even look past the fact that DAD makes the CIA look like jerks. The North I could see having a fit, but no one cares what those propagandists think.
    I believe the main reason was because Bond and Jinx at the very final scene were having sex in front of a deity statue Koreans seem to worship, hence insulting the sanctity of their faith. That's the main reason I remember reading about South Koreans protesting the film.
    No more Judi Dench's M or Vesper, please! I loved them both but enough is enough.
  • echo wrote: »

I like Zao's diamond face, too. Clever idea for a henchman and visually striking. I was making a wordplay on 'diamond in the rough.'

Agree about the weaker performances. They're okay, but not great.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    As a soldier on-peninsula knowing the next film had locations there, I asked my KATUSA (Korean Augmentation the the US Army) counterpart for his thoughts.

A normally calm, reserved soul he erupted into an obscenity-laden tirade that "BLEEPIN KOREA DOESN'T NEED BLEEPIN JAMES BOND TO BLEEPIN BLEEPIN SAVE US, THAT BLEEPIN BLEEPIN BLEEP BLEEP."

So I don't think he eventually saw the film.

I'm surprised a South Korean had a problem with DAD. As an American, I don't have a problem with Bond saving us in GF. Heck, I even look past the fact that DAD makes the CIA look like jerks. The North I could see having a fit, but no one cares what those propagandists think.
    I believe the main reason was because Bond and Jinx at the very final scene were having sex in front of a deity statue Koreans seem to worship, hence insulting the sanctity of their faith. That's the main reason I remember reading about South Koreans protesting the film.

Ah! Well that's understandable then.
  • GBFGBF
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No more Judi Dench's M or Vesper, please! I loved them both but enough is enough.

Could you please go back in time about two years and shout that loudly and repeatedly outside of EON headquarters.

Yes I wonder how many more videos M made before her death...

Could you please go back in time about two years and shout that loudly and repeatedly outside of EON headquarters.

She did 'M does Dallas' but I think the British Government banned it when it came to the Shetland pony scene.

Slide whistles
    Tarzan calls
    JW Pepper
    Beach boy songs
    Clown makeup
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    deucelow wrote: »
    Slide whistles
    Tarzan calls
    JW Pepper
    Beach boy songs
    Clown makeup
    I'm sensing a pattern here.
    Walther P99.
    @bondjames

Yeah fair point.

I should have added

title song fourteen minutes in
    gun barrel at end of film
    hotels in deserts or hotels made of ice
    direct sequels

@bondjames

Yeah fair point.

I should have added

direct sequels

Definitely don't want these two !!

@bondjames

Yeah fair point.

I should have added

direct sequels
    Agreed on all of these,
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Walther P99.
    There's a huge chance it might return. Apart from the film series, all existing media circulating around and into Bond has the man equipped with the P99 itself.

Personally, though, I prefer the PPK. Or maybe even the PPK/S from Skyfall. That shouldn't be a one-time thing for Bond to have a palm-print reading sidearm.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Walther P99.
    There's a huge chance it might return. Apart from the film series, all existing media circulating around and into Bond has the man equipped with the P99 itself.

Personally, though, I prefer the PPK. Or maybe even the PPK/S from Skyfall. That shouldn't be a one-time thing for Bond to have a palm-print reading sidearm.

Sure darling.
    Darling ? something we don't know about here ? @tanaka123 @ClarkDevlin ?
    Darling ? something we don't know about here ? @tanaka123 @ClarkDevlin ?
    I'm in the dark as much as you are.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    It's a figure of speech. Women nagging, going on and on, and all that. An attempt to shut it down.

At least, that's what I think it was.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2017 Posts: 45,489

THAT BLEEPIN BLEEPIN BLEEP BLEEP."

Korean is such a fun language.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    By the time OO7 and Jinx luxuriated with the diamonds in the temple they were in China, I believe. It's offensive in a more general Asian way, if you're Buddhist.

The Korean complaints toward the film on its release were more about the US military barking commands to the Republic of Korean Army. In their own country.

My complaint: no beautiful Korean Bond Girl, since the Scorpion Lady doesn't count.The_African_Emperor_Scorpion_600.jpg

bondjames wrote: »
    It's a figure of speech. Women nagging, going on and on, and all that. An attempt to shut it down.

At least, that's what I think it was.

Fun, fun.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    It really surprises me how many Bond fans seem to enjoy DAD. I personally always disliked it. And there is actually no scene or any part in that film that I look forward to. Even the things that aren't bad are not overly great either but rather average. I think Brosnan is OK, I llike the sword fight, the Q branch scene and half of the scenes with Miranda Frost. But that's about it.

Even the PTS that many people seem to love does not mean anything to me. It is one of the many absurd action scenes of the Brosnan era overload with explosions, mashine guns and silliness (surfing to Noth Korea???). The film is so full of nonsense that I even don't mind the stupid Madonna Cameo.

But the worst thing is the overall plot. So I cannot understand those who say that there is actually a great film behind DAD which is just ruined by some silly elements and bad casting choices. I would understand this argument for TWINE but not with regard to DAD. The overall villain scheme is ludicrous and the villain changing his gene structure in order to look like a Brit is quite offensive. I wonder what Korean people think of such an idea?

Well said! =D>
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    The problems with Die Another Day are tenfold.

However I do agree with some of the above posters that there are still elements to enjoy. The film is, at very least, spectacular and a real visual treat. There are also some interesting side characters, such as Raoul. Toby Stepehen's hams things up, and he was born to play a sneering villain. The swordfight at Blades, Iceberg car chase and the infiltration of the gene therapy clinic are all excellent action sequences. Also, looking past the puns, Brosnan has a nice, world weary performance as Bond.

Unfortunately the Pro's outweigh the Con's and Die Another Day comfortably sits in the bottom 3 of the series for me.
    I actually enjoy DAD ...its a fun romp and thoroughly entertaining .
    It has actually risen in my list from #23 to #20 recently.
  • DAD appears to be having a small renaissance! There are some truly incomprehensible things in that film, but there is much to enjoy as well. I may revisit it soon myself.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Never want to see in a Bond film again? Deus ex Machina gadgets (coincidentally, Q has given 007 "equipment" that unknowingly Bond will use to get out of sticking situations (exploding watches)).
    I'd much rather "realistic" gadgets (hidden compartments in a briefcase or in a car where Bond can stash a sharp knife or three).
    The writers were lazy in SP, especially re-cycling old gadgets (but with a twist!). Since we can pretty much do anything on our phone, the writers hafta find a way of massaging equipment in the film that doesn't stand out. And should be something that seems realistic.
    Doing a cute tour of Q's office worked well in the 60s, 70s, 80s and even the early to mid 90s.
    But tech has come so far nowadays that to be ahead of it would border on satire or sci-fi, and would take this viewer out of the film.
    Keep the gadgets grounded, or;

No Q worked very well in CR and QOS. Perhaps we can give Ben the next film off?....
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Fleming didn't have Q; and the aforementioned films didn't suffer by not having him in it.

Week by week this will build into a beautiful collection. Part 1 just 1.99, out now.