Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Alex Dimitrios? ;)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Yes it does matter. A none Brit can never truely master an English accent.

Are you specifically talking about English accent, or some form of British accent? Because Connery didn't have an English accent, and I think he sounded better than any other Bond actor. I believe most people would agree with me.

British. But Connery didn't put on an accent he used his subtle scottish accent.

I think a subtle Scottish, or English with a hint of Scottish is the most appropriate accent for Bond, given his heritage and the places he lived. I don't want him sounding too posh.

But that's really not that important if the actor has other qualities.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That Indian chap above doesn't do it for me, I'm sorry. Perhaps he could work as an operative in their version of MI6 (I believe it's called IB), but not as Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    That Indian chap above doesn't do it for me, I'm sorry. Perhaps he could work as an operative in their version of MI6 (I believe it's called IB), but not as Bond.

Agree. Don't think Bond as mildly good looking kebab shop owner works for me.
    Hahaha love it.....totally agree chaps....
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I've never been to the cinema and seen a Bollywood film on show. I've seen them on TV and they are really crap. Tacky. Maybe their popular in Bradford and Birmingham though.

That's because you watch them with Western eyes. We actually want a storyline, they just want entertainment and good songs. Anything goes in a bollywood film. If you really want to laugh: watching their remake of 'The Italian Job' is absolutely hilarious, it makes no sense at all. But you have to watch them through children's eyes in a way.

This counts for the action films. The more serious ones can actually be good films in the Western's perspective of film making.

My absolute favorite is Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela. A fun but still very romantic take on Shakespeare. It has absolutely everything: catchy music, very, no, very sensual seduction, fun action, revenge, love, betreyal. All shot at a location you'll like, Udaipur (where the floating palace is).

Oh and on the 'British' accent: never under estimate the quality of someone's accent. I often have to explain to Brits that no, I'm not from the north close to the Scottish border. Never been there. I was born and have lived all my life on the continent.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I totally agree, I do watch them with Western eyes. But my point is I don't like them.

I don't under estimate the quality of someone's accent, but my point was that non brit actors can't 'do' an effective brit accent (whether Irish, Scottish or English).
    I totally agree, I do watch them with Western eyes. But my point is I don't like them.

I don't under estimate the quality of someone's accent, but my point was that non brit actors can't 'do' an effective brit accent (whether Irish, Scottish or English).
    I don't agree on this last part. As I've said, it's a citizenship. That's all. If someone is educated and brought up in England they can do an English accent as well as anyone. There are several highly educated government officials all over the world who speak English better (and with a more authentic accent) than several of our Bond actors can.
    I see your point, but can't agree until you give me an actual acting example of an effective accent of a non brit playing a brit?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @suavejmf, not a Bond actor-worthy topic but, I thought Olivia Wilde, an american actress, did a brilliant job at speaking with a British accent in Rush (2013). I thought it was very convincing I doubted it was her and started questioning my eyes.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Just had a look on YouTube, it's ok, I'll give you that. What about a male example? Anyone?

Quite a few A-Listers in this list of awful acting: http://whatculture.com/film/10-famous-american-actors-awful-british-accents?page=11.
    The women tend to do it better admittedly. Streep was decent in Iron Lady. Gillian Anderson is always excellent.

I'll admit I can't think of any males off the top of my head. Hypothetically, it shouldn't matter though, which is my point. That doesn't mean one should actively pursue a non British actor for the part. Of course, a Brit is the most likely choice, as it should be. Just that one shouldn't exclude non-Brits if they are up to the job.
    Idris Elba reacts to internet rumour Daniel Craig will return as James Bond:

EvaRYf.jpg

;))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Why? He was never a candidate. ;)
    talos7 wrote: »
    Why? He was never a candidate. ;)

......because Bond is white.
    The women tend to do it better admittedly. Streep was decent in Iron Lady. Gillian Anderson is always excellent.

I'll admit I can't think of any males off the top of my head. Hypothetically, it shouldn't matter though, which is my point. That doesn't mean one should actively pursue a non British actor for the part. Of course, a Brit is the most likely choice, as it should be. Just that one shouldn't exclude non-Brits if they are up to the job.

I sure hope Gillian Anderson has a good British accent: she was raised partly in England!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I've had the pleasure of seeing Gillian Anderson on stage she has a faultless English Accent .
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just watch her in the fall. Amazing AMAZING woman.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I sure hope Gillian Anderson has a good British accent: she was raised partly in England!

I'll give you that one, Julianne Moore can also put on a decent English accent. However, no one has named a male actor yet.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Nikolaj Coster-Waldau can do an excellent British/English accent.
    Ironically, Myers was pretty good (in an exaggerated fashion) in various personas throughout the Austin Powers series.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I can still detect Danish in his pronunciations, but I do like Coster-Waldau. Maybe he and Hiddles can fight it out for the part of Simon Templar rather than Bond though.

And Myers @bondjames was raised practically a Brit whilst growing up in Canada by his English parents, who exposed him to Seventies British sitcoms and the like. Though that being said, he's English accent in Inglorious Bastards was pretty awful.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondsum wrote: »
    I can still detect Danish in his pronunciations, but I do like Coster-Waldau. Maybe he and Hiddles can fight it out for the part of Simon Templar rather than Bond though.

Pierce Brosnan should never have been Bond, but he should have been The Saint.

Not if Game of Thrones is anything to go by he can't.

Templer should be played by a Brit. The Moore version was class, the Kilmer version was dire.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

The Moore version was class, the Kilmer version was dire.

Agreed, and agreed.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 175
    I've heard that Robert Downey Jr has been decent with a British accent in Chaplin and Sherlock Holmes. Alan Tudyk and Johnny Depp are supposedly good. Also, the guys in Spinal Tap were supposedly pretty good. As an American I wouldn't be able to tell.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Kilmer version of Templar was an abomination.
    And Myers @bondjames was raised practically a Brit whilst growing up in Canada by his English parents, who exposed him to Seventies British sitcoms and the like. Though that being said, he's English accent in Inglorious Bastards was pretty awful.
    True, but he was excellent as that Scottish Fat Bastard.
    I'm inclined to agree. He would have been a better Saint.
    Templer should be played by a Brit. The Moore version was class, the Kilmer version was dire.
    Not sure about the Brit part (as I said, I think it depends on the actor) but I agree that Kilmer was a disgraceful abomination. The film's only worth watching for Shue and the always excellent Rade Serbedzija, as well as some interesting early filming in Moscow before it became fashionable.
    I've heard that Robert Downey Jr has been decent with a British accent in Chaplin and Sherlock Holmes. Alan Tudyk and Johnny Depp are supposedly good. Also, the guys in Spinal Tap were supposedly pretty good. As an American I wouldn't be able to tell.

Downey Jr and Depps attempts at English accents are awful. Both good actors, but they cant do the accent convincingly. Reference From Hell as Depps worst attempt.