Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• I've had it with the PC nation myself @DarthDimi
    This latest nonsense with Steve Martin is so 'eyeball rolling' that they just did a complete 360 in my head!

15822960_10101142818918901_8878934959161114782_n.jpg?oh=c5ae2ed2d67c4b0f5870c7172df850ed&oe=58E145AB
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Danes can t help themselves.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    LeChiffre has had enough and wants his damn Vesper now. :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's brilliant! =))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Hahaha, you gotta hand it to Mads, he sure knows how to draw publicity. :D
    Now I want to start taking Vodka with me wherever I go just to open it when the mood goes bad.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Is it really vodka? I just assumed it's just a bottle of overpriced fancy water.
  • Carrie was gorgeous hot as F...
    It looks like blue milk.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Do I look like I give a damn, what LeChiffre is swigging? :))

I'm still processing all that's happened. Carrie Fisher's bad stroke on the plane, a few days later we learn she has died, then her fabulous mother Debbie Reynolds :(

When I went to see Rogue One yesterday, I thought about Carrie quite a bit even if the movie totally sucked me in.
    Needless to say, I was in tears when the end credits started to roll.

Rogue One is clearly the best Star Wars film together with the original from 1977.
    It's mind-blowing, I would rank TFA at the bottom and RO on top.
    Unbelievable how they went from mainstreamed children's crap to seriously dark and deep stuff within one year.
    So I have hopes now for Episode VIII, if it is only half as good as Rogue One it still will be way better than TFA or PM and ROTJ
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    So I have hopes now for Episode VIII, if it is only half as good as Rogue One it still will be way better than TFA or PM and ROTJ

ROTJ is a great movie, man! Even more epic on the Blu Ray where the Ewoks actually blink sometimes. The added finale by Lucas showing all the systems celebrating is so cool. I just don't get the disdain for it. Okay, the reveal of Leia being Luke's sister seemed a little forced, but we already knew from the first two films that Han & Leia would end up together anyway, so what?
    Don't make me use a Jedi Mind Trick on you Jason!!
    =))
    ....I like ROTJ, ROTJ is the best. I will watch ROTJ now

@chrisisall :))

Actually here is my ranking, never done it before...

1. Rogue One
    1. Star Wars 1977 (a tie for now)

3. Attack Of The Clones
    4. The Empire Strikes Back
    5. Revenge Of The Sith
    6. Return Of The Jedi
    7. Phantom Menace
    8. The Teen Force Awakens
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    ....I like ROTJ, ROTJ is the best. I will watch ROTJ now

Good. It worked. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7,

Wow, I'm at a loss for words! Carrie was an incredibly beautiful woman. Unlike many "mannequins" who are sliced thinner than bread and look plastic, Carrie, in Star Wars, was all natural, pure and BEAUTIFUL! Shame on these no-good feminist lunatics. Here's man who gives Carrie an honest-to-God compliment, and one she truly deserves, and only minutes after her sad demise, a few she-devils act all hyper-PC in the matter. This obnoxious, hardcore feminism truly is the STD of the modern PC hysteria. It's types like these that induce male bashing. Of course their brains can handle, at best, the following logic:

"Men."
    "BOOOOOO!"

These disgusting witches are dumber than a goat's arse and can serve our society only by keeping their mouth - even the digital version - shut!

Can you tell I'm pissed? I am. Carrie Fisher was a beautiful woman and I wouldn't be allowed to say or tweet that? Seriously? Since when is that an insult? She was more than just beautiful, of course she was, and Steve Martin wouldn't disagree. But apart from her witticism, her wonderful mind and her many other talents, she was also incredibly beautiful, and at least one man had the guts to say it.

This is beauty, and screw everyone who has a problem with that statement!

fee8661151ba6a61d862c191051b64c0.jpg

Oh, but @DarthDimi, don't call her beautiful before you call her witty and smart, because those two things are way more important. Women are more than just a body and some curves, you animal! They're not designed to be your damn play thing for the fixation of your fantasies. Grow up, man!

Oh Christ, I don't want to know what it must be like in the mind of these feminist types if that's their thought process. Martin commented on her beauty, mind AND talent, but that didn't stop them from using it as a random time to show outrage. But he was right to call her beautiful, as Carrie was and always will be one of the female figures in film who graced posters on many growing kids' walls as they faced puberty looking at her in the films, metal bikini or not. She's up there with Ursula Andress, Raquel Welch and Farrah Fawcett in that regard. Add to that what she did for female characters on screen, showing that they can do everything the boys can do, and sometimes better, and you've got a woman that deserves such a wide range of compliments.
    chrisisall wrote: »

ROTJ is a great movie, man! Even more epic on the Blu Ray where the Ewoks actually blink sometimes. The added finale by Lucas showing all the systems celebrating is so cool. I just don't get the disdain for it. Okay, the reveal of Leia being Luke's sister seemed a little forced, but we already knew from the first two films that Han & Leia would end up together anyway, so what?
    Don't make me use a Jedi Mind Trick on you Jason!!
    =))

As a non-Star Wars fan who has tried to get into the films several times, one of the many things that have gotten in my way of enjoying the films is down to all the stupid alterations Lucas has made over time. I want to see the real Star Wars films, and experience them as there were before he got his grubby hands on them. Is that possible? Because at this point it feels like there's twelve director's cuts of each damn movie and my head spins keeping straight what he added and what he didn't.

