Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    patb wrote: »
    Ignorance is something not to be boasted about, but I have not seen any of the three prequals? Is there any point?
    Give them a shot, but you'd better have coffee at the ready for Ep I & II. Lots of talking, sitting & talking, standing & talking, walking & talking, etc.
    The Star Wars you knew and loved is now about 'trade federations' and 'senates'.
    There are good parts (few and far between) in I & II.
    III is where it starts getting good, though it still has its boring parts.
    Here's the thing with the prequels:
    In the mid 90's George Lucas had become SO popular after the Special Editions were released on VHS and in theatres, with so much renewed interest in the series and especially all the new kids being introduced for the first time (myself included). All of a sudden people were foaming at the mouth when it was announced that Episode I was going to be made.

George Lucas was directing this new trilogy but he was missing something important: someone with the guts to tell him NO.

Think about it: He directed A New Hope but he also had other people providing input. For example, if George had his way, in the climax Han shows up to save Luke a good ten minutes before taking his shot to destroy the Death Star-- and I also read Luke misses the first time and flies around to try again! There were people there who saw this in the script, and would say 'No, George, that's stupid. Here's how you do it.'

But with the prequels he was surrounded by 'yes men'. Nobody would speak up! Oh if I could be a fly on the wall during filming; I can picture George pitching an idea and everyone rolling their eyes, but saying 'wonderful!!'

George Lucas is a talented guy, and a good guy from what I read about him. He absolutely is capable of directing a good movie. BUT, during the prequel era he had gotten a bit too big for his britches, and some input from other talent would have improved all 3 movies greatly.

Anyone agree/disagree, or have anything to add?

I agree with this, although I would expand on that and say that even though it probably would have improved them, that's not to say that they would have been good.

George's input on other films where he is a collaborator is naff more often than not, too. Just look at what he did to Indy IV - and he was working with Spielberg on that one; one of the best storytellers of the last 30 years.
  • A good point. I'm curious as to what he contributed to the original Indy trilogy, because they at least all turned out good.
    Only with Crystal Skull is it obvious that all the 'bad parts' are all him.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    A good point. I'm curious as to what he contributed to the original Indy trilogy, because they at least all turned out good.
    Only with Crystal Skull is it obvious that all the 'bad parts' are all him.

Same thing he provided for Crystal Skull: The plot. He didn't write the screenplays to any of them, though.

Lucas isn't a bad director, or a bad storyteller, he's just a bad writer, something he himself acknowledges. Most of the things people loved about the Original Trilogy were him as well as what people didn't like.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Fangirls on the other hand. ;)
    bf4f805ece4547331a5d77b376a4c729.jpg

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-O
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm totally gutted. RIP, Carrie.

160388514a25e51a5c4c59357dd37c54.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2016 Posts: 28,694
    To all my Star Wars loving friends, I'm deeply sorry. A select number of characters are iconic enough to transcend the fiction they were first painted with. Princess Leia was one of those special characters.

• Good words by Campea
    :( I always felt that the Original Trilogy was, as far as entertainment and icons are concerned, THE biggest influence and most loved franchise in my generation. Very similar to the effect that The Beatles had on my Dad's generation.
    Losing Carrie is a very bitter blow. Effing 2016.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited December 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I always viewed Carrie Fisher as the best part of the Star Wars universe. Her scenes in TFA are such a great gift to her fans.

I want to add I only learned now that Carrie Fisher suffered from bipolar disorder since her mid-twenties.
    Also learned during the last few hours, that she has written a lot about her condition and that she was out there with her mental illness and helped and inspired other people with that condition greatly.
    Never done twitter, so it all escaped me.

But I will be damned, if Carrie Fisher can be open about being bipolar, so can I.
    Some of you know, but I have never said it in the open.
    I have bipolar disorder since 2004. It just happens I suffered a very bad episode starting this December 10th, which some of you know as well.
    That's the reason why I wasn't on the forum much. Since today I am out of it. The manic state lasted for the last week and thankfully Lithium helps me with that. But there is nothing that helps me with the depression.
    I learned Carrie also couldn't find help with medication. That's bad.

