The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• SaintMark wrote: »
    He, Trump, must have had a rude awakening after his first security briefing on the actual state of affairs and not the one he imagined.

I have this weird feeling that Trump....willl actually become the most fiscal conservative president and at the same time most liberal president on social issues. I wouldn't be surprised that he will be easily pursuaded by Democrats to focus on that. EXCEPT appointing a conservative supreme court judge...
    I believe that the statement about the stupidity of Republican voters is what is called a Social media creation with no base in reality. But I can understand people needing to believe this.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »
    For all the media-induced brainwashing about where Clinton & Trump stand on all the various political issues the one thing everyone seems to be overlooking - the ONE thing I would be concerned about if I were a citizen of the U.S.A - is this man INTELLIGENT enough to be the president?
    Does he possess the mental aptitude to discern what is best for his country? Or does he lack good judgement?

THAT is my main reason for worrying for the USA, nay the world... all the rest is TALK.
    Yes. He is.

To some, 8 years ago, the rise of oceans began to slow and the planet began to heal as the Messiah walked on earth.

8 years later some things he has done have been successful and others have not. That is what any rational individual with common sense should have assumed would be the case back then.

Now we have a similar situation. A man who has defied all expectations to date (except for a few) and who some believe can't do the job.

As he has done before, he will defy expectations, and they are so low that the surprises will be to the upside, and not the downside, unlike with Obama.

He has a different, more layman communication style and is nowhere near as eloquent as his predecessor, but he is razor sharp and has incisive acuity. His greatest skill is that he is continuously underestimated.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Ed83 wrote: »
    Funny how the libs were up Trump's ass about accepting the election results, but when the shoes on the other foot its a bit different.

They have accepted it.

Doesn't mean they have to be happy about it.

More people in the U.S. voted for Hillary Clinton than for Trump. That is fact.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SaintMark wrote: »
    He, Trump, must have had a rude awakening after his first security briefing on the actual state of affairs and not the one he imagined.

I have this weird feeling that Trump....willl actually become the most fiscal conservative president and at the same time most liberal president on social issues. I wouldn't be surprised that he will be easily pursuaded by Democrats to focus on that. EXCEPT appointing a conservative supreme court judge...

I agree. Trump doesn't care about abortion, LGBT rights, or whether weed is legal or not. If pushing through some of those issues keeps half the country quiet, so he had do what he really wants to in peace, then he will do it. Remember, he is a business man, and this is excellent leverage. That's why I don't think he will be the Hitler everyone is proclaiming. Hitler had a ideology, he had a masterplan. Trump doesn't have that. Trump has certain things he wants to do, yes, including trade and immigration, and partnering with Russia. But a lot of the issues Trump doesn't need care about. Yes, he had to say he was against abortion and read the bible to get the republican base behind him. That's just playing the game, every politician does that.

I agree. Trump doesn't care about abortion, LGBT rights, or whether weed is legal or not. If pushing through some of those issues keeps half the country quiet, so he had do what he really wants to in peace, then he will do it. Remember, he is a business man, and this is excellent leverage. That's why I don't think he will be the Hitler everyone is proclaiming. Hitler had a ideology, he had a masterplan. Trump doesn't have that. Trump has certain things he wants to do, yes, including trade and immigration, and partnering with Russia. But a lot of the issues Trump doesn't need care about. Yes, he had to say he was against abortion and read the bible to get the republican base behind him. That's just playing the game, every politician does that.
    I did mention all of this at the start of this thread. The hyperbole that has gripped everyone over the past year here is amusing to see. Most have just created a reality for themselves (aided by horrendous media reporting) and have gone with it in their minds.

He has to temper his crudeness (he is no longer an entertainer, although a little entertainment from time to time in the top job is fine).

He is a New York Republican (sometimes Democrat) and is originally from Queens. Nothing to worry about here when it comes to social matters.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,325
    I like to think that Trump is somewhere scratching his head saying, 'Jeez, man, the whole thing was just one big joke. I was saying the most ridiculous things I could think of ... and I now I'm President - Man!'
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Let's rename the thread to:

BeatlesSansEarmuffs private record collection.

seems fitting considering it makes up about 50% of the thread's space.

Yes, seems a bit strange that that is allowed on a politics thread.

A silly little thing called "Freedom of Speech." Or in this case, Freedom of Song. Here, sing along why dontcha?

edited November 2016 Posts: 8,199
    bondjames wrote: »

I did mention all of this at the start of this thread. The hyperbole that has gripped everyone over the past year here is amusing to see. Most have just created a reality for themselves (aided by horrendous media reporting) and have gone with it in their minds.

He has to temper his crudeness (he is no longer an entertainer, although a little entertainment from time to time in the top job is fine).

He is a New York Republican (sometimes Democrat) and is originally from Queens. Nothing to worry about here when it comes to social matters.

I haven't witnessed such needless hysteria since Y2K. Actually that isn't true, we witnessed something similar in June when everyone was certain that Brexit would trigger an immediate alien invasion and Godzilla to tear through the major cities.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Y2K
    Brexit
    Trump

yes @Mendes4Lyfe

good one, the hysterical frantic panic in here is wildly amusing.
    People resist change and fear the unknown. As I said before the election, the American spirit fundamentally is a pioneering one. That's what differentiates the nation from others. They admire authenticity, grit, strength and openness. I'm glad they haven't lost that aspect of themselves. They made the right choice with Obama and they have made the right choice again imho. That same spirit (but a little more stoic) exists in the British public as well. They both did the right thing this year, again imho.

