Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ryan Gosling fits the mold:

A good looking dude but in an untraditional way. Looks like he could seduce but could intimidate equally as well. He's stylish and masculine. His voice is good as well. I don't even need to mention his sex appeal.
    I don't see him as Bond personally, but I agree that he is a very cool customer, particular in Murder by Numbers and Fractured, where he is very smooth with Bond alum Rosamund Pike.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I just stumbled across this actor, Joshua Sasse. I know nothing about him, other than tabloid chatter, but visually he gives off a strong Connery vibe to me. Any thoughts?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3173770/mediaindex?ref_=nm_phs_md_sm

[img][/img]8fc25755-00a5-45f0-80da-21e7b9b1a4c0_zps9ut2jgbs.jpg

[img][/img]d34c0524-6056-4cd2-b658-366a5f3360a4_zpswrqu0xzo.png

I know nothing about him but on some pics on imdb he does have that vibe. If he can act and has a good baritone voice then he could be it. And he's young now but not that much and for the next movie I think he'd be the right age. IF he has the acting chop and presence necessary.
  • Ryan Gosling seems more like a noir detective to me. Not a hard-as-nails MI6 spy.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the measured response, I felt a bit nervous throwing that out. On the Brit angle, do you think it really matters, like really matters, whether or not Bond is played by a British actor. Good actors can become anyone by their very nature and I think that a non Brit who is right in every respect except their nationality is better than a sub par but British actor. I'm not necessarily
    referring to Scarsgard here just actors in general because really decent Brits for the role are proving tricky to pin down at the moment.

Yes it does matter. A none Brit can never truely master an English accent. As an Englishman I can see through the fakes everytime. There are also plenty of worthy Brit actors out there.....Brits are among the best and greatest actors of all time both in the past and today. No need to change.
    Ryan Gosling fits the mold:
    Ryan-Gosling-Drive-movie-image-2.jpg

A good looking dude but in an untraditional way. Looks like he could seduce but could intimidate equally as well. He's stylish and masculine. His voice is good as well. I don't even need to mention his sex appeal.

He's a great actor. But he's Canadian, so no.
    Bond doesn t have to be British of course, but Skarsgård should stick to Tarzan.

Yes he does.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Some interesting trivia regarding the casting of Bond in GE I didn't know. (Not sure how accurate it is.)
    Paul McGann was the original choice for the role of Bond after Liam Neeson turned down the role. He would have been cast in the role had Pierce Brosnan turned down the role.
    From IMDB Goldeneye trivia.
    At 5'8 he's also the shortest actor that could've been Bond. An unusual choice for OO7, but then so was Craig for many. Will it be the same with Bond #7 ?
    Neeson would have been interesting, McGann would have been awful.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Ryan Gosling seems more like a noir detective to me. Not a hard-as-nails MI6 spy.
    As far as noir detectives go, Gosling might make an acceptable Sam Spade, or maybe a Philip Marlowe. However, someone like Mike Hammer would probably need to be played by someone a bit rougher looking.
    I never heard the story about Paul McGann playing Bond for GE. I remember the names mentioned to replace Tim in the polls being Pierce, Liam, Hugh Grant, Mel Gibson, and I believe possibly Ralph Fiennes.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the measured response, I felt a bit nervous throwing that out. On the Brit angle, do you think it really matters, like really matters, whether or not Bond is played by a British actor. Good actors can become anyone by their very nature and I think that a non Brit who is right in every respect except their nationality is better than a sub par but British actor. I'm not necessarily
    referring to Scarsgard here just actors in general because really decent Brits for the role are proving tricky to pin down at the moment.

Yes it does matter. A none Brit can never truely master an English accent. As an Englishman I can see through the fakes everytime. There are also plenty of worthy Brit actors out there.....Brits are among the best and greatest actors of all time both in the past and today. No need to change.

