The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not yet, but it is in my pile ready, I just need to get around to it. Have you seen it?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    No. I looked for it cinemas when it was released, to no avail. Another one to see.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,422
    And onto Resident Evil: Afterlife, 2010

As previously stated, I canne remember much for this movie, sans the bathroom scene on my first viewing. So it was much trepidation that I watched it last night.

I wasn’t expecting anything special, so it was with great pleasure that I enjoyed Afterlife – the movie came flooding back. The first sequence, set in Umbrella’s HQ, was a blatant attempt to cash in on the 3D crowd. This particular sequence feels more like a video game and owes a lot to the Martix.

Still, I found it enjoyable, watching the delightful Milla kills scores of goons. After that the film settled down, as Alice searched for her friends. It was quite a change from a quasi-video game opening to a more standard movie fare, and one I liked.

For the video game fans there was Claire Redfield from Extinction and her brother Chris, played by Capitan Charisma aka Wentworth Miller. Also assuming the chief villains role is Albert Wesker doing his best impression of Agent Smith, with added scene chewing.

RE Ranking -

RE: Extinction
    Resident Evil
    RE: Afterlife
    RE: Apocalypse
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Afterlife is my favorite, but see where you're coming from regarding Miller and Wesker.
    Don't get me wrong, I digged Wesker. But Miller... eugh. Granted the script didn't do him any favours, but at least try to inject a little personality into the role.
    I haven't seen miller in much else, a episode of Ghost Whisperer and a few episodes of The Flash, in the latter I recall quite a bit of scenery chewing from Miller as Captain Cold.
    He was in, I think, Prison Escape. But I haven't seen that. He was in an episode of Buffy however. He played one of the members of Sunnydale Swim Team.
    Resident Evil: Retribution

Sorry for clogging up your thread like this Major.

This is the first time I’ve seen Retribution and I must say I enjoyed it enormously. The series has evolved at this point to be a blend of sci-fi/horror/action, which is fine by me.

We join Alice (Milla Jovovich), and on her journey she’s been reunited with some old friends, such as Rain (Michelle Rodriguez), Jill (Sienna Guillory), Carlos (Oded Fehr) and Colin Salmon. Missing from RE: Afterlife are Claire and Chris Redfield (Ali Later and Wentworth Miller). I assumed they died in the battle on the ship, which is where Alice is captured by the evil Umbrella corporation, again. Though I can’t say I’m missing them much – both rather dour/uncharismatic for my tastes.

This time it’s up to Albert Wesker (Shawn Roberts) to guide Alice out from her captivity in the frozen Arctic wastelands.

This may be my fav of the RE series. Good pacing, great action, Milla running round in PVC. What’s not to love?

RE Ranking -

RE: Retribution
    RE: Extinction
    Resident Evil
    RE: Afterlife
    RE: Apocalypse
    No need to apologise, that is what this thread is for. And how could I possibly resist Milla in action mode?

tumblr_mabf1gk5rf1qfka5wo1_500.gif

If I were to rank the series, it'd look like this:

1. Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)
    2. Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
    3. Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)
    4. Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)
    5. Resident Evil (2002)

But at the end of the day, I enjoy all 5 films.
    As do I. Looking forward to the Final Chapter...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I do too, sir. This is going to end on a high note I predict. A series that turned out far more consistent and successful than anyone might have predicted around the turn of the millennium. I'm a huge fan.

Question : have you guys seen the animated two films? Closer to the video games and very impressive IMO.
    I have not seen the animated films, but I have seen them around. I should look into getting them.

On a related note, I recently watched A Perfect Getaway. It was a chance to see Milla in a different kind of role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just got this in the mail the other day, waiting for Christmas to crack it open and do a little marathon (what a fitting series for a day like Christmas, ehh?). Figured you guys would enjoy it, came with a ton of cool extras and images and some limited edition stuff:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hellraiser-The-Scarlet-Box-Blu-ray/165982/
    I can understand the lack of the films beginning with Hellraiser: Inferno, but no Hellraiser: Bloodlines? The release of that boxset, would have been a suitable time to release Kevin Yagher's original cut.
    It didn't bother me too much as I already own 'Bloodline,' it was the first three I was dying to have excellent qualities of, with subtitles included. All three blu-ray copies I owned of the first three (prior to this set) had really pour audio/video quality.
    I own the first 8 on DVD, but I would still buy the alternate cut of Bloodlines if is ever released.

