The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love The Shawshank Redemption. For so many reasons.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    What do we call Bill if Hilary is elected? First Lad?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    jake24 wrote: »
    ShillBill. Sorry- not a fan of his.
    First Gentleman, I guess.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jake24 wrote: »
    @jake24, First Man, maybe?

That label may in fact spark a prominent movement for men equal to that of feminism for women. "What do you mean 'First Man?" Can't we just be men, and not first, second or third something or other, since our entire presidential history is marked with strong masculine figures?" Masculism is an actual term already, I do believe, so this may come to pass.

And then there will be big backlash from radical feminists who will moan that men have no right to complain about labels like that since they've had to deal with them throughout all of time, and blah, blah, blah.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    If 24 is to be believed, Bill would be the First Gentleman.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Seems a bit too...English to me.
  • It's just a matter of common usage. Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you: the First Lady (common usage since 1776 or so) and the First Gentleman (get used to it from 2017-2021 at least. Failing the Second Amendment Option, of course...)
    Failing the Second Amendment Option, of course...)

Bad boy....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Trump as president.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Failing the Second Amendment Option, of course...)

Bad boy....

Hey, I'm just sayin'....that some people are sayin'. It would be a terrible thing, of course...
    Do people forget so easily ? Noone remembers what happened the last time someone used that kind of rethorics ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tucson_shooting

Frightening, just frightening. I'm not laughing.
    I'm not laughing either because extremists may take this to heart. That is how some people get assassinated.

So here are two new items: The irony ...

and re the hack of DNC emails:

As I said, people are keen to be martyrs. And the media would make their sordid legacy everlasting, albeit unintentionally. That's part of what makes it so sad.
  • Gerard wrote: »
    Do people forget so easily ? Noone remembers what happened the last time someone used that kind of rethorics ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tucson_shooting

Frightening, just frightening. I'm not laughing.

No I haven't forgotten about Gabby Giffords at all. I think I've already established my own horror at The Donald's most recent overstatement. It's just that humor & horror sometimes go hand-in-hand for artistic purposes. My apologies to anyone who takes offense to my moment of ill-considered levity. (See, Donnie? It's really not that hard.)
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Gabby's own tweet on this:

Oh and click on and scroll down comments on all the tweets I put up. It is an eye opener to the kind of sick bigoted hate-filled scum that live to comment on social media. Not just Gabby's (comments rather restrained there compared to most tweets)
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Interesting how many are so ready to put down Ms. Gifford's, who fought for her life through injury, while Trump jumped like a baby without mother and nearly toppled his lectern over that time someone was trying to aggressively join him on stage at a rally. But he's got the purple heart, not Giffords, so I guess he's the real hero. 8-|

Trump's idea of a sacrifice must be having to choose between either a strip-steak or beluga caviar at dinner time.
    The comments made in rallies this election are ... (fill in the blank yourself)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Hilary is far worse for the country in the long run than Trump. Saying some off colour remarks on a podium does not necessarily translate into a fascist dictator. The only people who believe that are those who WANT to believe it as a means of discrediting a candidate they don't agree with.

There is no successor to Trump. If he messes things up, there will almost certainly be an opportunity to correct the mistakes down the road. Thats how a presidency should work. With Hillary, she is taking the reins of someone brought by banks and special interests, and she will continue that course towards a globalist future. We may as well have given Obama a third term, because its the same god damn thing if he's there or not there.

You're absolutely right, for with Trump, the US HAS no long run anymore. Within 4 years he'll have destroyed the country. First plunging it in an economic crisis, then sending warheads to North Korea, forgetting China and starting the final world war. The man doesn't understand the whole concept of nuclear deterrence. If you don't understand that, you're mssing out on essential thinking.

You think Obama is part of the MIC, whereas he's been opposing it where he could. It's been protected (since WWII) by the Republicans. If Hillary is going to be more of the same like Obama the world will be a lot safer. The last president to start an invasion, and hence creating ISIS, was G. W. Bush. Remember?

