The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Looks insane indeed. I want to watch this I think. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What with The Walking Dead and all the other zombie/infection outbreak survival films, I am feeling burned out on them. Even The Cell doesn't look like it will stand out from the crowd.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 40,465
    A trailer tease for 'Resident Evil: The Final Chapter' shows the first glimpse of footage, with the first trailer to arrive on August 9th:

http://collider.com/resident-evil-the-final-chapter-trailer-teaser/
    is that....number 6 now?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That's right, this will be the 6th film:

Resident Evil (2002)
    Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)
    Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
    Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)
    Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)
    Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017)

I'm not complaining, because I have a weakness for Milla, whether she is Alice or not.
    'The Crazies' director Breck Eisner may direct the upcoming 'Friday the 13th':

http://deadline.com/2016/08/breck-eisner-talks-to-direct-friday-the-13th-paramount-1201800341/

First trailer (sadly, it's a poor quality international one) for 'Resident Evil: The Final Chapter':

• edited August 2016 Posts: 12,265
    Saw Scream (1996); thought it was good for a more modern horror film (the comedy really benefited it). My current Top 5 horror films are:

5. The Thing (1982)
    4. Psycho (1960)
    3. Halloween (1978)
    2. Jaws (1975)*
    1. The Shining (1980)

Runner-uppers include Alien, The Silence of the Lambs, Sleepy Hollow, Poltergeist, and The Sixth Sense. What about everyone else?

*seems to be debate as to whether or not Jaws is a "horror" film. I consider it to be.
    I don't even know where to begin picking a Top 5, but I know 'The Thing' (1982) and Carpenter's 'Halloween' would be on it for sure.

Also, a producer for the upcoming 'IT' movie likens it to 'Stranger Things':

http://collider.com/it-movie-stranger-things-dan-lin/
    Finally: our first full look at Pennywise the Clown in 'IT.' Looks reminiscent of an old court jester:

pennywise-ew-00054120.jpg
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Saw Scream (1996); thought it was good for a more modern horror film (the comedy really benefited it). My current Top 5 horror films are:

5. The Thing (1982)
    4. Psycho (1960)
    3. Halloween (1978)
    2. Jaws (1975)*
    1. The Shining (1980)

Runner-uppers include Alien, The Silence of the Lambs, Sleepy Hollow, Poltergeist, and The Sixth Sense. What about everyone else?

*seems to be debate as to whether or not Jaws is a "horror" film. I consider it to be.

I've never questioned the validity of Jaws as a horror film. Always seen it as a black comedy/horror movie where the shark becomes a monster.
    It looks like they're remaking Nightmare on Elm Street yet again, but this time Freddy could be played by Kevin Bacon!!!

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3403009/kevin-bacon-expresses-interest-playing-freddy-krueger/

That's..... actually PERFECT
    They'll be hard-pressed to top the original, as far as I'm concerned. But having Bacon cast as Krueger would be an inspired start.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 13,894
    Curious choice of casting, though it is born out of a response Bacon gave on twitter, so it is not a cert yet.
    As inventive as the original ANOES was, I still prefer We Craven's New Nightmare. The revamped look for Freddy in New Nightmare is my favourite look of the series. The stripped down, kind of more angular style, is far more chilling than his traditional appearance.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Finally: our first full look at Pennywise the Clown in 'IT.' Looks reminiscent of an old court jester:

He looks like Jack Nicholson... not sure if that makes him scarier or not. :))
    Bloody-Disgusting have posted a script overview of the previous draft (the first post found fottage draft, by Nick Antosca of the in development Friday The 13th. It's set in 1988, and comes of as having a strong mystical leaning.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3398753/ive-read-friday-13th-3d-script-nick-antosca/

I assume that the mask pictured, wouldn't have been the one that Jason was to have worn. Otherwise. I would have really liked to have seen that script make it to the screen.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Bit out of season but I saw Krampus the other night. Pretty good even if the director was trying to emulate Joe Dante.
    What could have been. Sounds like it could've been excellent, with a proper cast and director. What a shame!

