Confessions of a Bond fan

1235»

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Roman numerals themselves aren't that obscure. But for Bond to randomly address a new character as 'C' with a smirk on his face when we already have characters named 'M' and 'Q' and when a popular 4-letter word also begins with 'C,' yes, that would be very obscure to expect your audience to connect 'C' with the Roman numeral and deduce that Bond is implying 'C' is one tenth the man M is. Also, the accompanying 2 hrs, 30 min would suggest the filmmakers really aren't that clever. ;)

:)) Spot on!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The plot is so clever that their is no plot and is rather a shit story
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It may not be rocket science, but whatever it was, as Birdleson says, it wasn't well executed.
    I thought it was fine, and by no means overly-complicated.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    It may not be rocket science, but whatever it was, as Birdleson says, it wasn't well executed.
    I thought it was fine, and by no means overly-complicated.

Is it though—fine, I mean—if everyone walks away with different interpretations and none of them are even particularly funny? Except BeatlesSansEarmuffs' which I rather like, but which definitely is not what the filmmakers intended.
    I must admit another one of my confessions is a major urge to slap the man who delivers a card for Bond in the very opening scene in DN ,while Bond is at the tables with Trench.

He walks in with a swagger that makes Daniel Craig look stiff, and whizzes around the room like he is on roller-skates.

And he has a really pompous face,attitude and voice - almost like he thinks he is 007.

He ALWAYS annoys me !!

There,rant over.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I must admit another one of my confessions is a major urge to slap the man who delivers a card for Bond in the very opening scene in DN ,while Bond is at the tables with Trench.

He walks in with a swagger that makes Daniel Craig look stiff, and whizzes around the room like he is on roller-skates.

And he has a really pompous face,attitude and voice - almost like he thinks he is 007.

He ALWAYS annoys me !!

There,rant over.

He's the best character in the whole film!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Diamonds Are Forever probably saved my life last night.
  • RC7RC7
    Diamonds Are Forever probably saved my life last night.

DAF is a film that lightens my mood. It's delightful nonsense.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Here's one:

I don't care what anyone says, I consider Elektra King to be both the main Bond girl and the main villain of TWINE. Christmas holds secondary Bond girl status (Cigar Girl holds tertiary status).

Similarly, the same can be said for Xenia Onatopp. She is both the secondary Bond girl as well as the henchwoman of GE.

Lastly, regardless of whether or not she became Moneypenny at the end of the film, I strongly believe that Eve holds the main Bond girl status of SF (Severine holding second, and Bond's Turkish lover holding third). Screw technicality, Eve (for the amount of time that we know her as such) is presented as the leading lady of the film, and thus should be considered the main Bond girl of SF.
  • I can get behind your views. However, popular consensus has dubbed Christmas as the primary Bond girl of TWINE and, somewhat surprisingly, Severine the primary Bond girl of SF. It would be easier to view Eve as such if she had played a role in the third act.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This is a fun thread! I'm trying to think of misconceptions I had about the series and films before I became a massive fan, because after that point I became so veracious I tried to be as encyclopedic about the movies as I could. I get this way with all narrow interests I have, because when I take to something it really consumes me. With this in mind, I try not to "cock it up" as Mallory would say.

*I think before I saw the film LALD proper, I assumed that Kananga and Big were two different villains, and not one and the same. I see this admittance coming from a lot of people, so that's reassuring.

*As much as I pride myself on being a fan of analyzing Bond films and writing essays on their subtleties and themes, I never made the connection that part of Camille's fear at seeing the flames in the hotel at the end of QoS was connected to flashbacks to her family's murders. I guess that the sink hole moment never clicked with me the way it did with others, so I never made that leap. I assumed that she was afraid simply to be burned alive. When I rewatched the film and heard the exact details of how her family died and how her home was burnt down, it then made sense because I was fully invested in it for the first time. It's funny that I have written endless pages on the stages of grief Bond goes through in the film and when he does it, but I miss that.

I'm struggling to come up with more examples, but maybe some will come to me later.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not sure if it fits here, but regarding the fiery ending of QoS, I genuinely thought Bond and Camille were going to perish together the first time I saw it in theaters, and I'm not sure why.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it fits here, but regarding the fiery ending of QoS, I genuinely thought Bond and Camille were going to perish together the first time I saw it in theaters, and I'm not sure why.

They were pretty up against it in that fire-trap of a hotel,so I can partly see why you would think that the 1st time.

But that's a good confession matey .

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I love it when a Bond film makes you forget you're watching one, and you think Bond is a goner. That scene gives me that feeling too, as does Bond's on-the-knees surrender to Grant in FRWL, Le Chiffre's CR torture, etc. for a couple examples.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I felt that way when Bond was being tortured in Spectre.
    Actually ,as we are on SP,i felt a bit nervous for Bond when Mr Hinx was beating the crap out of him on the train,i couldn't believe CraigBond was getting beaten up badly.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Actually ,as we are on SP,i felt a bit nervous for Bond when Mr Hinx was beating the crap out of him on the train,i couldn't believe CraigBond was getting beaten up badly.

Yep, I thought he was a dead man too. Seeing that for the first time in the theater was an amazing experience.