Is that why we had an Australian and an Irishman in the role? And what exactly is an English accent? And who sre these worthy British actors you speak of because they haven't been mentioned here or did I miss their names submitted for suggestion?
    I get people want the Bond actor to be British and I also would prefer it this way but I also feel it is by no means necessary a prerequisite for the actor to be British. There's already precedent anyway that craps on the notion the actor needs to be British.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I've said before, it's just a nationality. There are many people in the UK these days who hail from other parts originally, but who speak excellent English. Certainly I would be open to them.

Heck, even if someone isn't British but was British educated (Oxbridge for instance) in his youth and could play the role, I'd consider them.

One has to keep a look out for the best actor, rather than nationality imho. If he is British, that's a welcome bonus.
    Well said and I very much agree. James Bond is just a fictional character; everything about him is fantasy; as long as we can get an appropriate actor who can believably sell what's required of the role then that's all that matters in this regard.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yes I agree. A Brit would probably be preferable however if it's the right actor it doesn't matter a huge amount. That was what I was canvassing opinion on a few a few posts ago, it's certainly an opinion splitter.
    Back in the early 70's Burt Reynolds and Adam West were considered for the role. Cubby Broccoli was always pro British for Bond but even he was open to the idea if the right person came along (I'm not saying they were the right people BTW)
    On that basis Eon should cast their net far and wide post DC to find the best man. I'm British by the way.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They also wanted Eastwood.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Interesting. Wonder if Scott Eastwood is now on the radar.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t know, but it doesn t seem like he has that certain edge his father had.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,970
    I don t know, but it doesn t seem like he has that certain edge his father had.

I agree 100%. Some say he's a chip off the ole block; they're right, only a chip ;)

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Scott has the looks but not the voice nor the chops to backup his acting ability.
  • Idris Elba - the first Black Bond
    Damian Lewis? NEVER. NYET. Nein!
    Fassbender, Hiddleston and Cavil - too smarmy good looking - ditto for O'Connell and Madden.
    Ben Barnes - maybe, if he grows up a bit.
    Aiden Turner - maybe, but, please, shave off the hipster scruffy beards.
    Anyone who has worn, will possibly wear, or is thinking about wearing a man-bun - ought to be shot, drawn and quartered.
    Jamie Bell - could do a young Daniel Craig Bond - but don't any of these guys own a razor blade?
    Jason Statham would have been a great Bond - he's such a bad good guy in his flicks - too bad about the lack of surface hair, though.

The problem with most of them - aside from their too-good looks, are their chins. Where do they all shop to get those squared-off, chiseled chins? Walmart? Cosco? Every man jack of them have rock like chins…pull three teeth from the back of your mouth to get that sucked-in side of the face look, topped off with a chin you could break rocks with, and pile on some wavy locks. Their looks are a distraction. It's like going into a pub and the Bond-wannabe is at the bar ordering a double Bourbon on the rocks. All the girls are falling over themselves trying to sidle up to the gent. And all the gent wants to do is pick up the other Bond look-alike in the WC. We need a normal, decent-looking guy, who doesn't stand out when on undercover assignment, who gets the girls, not because he's the best looking in the room, but because he exudes an aura of danger, mystery, and can dangle a ciggie out of the corner of his mouth whilst talking.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Is that why we had an Australian and an Irishman in the role? And what exactly is an English accent? And who sre these worthy British actors you speak of because they haven't been mentioned here or did I miss their names submitted for suggestion?
    I get people want the Bond actor to be British and I also would prefer it this way but I also feel it is by no means necessary a prerequisite for the actor to be British. There's already precedent anyway that craps on the notion the actor needs to be British.

