The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    I don't know - I think I'm making some rational, salient points that I'm happy to calmly debate with anyone from any position of the political spectrum.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,694
    I don't know - I think I'm making some rational, salient points that I'm happy to calmly debate with anyone from any position of the political spectrum.

YOU are, I'm just not able to deal with assholes right now. Another thread for debate would work. Here it's just a playground for fools like Ed209.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    chrisisall wrote: »

YOU are, I'm just not able to deal with assholes right now. Another thread for debate would work. Here it's just a playground for happy=as=pigs=in=shit fascist Trumpeteers like Ed209.

Major, thanks for your recent input -- I don't remember seeing you back in the long ago days of the campaign! Where were you, we could have used a little rationality way back when!

chris, I expect another thread under a different name would likely attract the same people before long. Rename this one if you like.

As many of you may have heard, the great American songwriter Leonard Cohen just died. His voice could be, like Dylan's, an acquired taste...but his songs were instant classics. The first song of his I ever heard was Judy Collins' version of "Suzanne." Here's both Judy and Mr. Cohen singing in harmony from a TV special several years ago.

Lyrics to the 2nd verse are dedicated to the Christians out there who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Mr. Trump:

"And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water
    And he spent a long time watching from his lonely wooden tower
    And when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him
    He said all men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them
    But he himself was broken, long before the sky would open
    Forsaken, almost human, he sank beneath your wisdom like a stone"

(Lest you think I'm being sarcastic, I belong to one such denomination. The Mormons--who meet right across the street from me & mine every Sunday--are another.)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chris, I expect another thread under a different name would likely attract the same people before long. Rename this one if you like.
    Okay.
  • Fine, can I post music videos too? Here's Rufus Wainright's live version of another one of Leonard Cohen's timeless songs, this one about the link between music, love and the sacred force (whichever label you care to give it.)

"Well I've heard there was a secret chord
    That David played and it pleased the Lord
    But you don't really care for music, do you?"
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This thread has no purpose any further, after Nov. 8th decision. It served its purpose. @chrisisall, thanks for all your input throughout this thread and for starting it. I agree, it needs to be locked now. Anyone can start a separate thread on politics; please do if you'd like to.

Only been a couple of days, and the news keeps coming. And it is not good. So much food for thought.
    But we will deal with it, America. We have to. Onward ~

oh and this:

Ed83 wrote: »
    Yes lets shutdown the opposition. Don't worry I'll abandon the thread and leave you to continue playing violins and licking wounds.

Another county that hadn't been heard from before the end of the election. At least the Major has something worthwhile to contribute. Eddie, you get the return of Bob Dylan with one of his best put-down songs: Positively 4th Street subtitled for those who want to learn Spanish so their insults can be more readily understood:

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2016 Posts: 12,459
    The purpose of the thread was fulfilled. Start a separate one. That way we can always come back here to look at what was said just in that one period of time. That is more helpful is all. Otherwise, it will be pages and pages we would have to go backwards to, to find out what was said during and immediately a couple of days after the election. I want it kept just easy to access. I simply think it is better left as is now and start fresh. But that's totally up to @chrisisall; it is his thread, of course.
    Everyone is trapped in their own echo chamber.

Exactly -- and that's one reason I continue to post music that has a bearing on some of the topics on discussion. Maybe by coming at these issues from a different perspective we can start to break out of our echo chambers. For you, my friend, this question: what's big & purple and lives at the bottom of the ocean? Why's it's Moby Grape!...here from the Merv Griffin Show (daytime TV for housewives & other shut-ins) circa 1968:

"Listen my friends....listen my friends....listen my friends...listen my friends..."

• Your choice, chris. Your thread. I'm just here for the canvas...
    Everyone is trapped in their own echo chamber.

