No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Craig was playing an old Bond in 2012. He's too old now to play a young Bond.

They shouldn't be focusing on Bond's age at all. Just get on with telling a story about a secret agent thwarting plans of the enemy. Simple.

But they've done that many many times already. They did that with Brosnan and ran out of steam and ideas because they were essentially re-working the same ideas in the same way over and over again. That's why they shook things up with Craig and they have enjoyed enormous commercial and, mostly, critical success. They made the right decision to re-boot Bond and explore other aspects of the character and his world which they had not really focused so strongly on before.

Yes, I agree with this.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Here’s some interesting food for thought whilst we wait for some news….

While the Bond movies grows another coating of dust, many other big Hollywood franchises are dominating the news cycle. One film that is getting a lot of attention is the new Batman film. Interestingly enough, the hiring of Matt Reeves is a terrific decision. I’m actually a bit gutted his name wasn’t on the Bond shortlist (EON need to get a move on, or a lot of the great directors will get booked up).

However, word came out that Ridley Scott is waiting in the wings to take over. It got me thinking that Scott could do a Bond film. Ridley’s films are so influenced by the script, he’s an executer and when the script is top-notch, he can deliver. In this sense, he isn’t dissimilar to the journeymen helmers who have long been associated to the Bond franchise. Plus his name has considerable clout. Maybe a Ridley Scott directed Bond film could be a good idea? Especially, for people who are fed up of auters coming in and trying to leave their stamp.

He's made a considerable number of duds recently but The Martian was a return to form. Once again, if you get a great script together, there is no one better to execute it than Scott. (His brother, Tony, was also in the frae at one point to direct QOS). He also woul get a cast together that is arguably better than the ones Mendes did.

on-set-prometheus-ridley-scott-image-2-1-1200x520.jpg
    http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1624450/could-ridley-scott-direct-ben-afflecks-solo-batman-movie

Another story that interested me was the recent hiring of Coen brothers to rework the Scarface script. The Coens are known for their own idiosyncratic directorial films, but they are not above being guns for hire. They wrote the script for Angelina Jolie’s Unbroken and Spielberg’s Bridge of Spies, amongst others. I can’t imagine that they would write the script from scratch, but I can imagine them coming in and retooling an existing draft. Maybe get P&W to hammer out a script and then get the Coens to sprinkle their magic.

Imagine Daniel Craig’s final Bond film being directed by Ridley Scott and written by the Coen Brothers? That’s the announcement we’re all waiting for.

joel-ethan-coen-1200x520.jpeg
    http://theplaylist.net/coen-brothers-putting-pens-scarface-remake-20170210/

Also, it’s worth mentioning that David Mackenzie is eyeing the Scarface remake. Another example of a brilliant director busying himself with another project. Eon need to hurry.

That would be absolutely amazing, 100x better than Mendes.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    octofinger wrote: »
    Point of order: do we know for sure that the helicopter is to be used in Bond25 itself? I could still very much imagine that it's to be used for something tangential - promo stuff, shooting an ad, making an exhibit, etc. . .

They said it was for Bond 25 specifically.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883

They shouldn't be focusing on Bond's age at all. Just get on with telling a story about a secret agent thwarting plans of the enemy. Simple.

But they've done that many many times already. They did that with Brosnan and ran out of steam and ideas because they were essentially re-working the same ideas in the same way over and over again. That's why they shook things up with Craig and they have enjoyed enormous commercial and, mostly, critical success. They made the right decision to re-boot Bond and explore other aspects of the character and his world which they had not really focused so strongly on before.
    While it's true that the Brosnan era was a joke, I don't think that necessarily meant that they had to go on the path they are on now. They executed extremely poorly during the 90's. Disgracefully so imho. It was a cliched and embarrassing pastiche. That was their mistake.

If they had better writers, a better cast, better directors & more experienced producers they could have continued with standalone stories with light continuity and been critically successful then if they wanted to imho.

They made a conscious decision to go on this tangent. It has undoubtedly been successful but I think it's run its course, at least on the evidence of the latest entry. At least from my perspective, it's time to get back to basics.

The big question remains whether the current EON even know how to deliver a proper formula film. I contend that the last great one was GE, which was made when Cubby was still with us.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Bond wil fit better with directer of first Rise Of The Planet of the apes directer.

Tony Scott was directer there whant for QOS and kild him self with jumping from a bridge. He whas deprest and producers no was possible to much for him too. Man On Fire (2004) was possible reasen why there whant him and possible also writer of that movie. If deside for stil asking that writer i wil not say no. Ridley Scott is no Bond material.
    bondjames wrote: »

While it's true that the Brosnan era was a joke, I don't think that necessarily meant that they had to go on the path they are on now. They executed extremely poorly during the 90's. Disgracefully so imho. It was a cliched and embarrassing pastiche. That was their mistake.