Australia is in the Commonwealth and Lazenby's accent was his weakness anyhow. Plus we own part of Ireland. So acceptable. The worthy British actors I speak of are Fassbender, Hiddleston, Craig, Bale and Farrell. There is no precedent that the actor can be a none Brit as the English accent put on by say American actors is always awful. Bond has to be played by a British actor. Period.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    JohnDrake wrote: »
    Idris Elba - the first Black Bond
    Damian Lewis? NEVER. NYET. Nein!
    Fassbender, Hiddleston and Cavil - too smarmy good looking - ditto for O'Connell and Madden.
    Ben Barnes - maybe, if he grows up a bit.
    Aiden Turner - maybe, but, please, shave off the hipster scruffy beards.
    Anyone who has worn, will possibly wear, or is thinking about wearing a man-bun - ought to be shot, drawn and quartered.
    Jamie Bell - could do a young Daniel Craig Bond - but don't any of these guys own a razor blade?
    Jason Statham would have been a great Bond - he's such a bad good guy in his flicks - too bad about the lack of surface hair, though.

The problem with most of them - aside from their too-good looks, are their chins. Where do they all shop to get those squared-off, chiseled chins? Walmart? Cosco? Every man jack of them have rock like chins…pull three teeth from the back of your mouth to get that sucked-in side of the face look, topped off with a chin you could break rocks with, and pile on some wavy locks. Their looks are a distraction. It's like going into a pub and the Bond-wannabe is at the bar ordering a double Bourbon on the rocks. All the girls are falling over themselves trying to sidle up to the gent. And all the gent wants to do is pick up the other Bond look-alike in the WC. We need a normal, decent-looking guy, who doesn't stand out when on undercover assignment, who gets the girls, not because he's the best looking in the room, but because he exudes an aura of danger, mystery, and can dangle a ciggie out of the corner of his mouth whilst talking.

Jude Law the next Shaft! Colin Firth as Axel Foley! Jackie Chan as Sherlock Holmes. All stupid suggestions, just like Elba as Bond. Plus Bond has to be handsome! Its part of the aura and confidence of the character. Your post seems like your the ugly bloke in the bar wishing you were the Bond a like.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    Yeah "we own part of Ireland", so I doubt there would be any controversy over merging British with Irish national identity...
    I personally believe it's one of the great tragedies that Chris Bale didn't become Bond. He would have been perfection. Whenever I watch him as Wayne he screams 007 to me.
    gumbolt wrote: »
    Yeah "we own part of Ireland", so I doubt there would be any controversy over merging British with Irish national identity...

Exactly.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I personally believe it's one of the great tragedies that Chris Bale didn't become Bond. He would have been perfection. Whenever I watch him as Wayne he screams 007 to me.

Bang on. I thought it when I watched American Psycho in 2000 too.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883

Exactly. That was the film that made it clear he was the man for the job. I was happy he was cast as Batman, because it is my 2nd favourite franchise, but it was bittersweet because I knew EON had missed out on someone special.

Bale as Bond and Neeson as Blofeld. That would have been something. I feel it as I watch Batman Begins.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote: »

Australia is in the Commonwealth and Lazenby's accent was his weakness anyhow. Plus we own part of Ireland. So acceptable. The worthy British actors I speak of are Fassbender, Hiddleston, Craig, Bale and Farrell. There is no precedent that the actor can be a none Brit as the English accent put on by say American actors is always awful. Bond has to be played by a British actor. Period.

I don't agree with the Bond actor needing to be British but in any case, Craig aside, you might want to come up with some new names as "worthy" Bond actors because those guys you mentioned aka the usual suspects will never be Bond.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    You asked me to quote worthy actors not exam whether it would happen or not. Also Fassbender and Hiddleston could be Bond.
    I'm not sure on Farrell. He has never impressed me. Too short too. The others could do it. Of the lot, Hiddles is the guy I'd want. Fassbender arguably is too famous.

Exactly. That was the film that made it clear he was the man for the job. I was happy he was cast as Batman, because it is my 2nd favourite franchise, but it was bittersweet because I knew EON had missed out on someone special.

Bale as Bond and Neeson as Blofeld. That would have been something. I feel it as I watch Batman Begins.

Yep. Neeson would have been a good Bond too. His acting in Schindlers List was exceptional.