Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    More Henchman than Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He appeared alongside Brosnan in I.T. as some psychotic and mentally disturbed computer technician and/or a cyber criminal/hacker. He'd never be a good Bond, and I wouldn't want him around after seeing him there.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Not a fan of this one, either.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    And another one joins the rumour mill: Sam Heughan. Scot. Currently starring in Outlander. 37 years old. 6ft 3. Perhaps a bit pretty boy for 007, but I'm open to him.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/134052/20170203/james-bond-update-is-outlander-star-sam-heughan-the-next-007.htm

HdFD86P.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Worse and worse.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I suppose the obvious problem with this thread - as much fun as it is - is that we do not know what direction they will be taking the series and we don't know the long term production schedule.
    For example, if we knew they wanted to make a trilogy back-to-back, then actors we currently write off as too old - say anyone in their mid-40s - would then be right back into contention. And if we knew the tone they wanted to set - eg gritty like DC era or comic book like PB - then that would also help sort out the Henry Cavills from the Tom Hardys.
    When I think about who could be the next Bond, I tend to assume the actor needs to be capable of staying in the role for about 10 years. And I assume that the tone of the series will be similar to the DC movies. I think when people here make a prediction or suggestion (and sometimes other posters fail to recognise the difference between the two), they should also state the tone of the series they anticipate and the longer term production schedule they envisage.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Are people trying anymore? =))
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 15,801
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I suppose the obvious problem with this thread - as much fun as it is - is that we do not know what direction they will be taking the series and we don't know the long term production schedule.
    For example, if we knew they wanted to make a trilogy back-to-back, then actors we currently write off as too old - say anyone in their mid-40s - would then be right back into contention. And if we knew the tone they wanted to set - eg gritty like DC era or comic book like PB - then that would also help sort out the Henry Cavills from the Tom Hardys.
    When I think about who could be the next Bond, I tend to assume the actor needs to be capable of staying in the role for about 10 years. And I assume that the tone of the series will be similar to the DC movies. I think when people here make a prediction or suggestion (and sometimes other posters fail to recognise the difference between the two), they should also state the tone of the series they anticipate and the longer term production schedule they envisage.

Indeed. Hypothetically, someone like Tom Hiddleston might be suited to a Pierce Brosnan tone Bond era. Aidan Turner maybe a middle ground tone a;la Dalton in TLD. and so forth.
    Probably also going to boil down to what type of distribution deal Eon ends up with as well. As much as the producers have made clear they'd like Daniel to stay on board, that probably isn't feasible long term at this point. I personally feel he's good for two more films, but at the rate they're being released it's getting more unlikely.
    I do think the next actor will be as much James Bond as Craig is now, Pierce, Roger etc were. IMO, Eon have never chosen the wrong guy for the part, so I'd like to remain confident that will be true for number 6.
    In the meantime, Michael and Barbara will probably have to dodge every foolish idiot idea the various studios may pitch: make Bond female, PC, change his occupation to suit the times, etc etc. I imagine Babs and Mickey G have heard every possible variation to keep Bond relevant. In the midst of all this they'll decide what approach the next few films should take and what actor would be suited to that tone.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 386
    The golden age of your Caines, Connerys and Moores is over.

Hardy would be supreme.

Intense, thuggish, suave, dapper, charismatic, saturnine, talented, youngish, keen.
    Only time will tell, won't it?
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 3,333
    suavejmf wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Holland = Midget. No.
    Dornan = Looks the part, lacks the acting chops.
    Egerton = Doesn't have the look. He actually looks a tad 'Council Estate'.

Have you seen Dornan in the British drama series The Fall, @suavejmf? Of course it's all a matter of opinion but I think to say he lacks the acting chops is a tad uninformed.

And @bondjames, Norton has such an annoying childlike voice that I find it a huge hindrance whenever I see him act in anything. Bond needs to have a commanding voice, not one that sounds like David Beckham.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GetCarter wrote: »
    The golden age of your Caines, Connerys and Moores is over.

Hardy would be supreme.

Intense, thuggish, suave, dapper, charismatic, saturnine, talented, youngish, keen.

The trouble with Hardy is he's too well known to enter the world of Bond. As an actor I don't think he would want to commit to a multi picture contract. Nor be tethered to a franchise.
    Its a very hard role to fill, in that you need an actor that not only looks the part, but can act as well. But also someone who is basically agreeable to take on possibly the most iconic role in all of cinema. Six actors have played Bond so far, and the media and general audience attention surrounding OO7 is immense. When you're cast as James Bond, you're James Bond...forever. It's a very daunting task for an actor to take on.
    I'm thinking that EON have their eyes on potential actors to take over the role if Daniel Craig decides not to come back, be it Aidan Turner, Tom Hardy or Tom Hiddleston, but it's also possible it is an actor we haven't considered. When Craig was announced as Bond, it was a casting choice out of left field for many. Will it be so, with Bond #7.

• edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Kylie is single and I need a hair transplant hmm I digress...

I watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on Netflix, I considered Sam Riley a potential Bond though initially thought maybe too young though then learnt he was late 30's. In said movie he did complex brooding well.

