No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2016 Posts: 28,694
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    No that's my opinion... I just simply disagree with you. Didn't I just state in my post that this is a forum of opinions?

I retire from trying to make my point. My energy must be spent in other ways. And I don't mean spending all my posts adding "+1" or "+2" to random posts I quote, as that's the very definition of insubstantial on what is meant to be a discussion forum.

@SirHilaryBray, are you going to tell me that your knowledge of heraldry is matched by a knowledge of tailoring? Tell me, how do you feel about wearing a winter peacoat with attached gold balls (called bezants in your line of work, I believe) for the holiday season? Is it fashion suicide or a trend-setting seasonal look? I'm asking...for a friend.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Everyone wants a slice. And everyone is angry. Chill. It's just a damn movie. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm not angry, I'm just looking for fashion advice. And considering I live on the east coast of the US in the middle of a frigid winter, I'm already quite "chill" as you kids say. ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,116
    No that's my opinion... I just simply disagree with you. Didn't I just state in my post that this is a forum of opinions?

I retire from trying to make my point. My energy must be spent in other ways. And I don't mean spending all my posts adding "+1" or "+2" to random posts I quote, as that's the very definition of insubstantial on what is meant to be a discussion forum.

@SirHilaryBray, are you going to tell me that your knowledge of heraldry is matched by a knowledge of tailoring? Tell me, how do you feel about wearing a winter peacoat with attached gold balls (called bezants in your line of work, I believe) for the holiday season? Is it fashion suicide or a trend-setting seasonal look? I'm asking...for a friend.

Yes I'm tired of this too. +45. Let's move on.

And +1 or whatever just means you agree with the poster. It's substantial to them. :D

Again I'm done.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Where did the talk of preliminary development come from?
    A combination of Gary's comments and the fact that they were looking for the next real world threat a few months back.

Yes I'm tired of this too. +45. Let's move on.

And +1 or whatever just means you agree with the poster. It's substantial to them. :D

Again I'm done.

Typing "+1" or saying, "good post" does very little to continue discussions in a fruitful direction, that's all. It's also borderline spam, but I think the point is made.
    Spam??? Well I don't agree but oh well. We'll hit something we agree on soon.
    I'm 99% certain they will continue the story line from SP, 95% sure Dan will come back and about 80% certain Mendes comes with him. Time will tell but there is far more evidence of this being true than not true.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Am I missing something? Is there actual reportage or even speculation of even minimal substance that Mendes may come back.
    Didn't he say he was done?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

LOL :)>-
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I have suggested elsewhere on these forums that the next Bond film could portray Swann as a secret baddie. Supposing her motivation is to kill Blofeld and take over Spectre herself, to bring it back to how her father wanted it run. Now, watch SP from that perspective - maybe her father's death was not part of the plan, but Bond may have been played by Swann to kill Blofeld for her. Why did she come to the bridge at the end of SP? To see Bond or to check he finished off Blofeld for her? And was Hinx really trying to kill Swann in the train fight and just disable Bond, so Ernst could meet him as clearly intended? If you watch SP from this angle, it sets up a twist for the next film, with a power struggle within Spectre as a major part of the movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As with 'Rogue Bond", the "Secret Baddie" has been overdone.
  • I'm not one for numbers, but I am 100% certain I would prefer not to have a story where "this time, it's personal" ... again ... or where Bond goes rogue ... again. Or a girlfriend that needs to be avenged. Or we explore Bond's past, maybe his potty training. I'd really like to see a mission-oriented story where Bond's involvement gets personal only to the point that the villain, who is his equal or better, has bested him throughout most of the movie and Bond ups his game (or uses his wits) to win the day. God knows, with all the newsworthy developments in the world, there should be a bunch of great ideas waiting to be mined.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    writer5150 wrote: »
    I'm not one for numbers, but I am 100% certain I would prefer not to have a story where "this time, it's personal" ... again ... or where Bond goes rogue ... again. Or a girlfriend that needs to be avenged. Or we explore Bond's past, maybe his potty training. I'd really like to see a mission-oriented story where Bond's involvement gets personal only to the point that the villain, who is his equal or better, has bested him throughout most of the movie and Bond ups his game (or uses his wits) to win the day. God knows, with all the newsworthy developments in the world, there should be a bunch of great ideas waiting to be mined.