Bloody-Disgusting have published a list of the best post-Scream 90's slasher films:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3418189/ranking-slashers-success-scream/

Personally, I have always preferred IKWYDLS to Scream for two main reasons, 1) Jennifer Love Hewitt and 2) it's a straight forward 90's slasher, nothing more nothing less.
    Has anyone see the recent (released on Friday the 13) video that Kane Hodder made, involving upcoming projects and surprises in store:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3421158/kane-hodder-teases-upcoming-surprises-friday-13th-video-message/

A possible return as Jason...? I wouldn't be against another Hatchet film, but it would really need to shake the series up. Hatchet 3, while having an impressive number of horror actors involved, felt like it was going over old ground.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3422702/friday-13th-casting-spring-shoot/

This will be the furthest in development the film has got.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Is that thing really going to see the light of day, or rather the dark of the lake? I'm interested.
  • I wish they'd get on with it already. I mean, even the 'dumb ones' I still enjoy.
    We could have had another 20 movies throughout the 90's into today if they just kept their pace!
    Even after all of the false starts it's had, I am determined to remain optimistic that 2017 with mark the return of one of the genre's most monolithic characters. This is the furthest that the film has moved into production.
  • I wish they'd get on with it already. I mean, even the 'dumb ones' I still enjoy.
    We could have had another 20 movies throughout the 90's into today if they just kept their pace!
    Even after all of the false starts it's had, I am determined to remain optimistic that 2017 with mark the return of one of the genre's most monolithic characters. This is the furthest that the film has moved into production.

Okay, for a second there, I seriously blanked that I had entered the horror thread and thought you two were talking Bond. Everything made sense—though the number 20 sounded high—until the Major mentioned his optimism for 2017.
    Definitely the closest we've gotten to production. Hopefully this thing will see the light of day by the end of the year, I'd be very happy.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I'm confident that it will. Seeing as they are already casting, we should hear something soon. Bear in mind that they are scheduled to begin filming sometime in March.

And a little more news:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3422814/friday-the-13th-casting-call-seeks-young-jason/

It might be the 13th film, but it's not Pt 13 (the reeboot sits in it's own timeline). The only way this could be Pt 12, is if it is part of the original series (that ends with the events of Jason X).
    While I highly doubt they're going with twins for the storyline, and are likely just casting them due to how long they can use child actor's per day, I can only assume this will be a soft, semi-reboot, of sorts? They are going with 'Part 13' in the title, while subsequently casting a younger Jason and his parents (unless this is all just a flashback to get the movie rolling, like the reboot).
    Anyone ever seen 'Event Horizon'? I saw it a long while back, didn't remember many scenes from it, but I do recall thinking it was pretty awful. Randomly started reading up on it a few weeks back, and kept reading so many glowing reviews and comments about how it was a cult classic, so I gave it another shot, and wow, what a twisted and underrated horror flick it is. What I wouldn't give to see the Director's Cut version, where Anderson had to chop around 30 minutes of extra scenes, gore, etc. Apparently the footage was irreversibly lost/destroyed, until someone came across a VHS copy of it, which they may attempt to turn into a Director's Cut at some point in the future.

A man can dream. Check out the movie if you've never seen it, it's 'Hellraiser' meets 'Alien.' This is what 'Hellraiser: Bloodline' should've been.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I have always enjoyed Event Horizon for being a scifi / horror mashup.

I like Hellraiser: Bloodline, but if the Producer's Cut of Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers can get an official release, albeit it only on BR (GGRRRRR!) and only in the Halloween boxset (double GGGGRRRRR!), then maybe there is hope for the original Kevin Yagher cut.
    @MajorDSmythe, I was pretty pissed off that the Producer's Cut of 'The Curse of Michael Myers' was solely available through that boxset; the only films I wanted to own in the series, I already have, so I wasn't going to shell out $100 or whatever just for one cut of one movie. Maybe they'll do a standalone release of it one day.
    There are copies of the Producer's Cut on ebay, but I don't know how BR's and region coding work. Is it the same as with DVD, where if you have a multi-region player, you can buy from anywhere?
    There are copies of the Producer's Cut on ebay, but I don't know how BR's and region coding work. Is it the same as with DVD, where if you have a multi-region player, you can buy from anywhere?

I believe it should be, though I've never purchased a multi-region player, so I'm always stuck with Region A/Region-Free releases. Fairly certain the coding for both DVD and BR is the same.