No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I can't say I was hoping for Mendes to come back, but if he wants to make right of the wrong that was SP, then godspeed. I feel Craig will end on a high because Bond always delivers when they have something to prove.

As for Thomas Newman, it's sort of a love/hate relationship. Because I've listened to the SF & SP soundtrack so many times and I really love them, but sometimes I'm wanting David Arnold back. I think his QoS score is better than most of Barry's Bond work honestly.
    We're getting a bit carried away aren't we? Mendes has made no hint whatsoever that he wants to return - if anything the opposite.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ^Indeed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    All true, but I still believe that if it's Craig, it's likely Mendes, irrespective of what he says or does not say.

He's been known to try and play the media, so I don't think we can take his silence as confirmation he won't be back.

This recent speculation is therefore as valid as anything else, and given that he directed the last two and is quite tight with the producers and current actor, there is a higher probability of his returning than otherwise unless there is a complete team shakeup.
    I just find it crazy there is no other director Craig is friends with and would want to work with. Seriously Mendes is his only friend?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I just find it crazy there is no other director Craig is friends with and would want to work with. Seriously Mendes is his only friend?
    Like Tanaka said, we're getting a bit carried away.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It's not really a question of friendship in my view. They've taken the Craig era in one direction and tied everything together. That was a conscious decision and it was done under Mendes's auspices. Moreover, MP, M & the current Q are all his creations. Additionally, if Craig returns, it's likely only for one more at most. It just makes sense to wrap it all up with Mendes rather than going in another direction until another actor is cast.

There is a far higher chance of Mendes than any other director who has been mentioned here. Names like Villeneuve etc. will have to wait for a recast in my view.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Mendes and Craig's relationship is great and all but after SP, their relationship needs to take a break professionally. At this point Craig needs to work with a director that will really challenge him and take him to someplace new. A new perspective is definitely needed.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »

Mendes and Craig's relationship is great and all but after SP, their relationship needs to take a break professionally. At this point Craig needs to work with a director that will really challenge him and take him to someplace new. A new perspective is definitely needed.
    I completely agree. I just find it highly unlikely when it comes to Craig and Bond, given that he probably has only one left in him, and given how they tied everything together. That's why I'm betting if it's Craig, it's Mendes. The two go hand in hand.

For perspective, the last time Craig worked with someone other than Mendes on Bond, George W. Bush was still president.
    Oh well, so much for that glimmer of hope that Campbell might come back and finish off the Craig era.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Oh well, so much for that glimmer of hope that Campbell might come back and finish off the Craig era.

Why has that hope ended?
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Why has that hope ended?

It hasn't officially really, more of a response to the possibility of Mendes, then Newman returning for B25 and continuing where SP left off. I'm hoping B25 is a stand alone film with or without Blofeld and Spectre. Also if Mendes, Newman and Craig return together for B25, and we actually don't get it until 2019, I'd rule out the possibility of a 6th Craig altogether along with Campbell coming back.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Why has that hope ended?

It hasn't officially really, more of a response to the possibility of Mendes, then Newman returning for B25 and continuing where SP left off. I'm hoping B25 is a stand alone film with or without Blofeld and Spectre. Also if Mendes, Newman and Craig return together for B25, and we actually don't get it until 2019, I'd rule out the possibility of a 6th Craig altogether along with Campbell coming back.

That possibility seems slight at the moment given that Mendes has said that he's done with Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    SP is the only Craig Bond that resembles the best of Moore's, Brosnan's, Dalton's, Lazenby's and even Connery's.
    TSWLM, GE, TLD, OHMSS and GF.

If Mendes continues that way I could even live with Newman again.
    But the risk of getting another drab and dreary snot like SF that was mainstreamed to boring death just to appeal to mass audience is too high with Mendes.
    SP is the only Craig Bond that resembles the best of Moore's, Brosnan's, Dalton's, Lazenby's and even Connery's.
    TSWLM, GE, TLD, OHMSS and GF.

If Mendes continues that way I could even live with Newman again.
    But the risk of getting another drab and dreary snot like SF that was mainstreamed to boring death just to appeal to mass audience is too high with Mendes.

SF is great. Far better than SP.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I agree with Jason. Another SF is a disaster. I barely survived the first round.
  • Comment in this thread about Mendes:
    // Hopefully he has heard and understood some of the criticisms about SP, and approaches B25 with more humility. //

Mendes is 51 years old. I can't imagine such a drastic change in his personality.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,691
    Comment in this thread about Mendes:
    // Hopefully he has heard and understood some of the criticisms about SP, and approaches B25 with more humility. //

Mendes is 51 years old. I can't imagine such a drastic change in his personality.

