The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    This is a 'change election'. Trump is unquestionably now the 'change candidate'. The media pile-on over the past few weeks has only served to confirm that, as did the 50 foreign policy establishment folks who wrote the open letter & some of the Republicans who've come out against him (Romney, Bush - both yesterday's news and men). In a way, they've done his marketing for him. 'Straight Talk Express' McCain is still a supporter, as is 'Clean Cut Budget Boy' Ryan, and they are more valuable from a marketing standpoint than 50 Bushes or Romneys imho. The only question is whether he is 'acceptable change'.

From my understanding, that 'undecided' element is large enough to win this election for one candidate and they may break decisively in one direction post-debate.

math-exam-doesnt-make-any-sense_547.gif

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    The "change" candidate. It makes sense if you want an apocalyptic change as a nearly sure thing. Change does not equate being good change, no.

We need a high voter turn-out, I suppose we agree on that one point at least.
    Hey talking about crossing the line with rhetoric ... bygone days

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Wow. That's ****** up.

That's about what Trump said the other day with his 2nd Amendment comment. I dislike Hillary Clinton as much as any of the sane Republicans, but to take his already despicable shtick with regards to inciting violence and then aim that at a political rival is beyond despicable. Political figures already have to deal with a decrease in personal security due to the offices they hold, but in a supposedly stable democracy, they shouldn't have to fear that their rivals are stoking the fires of violence against them.

If this wont' get Paul Ryan and the rest of the GOP to disown him, then nothing will. I'm keeping track of which Republicans are maintaining their support for Trump. Should they ever run for national office, they will never be able to get my vote. Ever. I'll back either Democrats or third party candidates over every single one of them.
    Can we maybe put a lid on this a little until the first debate goes? I'm not trying tos tep on any toes. :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,159
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Can we maybe put a lid on this a little until the first debate goes? I'm not trying tos tep on any toes. :)

You are always the voice of reason, venusaur.
    Well this is the American political thread. So I am just posting articles that are currently relevant, and people are making comments as they feel like. It is an option to read, as are all threads. As long as we are not obnoxious or rude to each other, I think comments continuing are acceptable. As far as I know, we are not shutting this thread till after the debate (unless a mod would prefer that). @DarthDimi @Creasy47 @NicNac ??
    dalton wrote: »

That's about what Trump said the other day with his 2nd Amendment comment. I dislike Hillary Clinton as much as any of the sane Republicans, but to take his already despicable shtick with regards to inciting violence and then aim that at a political rival is beyond despicable. Political figures already have to deal with a decrease in personal security due to the offices they hold, but in a supposedly stable democracy, they shouldn't have to fear that their rivals are stoking the fires of violence against them.

If this wont' get Paul Ryan and the rest of the GOP to disown him, then nothing will. I'm keeping track of which Republicans are maintaining their support for Trump. Should they ever run for national office, they will never be able to get my vote. Ever. I'll back either Democrats or third party candidates over every single one of them.

If there was more Republicans like you the GOP would still be called the party of Lincoln. Now it's dead and has been mutated into the TRUMP party.
    I hope to see everyone in thsi thread on other threads to talk about Bond too, make posts everywhere and rememeber not to stress out and go for the throat just about politics, be happy and smile in every possible place.
    Yes, I agree, @IGUANNA. :)
    Yes, I agree, @IGUANNA. :)
    Thank you, it can be stressful to read about mean images and good friends attacking on one another over and over and over until we're all dead. Nothing good can come of it.
  • IGUANNA wrote: »

Here's a wonderful idea: it's going to be about 3 years until the next Bond movie comes out. Can we just put a moratorium on any further comments on the Bond movie series until the next one comes out?

No, I didn't think so...
    This is a Bond message post board so no, I dont think so either.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well this is the American political thread. So I am just posting articles that are currently relevant, and people are making comments as they feel like. It is an option to read, as are all threads. As long as we are not obnoxious or rude to each other, I think comments continuing are acceptable. As far as I know, we are not shutting this thread till after the debate (unless a mod would prefer that). @DarthDimi @Creasy47 @NicNac ??

@4EverBonded, As much as I hate to see so much attention go to that idiot Trump and as much I feel sorry for those members who reveal themselves as actually being seduced by his "Triumph Of The Will", I guess we can keep this one (!) thread going. I must say I'm shocked to find some folks here such proud Trump followers since a smart person has only to hear half a speech of Trump to decide he's ready for a lifelong commitment in an insane asylum. Honestly I find this entire thread one big joke. What's there to 'debate' about? Smart people debate serious topics. This thread debates whether or not a Hitler wannabe has anything useful to contribute to 21st Century America. I'll be especially curious to see where we take things after Nov 8. Whoever wins, we're living in sad times, so much is clear.

