Confessions of a Bond fan

edited June 2017 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
During our love for good old 007 ,there are things I'm sure,where we all thought something different was said,or maybe you thought someone in the film was another actor,a song was sung by another singer,etc etc.
Basically,you cocked it up,but never admitted it to anyone before,so as not to lose your 'I know all about Bond' façade.

Well,now is the time to get this off your chest,to exorcise this demon,if you are brave enough,and maybe strong enough to take any jibes or digs from your fellow 007 nerds.

As I created this monster,i will go first...I have 4 confessions I can think of right now :

1. I used to think B.J. Arnau ,who sang LALD in the Fillet of Soul ,was Shirley Bassey.
2. It took me untold years to finally realise EON meant 'Everything or Nothing'.
3. I used to think Gustav Graves' aircraft was a 747 instead of an Antonov An-124.
4. When I was about 10 (I still remember this) when I saw LALD I used to think Mr Big was later revealed to be Jaws...probably because TSWLM & MR was always on TV at the time,especially Christmas,Easter,Bank Holidays etc so I was over-dosed on Jaws !!

I hang my head in shame......he he

Who is brave enough to own up and exorcise their demon eh ?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I always thought (until about a year ago) that Mr. Big was played by an actual actor other than Yaphet Kotto. I had no idea it was Yaphet Kotto in a face mask.

I didn't know that The Fillet of Soul song wasn't sung by Bassey, so learnt something today. I always thought that Grave's plane was a 747 until today.
    hahaha are you being serious or winding me up @bondjames ,hmm ? :>
    No, shamefully I'm being serious about Mr.Big. I watched it first (like most of us) as a kid, and was so taken by the disguise (and so convincingly fearful of Big) that I always believed that it was another actor playing him. Only recently did I try to confirm if my childhood impression was warranted, and was almost disappointed to learn it was none other than Mr. Kotto himself.
    I know the feeling....I was gutted when he peeled the face off, and it wasn't Jaws underneath it...
    It just goes to show how an erroneous impression formed when one is young and impressionable can subconsciously stay with us unless one attempts to correct it. The mind is a curious thing.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 19,339
    So true.
    And even when the truth emerges,the memory of your original thought always seems to remain,as in this instance....
    I thought Dolly had braces ... as it seemed did many of us.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't really remember. I'm very feeble. All I remember is that TSWLM was my first Bond film to see in the cinema. ..and that Dad parked next to a powder blue corvette.

I think I was 9 or 10yo. Dang I was young. My kids first Bond film in the cinema was SP. Youngest was 10 at the time. They like it, but they owed me for making me set through Frozen twice.

edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I have to admit also that I only recently realized (somewhat bittersweetly) how many actresses Ms. Nikki van der Zyl dubbed. Same goes for realizing that some of the other actors (like Adolfo Celi & Carole Bouquet) were dubbed. I do look at the performances slightly differently these days, as a result.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    They did a terrible job dubbing Bouquet. Her lines feel so unnatural.
    She was never a Bond girl i liked anyway,only Kara 'brain dead' Milovy is worse.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited January 2017 Posts: 9,020
    I have some embarrassing things to say about the films...

-I used to think Kara Milovy is a sweet innocent girl to be loved, and sexy too. Now I got brainwashed by one of the good guys and finally can see the truth. That bloody Kara "Brain Dead" Milovy shall tumble down the big wheel in Vienna to a splatter on the pavement!

-I used to think the Russian spy woman in AVTAK, Pola Ivanova that Bond recognises and is greeting so happily is none other than FRWL's Tatiana Romanova!!! That he met her after many years again.
    I am ashamed I only learned years later it's not her!

-I used to think NSNA is an official Bond film, I even didn't think in terms of "official" or "unofficial". When I learned it is not I was quite shocked!

-I used to think there is more than one Lazenby Bond until I discovered to my dismay there wasn't!

-I used to think I was in this thread but I was not but now I am which totally makes no sense to whomever reads this lol
    hahaha love it.........good man !!
    Your last point makes sense to me old pal ! ;)
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    I thought Dolly had braces ... as it seemed did many of us.

I did as well to be fair,even now if someone asked me i would be 'er,erm'...same with Bibi Dahl now i come to think about it,did she have braces ? ..no i dont think she did...someone did !!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    When I was younger, I always assumed Xenia was merely saying "bitch" instead of "bulliatch."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I thought she was saying Bleach. :))
    Hold on. Wasn't she saying "bitch"? That's what I still think.

Just looked it up. Wow. Learn something new every day here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »

I thought it was "bitch" for the longest time, too, until I started using subtitles and realized it was "Buliatch."
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I thought it was "bitch" for the longest time, too, until I started using subtitles and realized it was "Buliatch."
    I thought she was saying it gangsta slang style and thought it was pretty cool. Eg. Biatch!
    Funny ,thats one thing i actually knew from the start,the buliatch...amazing now i think about it !!

This thread is re-educating you hahaha !!

barryt007 wrote: »

This thread is re-educating you hahaha !!
    Totally! I can't wait to see what other misconceptions I have about all things Bondom.
    That was my plan,to drag out these 'confessions' from everyone...but i wasnt sure the thread would take off and be popular...looks like i was wrong ,just like my 'Bond..comments while you watch' thread !! :-O
    I used to think Sean only started wearing a hairpiece in Thunderball.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2017 Posts: 6,759
    I used to think Sean also went down on one knee in his gunbarrel scene.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

He nearly did.

vzok wrote: »

He nearly did.

Good point @vzok ,he did wobble didnt he ? i noticed that.
    vzok wrote: »

He nearly did.
    That reminds me. For the longest time I also thought Connery did his own early GB scenes. Another childhood impression that lingered longer than it should have.
  • I was born in 1966, and Live and Let Die was one of the first films I ever saw at the pictures. If I saw it the year it was released, I'd have been seven or eight years old. It's possible I could have seen it on a re-run, but I don't think I was much older than that.
    Anyway, for ages after, I thought all black people were baddies, because of that film. I'd never met a black person, living in an English village, and although I was too young to understand the plot, I could see that the hero was white, and all the bad people trying to kill him were black. In my mind, I thought, if people were black skinned, they were bad, naughty people. It was that 'black and white' in my mind.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I was born in 1966, and Live and Let Die was one of the first films I ever saw at the pictures. If I saw it the year it was released, I'd have been seven or eight years old. It's possible I could have seen it on a re-run, but I don't think I was much older than that.
    Anyway, for ages after, I thought all black people were baddies, because of that film. I'd never met a black person, living in an English village, and although I was too young to understand the plot, I could see that the hero was white, and all the bad people trying to kill him were black. In my mind, I thought, if people were black skinned, they were bad, naughty people. It was that 'black and white' in my mind.

Fair point,you only have to look back at the old Western's to see the good guy always wore white and the baddie always wore black.
    Been a stereotype for years !