I am so sad, that Carrie Fisher had to go at age 60. It's way too young. Another icon that was taken away from us in this horrible year 2016.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    “Carrie holds such special place in the hearts of everyone at Lucasfilm it is difficult to think of a world without her. She was Princess Leia to the world but a very special friend to all of us. She had an indomitable spirit, incredible wit, and a loving heart. Carrie also defined the female hero of our age over a generation ago. Her groundbreaking role as Princess Leia served as an inspiration of power and confidence for young girls everywhere. We will miss her dearly.” – Kathleen Kennedy

http://www.starwars.com/news/carrie-fisher-our-princess-passes-away

A good article from Starwars.com

Short tribute I saw on YouTube

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I always viewed Carrie Fisher as the best part of the Star Wars universe. Her scenes in TFA are such a great gift to her fans.

I want to add I only learned now that Carrie Fisher suffered from bipolar disorder since her mid-twenties.
    Also learned during the last few hours, that she has written a lot about her condition and that she was out there with her mental illness and helped and inspired other people with that condition greatly.
    Never done twitter, so it all escaped me.

But I will be damned, if Carrie Fisher can be open about being bipolar, so can I.
    Some of you know, but I have never said it in the open.
    I have bipolar disorder since 2004. It just happens I suffered a very bad episode starting this December 10th, which some of you know as well.
    That's the reason why I wasn't on the forum much. Since today I am out of it. The manic state lasted for the last week and thankfully Lithium helps me with that. But there is nothing that helps me with the depression.
    I learned Carrie also couldn't find help with medication. That's bad.

I am so sad, that Carrie Fisher had to go at age 60. It's way too young. Another icon that was taken away from us in this horrible year 2016.

A very courageous post, Jason.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Very sad news. I believe Episode VIII was the last film she finished.
  • First of all, DAMMIT Carrie :-(. Why!?!?!?!? To be nice again.....please rest in piece up there and walk hand in hand with Leonard Nimoy please.

Regarding "Rogue One"........I adored it. I truly loved it. Beforehand I already thought that these spin-off movies could actually become slightly more interesting than the new sequel trilogy that kicked of with "The Force Awakens".

What I loved so much about "Rogue One"? First of all the characters. Jyn Erso for me is a much more interesting character than Luke or Rey. She has a more complex background history if you ask me and her 'rogue' character, not being part of either the Empire or the Resistance/Rebel Alliance. Her commitment is vague and quite 'grey' at first.

The same thing with former imperial droid K-2SO. He's actually way more 'human' than those three happy clown-robots named 3CPO, BB-8 and R2-D2. And I admire that. K-2SO is already the most complex astromech/robot/droid so far in the "Wars"-universe.

I think this actually goes for the entire 'Team Rogue One'. They are troubled character or misfits with lots of 'grey' character traits. It's a rather daring thing to do for the much more simplier prime " Star Wars" films.

I also think the story was rather inventive, unique, and way more 'sci-fi' than the more mythical fantasy films of the prime trilogies. It's predominantly a war story, that mirrors todays rise of authoritarian regimes. On top of that Jedha City to me felt uncomfortably like the "Star Wars" version of Aleppo.

So this films does everything I want from a space based sci-fi franchise film. And it does so even better than "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and "Star Trek Beyond". It's a bit more complex, and certainly not a carbon-copy of previous "Star Wars" films.

I'm not going to say much more, but the ending is both uncomfortable (lots of death) and comfortable (a seemless glue to the start of "A New Hope"). The small references and easter eggs? Trust me, they serve the story and only show up with the right, emotional moment is appearing.

I can't wait to see the other spin-off films!

