No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He would be an excellent choice.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondjames wrote: »
    The interesting thing about this is if Craig (as an actor) and Bond (as an agent with MI6) are really done, then we would have seen his first two assignments (I realize that there is some debate about whether QoS immediately follows CR or whether the epilogue in CR takes place some time after Vesper's death) and his last two assignments (pretty much).

We would never have seen anything in between - primarily due to the large time gap between the events of QoS and SF.

We never saw the mission assigned by M at the end of Skyfall.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Must have been evaluating Bond, again. ;)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'm actually doing a fan edit of Spectre at the moment. I'm trying to make it more focused on Bond, cut out a bit of the "cheekiness". Make the story flow a little faster. I think you guys will find it interesting. I'm going to open up a thread once I'm done. You don't realise how pointless some scenes are until you see the bare essentials are of the movie.
    @dominicgreene, I certainly hope that you remove the hanging family photo album from your edit. One of the more annoying scenes.

Do you mean in the scene in Tangiers?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    The interesting thing about this is if Craig (as an actor) and Bond (as an agent with MI6) are really done, then we would have seen his first two assignments (I realize that there is some debate about whether QoS immediately follows CR or whether the epilogue in CR takes place some time after Vesper's death) and his last two assignments (pretty much).

We would never have seen anything in between - primarily due to the large time gap between the events of QoS and SF.

Mendes pre-production SF: "I want to project Bond into the future because I want to make a statement on middle age. It will be interesting for the character and audience."

EON: "That is interesting, but we're not going to do it. We just rebooted the character and we want to show him, prime, front and center on exciting missions."

If only...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm actually doing a fan edit of Spectre at the moment. I'm trying to make it more focused on Bond, cut out a bit of the "cheekiness". Make the story flow a little faster. I think you guys will find it interesting. I'm going to open up a thread once I'm done. You don't realise how pointless some scenes are until you see the bare essentials are of the movie.
    @dominicgreene, I certainly hope that you remove the hanging family photo album from your edit. One of the more annoying scenes.

Do you mean in the scene in Tangiers?
    No, I am referring to the hanging photos at MI6 HQ during the finale. I think we already got the point that Blofeld was the author of Bond's pain, and rubbing it in was quite unnecessary imho, despite us living in an ADHD age.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    peter wrote: »

Take out all NINE EYES. When I FF these scenes, it is far more entertaining

I have removed all those scenes. Even a lot of the gang scenes too. Removed the whole Rome chase infact. Lots of stuff I got rid of.

I would cut down the chase, but remove it all? I would also edit the opening sequence that everyone raves about too, it drags...
    Did you remove the gun barrel? Or at least put it after the film, where it belongs?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,756
    So far I have:
    - Cut "Dead are Alive"
    - Cut tracking shot: sorry I know it's cool but it's not important, and besides the first viewing it's a bit unnecessary.
    - Cut entire Bond walks on top of roof/listens to convo/explosion/chase. Why? I wanted to get to the point. We start our PTS with Bond walking along the big crowd, Sciara on his phone, exchanging looks. Creates a lot more mystery, your mind fills in what might have happened before hand. Similar to Skyfall's opening sort of. Also the whole collapse of the building, yet there is never a big deal made about it, is sort of silly.
    - Trimmed excessive helicopter flips.
    - Cut post helicopter scene, excessive shots of Bond getting into the sunset. That's actually a big problem in the editing of this film -- the shots go on for way too flipping long. We get it. We don't need 3 10 second shots showing Bond do whatever.
    - Spectre by Radiohead instead of WOTW: cut most of the scenes with Bond and Madelline together. Focus on the Spectre aspects.
    - Post titles starts: "This is an official question - Mexico city" etc. Continue as usual, cutting awkward pauses. Bond leaves. That's it. No "C" scene.
    - Cut out "I don't know what you mean/secret you cant tell anyone because you don't trust anyone".
    - Cut out Bond's sentimental reaction to M's video; out of character.
    - Cut out entire boat ride, Q scenes, M scene, Rome Aston intro. This was a tough decision but not a single one of these scenes is necessary to Bond's plot except for smart blood, and maybe the Aston but that whole thing about it being for 009 was silly.
    - Bond eyes the funeral > Cut to Sciara wife driving back home.
    - Cut down a lot of the exponential shots
    - Batista kills henchman > CUT TO Austria intro: Yes I cut this whole chase thing out. Builds more suspense as to who got to White first.
    - Cut Q scenes, cut bartender scenes, made chase a bit more fast paced.