Quite right, the "boring period" which apparently lasted over 20 years gave way to a time of even more melodrama and formulaic plot elements than before. Those lamenting the use of formula in the 70's and 90's clearly fail to recognize how what replaced it ended up being just as repetitive.
  • I think we all should be a bit more perceptive, a bit more inviting for story ideas that Bond fans have in here. In every idea there's a good starting point. I truly believe that :-).
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I have suggested elsewhere on these forums that the next Bond film could portray Swann as a secret baddie. Supposing her motivation is to kill Blofeld and take over Spectre herself, to bring it back to how her father wanted it run. Now, watch SP from that perspective - maybe her father's death was not part of the plan, but Bond may have been played by Swann to kill Blofeld for her. Why did she come to the bridge at the end of SP? To see Bond or to check he finished off Blofeld for her? And was Hinx really trying to kill Swann in the train fight and just disable Bond, so Ernst could meet him as clearly intended? If you watch SP from this angle, it sets up a twist for the next film, with a power struggle within Spectre as a major part of the movie.

You know, at first this made me cringe... but SPECTRE makes a lot more sense if you watch it with this idea in mind. It explains why Hinx didn't kill her and the "I love you" doesn't sound so out of place. I can see her faking her love only to play with Bond.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    I'm not one for numbers, but I am 100% certain I would prefer not to have a story where "this time, it's personal" ... again ... or where Bond goes rogue ... again. Or a girlfriend that needs to be avenged. Or we explore Bond's past, maybe his potty training. I'd really like to see a mission-oriented story where Bond's involvement gets personal only to the point that the villain, who is his equal or better, has bested him throughout most of the movie and Bond ups his game (or uses his wits) to win the day. God knows, with all the newsworthy developments in the world, there should be a bunch of great ideas waiting to be mined.

Quite right, the "boring period" which apparently lasted over 20 years gave way to a time of even more melodrama and formulaic plot elements than before. Those lamenting the use of formula in the 70's and 90's clearly fail to recognize how what replaced it ended up being just as repetitive.

yes +2 Ooops, I mean, I concur with the general thrust of the sentiments expressed above by the honored members in question ( just razzing)

"potty training" :)

Here is what I think Eon is going to do - I don't have a clue.
    So starting from that general premise, I will expound anyway.
    I think they will continue the Bond versus Blofeld thread and write Swann out.
    How personal this becomes for Bond will depend on who the director is.
    If Mendes comes back (shudder) there may be potty training. Be forewarned.

I would like Swann written out because we've had a year to digest, and I don't think she passes mustard as an interesting enough character to return.
    The Bond-Swann relationship for me, while interesting within the context of SP (sort of but not really though) does not resonate as anything worthy of further development.
    Just write her out and develop a fresh story involving Bond's battles with Blofeld, and do completely ignore the brother-angle, that actually only interests Blofeld anyway.
    It was fully exploited in SP, and went over like a smelly fish, lead balloon etc IMO.
    Best to just let it die, maybe an oblique reference from Blofeld, if we must.

The appeal to me of Bond is Bond on mission, as dedicated pitbull for England.
    I don't even mind the jabs the films take at the USA from time-to-time as Bond is first and foremost, all about England.
    Bond being Bond is what grabs IMO. His snobbery, his love of women, his expensive tastes. his snappy wit, especially the jabs he darts at villains, and his awesome skills as an agent. This Bond on mission, is what I like to buckle in for.
    Craig can play this Bond when the script lets him. That's how I want to see him go out.
    On mission.
    As for Bond's personal dramas. I think the amount we got from the Sean and Rog films was just about right. I can live with the Dalts and Broz quotients too.

