Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Aiden Turner is a far better actor than Cavill, I think Turner would make a
    great 007.

After watching Poldark, I disagree.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    And I agree with you disagreeing ;) in tone if not in validation.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 5,131
    A screen test (if it happens) could well prove me wrong.

Onto past considerations - What do members think of Cary Grant (although he was too old really when DN was being cast and his accent is mid atlantic)? He looks likes Fleming's Bond, he is suave and good looking, has screen presence/ star quality and is English.
    We're all in the dark, I just wish EON would announce someone. :((
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Onto past considerations - What do members think of Cary Grant (although he was too old really when DN was being cast and his accent is mid atlantic)? He looks likes Fleming's Bond, he is suave and good looking, has screen presence/ star quality and is English.
    Grant was a god as far as I'm concerned.

Charade (at age 59) , North By Northwest (at age 55) and To Catch A Thief (at age 51) show how superb he could have been as Bond.

Sadly, as you note, he was probably too old for the role when it came along, as he correctly surmised (reportedly he only wanted to do one).
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Agreed, it is a damning indictment of Martin Campbell's judgement that he wanted a 22 year old Cavill instead of Craig. But in his defense, Sam Mendes (upon hearing of the casting) thought Daniel wasn't Bond (prior to watching CR). But I still like Cavill, but not as a Bond, given that there are better choices out there (i.e. Hiddleston).

I don't trust Mendes's judgement either! Most of his casting choices have been pretty vanilla IMO.

Only Ben Whishaw has worked out better than I expected.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Getafix wrote: »
    Agreed, it is a damning indictment of Martin Campbell's judgement that he wanted a 22 year old Cavill instead of Craig. But in his defense, Sam Mendes (upon hearing of the casting) thought Daniel wasn't Bond (prior to watching CR). But I still like Cavill, but not as a Bond, given that there are better choices out there (i.e. Hiddleston).

I don't trust Mendes's judgement either!

Hey?!

I don't trust Mendes's judgement either! Most of his casting choices have been pretty vanilla IMO.

Martin Campbell in contrast knows how to pick the female leads. A superior eye imho. He should be brought on as a consultant for that important decision alone.
    bondjames wrote: »

Martin Campbell in contrast knows how to pick the female leads. A superior eye imho. He should be brought on as a consultant for that important decision alone.

Eva Greene was a master stroke. One of the best casting decisions in the series.
    She can stroke me anytime she wants ..... I'll get my coat. ;)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Eva Greene was a master stroke. One of the best casting decisions in the series.

Campbell has cast two of the most important modern day Bond girls: Eva Green as Vesper and Famke Janssen as Xenia Onnatop.

Yes Martin should at least comeback as a casting consultant he also brought two of the best actors to play modern villains. Mads Mikelsen as Le Chiffre and Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames, @doubleoego, @Creasy47 isn't it something how all the main girls in Campbell's 2 films have aged amazingly? Eva Green hasn't aged a day in the last 10 years, Izabella Scorrupco looks just as sexy in 2015 than she did in 1995, Caterina Murino still looks extremely sexyful 10 years on, and the best of all: Famke Janssen actually looks sexier in 'Taken 3' in 2015 than she did in GE 20 years prior.
    I'm with you @DaltonCraig007. They have all aged nicely and moreover, they all had sort of breakout English speaking roles due to him. This is why they have to get him back now to lend his tasteful eye to the casting decisions. We can't afford any screw ups imho.

Mendes tried, and did a reasonable enough job, but Campbell has shown he is the master at picking them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mendes picked some good Bond girls; the problem was how quick he was to dispense of them. The only Bond girl in his two movies that sticks around for long enough is Swann, and she's rather generic to me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @bondjames, @doubleoego, @Creasy47 isn't it something how all the main girls in Campbell's 2 films have aged amazingly? Eva Green hasn't aged a day in the last 10 years, Izabella Scorrupco looks just as sexy in 2015 than she did in 1995, Caterina Murino still looks extremely sexyful 10 years on, and the best of all: Famke Janssen actually looks sexier in 'Taken 3' in 2015 than she did in GE 20 years prior.

It really is something. I think even though she's still hot, Famke is showing her age a bit but Eva, Caterina and Scorrupco still look in their prime, with Scorrupco shockingly moreso. Extremely beautiful ladies.
    Seydoux's casting fell flat. Uninspired choice and followed the QoS template of using an actress who'd already recently appeared in a Bond knock off franchise. Bond should be leading the pack and not following.

Zero chemistry between Craig and Seydoux as well. Totally unconvincing love match. I enjoyed Spectre but this is just one of its numerous failings. Glad Mendes is not returning as IMO he Largely squandered the opportunity presented by CR and QOS which had set things up very nicely and in a totally fresh wAy.
    I disagree Seydoux was an inspired choice. So she played in one of the MI movie but it was hardly Emma Peel. And the chemistry was fine. Who wouldn't have chemistry with her anyway?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I disagree Seydoux was an inspired choice. So she played in one of the MI movie but it was hardly Emma Peel. And the chemistry was fine. Who wouldn't have chemistry with her anyway?