That's about the same age Moore Bond went from his MR self to his FYEO self. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

I completely agree. I just find it highly unlikely when it comes to Craig and Bond, given that he probably has only one left in him, and given how they tied everything together. That's why I'm betting if it's Craig, it's Mendes. The two go hand in hand.

For perspective, the last time Craig worked with someone other than Mendes on Bond, George W. Bush was still president.

This. Had SP been a critical monster I think Mendes may have walked, but I believe he'll feel he has unfinished business. DC likely has one more in him. Anything could happen, but there is a logic to it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Although to be fair, both Brosnan and Dalton had at least one more in them when they got pushed out. Will Craig wait until 2019? that is the question. If not, then they either have to give up on the idea entirely, or get a serious move on.
  • Although to be fair, both Brosnan and Dalton had at least one more in them when they got pushed out. Will Craig wait until 2019? that is the question. If not, then they either have to give up on the idea entirely, or get a serious move on.

Can I take it from your profile picture that you are a Turner fan? I had only seen him in the Hobbit and just didn't see him as Bond. But I have just sat down to watch an episode of Poldark for the first time and now I could see it. Still not convinced, but I could see it working. Have you seen him in anything else that convinces you?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2016 Posts: 8,119
    Although to be fair, both Brosnan and Dalton had at least one more in them when they got pushed out. Will Craig wait until 2019? that is the question. If not, then they either have to give up on the idea entirely, or get a serious move on.

Can I take it from your profile picture that you are a Turner fan? I had only seen him in the Hobbit and just didn't see him as Bond. But I have just sat down to watch an episode of Poldark for the first time and now I could see it. Still not convinced, but I could see it working. Have you seen him in anything else that convinces you?

:-h Hello there!!

Yes I am indeed a huge Turner fan. It was "And Then There Were None" the adaptation of Agatha Christies best selling novel that aired in December of 2015 that initailly convinced me this guy could be Bond. If you google that, he wears a tux, is clean shaven, and has straight hair for once. This guy screams Bond, let me tell you!

I also have seen both series of Poldark, and it becomes more obvious that this is the headstrong, dark figure with the right sinister stare to become Bond. He'll be 35 around the time B25 is currently expected, the perfect age for Flemings character! :D
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 28
    I just did a quick youtube of "And Then There Were None" and yes he does have a dark quality that I liked! It seems a world away from his role in the hobbit where I thought he came across as quite weak and lacking presence. I will have to check it out in full, thanks!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Hobbit really is no reference for Aidan Turner's qualities. In The Hobbit he comes across silly. But then what does not in that movie.

I am a Turner fan since almost ten years now. Mitchell is one of my favourite TV characters ever and Turner already was bloody (literally lol) fantastic in Being Human at a very young age.
    Imagine what this guy can do once he's reached 35-45!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @michaelbrown, you probably found Turner weak in a feature film and lacking presence since he's a decent TV actor, but lacks credibility on the big screen.
  • peter wrote: »
    @michaelbrown, you probably found Turner weak in a feature film and lacking presence since he's a decent TV actor, but lacks credibility on the big screen.

That's perfectly possible! it may also be as mentioned above that he came across as weak because the Hobbit films were silly and not particular well made... he was sharing screen time with a cast of multitudes too which probably didn't help his cause.

I take it your not impressed with his other work @peter?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @michaelbrown, he's one of many good television actors who, to me, just kind of becomes diminished to me once they get on the big screen. I don't see him as Bond unfortunately; minimal charisma, and, once again, IMHO, quite boring and "actorly". I hate when I can see an actor "act" (also my problem with Dalton).
  • I have to confess that Dalton is one of my favorite Bonds but I do also understand you when you say 'actorly'.

Do you think it could be the case as with some other actors that he grows into a big screen leading man? He is still young afterall. I think whoever ends up replacing Craig (be that for 25 or further down the line) has big shoes to fill. I think unlike Dalton (who I think had to 'act' the part) I think Craig actually shares quite a few characteristics with Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    peter wrote: »

In a nutshell.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @michaelbrown, I'm not sure charisma and screen presence is something one grows "in to". Someone like Connery just had "it"; someone like Arnold Schwarznegger, although NOT a very good actor, had oodles of charisma (that I think came from his ego wanting to win everything; it served him well as a live performer in his body building years, and transferred to his earlier films). And yes, Craig has this as well, and is why re-casting the role of 007 will be very difficult.

I hope you didn't take offence to my Dalton remark; I have said on this forum that the man had the right idea, I just found he executed with too much staginess, not enough natural flow (and, at times, I found him angry and not likeable!).