As for Bond not shooting Blofeld dead on the bridge, which came up earlier in the thread. IMO there was never a question that Bond would stay the trigger. Bond is not a murderer. He is loathe to kill in cold blood. He will if he has to, but his preference is not to. Fleming made this clear in the books, almost to a fault (final scene with Scaramanga)
    The scenario with Blofeld on the bridge gave Bond an out. Blofeld was easily captured in this scenario. Same deal with Yusef. These guys were caught.
    Bond was not trying to make Blofeld suffer in prison. Bond is simply not predisposed to kill unless he has to, but most of the time he has to.
    Compare with Bond gunning down Stromberg or launching Drax into space.
    Bond was effectively in commando mode at these times. The battles had not been won. He was eliminating the threats.
    Bond though is blunt instrument. He is sent on kill missions and will execute the task as license-to-kill operative, but he does have a code. He is not going to kill indiscriminately. He is motivated by duty, and 00 status confers a lethal element to that duty.
    It is possible that Mi6 might kill Blofeld in custody. Although I don't think that is cricket in peacetime. Protocol would probably dictate he be secretly tossed in a cage-maybe subject to an espionage trial. Or given terrorist status. I don't know how this works.
    But point is moot I think. Blofeld will escape and hopefully not be captured again.

• I like Timmer's thoughts.

To be clear, I was excited about SF and Bond going back to visit his past. But he never really did. No past. Just a shell of a house. There was no excitement or intrigue in that. I feel the opportunity has passed ... for now. Let's instead move forward and get into a juicy mission. And, as a second thread, if Blofeld escapes and goes after Bond -- possibly jeopardizing the mission -- all the better.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Oh this could go and on and on. Too many surprising things have happened in the past. You expect something, something else turns up. But, of course, we all have to force our certainties down the throats of everyone else just to end up winning the argument. That's all it matters, doesn't it? Right!

From what I see, none of you are aware of a thing Eon has been planning all along but all of you want to pass off your thoughts within desires as the "fact". Both sides. What should be. What shan't be. And then comes along the insults.

Now, I'll exit the argument and let you lot keep it up and philosophize one another. Enjoy. Carry on.
    Oh this could go and on and on. Too many surprising things have happened in the past. You expect something, something else turns up. But, of course, we all have to force our certainties down the throats of everyone else just to end up winning the argument. That's all it matters, doesn't it? Right!

From what I see, none of you are aware of a thing Eon has been planning all along but all of you want to pass off your thoughts within desires as the "fact". Both sides. What should be. What shan't be. And then comes along the insults.

Now, I'll exit the argument and let you lot keep it up and philosophize one another. Enjoy. Carry on.

This thread is like a long car ride with family. You know we're so anxious to get there ...we're obviously lost or at least no clue where EoN is driving us ...and we probably all have to go potty.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    What a wild time to be alive.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree with you. I am completely done with all this personal stuff, and am certainly not in favour of any more childhood experiences, including but not limited to potty training.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

This thread is like a long car ride with family. You know we're so anxious to get there ...we're obviously lost or at least no clue where EoN is driving us ...and we probably all have to go potty.

So true very good analogy :)) =))
    007Blofeld wrote: »

So true very good analogy :)) =))

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    gumbolt wrote: »

I agree I have a feeling she is secretly bad you could kind of see it when she leaves him
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Total bullsh*t.

BTW, can we refrain from posting stories such as this one in this thread? No worries obviously, I just don't think they contribute to the topic at hand.
    That story belongs in the potty.
    Sorry, seems to be the word of the last couple of days.
  • DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Same outlet that said Craig had been offered $150 million (by Sony) for two Bond films. I believe Craig later denied that (at the New Yorker Festival appearance).

• DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Same outlet that said Craig had been offered $150 million (by Sony) for two Bond films. I believe Craig later denied that (at the New Yorker Festival appearance).

Yes, and it's so simple: There will be a four-year break between "SPECTRE" and Bond #25. So what do you write about when there is no worthy Bond news? Indeed. You write crap.

Again, I am patient enough to wait until the end of 2019 for another great Craig installment. Patience sadly isn't a virtue anymore these days. Fandom sometimes spirals down into complete boredom.

Just look at my amount of posts in this particular topic. You'll find...that I simply am not posting in here as of late! Because it doesn't interest me a rat's ass, and because I'm patient and realistic enough to indulge in other aspects of my Bond fandom that isn't about Bond #25 production :-).