4.5/5 stars: "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"
    4.0/5 stars: "Star Trek Beyond"
    3.5/5 stars: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Now Carrie's mother Debbie Reynolds has been rushed to hospital due to a stroke.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Christ, I wouldn’t be surprised if the loss of her daughter just took its toll.
  • That's harsh regarding Debbie Reynolds, seeing a son or daughter pass before a parent should never happen.

Regarding Carries role in Episode VIII

http://collider.com/star-wars-8-carrie-fisher/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial
    Nostalgia Critic's Rogue One review.

(spoilers)

• First of all, DAMMIT Carrie :-(. Why!?!?!?!? To be nice again.....please rest in piece up there and walk hand in hand with Leonard Nimoy please.

Regarding "Rogue One"........I adored it. I truly loved it. Beforehand I already thought that these spin-off movies could actually become slightly more interesting than the new sequel trilogy that kicked of with "The Force Awakens".

What I loved so much about "Rogue One"? First of all the characters. Jyn Erso for me is a much more interesting character than Luke or Rey. She has a more complex background history if you ask me and her 'rogue' character, not being part of either the Empire or the Resistance/Rebel Alliance. Her commitment is vague and quite 'grey' at first.

The same thing with former imperial droid K-2SO. He's actually way more 'human' than those three happy clown-robots named 3CPO, BB-8 and R2-D2. And I admire that. K-2SO is already the most complex astromech/robot/droid so far in the "Wars"-universe.

I think this actually goes for the entire 'Team Rogue One'. They are troubled character or misfits with lots of 'grey' character traits. It's a rather daring thing to do for the much more simplier prime " Star Wars" films.

I also think the story was rather inventive, unique, and way more 'sci-fi' than the more mythical fantasy films of the prime trilogies. It's predominantly a war story, that mirrors todays rise of authoritarian regimes. On top of that Jedha City to me felt uncomfortably like the "Star Wars" version of Aleppo.

So this films does everything I want from a space based sci-fi franchise film. And it does so even better than "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and "Star Trek Beyond". It's a bit more complex, and certainly not a carbon-copy of previous "Star Wars" films.

I'm not going to say much more, but the ending is both uncomfortable (lots of death) and comfortable (a seemless glue to the start of "A New Hope"). The small references and easter eggs? Trust me, they serve the story and only show up with the right, emotional moment is appearing.

I can't wait to see the other spin-off films!

4.5/5 stars: "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"
    4.0/5 stars: "Star Trek Beyond"
    3.5/5 stars: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

R.I.P Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher :-(. Such bad news.

At least the family can be remembered with some memorable Star Wars movies.
    Rogue one was ok it wasn't great it wasn't bad it was just ok the lack of Jedi especially as Donnie Yen's characters was essentially a jedi
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Rogue one was ok it wasn't great it wasn't bad it was just ok the lack of Jedi especially as Donnie Yen's characters was essentially a jedi

The lack of Jedi made it much better, I thought. Something different.
    Halfway through the film at the cinema.
    This is already infinitely better than TFA which felt like something from Disney Channel with teen stars.

Rogue One is the Star Wars film I wanted, gritty, violent, full with rich characters played by brilliant actors.
    For adults with expectations.

Can't wait to see the rest! Break over in five.

Donnie Yen is fantastic by the way!! :D
    I just had one of the best cinematic experiences of my life.

Rogue One is going down the same road as films like Star Trek First Contact, Batman Begins, GoldenEye, Civil War, Batman 1989, Pitch Black, The Living Daylights, Mad Max Fury Road, Shaun Of The Dead or Spectre.

Entering Jason's hall of fame of most awesome films ever.

ROGUE ONE finally elevates Star Wars to new unimaginable heights of emotional power, brilliant characters, storytelling and quite frankly it puts TFA into the ground and buries it.

I'm still in tears. The last 20 seconds are the most bittersweet thing I have ever seen and the icing on the perfect cake that is Rogue One.
    Seeing Carrie Fisher once more come to life in her prime, saying the one word that is so important. HOPE

I wouldn't know where to begin to describe, where Rogue One succeeds.
    Let me pick one of the actors, it has to be Donnie Yen even if I am a huge Diego Luna fan and I own every film he's ever made, since Y tu mamá también from 2001 is one of the most important films for me.

