Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Can anyone identify the font used during the Brosnan era title sequences?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,000
    Just managed to compile some interesting numbers by deciphering the garble that is displayed in the address bar.

We have 12,862 members, including banned or inactive users.

There are 17,789 discussions.

There are 696,647 comments. This one being the 696,648th.

Edit to explain how I figured this out:

Every user has an assigned number. If you visit your own page you will see your number in the address bar. It will look like this; "profile/8348." That's me. MI6 being "profile/1". This only works if you visit your page by any link other than the one in the top banner next to the "Sign Out" button. Your number will not display in that address. I just had to find the newest member on the Activity page.

Discussions are easy. Look in the address bar now; "discussion/2367". This is discussion number 2367, which is in keeping with it's age, having been started in January 2012. The first discussion of all being "Community Terms & Conditions of Use" on page 284 being "discussion/1". I just had to find the newest discussion.

Comments require finding the person who posted the last comment in the top discussion, going to their page, clicking "comments" and linking back to their most recent comment from there. It will link directly to that comment and display "#Comment_(number of comments)" at the end of the address bar.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Great work. About half of that member mass are spambots.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

80% percent of those are your duplicate accounts, Thundy, so I blame you.
    I had no idea where to share this..

https://www.facebook.com/AlkaloidSkopje/videos/10150444251310502/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&__mref=message_bubble

Yugoslavian commercial inspired by 007

80% percent of those are your duplicate accounts, Thundy, so I blame you.

Duplicate means two, and is strictly forbidden. Having 4-5000 isn t technically breaking any rules.

You mean half are just poor, misunderstood people that tried to help us with our wrinkles, receding hairlines, weight problems, and erectile dysfunction. :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Thank you for your sterling work there, @BMW_with_missiles. Very interesting. I love statistics like that about our community.

You mean half are just poor, misunderstood people that tried to help us with our wrinkles, receding hairlines, weight problems, and erectile dysfunction. :D

Yes,I didn t say it was a bad thing.

Yes,I didn t say it was a bad thing.

But it is.
    Yes, that goes without saying.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Thank you for your sterling work there, @BMW_with_missiles. Very interesting. I love statistics like that about our community.

Thank you @Dragonpol . I had often wondered how many members we have, so I was very happy when I put the pieces together
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 40,371
    While a majority of them are likely spambots, that means that roughly 2,000 profiles have been created a year since I joined back in 2011. I wonder how that number compares to the actual amount of consistent, active users.
    Yes, that goes without saying.

But I went and said it anyway. That's me!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    While a majority of them are likely spambots, that means that roughly 2,000 profiles have been created a year since I joined back in 2011. I wonder how that number compares to the actual amount of consistent, active users.

@Creasy47 Well, we can get a general idea from website traffic data. According to Websiteoutlook (see http://mi6community.com.websiteoutlook.com/) at the time of my checking it, the main page gets 2,580 views per day. Obviously, this counts multiple views from the same person, and many of our members visit multiple times a day. It also counts views from non-members, spam bots, and search engine bots. So, the number of active users would be considerably less than the 2580 view count.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

@Creasy47 Well, we can get a general idea from website traffic data. According to Websiteoutlook (see http://mi6community.com.websiteoutlook.com/) at the time of my checking it, the main page gets 2,580 views per day. Obviously, this counts multiple views from the same person, and many of our members visit multiple times a day. It also counts views from non-members, spam bots, and search engine bots. So, the number of active users would be considerably less than the 2580 view count.

Shame we can't narrow it down anymore than that, as it'd be impossible to tell just how much each of us visit the forums on a given day.
    Half of those views are NSA employees.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Makes sense. In discussing the Bond films and villain plots we do use certain sensitive key words daily. "Nuclear war," "bomb," "World War III," "terrorist," "assassination," "kill"...
    Exactly. These posts get automatically directed there via one of the Echelon stations.
    Even our PMs aren't safe! 8-X
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,686

Makes sense. In discussing the Bond films and villain plots we do use certain sensitive key words daily. "Nuclear war," "bomb," "World War III," "terrorist," "assassination," "kill"...

I have a discount version of whatever the NSA uses to detect key words, but mine only goes off when Liam Neeson is mentioned.
    Another interesting tidbit from Websiteoutlook is that the server that this site runs on is located in San Clemente, California.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,586
    Is that where Vanilla forums is located?

EDIT: Its head office is located in Ottawa, Canada (was just there, funnily enough).

I have a discount version of whatever the NSA uses to detect key words, but mine only goes off when Liam Neeson is mentioned.

@DaltonCraig007, I publicly support this usage of the program.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Happy Groundhog Day, folks!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,969
    Wait, wasn't it Groundhog Day last year?
    Wait, wasn't it Groundhog Day last year?

Didn't you just ask me that?
    Where's Bill Murray when you need him ?!
    The Virgin Islands, eating lobster, drinking piña coladas, making love like sea otters.
    @Mendes4Lyfe is back! Yay! <:-P