Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    jake24 wrote: »
    What's with this place crashing on a daily basis?

I know the server for this site is in San Clemente, California, and the weather has been pretty bad in southern CA today. Very heavy rains. It's possible that the power went out for the sever. That, or James Page spilled his coffee on it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm starting to discover how hard it is to find a reliable multi-region DVD player these days. My current one has died, and i'm looking for a replacement.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm starting to discover how hard it is to find a reliable multi-region DVD player these days. My current one has died, and i'm looking for a replacement.
    I'm fairly certain that Blu-ray players play multi-region DVDs.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Hhmm... i'll have to look into that. :-?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

You might find one online - eBay or something?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Do they? I never knew that; I know they won't play multi-region blu-rays, wasn't sure about DVD's.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Do they? I never knew that; I know they won't play multi-region blu-rays, wasn't sure about DVD's.
    You can very well be correct. Either way, Amazon or eBay might be your best bet.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Dragonpol wrote: »

There's no shortage of them on ebay, but then it has to be a good make and from a reputable seller.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 17,804

There's no shortage of them on ebay, but then it has to be a good make and from a reputable seller.

Yes, though I've never bought an electrical item like that off eBay and I guess the postage could be high. Good luck in your hunt anyhow, old chap.

In other news I wasn't aware that Blu-ray players played multi-region DVDs. Interesting tidbit there, @jake24. I have a Sony Blu-ray player and it hasn't let me down yet. Recommended!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Question: Can I connect my old combo DVD-VHS with my brand new UHD television? I've made all the steps and I see the image really bad (DVD and VHS)...
    I just pulled the trigger on a player from the same manufacturer as my recently deceased player (gave me 15+ years of viewing, and never once let me down), seller has 100% feedback, and there's no shortage of codes for it.

@ggl007 - I don't know anything about UHD tv's, but if it's the image, might it require some sort of converter, or a UHD cable (if one exists / you weren't using one already)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,080
    I've just sold my PlayStation 4 and now have nothing to play Blu-rays on and so I'm looking around for a cheap, does the job blu ray player (region 2, but all regions would be good too). Any tips what I need to look out for or any recommendations? There's plenty out there to an extent that it's quite overwhelming!
    I just pulled the trigger on a player from the same manufacturer as my recently deceased player (gave me 15+ years of viewing, and never once let me down), seller has 100% feedback, and there's no shortage of codes for it.

@ggl007 - I don't know anything about UHD tv's, but if it's the image, might it require some sort of converter, or a UHD cable (if one exists / you weren't using one already)

Another DVD that I have, needed a hdmi cable and it worked! But this combo has no hdmi... :(
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    ggl007 wrote: »

Another DVD that I have, needed a hdmi cable and it worked! But this combo has no hdmi... :(

Maybe there's some sort of converter box available, like those scart/av cable adaptors?

This might be a UK site, but maybe there is something to point you in the right direction:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/cables-and-connectors/a-v-adapters/hdmi-adapters
    I've just sold my PlayStation 4 and now have nothing to play Blu-rays on and so I'm looking around for a cheap, does the job blu ray player (region 2, but all regions would be good too). Any tips what I need to look out for or any recommendations? There's plenty out there to an extent that it's quite overwhelming!

I don't know if they will play other region BR's, but you could pick up a PS3 and use that for BR.
    Thanks, @MajorDSmythe I´ll keep looking for...
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    @ggl007 a scart to hdmi converter should work, I have a 4K TV and it will really expose the low quality of video and dvd.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Converter-Headphone-Smartphones-etc-Upgraded/dp/B01KHT1MWI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487462542&sr=8-2&keywords=neoteck+scart+to+hdmi
    Thanks, @fire_and_ice I think that's what I'm looking for. I already tried with this scart-jack converter but it didn't work...

mZ0FCucJWUp8S-uH3SWCEkA.jpg
    Sad to think that even DVDs are showing up as bad quality on the TVs these days, never mind videos. The world is moving on fast and boy I'm getting old!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Sad to think that even DVDs are showing up as bad quality on the TVs these days, never mind videos. The world is moving on fast and boy I'm getting old!

I bought a new TV thinking it would make everything look nicer. The reality is quite the opposite - ordinary shows that were filmed before the advent of HD now look stretched and blurred. Only Blu rays take full advantage of the picture with the added detail.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I bought a new TV thinking it would make everything look nicer. The reality is quite the opposite - ordinary shows that were filmed before the advent of HD now look stretched and blurred. Only Blu rays take full advantage of the picture with the added detail.

It's even worse with classic video games. The first time I played Goldeneye N64 on my HD TV, oh my gosh it looked bad. I know some newer TV's won't even display the 240p resolution put out by the N64, so I guess I'm lucky to have one that does.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wikileaks has revealed that the CIA infiltrated all seven parties, both electronically and in other ways, during the months leading up to the last French election.

With another French election coming up this year, American papers are giving strict warnings against "Russian meddling". It s almost funny.
    Wikileaks has revealed that the CIA infiltrated all seven parties, both electronically and in other ways, during the months leading up to the last French election.

With another French election coming up this year, American papers are giving strict warnings against "Russian meddling". It s almost funny.

You couldn't write it. You really couldn't.
    Who is this Ernst Starvos Blowfield I keep reading about? It sounds familiar.

Typos in the media I'm guessing?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Wasn't that a guy that Ian Flemming wrote about?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Ha ha, that's always a sign of quality when you read that one!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Ha ha, that's always a sign of quality when you read that one!
    Must of been a villian. [sic]
    Flemmmng, of cotse!
    Flemming vs a Lemming.....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I have a friend who thought Ian Fleming's name was Ivan Fleming. :))