Exactly -- and that's one reason I continue to post music that has a bearing on some of the topics on discussion. Maybe by coming at these issues from a different perspective we can start to break out of our echo chambers. For you, my friend, this question: what's big & purple and lives at the bottom of the ocean? Why's it's Moby Grape!...here from the Merv Griffin Show (daytime TV for housewives & other shut-ins) circa 1968:

"Listen my friends....listen my friends....listen my friends...listen my friends..."

As long as you don't post the lyrics as well - so we don't have to scroll for ages.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Let's rename the thread to:

BeatlesSansEarmuffs private record collection.

seems fitting considering it makes up about 50% of the thread's space.

I think, he should open a separate thread for that.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    ekhpgi.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    e31.jpg
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 7,505
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Yesterday a woman was walking in the forest near Chappaqua. And look who she met! Mrs Clinton was there as well with her husband Bill and her two dogs. I'm happy to see that Hillary can smile again. There's nothing better than having a long walk in the forest, breathing in fresh forest air and let nature show that there is a lot to enjoy on our planet. Especially after you suffer one of the most disappointing moments in your life :-). #IamstillwithHer, and I wish her lots of happiness :-):

Q5YXtF6.jpg
    What's hidden comes to light now. Good and bad. In politics, in people - overall! That's a good thing, but certainly not an easy situation. Sometimes darkness rules, before the light can come. We'll see, how this unfolds. But whatever happens - its better then the same bad ole going on forever. The more hate etc will be on open display, the more people will realise, that this is NOT the way to do it. Our brains are full of unnecessary, stupid stuff - to get through this thick layer, it needs to be loud and heavy! This goes for all of us,k not jus America. Trump has opened the box of Pandora and a new game starts.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    What's hidden comes to light now. Good and bad. In politics, in people - overall! That's a good thing, but certainly not an easy situation. Sometimes darkness rules, before the light can come. We'll see, how this unfolds. But whatever happens - its better then the same bad ole going on forever. The more hate etc will be on open display, the more people will realise, that this is NOT the way to do it. Our brains are full of unnecessary, stupid stuff - to get through this thick layer, it needs to be loud and heavy! This goes for all of us,k not jus America. Trump has opened the box of Pandora and a new game starts.

Relax now. Just look at the picture above :-). We all have a walk in the forest some days in our lives. And suddenly the world doesn't seems that bad @Germanlady
    Germanlady wrote: »

Jesus! You have really lost your mind haven't you? :-t

I recognise the rhetoric: "World forces have to collide for order to be restored". Such views always end in disaster...
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    chrisisall wrote: »

YOU are, I'm just not able to deal with assholes right now. Another thread for debate would work. Here it's just a playground for happy=as=pigs=in=shit fascist Trumpeteers like Ed209.

Major, thanks for your recent input -- I don't remember seeing you back in the long ago days of the campaign! Where were you, we could have used a little rationality way back when!

As many of you may have heard, the great American songwriter Leonard Cohen just died. His voice could be, like Dylan's, an acquired taste...but his songs were instant classics. The first song of his I ever heard was Judy Collins' version of "Suzanne." Here's both Judy and Mr. Cohen singing in harmony from a TV special several years ago.

Lyrics to the 2nd verse are dedicated to the Christians out there who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Mr. Trump:

"And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water
    And he spent a long time watching from his lonely wooden tower
    And when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him
    He said all men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them
    But he himself was broken, long before the sky would open
    Forsaken, almost human, he sank beneath your wisdom like a stone"

(Lest you think I'm being sarcastic, I belong to one such denomination. The Mormons--who meet right across the street from me & mine every Sunday--are another.)

Thanks @BeatlesSansEarmuffs I stayed well away from this thread because I came here for the Bond not the politics. Also, I feel like it's not really my place to stick my nose in too much because I'm not American. But the reaction to all of this has been visceral all over the world. And within hours blame has been handed out to many and varied places. I had more of a reaction to the reaction than the actual result...if that makes sense? I'm always impressed and surprised at people's faith in the system. Or at least in the idea that anything will significantly alter the system. Trump presidency will not. And obviously Clinton wouldn't have either. If you genuinely believe in Trump and his policies then that's a little disturbing not necessarily because they are offensive but because it should be obvious that he doesn't have the will or means to build a wall or prevent Muslims from traveling. No person running for president has been able to fulfil their promises. Nixon said he'd stop the war in 68 and then continued Vietnam for four years and escalated into neighboring countries, Obama said he'd close gitmo and it's still open and Bush Sr ran saying he wouldn't raise taxes and then raised taxes.