Ah well, I can't say it any better than Sam Harris:
    Well. Here is just what is continuing to happen at Trump rallies. If you feel like viewing, here is this video; and at least glance thru the comments. (The comments on the original poster of the video are even worse; you can view both sets if you'd care to.)
    This is not the usual kind of thing that has been encouraged from the stage, by the nominee himself or herself in the past. This year, oh yes it is. You can substitute various groups of people Trump's supporters (NOT all, but these that feel so emboldened) turn against: Muslim, Mexicans, etc.

And honestly, there has been worse. But this is current, so I thought I'd share it now.

Also, more than one of Trump's ideas - things he said he would do/will do - would require an act of Congress. This is one of them:
  • IGUANNA wrote: »
    This is a Bond message post board so no, I dont think so either.

Ah, but we discuss so many things besides Bond here. Would you like us to stop discussing non-Bond movies? Non-Bond comics/graphic novels? If the cooking thread starts up again, as rumor says it will, should we only have recipes for scrambled eggs? Again, I don't think so and I'd guess that you don't really think so either.

Okay, here's an attempt to tie the current political situation to the World of Bond. The Great Orange Orangutan (trying to mollify Darth Dimi here & not mention the "T" word) is now suggesting that President Obama is also the founder of Isis. And if pressed, he'll allow that probably Hillary is the co-founder. This reminds me of Roger Moore's first outing as Bond -- in Live And Let Die, the Big Bad, Dr. Kananga, President of a fictional island nation in the Caribbean, also doubled as Mr. Big, Harlem crime lord. At the time this film was released, I thought this was an absurd set-up. Harlem crime-lord is a full-time occupation. So is President of fictional island countries. How could any one man, brilliant though he may be, pull off that feat? So now I'm asking the same question here: leaving aside the fact that President Obama is trying his best to eradicate Isis ('ll leave debating his level of success to others,) how in the world did he find the time to cover two full time jobs?

Which brings us to other Bond/real world tie-ins. Is Elliot Carver facing a huge downfall now that Roger Ailes has been booted from Faux News? Is Ernst Stavro Blofeld actually holding the real D. Trump prisoner just outside Las Vegas so that he can actually run for President of the USA in disguise (albeit very, very badly)? Can anyone else turn this lunatic political season into an over-the-top Bond adventure?
    Carver was Trump subtle.
    Trump referring to Mexico as "Boomtown USA" .... in case anyone thought he would change, the "wall" is touted again.

• DarthDimi wrote: »
    Honestly I find this entire thread one big joke.

Hey, if we can make you laugh once or twice, then to quote G.W. Bush: "Mission accomplished."
    Oh it is a joke, @DarthDimi; but such a sad commentary on our society at the same time. I still find some things quite amusing. Well. As long as he is not elected ... and no one gets injured or grievously assaulted. Which is tenuous at best. This election has been a wake-up call in several ways.
    On Trump and some of his supporters ... the anger. I do think this wording is apt: "....appealing to the mob."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Trump referring to Mexico as "Boomtown USA" .... in case anyone thought he would change, the "wall" is touted again.

Has he raised the wall's height any more centimeters? I think he's added 10cm to it so far...
    Well. Here is just what is continuing to happen at Trump rallies. If you feel like viewing, here is this video; and at least glance thru the comments. (The comments on the original poster of the video are even worse; you can view both sets if you'd care to.)
    This is not the usual kind of thing that has been encouraged from the stage, by the nominee himself or herself in the past. This year, oh yes it is. You can substitute various groups of people Trump's supporters (NOT all, but these that feel so emboldened) turn against: Muslim, Mexicans, etc.

And honestly, there has been worse. But this is current, so I thought I'd share it now.

Also, more than one of Trump's ideas - things he said he would do/will do - would require an act of Congress. This is one of them:

The Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" playing at a Trump rally in an election year this dire is so on the nose it hurts. Trump and his followers don't even see how foolish they appear to everyone else on planet earth to the tune of the song's commentary.

Who knows when we'll actually get what we need. Not for fours years at the earliest...
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@4EverBonded, As much as I hate to see so much attention go to that idiot Trump and as much I feel sorry for those members who reveal themselves as actually being seduced by his "Triumph Of The Will", I guess we can keep this one (!) thread going. I must say I'm shocked to find some folks here such proud Trump followers since a smart person has only to hear half a speech of Trump to decide he's ready for a lifelong commitment in an insane asylum. Honestly I find this entire thread one big joke. What's there to 'debate' about? Smart people debate serious topics. This thread debates whether or not a Hitler wannabe has anything useful to contribute to 21st Century America. I'll be especially curious to see where we take things after Nov 8. Whoever wins, we're living in sad times, so much is clear.

