Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Old Danish Bond books danified the name and wrote it as Jan Fleming.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Flemming vs a Lemming.....

That bout has no winner; they'd both go rolling over the cliffside.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, but one deliberately and the other on account of the gin.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, but one deliberately and the other on account of the gin.

Exactly my thoughts.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2017 Posts: 8,086
    That's disgraceful. Fleming had full control of his faculties when drunk.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Don't we all (...hic!!...)

• That's disgraceful. Fleming had full control of his faculties when drunk.

a) It was a joke
    b) Are you actually defending his self-destructive lifestyle?
    c) If I could bang out year after year novels the quality of Fleming's while on the sauce, I'd be hitting the gin just as hard
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Might have even done some of his best writing. We don't know.

a) It was a joke
    b) Are you actually defending his self-destructive lifestyle?
    c) If I could bang out year after year novels the quality of Fleming's while on the sauce, I'd be hitting the gin just as hard

Pretty sure that was a frivolous comment, but if today is any indication, I don't know anymore.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

Amazingly, some writers are capable of producing fully coherent and even quite quality writing while severely intoxicated. How this works, I don't know. I've never tried it. I would never want to. Stephen King says he genuinely has no recollection of any part of the process of writing Cujo because he was stoned drunk the entire period. He says that's something he deeply regrets. I'm sure Cujo was not a better book because King was intoxicated while writing it, just as I'm sure none of Fleming's Bonds were improved by his level of gin intake. A dollop of liquor can help free the mind, true, but there is a limit. Passing into alcoholism territory isn't like reaching some kind of literary nirvana.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Amazingly, some writers are capable of producing fully coherent and even quite quality writing while severely intoxicated. How this works, I don't know. I've never tried it. I would never want to. Stephen King says he genuinely has no recollection of any part of the process of writing Cujo because he was stoned drunk the entire period. He says that's something he deeply regrets. I'm sure Cujo was not a better book because King was intoxicated while writing it, just as I'm sure none of Fleming's Bonds were improved by his level of gin intake. A dollop of liquor can help free the mind, true, but there is a limit. Passing into alcoholism territory isn't like reaching some kind of literary nirvana.

I think imbibing would likely take away the reluctance or anxiety the writer would have over drafting a story if they had a clearer head, allowing them to cut through their mind's obstacles to just write something. Speaking as a writer, I wouldn't follow this method, but as a life-long teetotaler, that's quite obvious.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I think imbibing would likely take away the reluctance or anxiety the writer would have over drafting a story if they had a clearer head, allowing them to cut through their mind's obstacles to just write something. Speaking as a writer, I wouldn't follow this method, but as a life-long teetotaler, that's quite obvious.

Yes, a glass of wine to take the edge off would help, but not a pile of crumpled beer cans growing under your desk.

(And you're right, Mendes's comment might have been frivolous. Hadn't read it that way. Hard to tell without emoticons—God bless 'em, they're good for something after all.)

As this is the free discussion thread, you write any fiction, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic?
    Alcoholism is seen as the writer's plight, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, so there's a sort of inevitability to some great writers fighting the demon in the bottle. It's just one of those glorified things, as if being a struggling artist and alcoholic suddenly makes you a fascinating case. I just don't have the addictive personality for it, and I don't get the point of living without being sober (at all times). I'm boring that way, a shame to my fellow creatives.

I've written quite a few things, yes, short stories and much longer, as well as a lot of film analysis and thought pieces of the sort (I'm doing analysis for all the Bond films on a 007 blog right now). I studied writing in college, and had to write all sort of things for assignments, including a novel attempt for a graduate dissertation. I've written two large mysteries, some short stories, one of which got published, and a few memoir-styled pieces where I wrote about some more personal things, like my grandfather's fight with Alzheimer's, with a lot of other stuff thrown in. I had quite a varied study.
  • Very cool. Any genres, apart from mystery, you're drawn to?

(And I don't think the romanticism of the drunken writer is in vogue these days, fortunately, though a misguided few may think otherwise and conduct themselves accordingly.)
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, I've done some espionage writing in the past too. That and mysteries are my favorites, and noir as a subcategory of the latter.
  • Nice, I'm mostly drawn to sci-fi and horror myself. I enjoy noir on film and in literature, but have never strictly written noir, just borrowed elements Blade Runner-style for other genres.
    Undercooked cupcakes are awful.
  • I can imagine. You're better off eating the batter.
    Pretty bad. I didn't make them, but I wasn't rude about it.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Undercooked cupcakes are awful.

Well there's a random one, but I agree.

Another random thought, transmission problems are awful, especially the $1300 it's going to cost me to fix. ~X(
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I once abandoned a '73 Pontiac Firebird with a V-8 engine in the middle of LA when the transmission went.

That's a tempting thought sometimes. I keep tossing back and forth between the idea of fixing it or just getting a different car. There's not many good options in my ~$2500 price range, so I guess I'm getting it fixed. I'm not looking forward to the bill for 10 hours of labor (my Volvo requires having the sub-frame dropped to gain access).

• Yeah, so quit complaining about your cupcakes, FoxRox. ;)
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 12,267
    Yeah, so quit complaining about your cupcakes, FoxRox. ;)

As long as I don't get salmonella :))
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just hope it's not something else in two months. That's what starts to happen.

Yeah, that's what has been happening. First it was a $450 radiator, then a $580 electronic throttle body, then my side-view mirror glass falling out on the freeway, and now this.

Car trouble is the worst. My car didn't start a few weeks ago; lucky for me the problem could have been a lot more severe than it was.
    Car trouble is the worst. My car didn't start a few weeks ago; lucky for me the problem could have been a lot more severe than it was.

Like mine. The ashtray in my Rolls Royce was full yesterday, so I pushed it in the ditch. New car it is, then.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Like mine. The ashtray in my Rolls Royce was full yesterday, so I pushed it in the ditch. New car it is, then.

I hope you were in Paris when you ditched it. That seems to be the go to place to abandon them. ;)
    Yes, it was the ditch by the Eiffel Tower.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    OH OH MAH CAR!!!! OOOOOH!
    One of the best scenes in the whole film.