If they had better writers, a better cast, better directors & more experienced producers they could have continued with standalone stories with light continuity and been critically successful then if they wanted to imho.

They made a conscious decision to go on this tangent. It has undoubtedly been successful but I think it's run its course, at least on the evidence of the latest entry. At least from my perspective, it's time to get back to basics.

The big question remains whether the current EON even know how to deliver a proper formula film. I contend that the last great one was GE, which was made when Cubby was still with us.

Wise words re Bond in the 90's. But Bond does not exist in a cultural vacuum so it's interesting to consider, what was it about the 90s that produced/encouraged/inspired the James Bond we got? Was the 90s just a poor decade all round? (as an 80s fan, I'm happy to go down the route)
    patb wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Wise words re Bond in the 90's. But Bond does not exist in a cultural vacuum so it's interesting to consider, what was it about the 90s that produced/encouraged/inspired the James Bond we got? Was the 90s just a poor decade all round? (as an 80s fan, I'm happy to go down the route)
    I think they were burnt by the relative lack of commercial success in the mid to late 80's. The LTK experience in particular must have been quite bruising.

So they perhaps wanted to make Bond more commercially viable rather than authentic, and if that meant catering to American's expectations of what Bond was (in a lowest common denominator cliched sense) in order to boost box office, then so be it. I think that's why we saw more American actresses and Americanisms creep in post-GE, in combination with more machine gun mindless action. It seemed to be a conscious decision on EON's part. I think they were chasing a certain demographic in order to rebuild Bond's popularity with a new generation.

The 90's were the 'Seinfeld' (much ado about nothing) decade after all, and Bond played into it well in order to survive. Instantly forgettable.

While the Bond movies grows another coating of dust, many other big Hollywood franchises are dominating the news cycle. One film that is getting a lot of attention is the new Batman film. Interestingly enough, the hiring of Matt Reeves is a terrific decision. I’m actually a bit gutted his name wasn’t on the Bond shortlist (EON need to get a move on, or a lot of the great directors will get booked up).

However, word came out that Ridley Scott is waiting in the wings to take over. It got me thinking that Scott could do a Bond film. Ridley’s films are so influenced by the script, he’s an executer and when the script is top-notch, he can deliver. In this sense, he isn’t dissimilar to the journeymen helmers who have long been associated to the Bond franchise. Plus his name has considerable clout. Maybe a Ridley Scott directed Bond film could be a good idea? Especially, for people who are fed up of auters coming in and trying to leave their stamp.

He's made a considerable number of duds recently but The Martian was a return to form. Once again, if you get a great script together, there is no one better to execute it than Scott. (His brother, Tony, was also in the frae at one point to direct QOS). He also woul get a cast together that is arguably better than the ones Mendes did.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1624450/could-ridley-scott-direct-ben-afflecks-solo-batman-movie

Another story that interested me was the recent hiring of Coen brothers to rework the Scarface script. The Coens are known for their own idiosyncratic directorial films, but they are not above being guns for hire. They wrote the script for Angelina Jolie’s Unbroken and Spielberg’s Bridge of Spies, amongst others. I can’t imagine that they would write the script from scratch, but I can imagine them coming in and retooling an existing draft. Maybe get P&W to hammer out a script and then get the Coens to sprinkle their magic.

Imagine Daniel Craig’s final Bond film being directed by Ridley Scott and written by the Coen Brothers? That’s the announcement we’re all waiting for.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that David Mackenzie is eyeing the Scarface remake. Another example of a brilliant director busying himself with another project. Eon need to hurry.

Great call on Ridley Scott! What a coup he would be for a Bond Director!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Naomie Harris discusses Sam Mendes vision for Moneypenny on AOL.

Which leaves the question, what would MP be like if Mendes was never involved in Bond? And what will she be like if/when he leaves the franchise?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Great call on Ridley Scott! What a coup he would be for a Bond Director!
    Scott's Hannibal is undeniably a beautifully atmospheric film. Coincidentally, it was the first time I saw Giancarlo Giannini in action. he made an impression.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hopefully we will soon get some news; things around here are really slooooowing down.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Naomie Harris discusses Sam Mendes vision for Moneypenny on AOL.

Which leaves the question, what would MP be like if Mendes was never involved in Bond? And what will she be like if/when he leaves the franchise?

What did she say?

Exactly

jake24 wrote: »
    What were those? Bond and Oberhausen playing poker? Masquerade Ball? Tanner's Suicide?
    Hell no. Those were all awful.

