No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Leave Blofeld in prison, have Bond off with Madeline and then have her father's past come back to haunt them with some new, great, well written character and story.

Or ignore all of it and project Bond a few years into the future like SF, and do whatever you want...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Leave Blofeld in prison
    Agreed on this bit. For another 30+ yrs as far as I'm concerned.
  • GagReathleGagReathle France
    Risico007 wrote: »
    As soon as they got the rights to Spectre I felt it should be an orgnization to be introduced in Bond #7's first film. But sadly that isn't what happened...

That would have been great... As you said, Oberhauser at the head of quantum would have been simple and yet it would have make sense.

I hope with Bond #7 we will have good directions and a clearer vision of what the Bond series will become.
    But until that, I still hope they will be able to make a proper final film with Craig. Obviously Blofeld was meant to return when they've written Spectre, so I would like to see that and hope they'll make it great.
    Yeah, yeah... some things still won't make sense, but if they focus on what's essential, we wouldn't care if Blofeld "miraculously escape", we'll just enjoy the movie.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    IMO the way they ended SP they could continue the story for fans of SP or start fresh. That might work best for a new Bond, but could with Craig too. Moore's Bond had a soft reboot in some ways with FYEO and that worked.

And regarding Hardy, forget age or roles just read what the guy himself said about Bond. If offered he would take it. Now EoN may weigh the age and roles particularly the other roles but Hardy himself I think would accept the role.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    writer5150 wrote: »
    Has there been any kind of official report on doing a faithful version of YOLT? I see it surface quite often on this thread in fairly definitive terms. Or is this just a wishlist item by a fan(s)? (Kind of like that whole Arctic Monkey thing that appeared in almost every other response for nearly a year before SP?)

It seems like the most logical thing to do.

SPECTRE homaged OHMSS in several ways, and it seems to me the natural choice to have Blofeld kill Madeleine at the beginning of Bond 25 leading to some sort of YOLT adaptation

More like the most obvious, hackneyed thing to do.

Admittedly I'm struggling to think of another logical way out but having Blofeld killing Madeline is veering into remake/pastiche territory.

Like the DB5 we've just seen it too many times before.
    I agree, they can't go there in my view. Given Bourne Supremacy (which I recently watched) and CR/QoS itself, this thing has been done to death.

Moreover, they didn't do a good enough job of establishing that relationship to begin with in SP. It all seemed like a convenience/contrivance for him to get the hell out of the service (if he in fact did that). So they're 'f'd' with this storyline imho

Absolutely. If they kill Madeline off and then have Bond go through the full on depression/revenge cycle of the YOLT novel it won't be very credible given Madeline isn't on a par with Vesper. Also we've already seen Craig's Bond out for revenge so it's repeating something they did just a few films ago.

They totally dropped the ball using SPECTRE. They just couldn't wait and drip feed it and have Oberhauser as the villain and Ernst pulling the strings, they had to go from never having heard of the organisation to Blofeld nicked all in one film. And given it looks very unlikely Dan will do more than one more they've got to wrap it all up in one film.

I suppose maybe they could do another 2.5 hour epic and make the first act about Bond and Madeline and get us to buy into the relationship which we didn't do in SP. Cut back and forth between that and Blofeld escaping (introducing Irma Bunt). Kill Maddie after 45 mins and then you've still got 1h 45 for Bond to track down Blofeld.

Have a similar structure to OHMSS with a slow, romantic start and then a barnstorming, action heavy 2nd half. I'd be inclined to forget Kissy altogether (can't have Bond entering into another relationship after Madeline gets the chop) and Irma escapes. Final image is an amnesiac Bond wandering around somewhere and SPECTRE goons pick him up and drive off with him. As there's no real equivalent of the Soviets these days it's SPECTRE, under Irma's leadership, who will have to do the brainwashing and then we get the M assassination attempt with a new actor for the PTS of B26.

Best I can do off the top of my head if they decide they have to go down this route.

I like your idea, but I would split it into 2 films

I agree but the whole point is to finish off Dan's tenure. Can we really see him doing two more? Don't think so. In that case you have to wrap it all up in one film

Of course if we get a new actor then you can take your time. But if we get a new actor do you don't need to bring Madeline back. This idea is only if Dan continues as I don't see how, after going to great pains to link the while Craig era together, they can just sweep the whole Maddie/Blofeld thing under the carpet and give us a standalone film.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    An adaptation of YOLT would work, but they would have to do something clever with it to avoid cliche/remake territory - a bit like the way that the Sherlock writers have ingeniously used their source material.

That would be nice. But do we have any faith in EON hiring writers of that calibre?