But I think the criteria for being a presidential candidate has been the significant thing to be changed in this election cycle. And as I've said - the institutions will look after themselves. DNC and RNC are here to stay.

Loving the lyrics by the way...and some Leonard Cohen is very appropriate now...cheers
  • :( Never mind guys & gals
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Yes, seems a bit strange that that is allowed on a politics thread.

Relax now. Just look at the picture above :-). We all have a walk in the forest some days in our lives. And suddenly the world doesn't seems that bad @Germanlady

I AM relaxed, Gustav. ;) What makes you think, I am not? The world is, what we make of it. Its on us.
    Trump is not a mistake. Even those,who hate him, I think, in these musings you find some of what he can achieve by just being here and himself.

We all look up at the sky. We all see the same moon and sun and sometimes stars. We all go to sleep and wake up. Feel lonely at times and pretend to be alright. We all sometimes are sheep and then hold the power to have the largest individual roar. We all hold prejudices and stereotypes towards others and ourselves. We have insecurities and can struggle physically and mentally . We are all scared which has been currently manifesting in all sorts of ways. Let's not let the fear turn into hate but let it turn into power to expand our minds and recognize the movement that has been occurring and help others see it too. We can join forces to listen, communicate and support but first we must all breathe. I want to breathe in unison with the rest of the world. I cried and was shocked, stayed in bed and was ashamed. Along with my sisters, past traumas of sexual and physical assault have been brought up and the struggle of stepping out into the world is scary, thinking now maybe I could be attacked again because a man thinks it's excusable now. Thinking that my brothers and sisters could be attacked even more because people think it's now completely excusable. I want to know people have got my back and I have theirs. I vow to continue being a wall of protection when I come across hate towards others. I vow to continue to expand my knowledge and use my empathy more than ever to ensure I think before I speak, think before I act and to ensure all my actions are from a place of love. My home country has become a place of confusion for me and hate is more prominent than ever from all sides. We're watching a man who represents everything that defines hate become one of the most powerful men. We must show him he doesn't hold the power, we do. And the power we hold will not be used the same way he will attempt to use his. Much love to all and I'm excited to fight for equality more than ever. We need to wake up ALL the powerful, connect to ALL and continue to wake up our own inner power and roar in unison! I was awake before but I'm now staying awake. I ain't staying in bed no more.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Q5YXtF6.jpg

I AM relaxed, Gustav. ;) What makes you think, I am not? The world is, what we make of it. Its on us.

Well, basically no response to this wonderful picture :-P.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    For all the media-induced brainwashing about where Clinton & Trump stand on all the various political issues the one thing everyone seems to be overlooking - the ONE thing I would be concerned about if I were a citizen of the U.S.A - is this man INTELLIGENT enough to be the president?
    Does he possess the mental aptitude to discern what is best for his country? Or does he lack good judgement?

THAT is my main reason for worrying for the USA, nay the world... all the rest is TALK.
    He, Trump, must have had a rude awakening after his first security briefing on the actual state of affairs and not the one he imagined.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    AceHole wrote: »
    For all the media-induced brainwashing about where Clinton & Trump stand on all the various political issues the one thing everyone seems to be overlooking - the ONE thing I would be concerned about if I were a citizen of the U.S.A - is this man INTELLIGENT enough to be the president?
    Does he possess the mental aptitude to discern what is best for his country? Or does he lack good judgement?

THAT is my main reason for worrying for the USA, nay the world... all the rest is TALK.

20161111_123423.png
This discussion has been closed.