Ah well, I can't say it any better than Sam Harris:

Agreed on everything except on one thing: Trump is not a Hitler wannabe, he's an American Mussolini. Okay that makes him an Hitler wannabe.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,615
    @Ludovico, but I bet he's incredibly popular amongst white trailer trash, flat earthers, hillbillies, white supremacists and gun slingers. Who wouldn't want a fan base like that? I mean, seriously... Half the country still clings to Iron Age fantasy tales for answers about the origin of the universe, so why not follow this cave man whose proverbial two cents on almost every topic are barely worth the copper they contain. Oops, I dragged science into this. Now I've lost all of Trump's followers. I mean, education and all... a fairly remote concept - repeat after me, "con-cept", that's Latin, folks - for Trump fans.

2FCD09FB00000578-0-image-a-28_1451965385670.jpg

See? This woman just oozes intelligence, doesn't she? I bet she has that same look when she tells people about the ghosts in her house, about the demonic possession of her eleventh child 'Maybell' and about that black man that lives in town and who is no doubt responsible for all the bad things that have happened to her, including the Great Flood and the Devil seducing Eve when he did, some 6000 years ago. Too bad she left her KKK membership card at home; Donald would be so proud of her. But I guess she sleeps well at night, knowing this man will build a wall around the You-Ass-of-A, which is how we call that little nature reserve for white supremacists, protecting all those kind Creationists from those evil people who worship ... uhhh ... the same god of Abraham. Wait, did I just throw in a contradiction in Trump's bulletproof philosophy? I'm sorry, I didn't realise that. I was too busy explaining to some trumpists that those flash lights they saw in the night's sky weren't the same aliens who abducted old Buford and stuck all sorts of painful probes in his arse. Ah man, now I have to explain "abduct" to these people. Yeah, poor chimps I mean chumps never went to school and all that. Trump's lies sound like the truth to them so I guess it's only fair to assume these poor degenerates were never educated passed the three syllables of "bar-be-cue".

Trump-Supporters.jpg

Oh man, now I'm convinced! If some hippy dude who stood up one day BARELY 2000 years ago and said, "World, I'm the son of God. Hear me roar!", endorses Trump, who am I to question his validity as the next president? See? That woman even offers Trump her baby. God demanded the same thing of Abraham, that's how kind a god he is. The god of love and peace and GIVE ME YOUR FIRSTBORN NOW! Reminds me of Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers movies. Lovely to see Trumpists on the exact same intellectual level. Yeah, they will make America soooo great.

Just my two cents, copper and zinc included. (Oops, science again. Sorry, I should know that Trump never evolved passed alchemy. What else gave him that great hairdo if not the philosopher's stone?)

Wait, what? I insulted people? I humiliated people? Oh, I'm sorry. I guess Trump's tactics are easy to copy. Forgive me, you're right. I should return to civilisation, get my brain functioning again and just scoff at 40-something perfect of America. Land of the brave, folks!
    @DarthDimi boy you're on fire! Trump does look like Fat Bastard actually. But his facial expressions are all Mussolini. And he may be the first presidential candidate to openly have incestuous desires for his daughter.
    @DarthDimi that was priceless! =))
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,615
    @Ludovico, Trump should watch out then. America, being about as conservative (and as gun crazy) as the average Muslim country, doesn't take so kindly to "indecent" sex stuff. Remember Bill? Bill Clinton? Great guy. Stuck his man-carrot in places where his secretary went looking for her nail polish. Big deal, right? Yet the USA exploded! This man had to publicly answer for a friggin' blowy! What a baaaad man he was, old Bill. So, to take revenge for this obnoxious crime, America retaliated by electing a president who promptly started World War III. Hollywood backed him up of course by endorsing tons of movies about "our brave boys", about "we are soldiers!", about "patriotism"... you know, the kind of films that show you half-dead soldiers parading in slow motion, saluting the flag, while some John Williams wannabe provides a sentimental symphony of strings and horns, brainwashing every American kid into thinking this is how normal people live their lives. Yeah, Bush was a hero. But not Bill Clinton, no, he was a dirty filthy sex maniac. Surely we can't have such a pig as our president!

So Trump has to watch out. If he openly fancies a night with his daughter, he better compensates with enough 2nd Amendment stuff.
  • Yeah Trump is not a good candidate but the truth is he is more liberal and less in tow to the religious nutters than many of his fellow republicans. Hilary would be much worse for America than Trump, who may if he is allowed to, do something about illegal immigration. He is not erudite, articulate and he doesn't have polished speeches. He speaks off the cuff and doesn't have all his speeches written out for him to repeat verbatim. I prefer that from politicians.
  • This world is just soooo confusing anymore. I thought moderators were supposed to be, I don't know -- moderate? ;)
This discussion has been closed.