Seydoux is top 5 Bond girl in terms of attractiveness.
    Seydoux looked like she could have been Craig's daughter, so a terrible choice IMO. A sloppily written, rushed, unconvincing romance as well, which naturally didn't help matters, either.
    She's undoubtedly very attractive, but something did fall flat for me in SP between Craig and her. If she hadn't jumped him post-Hinx fight or done that "I love you" thing during the torture scene I wouldn't have felt that their relationship was anything but platonic. There just didn't seem to be much of a connection or spark. I suspect that's why those two scenes were thrown in, to be honest.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Seydoux looked like she could have been Craig's daughter, so a terrible choice IMO. A sloppily written, rushed, unconvincing romance as well, which naturally didn't help matters, either.

But I like the idea of Madeline in concept much more than Vesper. If you want to talk about sloppy, rushed, unconvincing romance, we should really be talking about CR.
    I think overall the chemistry between Craig and his Bond girls was really good, even with Fields when it was obviously ridiculously rushed. Something to do with the quality of the actresses and Craig himself?

As for Seydoux, a block of wood would have enough chemistry with her to catch fire!
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I'm with you @DaltonCraig007. They have all aged nicely and moreover, they all had sort of breakout English speaking roles due to him. This is why they have to get him back now to lend his tasteful eye to the casting decisions. We can't afford any screw ups imho.

Mendes tried, and did a reasonable enough job, but Campbell has shown he is the master at picking them.

And outside of Bond Catherine Zeta Jones. She is still as beautiful as she was in the mask of Zorro. Antway rumor has it Izabella Scourpco was considered to play Elena and she said no.

Seydoux herself was fine. For me she was one of the only tolerable things about SP.

The character and the romance, on the other hand, were poorly written and rushed, but I thought Seydoux got both the character and the romance closer to what they needed to be than what was actually on the page.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 12,837
    Another past candidate: Colin Farrell? I always thought that when he tidied himself up (eg- In Bruges, the terrible Total Recall remake rather than say his True Detective role) he had the perfect look for it. Fairly young but looks a lot more rugged than a lot of actors today (I think the issue with a lot of suggested candidates is they're just too fresh faced). I'm not sure how old he is but I'd even say he could do it now if they wanted to go for a more famous, out of left field choice. I remember Pierce said he'd be his pick to succeed him around the time of DAD, and I definitely think he could've been great as the rookie Bond in CR.

Also I agree that the age difference between Seydoux and Craig was definitely noticeable. It really highlighted how much Craig has aged (the four year gap between QoS and SF, and then his buzzcut in the aforementioned film, didn't help this either imo). But I think that was a good thing, because helped sell the idea of a Bond nearing retirement and also it made sense she would be fairly young since Mr White isn't ancient himself. I was happy with it and the romance (notice how Bond never says he loves her back? Because he doesn't, she's infatuated with him, probably because of her daddy issues, while he sees her as the perfect way out because she's someone who actually understands what she's been through, it wasn't meant to be a love story on par with Vesper or Tracy).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Also I agree that the age difference between Seydoux and Craig was definitely noticeable. It really highlighted how much Craig has aged (the four year gap between QoS and SF, and then his buzzcut in the aforementioned film, didn't help this either imo). But I think that was a good thing, because helped sell the idea of a Bond nearing retirement and also it made sense she would be fairly young since Mr White isn't ancient himself. I was happy with it and the romance (notice how Bond never says he loves her back? Because he doesn't, she's infatuated with him, probably because of her daddy issues, while he sees her as the perfect way out because she's someone who actually understands what she's been through, it wasn't meant to be a love story on par with Vesper or Tracy).
    Perfectly written. And makes sense!
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Mendes picked some good Bond girls; the problem was how quick he was to dispense of them.

Agree with this. As cool as the whole Rome sequence was (it's probably my favourite sequence of events in any Bond film, every scene just oozed Bond, it had almost everything I love about the franchise) Belluci was sort of wasted. Would have been much better used if they'd picked her for Paris in TND like Pierce wanted. And Severine is one of, if not my favourite Bond girls. I really wish she had more to do in SF. Actually, while that was one of the longer Bond films, I think it's also one of the few that could benefit from an extended edition, as a lot of the cut material seemed interesting (more scenes of Bond struggling to readjust, like the bit from the trailer where he's jogging, and the main thing: more of Severine).

Also

http://cdn.chud.com/e/e6/461x1000px-LL-e640110b_london_boulevard_2_nosologeeks.jpeg

https://fandangogroovers.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/colin-farrell-james-bond.jpg

http://tvfilmnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/colin-farrell-quaid-total-recall.jpg

http://cdn.skim.gs/image/upload/v1456338757/msi/colin-farrell-total-recall-vert_dyq3px.jpg

Some shots showing what I mean about Colin Farrell. I think the only
    potential issue would have been if he could do the accent or not. Just googled it and he's 40 now (and too famous) so definitely a past pick, but he would have been a good alternative to Craig imo.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,601

You forget, that a man like Bond will always find women of ALL ages attracted to him, never mind how old HE is. He is a rare species and he has everything a woman goes for - any woman, who is looking for a man, not a puppy anyway - age is not important in a man like Bond. So, they could go on giving DC women much younger and it still would make sense. For every actor, who portays the character convincingly.
    I think having Moore or Connery back at this stage would be pushing it though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    When did I say that, @GermanLady? ;)