Regarding Europe: - I'm not so sure that Le Pen will win, but Hollande is not worthy of the top job imho. Merkel is, but she's on shaky ground, and I hope she can correct herself before she becomes unemployed.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    For all the media-induced brainwashing about where Clinton & Trump stand on all the various political issues the one thing everyone seems to be overlooking - the ONE thing I would be concerned about if I were a citizen of the U.S.A - is this man INTELLIGENT enough to be the president?
    Does he possess the mental aptitude to discern what is best for his country? Or does he lack good judgement?

THAT is my main reason for worrying for the USA, nay the world... all the rest is TALK.

20161111_123423.png

As I was reading this thread, I have the news in the background and they are discussing the role of Facebook and other social media in spreading stories that are just untrue and they used this exact quote as an example.
    Last night on Newsnight, there was a vey good discussion of how social media creates a culture of "confirmation bias" re the news where people just share and like material that fits in with their agenda rather than receive their news from a broader foundation.
    @bondjames
    don't want to sound like a kiss ass but honestly you are the only 100% sane, reasonable person in this thread.
    One can only learn from you.
    If this thread would give an MVP (most valuable poster) award it definitely would go to you.
    @BondJasonBond006, thank you. I appreciate the compliment, although I'm completely unworthy of it. Someone called me a robot on another thread once, and I did feel a bit hurt by it, but there perhaps is some truth to that. I could do with a little more emotion in me from time to time. Thanks again.

If I can return the compliment, I really admire your passion and conviction on issues that are important to you and your ability to go against convention on occasion. It's a valuable trait. Don't ever lose it.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119

If someone means it or not, it still is offensive what he has said the past year @BondJames. I have been bullied a lot as a kid, and I know now that many people didn't mean to shout "Hey Beavis! Asshole!" at me. But the damage has been done in the past. I have seen a lot of child psychologists because of the fact that I have Asperger Syndrome.

It's basically the same with Trump now. As a little, uneducated kidd he bullied a lot of people. And in all honesty, I still think he should apoligize for that. That's called politeness. I don't care if he's from Queens. Many latino's, afro-americans and women simply aren't from Queeens. They have different personalities, are more sensitive. And Mr Trump needs to realize that.

Trump seems to be no Hitler. You have thought so all along. But it still can change. He seems to have his temperament in check for the moment. But the presidency is no Apprentice. Let's judge the man on his actions. Let's see if he doesn't start insulting again next year. Because we still aren't sure. And let's see if the man is polite and educated enough to fully apoligize for all the bad things he said.

And again, if you think it was amusing to see ' the hyperbole has gripped a lot of people', then perhaps you should have some respect for those people who seriously felt or still feel offended. That's not amusing. That's sad.
    For the first time in years there will be a President who isn't technically beholden to anyone behind the scenes. That at least makes for a nice change of dynamic to how things are usually run in the US.

I wouldn't say Trump is left wing on many issues, that there is a lot that he simply doesn't care about. He has always been a economic candidate, primarily interested in sorting out the financial mess the country is in and giving people back their ability to be self reliant.

There are a few areas where a think the independant nature of Trump really reveals itself. No one was saying that letting Russia beat ISIS was a good idea, or that immigration was important until trump came in and championed those views. I actually really like Trumps position on foreign policy. He is not interested in petty flexing of muscles and silly posturing. He sees the potential for the US and Russia to cooperate (again, negiotation is his thing). But if there is to be conflict, he advocates a quick and brutal method.
    @BondJasonBond006, thank you. I appreciate the compliment, although I'm completely unworthy of it. Someone called me a robot on another thread once, and I did feel a bit hurt by it, but there perhaps is some truth to that. I could do with a little more emotion in me from time to time. Thanks again.

If I can return the compliment, I really admire your passion and conviction on issues that are important to you and your ability to go against convention on occasion. It's a valuable trait. Don't ever lose it.

Not a robot, more like a Vulcan. Or half Vulcan. ;)
    patb wrote: »

20161111_123423.png

As I was reading this thread, I have the news in the background and they are discussing the role of Facebook and other social media in spreading stories that are just untrue and they used this exact quote as an example.
    Last night on Newsnight, there was a vey good discussion of how social media creates a culture of "confirmation bias" re the news where people just share and like material that fits in with their agenda rather than receive their news from a broader foundation.

Just look at this image of Trump again and it weirdly reminded me of Daniel Craig with his longer hair at the CR press conference.
    The same compliment I gave @BondJasonBond006 applies to you as well @Mendes4Lyfe. You have taken quite a few shots on other threads for your convictions, which you always lay out rationally. I admire you holding firm on them, even if I respectfully disagree (Turner).
    The same compliment I gave @BondJasonBond006 applies to you as well @Mendes4Lyfe. You have taken quite a few shots on other threads for your convictions, which you always lay out rationally. I admire you holding firm on them, even if I respectfully disagree (Turner).

There is still time, before Bond 25, for you to be convinced of that. >:)
    Thankfully we don't get to elect the next Bond.
    BB will do that for us :)
    From a UK outsider it is like Elliot Carver is about to take up residence in the White House! ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    From a UK outsider it is like Elliot Carver is about to take up residence in the White House! ;)

Can just imagine Trump in the white house taking the piss out of his enemies before exacting some sort of political/military action.

• RogueAgent wrote: »

It's kinda like that for many US citizens as well.

(There's always a connection. Figure it out or don't. Use your brain or use your mouth. Or in this case, your fingers...)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    When Dump announces his cabinet, we will know if he is in the pocket of his NWO connections or not.
    I believe Trump will only choose people who were loyal to him.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

20161111_123423.png

I am very anti-Trump, so trust me when I say that the statement in this meme, which has been floating around for months, has been proven false. Trump never said that.

Just trying to keep it real.

http://www.snopes.com/1998-trump-people-quote/
    nobel-peace-Obama-meme.jpg

You win the war, you win the peace.

You want a peace of me?
This discussion has been closed.