1401442408-sam-riley-at-maleficent-party__large.jpg

Pride+Prejudice+Zombies+European+Film+Premiere+5a76ktz3YcUx.jpg

Recent picture
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,962
    Hardy is up for another Mad Max if it's a go. It never stopped Harrison Ford and I dare say he, at his peak, had a higher profile. Ford was very well known when he took on the role of Jack Ryan.
    At this point I'm not for or against Hardy but if offered the role he would say yes in a second.
    The guy above looks llike Kyle MacLachlan, not Bond.
    Hardy doesn't look the part nor he's channeling the Bond vibe. He's a bit too rough and thuggish for the 007 persona. It's just isn't him, and believe me he does channel the Bond stereotype in both Inception and the globally panned This Means War (where he plays a UK-born CIA agent). He doesn't have that mojo. So, forget it.

As for the guy above: No. He looks like Dorian Gray.
    @bondsum, I've not seen Norton in anything but firmly believe that a strong voice is essential for a Bond actor, so if Norton is lacking in this department then he's a no go for me. The Brosnan experience firmly implanted the importance of voice in my preference criteria.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Hiddleston has a great voice for Bond, well spoken and classy without being overtly 'posh'.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 175
    Voice is everything to me too. If the actor doesn't have a lower pitched, masculine voice, I don't care what he looks like. I thought of this when someone mentioned Aaron Taylor-Johnson 5 or 6 bad candidate suggestions ago. I mean, listen to this:

And then listen to this:

Is it just me or does that not sound like Bond? I see why they chose him for John Lennon though. Exact same kind of voice.

What is with all of the bad/underwhelming candidates this go round? It seems like the problem are most of them are just more thin, effete, and boyish. It seems like most of the candidates that we were debating online back in the mid 2000s before Craig was picked were much better than almost all of the ones we are discussing now. Think about it. Clive Owen, Gerard Butler, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Jason Isaac, Ewan McGregor, James Purefoy, Richard Armitage...

A lot of those names didn't even seem like great candidates back then, but most of them seem great now compared to our current crop. What happened to the more rugged actors?
    Don t forget Russell Crowe. And yes, I agree about the voice. One of those things that was off-putting about Brosnan. Having an asthmatic voice may be Bondian if smoking 70 a day is the reason, but that wasn t it.
    Voice is everything to me too. If the actor doesn't have a lower pitched, masculine voice, I don't care what he looks like. I thought of this when someone mentioned Aaron Taylor-Johnson 5 or 6 bad candidate suggestions ago. I mean, listen to this:

And then listen to this:

Is it just me or does that not sound like Bond? I see why they chose him for John Lennon though. Exact same kind of voice.

What is with all of the bad/underwhelming candidates this go round? It seems like the problem are most of them are just more thin, effete, and boyish. It seems like most of the candidates that we were debating online back in the mid 2000s before Craig was picked were much better than almost all of the ones we are discussing now. Think about it. Clive Owen, Gerard Butler, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Jason Isaac, Ewan McGregor, James Purefoy, Richard Armitage...

A lot of those names didn't even seem like great candidates back then, but most of them seem great now compared to our current crop. What happened to the more rugged actors?

Good point. Plus, agreed, Aaron Taylor-Johnson's voice is high pitched and not Bondian at all.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    This is exactly why Sean Connery will always be the best James Bond (even though for personal reasons, Moore is my favourite, but mainly because of his humour and escapist tone of films). He had it all. A macho who can be a thug when he wants, a very distinguished and sophisticated gentleman when he likes, can have any lady swoon over him by the voice he utters through the cords, his confidence and know-it-all attitude, supreme witticism and sarcasm with the use of puns as if he cares for nothing but living for the thrill, his spectacular sense of fashion (I myself try to replicate it every day), and his manners and knowing where to use them. His self-suffocating of any emotions based on any tragic incident that might occur throughout the mission and how to ignore them. Not to mention, his daringness to triumph over a physical clash with a rival in a bloodied fisticuffs without backing down. This is why he's the perfect Bond.

We never had anyone like that ever again. But, I wish we would. Someone who looks like an alpha male and is so. Inside and out.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Agreed on Connery's voice. However, I actually think that Craig has a decent Bond voice. Typically English and masculine.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Agreed on Connery's voice. However, I actually think that Craig has a decent Bond voice. Typically English and masculine.
    They are/were all ok, except for Brosnan imho, who sounds like he's whispering under his breath on occasion. Reminds me of Kiefer in 24. It's clear in the PTS of GE where Bean completely owns him with the confident delivery.
    As much as I love almost everything about Brosnan's Bond, the voice and the melee skills are not two of them.
    Brosnan loves heavy breathing and sighing all the time.....its like he's deflating!
    A good voice is very important for a Bond actor. Look at a clip from the '76 OHMSS ABC narrated version just to see why an inappropriate voice can kill the Bond mystique. Sean certainly had my favorite voice, as well as Daniel. Roger's voice perfectly suited his Bond.
    With Timothy I felt there were several moments when I couldn't quite understand his dialogue. Other than that he had a strong voice.
    Lazenbys voice was his weakness in the role.
    I had a curious switch of the audio track on the Special Edition DVD of TND, sometime ago. The French dub of Bond's voice there was outstandingly brilliant. Deep and sharp.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    When everyone was saying yes to Tom Hardy as the next Bond I was screaming NO! He's a fine actor and I really like him in Mad Max but he's no Bond. He looks like he goes to the gym way too often, at least too often for Bond. Also his looks, to me, are too similar to Craig. By that I mean he's more rough looking than handsome/charming.