This is the kind of thing that has kept me off of Blade Runner for so long. Just make one goddamn movie, and at the most, a director's cut if you're unhappy with studio fixes. But no more, please.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    A New Hope twice tonight this film on a cultural level is phenomenal, as a film it is breathtaking the tension never disipates even after several hundred viewings.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

It's a curse, ever since the industry discovered they can milk the customer twice or even more with Director's Cuts, Special Editions, Extended Cuts, and however they name them, you get various versions of a movie to choose from.
    I hate it.
    There are only a few exceptions where it makes sense.

The black & white edition of Mad Max Fury Road is such an exception. It's called Chrome Edition and the film works perfectly that way. It's a totally different experience.

I am SO SO SO SO HAPPY there is only one version each for the Bond films!!!

Blade Runner I would advise to get the Blu-ray where you have the various cuts included. Then go for the original theatrical version. It will then be fascinating to watch the different endings, but that's all. For me it's always the first version.

Star Wars the 1997 editions are great, the newly done sound and special effects were necessary, except some overly enthusiastically done new CGI beasts and humans. But that's a minor complaint.
    But what was done beyond 1999 is a crime.
    I am not sure which version there are on Blu-ray. Certainly the latest versions from 2003 I believe. Maybe the untouched versions are out in HD as well. If that is so, go for it.
    Just informed myself, nope, George Lucas himself made sure the original versions of the films are practically eradicated from existence. He is quite obsessed with this even.

So unless Fox decides (they still own the first three films) to put out the theatrical versions of Star Wars, they are not available any longer.

Seeing Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ next to Alec Guinness is always the icing on the rotten cake. Why not putting Ewan McGregor on Alec Guinness as well for Jabba's Sake.

Anyway, at least now Disney rules and as Rogue One has proven, they can provide a Star Wars movie that is much better than most of the first 7.
  • Rogue One made me feel like a kid, I will overlook it's failings one moment of nostalgia overrides most things.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2016 Posts: 28,694
    It's really sad, because I would probably really like the original Star Wars sans all the added garbage. Those embellishments sink what were already technically impressive films, and to see the originals hidden away under lock and key is blasphemy.

Lucas is too focused on marketing multiple film additions and selling action figures than respecting the art he helped create, which is one of the worst things about his character. He represents himself as a film lover first, but his greed and what he is willing to sacrifice creatively for a profit is disgusting at times. He's one of the rare cases of a creator who shits on his own work instead of someone else doing it for him. People think all the hate he gets is derived from the prequels, but a lot of that also has to do with how he's callously and meaninglessly altered the classic films he once was respected for. It's like a father taking his beautiful daughter to get plastic surgery she doesn't need. Surgery that makes her look worse coming out of operation.
    There are decent bootleg copies out there. I don't mind the special editions so much. I think Empire Strikes Back befitted the most from the remastering. It showed us more of the Wampa creature from the beginning and made the Matte Paintings look nicer. A New Hope had some decent changes that helped but also had some unnecessary additions. Return of the Jedi had the most unnecessary changes. Like changing out the awesome Laptee Nek song with the utter garbage Jedi Rock song at Jabba's Palace.

You know, The release of Rogue One got me thinking. Is it possible we could see a Shadows of the Empire movie? That would be so great. That's one of my favorite Star Wars expanded universe stories.
    It would be interesting to me if the new trilogy ended with the jedis and sith coming to some kind of understanding or compromise. We've yet to really see something of that sort explored, and both belief systems have their flaws that could be played with in interesting ways through the characters that subscribe to them.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For me, one of the worst changes was giving STAR WARS a new title. I absolutely hate that.

What year did "A New Hope" actually become tacked on?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,049
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For me, one of the worst changes was giving STAR WARS a new title. I absolutely hate that.

What year did "A New Hope" actually become tacked on?

The 1981 re-release added the new title. Lucas was actually pretty sure that the film was going to be a complete failure - but once it became the success we all know it to be now, he started making adjustments pretty much immediately. He knew he was going to make the prequels back in the 80s, thus the new "Episode" titles were born.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Watching the very first film right now in light of Fsher's passing.

It has a lot of charm and iconic scenes, but the performances from Hamill, Fisher and Ford are a bit hit-and-miss (Ford does indeed like his finger pointing). Alec Guiness and to a lesser extent Peter Cushing are certainly the best people in it.
    Wait, @Birdleson, a few years ago they did release, at least on DVD, the original theatrical experience of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi as bonus discs for another trilogy release. I bought them.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-IV-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483183268&sr=8-4&keywords=star+wars+dvd
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I too hate those changes. All of them.
    Wait, so what you all are saying is that the untouched, pure, original classic Star Wars movies haven't gotten the Blu-ray treatment yet? Seriously?! Is this a prank or some kind of sick joke?
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    The best change was this inclusion at the end of Jedi:

Far more appropriate. Never liked the original Ewok song.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I hate the change in lightsaber colors. I have the - 97 and - 04 special editions. Dont remember how it was in the first special editions, because I have them on vhs and don't have a vcr myself, but on dvd Vader's saber changes from red to pink in some scenes and Luke's changes from blue to green.

I hate them. I hate them all! They're like animals and I'd want to slaughter them like animals!

But if I'd do that, I wouldn't have Star Wars to watch :p

edited December 2016 Posts: 28,694
    It is a modern crime against cinema that the true original prints haven't been remastered. Is George purposely holding out or something, because the original trilogy as they were released no longer feel like his "creative vision"? I just don't get it.

He's all about money, so why not set it up for the originals to be released as they were and watch the cash flow in? I'm kind of glad I'm not a Star Wars fan, because this kind of thing would just make me livid. Well, more livid.