They would film it all in one shot. Instead of having one long close to 3 hour movies they would split it up. 2018 2019

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Walecs wrote: »
    Has there been any kind of official report on doing a faithful version of YOLT? I see it surface quite often on this thread in fairly definitive terms. Or is this just a wishlist item by a fan(s)? (Kind of like that whole Arctic Monkey thing that appeared in almost every other response for nearly a year before SP?)

It seems like the most logical thing to do.

SPECTRE homaged OHMSS in several ways, and it seems to me the natural choice to have Blofeld kill Madeleine at the beginning of Bond 25 leading to some sort of YOLT adaptation

More like the most obvious, hackneyed thing to do.

Admittedly I'm struggling to think of another logical way out but having Blofeld killing Madeline is veering into remake/pastiche territory.

Like the DB5 we've just seen it too many times before.
    I agree, they can't go there in my view. Given Bourne Supremacy (which I recently watched) and CR/QoS itself, this thing has been done to death.

Moreover, they didn't do a good enough job of establishing that relationship to begin with in SP. It all seemed like a convenience/contrivance for him to get the hell out of the service (if he in fact did that). So they're 'f'd' with this storyline imho

Absolutely. If they kill Madeline off and then have Bond go through the full on depression/revenge cycle of the YOLT novel it won't be very credible given Madeline isn't on a par with Vesper. Also we've already seen Craig's Bond out for revenge so it's repeating something they did just a few films ago.

They totally dropped the ball using SPECTRE. They just couldn't wait and drip feed it and have Oberhauser as the villain and Ernst pulling the strings, they had to go from never having heard of the organisation to Blofeld nicked all in one film. And given it looks very unlikely Dan will do more than one more they've got to wrap it all up in one film.

I suppose maybe they could do another 2.5 hour epic and make the first act about Bond and Madeline and get us to buy into the relationship which we didn't do in SP. Cut back and forth between that and Blofeld escaping (introducing Irma Bunt). Kill Maddie after 45 mins and then you've still got 1h 45 for Bond to track down Blofeld.

Have a similar structure to OHMSS with a slow, romantic start and then a barnstorming, action heavy 2nd half. I'd be inclined to forget Kissy altogether (can't have Bond entering into another relationship after Madeline gets the chop) and Irma escapes. Final image is an amnesiac Bond wandering around somewhere and SPECTRE goons pick him up and drive off with him. As there's no real equivalent of the Soviets these days it's SPECTRE, under Irma's leadership, who will have to do the brainwashing and then we get the M assassination attempt with a new actor for the PTS of B26.

Best I can do off the top of my head if they decide they have to go down this route.

I like your idea, but I would split it into 2 films

I agree but the whole point is to finish off Dan's tenure. Can we really see him doing two more? Don't think so. In that case you have to wrap it all up in one film

Of course if we get a new actor then you can take your time. But if we get a new actor do you don't need to bring Madeline back. This idea is only if Dan continues as I don't see how, after going to great pains to link the while Craig era together, they can just sweep the whole Maddie/Blofeld thing under the carpet and give us a standalone film.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    An adaptation of YOLT would work, but they would have to do something clever with it to avoid cliche/remake territory - a bit like the way that the Sherlock writers have ingeniously used their source material.

That would be nice. But do we have any faith in EON hiring writers of that calibre?

They would film it all in one shot. Instead of having one long close to 3 hour movies they would split it up. 2018 2019

Works for me.
    From what Dan has said previously seems unlikely he would agree to shoot two films back to back but that's the only way we're going to get two from him now.
    UK Tabloids: Margot Robbie 'tipped to be new Bond girl'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3710290/Margot-Robbie-tipped-Bond-girl.html
    0696F85900000514-0-image-m-3_1469605937280.jpg
    This isn't strictly speaking 'news', but Robbie would be terrific casting. She wouldn't quite make sense with the older Craig but she'd be a perfect fit for a younger Bond.

In other news, Jack Huston remains the favourite to be the new 007.
    http://www.oddschecker.com/novelty/james-bond/next-james-bond
    jack-huston-for-tods-fall-winter-2016-1.jpg

Not really too much of a known-entity, but I quite like the idea.