Trump will invade a country if he has a bad hair day. You want him to negotiate with the likes of Putin? Good luck! Putin eats people like Trump for breakfast.

I still can't fathom that Hillary and Obama are now blamed for missteps their Republican predecessors made.
    bondjames wrote: »
    FLeiter wrote: »
    what exactly do you mean? "You'll see"?

This means that, come November, she will become the president, and in the course of the next four years we'll all be able see whether I was right or wrong.
    I'm checking out now. :)
    I agree completely @Superintendent, and said as much in mid June on this thread.

Huh? That's a lie. I refer everyone to the 2nd post of this long thread where you said:

My money is on Trump or Sanders.

Possibly you should stay in the imaginary apt. or was it a condo and get your stories straight.
    Interesting that you went back to the 2nd post, when we were still in the primary stages, to make your point. As far as I can see, Trump is the nominee, isn't he, or are you one of the Never Trumpites?

Moreover, my quote above says 'if she wins': a point that has obviously been missed by you during your attempts to be disparaging.

Insults here, selective posts to make your point, abusive photo posts there. Hmm.

Much like Trump, you just throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks. ( I say the sun will rise in the east, but it could rise in the north, even though it has never done that before.) And like Trump, you say contradictory things constantly and then deny saying it.(My money is on Sanders.) The 3 grade grammar is always laughable. You really are disingenuous.

So as you sit in your pretend apt., looking at your make-believe LSE diploma you really should sit tight. But we all know you can;t resist.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    what exactly do you mean? "You'll see"?

This means that, come November, she will become the president, and in the course of the next four years we'll all be able see whether I was right or wrong.
    I'm checking out now. :)
    I agree completely @Superintendent, and said as much in mid June on this thread.

Huh? That's a lie. I refer everyone to the 2nd post of this long thread where you said:

My money is on Trump or Sanders.

Possibly you should stay in the imaginary apt. or was it a condo and get your stories straight.
    Interesting that you went back to the 2nd post, when we were still in the primary stages, to make your point. As far as I can see, Trump is the nominee, isn't he, or are you one of the Never Trumpites?

Moreover, my quote above says 'if she wins': a point that has obviously been missed by you during your attempts to be disparaging.

Insults here, selective posts to make your point, abusive photo posts there. Hmm.

Much like Trump, you just throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks. ( I say the sun will rise in the east, but it could rise in the north, even though it has never done that before.) And like Trump, you say contradictory things constantly and then deny saying it.(My money is on Sanders.) The 3 grade grammar is always laughable. You really are disingenuous.

So as you sit in your pretend apt., looking at your make-believe LSE diploma you really should sit tight. But we all know you can;t resist.
    Really, this fixation with me, my posts, and my education is getting unhealthy. What may have been considered amusing to some at the start now seems almost obsessive. Should I be worried?

Surely, you have something better to do with your time? Or perhaps not. Who really cares at this point.
    henryii_zpshibfjdh8.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Let's not pretend that murder and military action by US armed forces, when performed according to US law and duly authorized by Congress and the President are the same thing. They're not.

Of course. Moral standards only apply to you and me. The State is above such matters.
    Let's not pretend that murder and military action by US armed forces, when performed according to US law and duly authorized by Congress and the President are the same thing. They're not.

Of course. Moral standards only apply to you and me. The State is above such matters.

Morals do not apply here. "Eeets just... beeezness."
    Really, this fixation with me, my posts, and my education is getting unhealthy. What may have been considered amusing to some at the start now seems almost obsessive. Should I be worried?

Surely, you have something better to do with your time? Or perhaps not. Who really cares at this point.[/quote]

Right on cue. Slow day at Burger Doodle? Nice,

ROCKS-your-so-boring.jpg

It will be a close election but I believe there will be a 'break' for one candidate after the first debate. I don't see any surprises changing the trajectory that will be established after that first, or perhaps after the 2nd debate, no matter what is thrown out there.