What I was referring to was the additional elements of Blofeld's backstory, that I believe were in an earlier version of P+W's draft. It involved Franz joining a platoon in the French Foreign Legion called Les Spectres de St. Pierre sometime in the early 1990s. Among the platoon was Mr. White. While partaking in a battle in the Moroccan dessert, a major sandstorm occurs that ends with Oberhauser and White being left for dead by the rest of their platoon. Waltz assumed the name Ernst Stavro Blofeld and, together with Mr. White, formed a crime syndicate called "SPECTRE."
    Wasn't there also something in this draft about Blofeld killing and cannibalizing some of the platoon to stay alive? They should recycle this idea for a future story, would make for a really despicable villain.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,598
    My god, what great stuff! Whoever chose to get rid of this great material and replace it with the flimsy, god awful foster brother angle must be mentally deranged. Whoever it was should stay the hell away from Bond! If Mendes hadn't have liked the foster brother idea then he would have got rid of it, being the director, so he should be banned from ever going near a bond film ever again. Jesus, what is going on in the Eon camp?! Have they all lost their minds?! Out of all the franchises that have to suffer from half arsed writing, it has to be Bond doesn't it?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    talos7 wrote: »
    Hopefully we will soon get some news; things around here are really slooooowing down.

Yes, we need something concrete soon. Anyone know when that Barber thing is? When specifically?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,187
    We need a great old school action director like Wolfgang Petersen and John Mctiernan.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    We need a great old school action director like Wolfgang Petersen and John Mctiernan.

McTiernan would be an inspired choice. Can't believe he hasn't got more films to his credit.
    Good director, who I think could handle a Bond film well, and would respect the series.

Actually Wolfgang Petersen isn't a bad option either.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Milovy wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    What were those? Bond and Oberhausen playing poker? Masquerade Ball? Tanner's Suicide?
    Hell no. Those were all awful.

What I was referring to was the additional elements of Blofeld's backstory, that I believe were in an earlier version of P+W's draft. It involved Franz joining a platoon in the French Foreign Legion called Les Spectres de St. Pierre sometime in the early 1990s. Among the platoon was Mr. White. While partaking in a battle in the Moroccan dessert, a major sandstorm occurs that ends with Oberhauser and White being left for dead by the rest of their platoon. Waltz assumed the name Ernst Stavro Blofeld and, together with Mr. White, formed a crime syndicate called "SPECTRE."
    Wasn't there also something in this draft about Blofeld killing and cannibalizing some of the platoon to stay alive? They should recycle this idea for a future story, would make for a really despicable villain.
    Indeed there was.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Matt Reeves is American so unless EON are gonna change their 'Brits or Commonwealth born directors only' rule I can't see he has any chance. Same with any other American director!

Not sure how Marc Forster got the job - he's German. Must have been a fluke he got the director job considering all the rest were not foreign. A lot of fans don't like QOS so perhaps it's best to stay British! ;)
  • I'll say it: the 'Brits/Commonwealth' rule, if it does indeed exist, is monumentally stupid. Go with the talent, wherever you find it.
    octofinger wrote: »
    I'll say it: the 'Brits/Commonwealth' rule, if it does indeed exist, is monumentally stupid. Go with the talent, wherever you find it.
    +1.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Benny wrote: »

McTiernan would be an inspired choice. Can't believe he hasn't got more films to his credit.
    Good director, who I think could handle a Bond film well, and would respect the series.

McTiernan was in jail until recently.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    echo wrote: »

Got out three years ago or so.
    echo wrote: »

And consequently he is finding it hard to get employed.

Well, he did write the script for a Thomas Crown sequel there, hoping to have it filmed with Pierce returning to the titular role.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    boldfinger wrote: »
    "Conflicting schedules for MI6 crew" sounds not bad at all. It would be a good opportunity to dump them, hire some good but less-known actors and get back to a decent and meaningful home base for Bond, instead of having the office pros neglecting their posts and trying to imitate Bond.

I like the current lineup of Fiennes, Harris and Wishaw, so it would be a shame to loose all three.

My choice for director is still Jaume Collet-Serra.
    If Fiennes had to stay, I'd be glad. But, don't care about Moneypenny, Q or Tanner. Tanner should be more than just an assistant, a chief of staff. If they wanted an assistant to M, they should've kept Villiers. Tanner should be a semi-authoritarian figure. Look at how James Villiers and Michael Kitchen handled the character. Both had done it differently albeit with quality. This new Tanner seems like the teacher's pet kind of student figure and that's insulting to the character. Don't care for the young geeky Q who pretty much does nothing, thinks highly of himself and ends up ballsing up almost everything. And Moneypenny? Don't get me started on her. The more I watch Skyfall, the more the absurd the MI-6 home team becomes for me.
  • talos7 wrote: »

Yes, we need something concrete soon. Anyone know when that Barber thing is? When specifically?

It will be in March, but I don't have the precise date. Last year it was around March 24.

MGM will report fourth-quarter and year-end financial results and have a conference call with analysts and investors. It was during the March 2016 conference call that Barber said Bond movies would come out on a three- to four-year cycle.