No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think that Bond's phone call to Moneypenny during the car chase is probably the worst thing in Spectre. We're supposed to be engaged in an exciting, high-speed pursuit, and they cut away to a shot of Naomi Harris' fridge. What on Earth were they thinking? I cannot believe that made it through editing.

Ah, The Domestic Life of Miss Moneypenny, err Spectre.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    To be fair it's better than M getting ready for a Bath in QOS. =))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think that Bond's phone call to Moneypenny during the car chase is probably the worst thing in Spectre. We're supposed to be engaged in an exciting, high-speed pursuit, and they cut away to a shot of Naomi Harris' fridge. What on Earth were they thinking? I cannot believe that made it through editing.
    One can't make this stuff up. £24m (yes, it was pounds sterling and not $) on a bloody car chase, a reputed $250m on the budget, and something this asinine makes it into the final cut. Sometimes I think they were taking the piss.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Murdock wrote: »

I'm sorry I get your point but I don't agree this time. That really didn't slow down the sequence and added to urgency of trying to hinder Bond. Just my opinion.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

The SP chase is meant to be far more of a light-hearted, operatic sequence than an edge-of-your-seat, action packed one. The call interrupts none of that momentum for me.
    The editor cut back to Moneypenny closing her frig... plus the timing slowed down a chase trying to rev up which it did barely and too late.

And they so to start setting up the foster brother angle to add insult to injury.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Possibly the most left of field casting rumour I've heard thus far.

movienewsguide.com/latin-james-bond-007-fernando-carrillo/264270
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    One can't make this stuff up. £24m (yes, it was pounds sterling and not $) on a bloody car chase, a reputed $250m on the budget, and something this asinine makes it into the final cut. Sometimes I think they were taking the piss.

Which is precisely why I won't go easy on EoN. People often cite their past glories as if it gives license to some of the dumb shit they've been pulling lately but ultimately EoN have been long in the game to know better. SP was a mess of a movie, beyond disappointing and given the time and resources available they really doubled down on dumb shit.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I'm sorry I get your point but I don't agree this time. That really didn't slow down the sequence and added to urgency of trying to hinder Bond. Just my opinion.

I agree. The scene conveyed Bond thinking he was making progress only to have M shut that down and pull him 2 steps back. Where Bond had the assistance of MI6 one minute, in the next Monday basically disavowed him, while removing her makeup no less. It was actually a good scene and added to the suspense of what the hell Bond was going to do next all on his own....unlike that terrible intercutting of that awful car chase in SP.
  • If they absolutely had to deliver so much exposition during a car chase (they didn't), they could at least have tried to inject some tension into it. Moneypenny doesn't seem the least bit concerned about Bond, she starts making a sandwich for f*cks sake.
    Can't really blame MP because Bond himself isn't even remotely bothered. The tone of his voice and the actual discussion they're having is evident that MP has no cause to be concerned. Bond seems more interested in the fact MP has a bedfellow.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If they absolutely had to deliver so much exposition during a car chase (they didn't), they could at least have tried to inject some tension into it. Moneypenny doesn't seem the least bit concerned about Bond, she starts making a sandwich for f*cks sake.

Well, of course not. There's never a moment where Bond says to her, "Hey, Moneypenny, I'm being chased by a scary strongman in an orange sports car, in case you weren't aware. I could totally die soon, so hurry up on the intel."
    If they absolutely had to deliver so much exposition during a car chase (they didn't), they could at least have tried to inject some tension into it. Moneypenny doesn't seem the least bit concerned about Bond, she starts making a sandwich for f*cks sake.

I probably should've been making a sandwich during that sequence too. Would've been a better use of my time.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Can't really blame MP because Bond himself isn't even remotely bothered. The tone of his voice and the actual discussion they're having is evident that MP has no cause to be concerned. Bond seems more interested in the fact MP has a bedfellow.

This cuts to the heart of what is wrong with the whole sequence - Bond doesn't care, Moneypenny doesn't care, not even Hinx seems to care. So why should we?
    doubleoego wrote: »

This cuts to the heart of what is wrong with the whole sequence - Bond doesn't care, Moneypenny doesn't care, not even Hinx seems to care. So why should we?

Yes, Hinx was polite and waited for Bond to finish his call.

In fact Hinx was always very polite ...waited for guy to finish talking before gauging out his eyes, let Bond and Swann finish their drinks before attacking ....just all around very polite guy.

I probably should've been making a sandwich during that sequence too. Would've been a better use of my time.

Post of the week
    Risico007 wrote: »

Post of the week

Thanks
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,296
    You're welcome. Also and I hate to be a bugaboo, but the fridge scene worked splendors for me, as it made me laugh all over the place because of the disparity in danger..... Will she go for the mustard? Will she forget that the ham is expired? Oh the tension and suspense am I right friends. In fact I am almost kind of wanted to see some macro closeups of the sandwich Moneypenny was making during the chase, to see what she would spread on it, those thick creamy textures of mayo and mustard on ham, whole wheat bread for a late night snack, does her boyfriend want anything etc. A scene so tight and fine it blows the mind.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,116
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    You're welcome. Also and I hate to be a bugaboo, but the fridge scene worked splendors for me, as it made me laugh all over the place because of the disparity in danger..... Will she go for the mustard? Will she forget that the ham is expired? Oh the tension and suspense am I right friends. In fact I am almost kind of wanted to see some macro closeups of the sandwich Moneypenny was making during the chase, to see what she would spread on it, those thick creamy textures of mayo and mustard on ham, whole wheat bread for a late night snack, does her boyfriend want anything etc. And a scene so tight and fine it blows the mind.

Admittedly it was the best sandwich scene since GE. :P
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    "Of course, Mr. White!" @Creasy47 .

Like having a screwdriver jammed into my ears.

Don't choke on the tomato.
    I must say, my favorite thing about SP by far was bringing back Mr. White. I'm very glad they didn't leave him out of the picture, because his character was instantly one of my favorite Bond villains since CR. And I very much enjoyed his finished arc in SP.
    It was the aaaaaaaaa.......-HAA! moment we were all waiting for the last 7 years, no screwdriver required. :)

Don't choke on the tomato.

I'll be careful. :D
    I wanted a scene with White & Oberhauser interacting.
    And I wanted even more for Oberhauser to play Vespers interrogation tape rather than Whites suicide.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Funny how quality can be determined by consensus, but not his inanity.
    I see some members are having bad days today, is this directed at me ?
    Oh thank God I thought we were beefing. Please let's all be friends, except for that one guy. :)
    The moment I heard White speak in the SP trailer, I yelled with such glee my mother thought something bad had happened, and came to check on me and also yell at me for the high decibel level at the same time. Couldn't help it, you understand.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh that was by far the most exciting part of the trailer for me, 0Brady! I LOVED White returning and that particular scene was just perfect in the film (and the trailer). I agree. @FoxRox, that bringing White back was simply great. It was one of the most, if not the most, satisfying thing for me about Spectre.