Donnie Yen is simply fantastic, he gives life to one of the best characters ever in the Star Wars universe.
    His Chirrut Îmwe shows where Star Wars had to go and has gone now.

Rogue One is violent, it is about war and rebellion, it is gritty, dark and relentless. It is for adults, no more child's play like candy sweet TFA.

Don't get me wrong, TFA is perfect entertainment if you are looking to put your brain to rest for 2 hours. But it has the depth of a rain puddle compared to Rogue One.

Rogue One will have no sequel, obviously. That's maybe the reason why this story is the best Star Wars story so far together with the initial film from 1977.

They dared to defy the pressure of delivering a mainstream story that would appeal to kids, teens and adults.

They delivered the perfect film. This is one of the few films (outside the Bond, Star Trek and Batman franchise) that will now be a part of my life until I will sleep forever.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Glad to hear it! @BondJasonBond006
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Finally managed to catch Rogue One in cinema today. Very much enjoyed it, especially those last 30 minutes. A much stronger film than Awakens, imo.

SW Ranking

1. STAR WARS/ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. RO
    4. ROTS
    5. AOTC
    6. TFA
    7. PM
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Christ. Fundamentalist, misguided feminism has struck again, this time at Steve Martin, who had the audacity to *gasp* call Carrie Fisher beautiful:

http://www.westernjournalism.com/feminists-lash-out-at-steve-martin-for-calling-carrie-fisher-beautiful/

I wish these members of the outrage police could be shot off to a galaxy far, far away.
    I physically hurt because it is now 24 hours I have seen ROGUE ONE. Signs of withdrawal.

The last time that happened to me is not so long ago, it was with SPECTRE which I went to see 13 times at the cinema.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Christ. Fundamentalist, misguided feminism has struck again, this time at Steve Martin, who had the audacity to *gasp* call Carrie Fisher beautiful:

http://www.westernjournalism.com/feminists-lash-out-at-steve-martin-for-calling-carrie-fisher-beautiful/

I wish these members of the outrage police could be shot off to a galaxy far, far away.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Carrie herself would have appreciated his words.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,634
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7,

Wow, I'm at a loss for words! Carrie was an incredibly beautiful woman. Unlike many "mannequins" who are sliced thinner than bread and look plastic, Carrie, in Star Wars, was all natural, pure and BEAUTIFUL! Shame on these no-good feminist lunatics. Here's man who gives Carrie an honest-to-God compliment, and one she truly deserves, and only minutes after her sad demise, a few she-devils act all hyper-PC in the matter. This obnoxious, hardcore feminism truly is the STD of the modern PC hysteria. It's types like these that induce male bashing. Of course their brains can handle, at best, the following logic:

"Men."
    "BOOOOOO!"

These disgusting witches are dumber than a goat's arse and can serve our society only by keeping their mouth - even the digital version - shut!

Can you tell I'm pissed? I am. Carrie Fisher was a beautiful woman and I wouldn't be allowed to say or tweet that? Seriously? Since when is that an insult? She was more than just beautiful, of course she was, and Steve Martin wouldn't disagree. But apart from her witticism, her wonderful mind and her many other talents, she was also incredibly beautiful, and at least one man had the guts to say it.

This is beauty, and screw everyone who has a problem with that statement!

fee8661151ba6a61d862c191051b64c0.jpg
    Hear hear, @DarthDimi!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I physically hurt because it is now 24 hours I have seen ROGUE ONE. Signs of withdrawal.

The last time that happened to me is not so long ago, it was with SPECTRE which I went to see 13 times at the cinema.

Im really happy to see the excitement that many fans are getting out of this movie. I feel it too.

Just about every blockbuster I had been anticipating over the last year or so was either disappointing or failed to wow me. Rogue One was the first time in awhile I walked out of a theater feeling thrilled.