So wait, this is the first draft of the recent one they've been working on? Is it at all possible that some of this will be featured? This movie has gone through lots of rewrites, ideas, and development hell, so I've no idea what to expect when it finally hits theaters one day.
    As I understand it, Aaron Guzikowski has completed a draft, that is the current one. The Nick Antosca draft is the previous one. There is a chance that some of the Antosca draft might make it's way into the Guzikowski (just look at the decade long development of FvJ, as new writers were brought in, some aspects were taken out, while other were carried over). Either way, we might as well draw a line through the January 2017 release, and look forward to an October 2017 release.
    October 2017, Friday the 13th, month of Halloween. It would be perfect, as you're right, there's no way it will be out by January.

Dracula PoD is 50......
    So 'Insidious: Chapter 4' is a thing, and it's currently filming. Anybody else just as clueless about this as I am?

The usual three (Shaye, Whannell - who also wrote this one - and Sampson) return with some new cast members. Film is set to hit October 20th, 2017:

http://deadline.com/2016/08/insidious-chapter-4-blumhouse-cast-1201811033/
    A new Ouija is coming out. This is a prequel to the successful "Ouija" from last year...I don't know how I feel about this, the superb "The Conjuring" tried to do a prequel with "Annabelle". I was disappointed. The first ten minutes of "The Conjuring" when they talk about the doll is scarier than the whole Annabelle movie.

A new Resident Evil. I saw the first one back in early 2002 (been that long?) and I actually liked the first Act but then the movie devolved into another flesh eating zombie and lost me. Zombies just don't do a thing for me. Saturated, at least for me. Everyone else is cool with them.

Some of my favorites in Recent memory:
    The Conjuring
    It Follows
    Oculus
    An interesting bit of trivia regarding the upcoming 'IT' adaptation: apparently, when they tried to get this off the ground for the first time back in 2009, they had approached Tim Curry to reprise Pennywise, which would've been incredibly interesting; however, unfortunately, he had his stroke, which left him unable to walk and gave him some speech issues (which I didn't know about for the longest time), so he couldn't do it. Would've been something!
    Ended up going all the way through Scream 4 to finish up the series. I have to say, though the original is definitely the best, it's a unique horror series, and the quirky humor really set it apart. It's too bad the horror world no longer has Wes Craven in it :(
    Anyone seen the trailer for Death House? I'm not sure about the film itself, but that is quite an impressive cast they have pulled together:

Clearly Kane Hodder could still play Jason, and going by a recent interview, putting on the hockey mask one more time, is something he still wants to do.
    As expected, 'Friday the 13th' has been moved to Friday, October 13th, 2017, with Breck Eisner still slated to direct:

http://collider.com/friday-the-13th-reboot-release-date-delayed/

Also, 'IT' has wrapped production:

http://collider.com/it-movie-wraps-production/
    Hardly unexpected, I think we all knew that a January 2017 release was looking more unrealistic over the last few weeks. Pushing it back to October 2017 gives them more than a year. If a Bond film could be released in that time frame, there shouldn't be any excuse for this film.
    I'd say the production schedule for a 'Friday the 13th' movie is 30-50 days, maximum? I think the 2009 reboot took roughly one month to shoot, so it's most certainly more than plausible. Hopefully they get started by the end of the year (it'll be snowy then...) or the beginning of 2017.
    I'm not sure, but 30-50 days sounds about right. The problem is that this one can't seem to make it to the filming stage. This has to be the last change of date, otherwise the next time that the 13th day of the month falls on a Friday, is in April 2018. That'll be 9 years since the last film, the longest gap between films.
  • I don't know why they don't just churn out one of those every couple years. I mean, even the BAD ones I still enjoy sitting down and watching! They don't have to reinvent it every damn time.

Give us Crystal Lake in the snow if they want to change it up, but no more reboots, not more space, etc.

The latest rumor I heard was the next one will be a period piece, set strictly in the 80's, and that's awesome! I feel like the 80's is where Jason is right at home.