Clinton has turned the general election campaign (since the Convention) into a referendum on Trump rather than a referendum on Obama. So far it's working, in no small part due to Trump's own missteps, and with media complicity. The debates give an opportunity for him to turn that around and establish himself as a credible alternative, or conversely Clinton cleans his clock and moves forward with a commanding lead and onto a win.

What we're seeing now is an 'as expected' well funded campaign to solidify opinions about Trump at an early stage of the general election so that he can't grow his base. Clinton is massively outspending him on the air and in network advertising. So far it's working according to the polls, but this could still turn on a dime because Clinton has high negatives in a lot of the polling data, and those polled may not be being truthful to the pollsters either.

He's raised a lot of money in the past few months but has spent very little of it. What he plans to do with the money and what kind of on-air campaign he intends to fight remains to be seen. I doubt it will be standard advertising fare. More likely something unusual that we should look for.

It's interesting that the 1988 Bush/Dukakis campaign was mentioned. That is the only recent one where an effective third term was granted (in this case to Bush to carry on Reagan's legacy). That was a nasty campaign, and Dukakis as 'change candidate' was butchered early (as being weak and insensitive). That playbook is in effect again (this time portraying the 'change candidate' as dangerous and insensitive), but Trump is not Dukakis and his support is more entrenched, so I am not sure if it will work.

I think this will either be a replay of 1979, where Reagan came from behind for a big surprise win after over performing against expectations in that first and only debate, or it will be a replay of 1988, where 'incumbent candidate' Bush took a lead in September and went on for the win because the alternative was seen as untenable - not because Bush was seen as great.

What do you think about my comments @BondJames?

Selective no more my dear @BondJames ;-). Like I said on page 94 the game is far from over. And these recent articles on Politico.com and TheNation.com basically enhance my worries. They give a fresh perspective on worries within the Democratic Party. So for every Hillary-supporter, please hold your breath:

Top Democrats warn against writing off Trump:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/top-democrats-warn-against-writing-off-trump-226855

Are Hillary Clinton’s Strong Poll Numbers Misleading?:
    https://www.thenation.com/article/are-hillary-clintons-strong-poll-numbers-misleading/

From now on I will try to focus my posts about, in posting some very interesting 'Pro-Donald!' articles and 'Pro Hillary!' articles.

PRO DONALD!

New Hillary Clinton Emails Suggest Aides Intervened on Behalf of Donors:

We still have to wait for a big 'October Surprise' presented by Raoul Silva.....ehh, sorry.....Julian Assange. But the conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch is delivering us the first course on a menu that's best served chilled. And this article from Time.com is indeed a worrysome. Like my previous post on page 94, this article gives you some insight in the Clinton Foundation and its SPECTRE-esque tentacles:
    http://time.com/4446418/hillary-clinton-emails-donors/

An October Surprise For Hillary Clinton:

In case you really believe in the Bond film 'Skyfall' turned into reality, then this could do it. An 'October Surprise' really is on its way. As we know already, WikiLeaks did some serious damage with regard to the Democratic National Committee (pro-Russian hacker Guccifer 2.0). Chairman Wasserman-Schultz had to step down. And ad-interim chair Donna Brazile is still busy cleaning the mess. Julian Assange already hinted that next in line of damaging leaks could be Hillary Clinton herself. From PoliticalWire.com:
    https://politicalwire.com/2016/08/09/an-october-surprise-for-hillary-clinton/.

Make no mistake, @BondJames several times said that all these hacks and leaks are only sidetracks. But I think they could become damaging if new leaks give away some dirty information about one of the Clinton Foundation's 'bundlers' (people, and even foreign nations contributing $10.000,- or more). If one of these 'bundlers' have actively funded some efforts to get co-founder Hillary Clinton elected as US-Senator or...President, then that's damaging. Make no mistake, I hate men like Julian Assange, and I think for that reason he should hack Trump's tax returns. He might even imply that a former DNC-employee turned into a WikiLeaks informant and was killed for it. But fact is, the Democrats were hacked, and they should be serious about this.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Gustav_Graves, my views on your links and posts are as follows, since you asked:

re: the email leaks - I think people know Clinton blew it. Some will forgive her, and others won't. If you didn't like Clinton before, this just reinforces the perceptions. I don't really think that new leaks towards the end of the campaign will change anything because by that time people likely will be completely turned off by the negative stuff. There's already an overload, come to think of it, and we have 3 months still left to go.