That's where I'm at so far.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Would be hard to do a true edit without alternate scenes to play with but interested to see what you come up with :).

If it was me I'd edit everything after the MGM opening.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The tracking shot was something I caught out of the early reviews and was beyond excited for, until I realized that it's not one, continuous shot, which was pretty unfortunate.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The tracking shot was something I caught out of the early reviews and was beyond excited for, until I realized that it's not one, continuous shot, which was pretty unfortunate.
    Logistically they would never be able to pull it off. But it's pretty damn convincing. Still, given the individual tracking shots that were combined, it's an impressive feat nonetheless.
    Surely, they could've gone with something else, then, that would've made it a true one-shot.

However, yes, given the amount of extras in the scene and with everything going on, it's still impressive.
    When watching YOLT the other day, I noticed that Bond running and fighting on the rooftop of the Kobe docks is pretty much one long shot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The most impressive single-shot sequences I've ever seen are still, 10 years on, the farm escape and the Clive Owen rescuing the girl and her child during the climax in 'Children Of Men'.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 40,474
    When watching YOLT the other day, I noticed that Bond running and fighting on the rooftop of the Kobe docks is pretty much one long shot.

I've always loved that scene, it's a wonderfully filmed, impressive one-shot.

Another one I enjoy (aside from it being too dark) is the Bond/Patrice fight - all one shot, culminating in Patrice holding on for his life.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,512
    - Cut entire Bond walks on top of roof

Tut tut. Way to suck the life out of it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    You lost me by "Spectre by Radiohead" Never heard a more awful howling song in my life.
    I don't mind that track actually. Haunting.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You lost me by "Spectre by Radiohead" Never heard a more awful howling song in my life.

It doesn't fit Kleinman's title sequence nor the movie - certainly not the way WotW does.

So far I have:
    - Cut "Dead are Alive"
    - Cut tracking shot: sorry I know it's cool but it's not important, and besides the first viewing it's a bit unnecessary.
    - Cut entire Bond walks on top of roof/listens to convo/explosion/chase. Why? I wanted to get to the point. We start our PTS with Bond walking along the big crowd, Sciara on his phone, exchanging looks. Creates a lot more mystery, your mind fills in what might have happened before hand. Similar to Skyfall's opening sort of. Also the whole collapse of the building, yet there is never a big deal made about it, is sort of silly.
    - Trimmed excessive helicopter flips.
    - Cut post helicopter scene, excessive shots of Bond getting into the sunset. That's actually a big problem in the editing of this film -- the shots go on for way too flipping long. We get it. We don't need 3 10 second shots showing Bond do whatever.
    - Spectre by Radiohead instead of WOTW: cut most of the scenes with Bond and Madelline together. Focus on the Spectre aspects.
    - Post titles starts: "This is an official question - Mexico city" etc. Continue as usual, cutting awkward pauses. Bond leaves. That's it. No "C" scene.
    - Cut out "I don't know what you mean/secret you cant tell anyone because you don't trust anyone".
    - Cut out Bond's sentimental reaction to M's video; out of character.
    - Cut out entire boat ride, Q scenes, M scene, Rome Aston intro. This was a tough decision but not a single one of these scenes is necessary to Bond's plot except for smart blood, and maybe the Aston but that whole thing about it being for 009 was silly.
    - Bond eyes the funeral > Cut to Sciara wife driving back home.
    - Cut down a lot of the exponential shots
    - Batista kills henchman > CUT TO Austria intro: Yes I cut this whole chase thing out. Builds more suspense as to who got to White first.
    - Cut Q scenes, cut bartender scenes, made chase a bit more fast paced.