Though I have warmed to Hiddleston since seeing High-Rise
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A man with a "Man bag" can't be Bond ! :))
    I like the idea of Maggie as a Bond girl regardless of who is bond as she is very very hot
    Just reviewing this thread, the lack of planning concerning where the franchise goes after Spectre seems to be as big as Cameron's lack of planning re Brexit. But, Bond, unlike Cameron, cant resign. Surely, we need a new start?
    I was one of those dopes that insisted Craig couldn't pull off the role. CR shut me up big time. And I have become a Craig fan. But for many of the reasons this thread has unveiled, it would probably be best for the property if Daniel Craig didn't return. There is no need to "fix" the many problems that have been surfaced over the past (I say three) movies. We've seen decades of films where Bond goes off into the sunset with the girl just as Craig did with Madeline, only to return for the next film, refreshed. And we have Blofeld to return to in due time. Fleming was brilliant with the character he created but that doesn't mean a first-class original story can't be developed. It just can't be developed the way (and with the writers) that Eon has used recently. Let's bring in new blood, next mission and an elevated sense of excitement. (And maybe bring back a little more of the fun back too)

Craig's contributions -- notably in CR -- will long be at the top of the Bond hitlist. And that's only right. But where we've left him in SP, I'd really like to see him continue driving away, toward the horizon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Craig's contributions -- notably in CR -- will long be at the top of the Bond hitlist. And that's only right. But where we've left him in SP, I'd really like to see him continue driving away, toward the horizon.
    I have to agree with this, regrettably.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    That's the beauty of the stand alone approach used in the past; when something didn't work they could just reset and start again

That's exactly why I think that DAD, the absolute worst film in the series, didn't cause much damage. On the contrary, it made them reset and deliver one of the best Bond films.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Although I'd like DC to go out on a high I think the best move is to reset and have a new Bond introduced as being in the field with a few missions under his belt, not a veteran but experienced and go from there, no back story, no digging into his past just get on with it.

Tease the shadow of SPECTRE then a few films down the line or more then introduce Blofeld, not necessarily to Bond but the audience and go from there, similar to how he was introduced in the SC era with one SP unrelated adventure in there like GF to break things up.

As much as I dislike the return of SPECTRE and Blofeld (especially with this ridiculous connection to Bond's childhood), it might be better to finish him off once and for all with one more film with Craig, than to have him return again in 10-15 years' time. Recycling old villains is not what I want to see again.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Leave Blofeld in prison
    Agreed on this bit. For another 30+ yrs as far as I'm concerned.

Forever, if you ask me.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

.. ...
    I have to agree with this, regrettably.

Craigxit
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Surprised to see Emma Watson on that list ... though I suppose we are rapidly approaching the era when Harry Potters kids will start appearing in Bond films.

Nevil Longbottom as Ian Fleming's James Bond, anyone?
    Im calling it now Daniel Radcliffe will be a Bond villain at some point
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Im calling it now Daniel Radcliffe will be a Bond villain at some point
    A Bond villain who will use illusions and slight of hand to escape from 007.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    what a wizard Idea ! ;)
    Margot Robbie and Jack Huston both have movies that are opening in the next couple of weeks so pretty sure there's nothing to see here.
  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    Margot Robbie and Jack Huston both have movies that are opening in the next couple of weeks so pretty sure there's nothing to see here.

Haha, right. Dianne Wiest is opening a new film soon. Dianne Wiest for next Bond girl anyone?
    Haha, right. Dianne Wiest is opening a new film soon. Dianne Wiest for next Bond girl anyone?

Not for a Bond girl. The media will have her as the odds on favorite to be Bond by the time her new film opens.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    dalton wrote: »

Not for a Bond girl. The media will have her as the odds on favorite to be Bond by the time her new film opens.

Dammit, my bookie pals assured me that Gillian Anderson was guaranteed as the next Bond!
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,844

Now I'm just picturing Dianne Wiest smiling over the counter at the barman with her twinkling, squinting eyes saying, "I'll have a vodka martini please—oh, shaken not stirred if you don't mind—and if you could add a thin slice of lemon peel that would really just make my day complete."
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    As far as I'm concerned the Blofeld/Quantum/Spectre aspect is done. No sense in continuing it, that's if Craig comes back. Obviously it wouldn't continue with a new actor. If Craig does come back for one more, make it one last standalone. They can address Blofeld and Madeline in passing, but don't make another story surrounding them.
  • GagReathleGagReathle France
    Damn, I would love to see Gillian Anderson as a Bond villain. Or as the next M, maybe?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 17,291
    GagReathle wrote: »
    Damn, I would love to see Gillian Anderson as a Bond villain. Or as the next M, maybe?

She'd be a great villain, and if they do a reboot sometime in the future, I wouldn't mind seeing here as M!
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Now I'm just picturing Dianne Wiest smiling over the counter at the barman with her twinkling, squinting eyes saying, "I'll have a vodka martini please—oh, shaken not stirred if you don't mind—and if you could add a thin slice of lemon peel that would really just make my day complete."

Give me Dianne Wiest over most of the cast of Spectre. At least she'd do something interesting...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    We've had almost two decades of a female M, that needs a rest.

Why?