The same goes for negative stories about Trump. They won't turn the needle for many voters at this point. The only thing, as I've said before, that can hurt Trump at this point is something he himself says. Not stories about his past. Moreover, he has craftily shifted the focus on the media in the past week, and I think they may have overplayed their hand with the constant negative stories about him since the Convention (at least in terms of how 'undecided voters' view it). Shot their wad a bit early perhaps. After all, he's already been portrayed as a national security risk and a Manchurian Putin advocate. How much worse can it get at this point? An alien?

Views have calcified on both sides and further revelations aren't really going to change things imho.

I do believe that there is a component of the public who aren't being truthful to the pollsters. That probably will benefit Trump, but I'm not sure how 'material' that element is though.

Ultimately, I think this election will be won based on turnout. So the 'enthusiasm' element will be critical. Normally one turns out one's voters by giving them a positive reason to be passionate to vote.

Hardcore Trump supporters are definitely a very passionate group (just like hardcore Berners). He also has the evangelicals from what I see. What he needs to do still is turn around the rank and file conservative Republicans (those who aren't dead set against him). Can he? Well he started on that path with his Economic Speech earlier this week, which has elements of the Ryan plan combined with Trump anti-Trade elements. Will that be enough? I don't know. If some rank and file start to support him later in the campaign (Kasich hasn't 100% ruled it out) then that could help in a swing state like Ohio.

The Democrats have a clear demographic advantage, but with Hillary, I'm just not sure whether the 'enthusiasm' exists. Primarily, I see her campaign as a 'don't vote for Trump, he's too dangerous!' operation combined with 'let's keep going in the current direction'. Will that be enough to produce massive turnout? I'm not sure. Having said that, she doesn't need as much passion and has more margin for error since the demographic advantage could still produce a positive result with mediocre 'left leaning' turnout.

The debates will be critical. The undecided voters (who are the only ones that count from now on) will want to see these candidates in an unfiltered setting without media manipulation, and then they will finally make their minds up. Trump has to pass the 'commander in chief', 'safe change alternative' & 'knowledgeable' tests, and Clinton has to pass the 'likability' and 'trustworthy' tests.

This is a 'change election'. Trump is unquestionably now the 'change candidate'. The media pile-on over the past few weeks has only served to confirm that, as did the 50 foreign policy establishment folks who wrote the open letter & some of the Republicans who've come out against him (Romney, Bush - both yesterday's news and men). In a way, they've done his marketing for him. 'Straight Talk Express' McCain is still a supporter, as is 'Clean Cut Budget Boy' Ryan, and they are more valuable from a marketing standpoint than 50 Bushes or Romneys imho. The only question is whether he is 'acceptable change'.

So the key elements are the debate performances and then the turnout operations and 'voter passion'.

From my understanding, that 'undecided' element is large enough to win this election for one candidate and they may break decisively in one direction post-debate.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,190
    This is a 'change election'. Trump is unquestionably now the 'change candidate'. The media pile-on over the past few weeks has only served to confirm that, as did the 50 foreign policy establishment folks who wrote the open letter & some of the Republicans who've come out against him (Romney, Bush - both yesterday's news and men). In a way, they've done his marketing for him. 'Straight Talk Express' McCain is still a supporter, as is 'Clean Cut Budget Boy' Ryan, and they are more valuable electorally than 50 Bushes or Romneys imho. The only question is whether he is 'acceptable change'.

Woah! =D>
    Voter turn-out is definitely critical. This year, more than nearly any other year.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Re what Trump keeps reiterating about the Iraq War - I am sharing this in particular simply because Trump cannot seem to keep talking about it. It comes up in pretty much every talk he gives recently.

This discussion has been closed.