That's where I'm at so far.

I don't know ...some of those scenes set up or establish location... like the roof top and the eavesdropping ...wouldn't make sense for Bond to blow up a hotel room with a bullet.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think most of the cutting in this film needs to be done after where you've stopped @dominicgreene. Up to the Swann intro it wasn't half bad.
  • RC7RC7
    I think most of the cutting in this film needs to be done after where you've stopped @dominicgreene. Up to the Swann intro it wasn't half bad.

I agree. The scissors are welcome further down the line, but a lot of those moments mentioned above don't need chopping. After all, this film is crafted by people who know what they're doing. We all have our opinions, but attacking it with iMovie and removing all sense of pace and style is stupid. If you want a different movie you have to go way back to the script process not the edit suite.
    I have to agree too although I appreciate the exercise that you're doing. Having said that thanks for sharing.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Does MGM Chief, Gary Barber, not want Daniel Craig to return?
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/09/james-bond-daniel-craig-150-million-rumor

I'm sure Vanity Fair check out their sources, but I don't think Barber would turn his nose up to the actor who made the studio close to $3 billion.

Meanwhile....Ron Howard wants Idris for Bond
    577289724.jpg?w=620&h=426&crop=1
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/06/ron-howard-just-backed-idris-elba-to-play-james-bond-6112530/

Personally, I'm feeling the Aidan Turner vibe. I'm just not sure if he's exciting enough to entice any big-name interesting directors.

aidan-turner-2016-gq-men-of-the-year-awards-02.jpg
    screen-shot-2016-09-07-at-123422.png

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The article is still rooting for Gillian Anderson as Bond with a "Yes!"

They lost me there and I stopped reading it since it's written by an imbecile.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ClarkDevlin in that case, let me put forward...

criminal.jpg?itok=JnMDdCQi

Kevin Costner as James Bond! :D
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,595
    Would love Richardson as the DP on Bond 25. Fantastic cinematographer.

In terms of the cutting, Bond walking confidently atop the building with the crowd dancing below, Newman's score swelling, is one of the best moments of the film. I would never want that cut out. It's pure Bond energy.

One-shots are incredibly overrated. I find, that unless they're absolutely perfect and executed by a master (Scorsese's steady cam stuff comes to mind) they just call way too much attention to themselves and that's a flamboyance and showmanship that I find off-putting in movies. It's why I vastly prefer Roger Deakins to Emanuel Lubezki. Deakins serves the director, serves the story with his beautiful photoraphy. Lubezki is a great "Instagram" cinematographer, but his work (particularly with Inarritu, whose work I find incredibly full of itself and full of shit for the most part) just screams "look at me! Look how difficult this shot was to pull off!" It takes me out of the movie, and thus works against the story and vibe and atmosphere that the film is creating. And that is the antithesis of good cinematography, in my opinion. Deakins creates mood and helps to build theme through images and furthers the characters/story/plot. Lubezki gives us pretty pictures and "tough" shots that call attention to themselves purposefully.

The "one-shot" then, is the apex of this. Unless a movie is purely going for visual trickery and fun, I've grown pretty tired of it. I like when film's utilize them correctly though, to build energy (the pool party scene in Boogie Nights comes to mind, that take just pulls you in and you feed off the energy and you wanna be there).
    Is this true? If Barber yelled at him for that comment he should probably take a chill pill, or start with heroin or something to calm him down.
    They're just grabbing stories from the past and incorporating it into their article. It reads nicely but is pure click bait imho.

The only 'news' item there is from the unnamed source who claims Barber apparently lost it on wrist slasher. I can believe that, because whatever we may think, that wasn't good press.

The more photos I see of Turner, the less impressed I become. I'll take Idris over him any day.