No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    writer5150 wrote: »
    Kind of like that whole Arctic Monkey thing that appeared in almost every other response for nearly a year before SP?
    Damn shame they didn't take the bait on that. Oh well.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Has there been any kind of official report on doing a faithful version of YOLT? I see it surface quite often on this thread in fairly definitive terms. Or is this just a wishlist item by a fan(s)? (Kind of like that whole Arctic Monkey thing that appeared in almost every other response for nearly a year before SP?)

It seems like the most logical thing to do.

SPECTRE homaged OHMSS in several ways, and it seems to me the natural choice to have Blofeld kill Madeleine at the beginning of Bond 25 leading to some sort of YOLT adaptation
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Walecs wrote: »
    Has there been any kind of official report on doing a faithful version of YOLT? I see it surface quite often on this thread in fairly definitive terms. Or is this just a wishlist item by a fan(s)? (Kind of like that whole Arctic Monkey thing that appeared in almost every other response for nearly a year before SP?)

SPECTRE homaged OHMSS in several ways, and it seems to me the natural choice to have Blofeld kill Madeleine at the beginning of Bond 25 leading to some sort of YOLT adaptation

More like the most obvious, hackneyed thing to do.

Admittedly I'm struggling to think of another logical way out but having Blofeld killing Madeline is veering into remake/pastiche territory.

Like the DB5 we've just seen it too many times before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883

Admittedly I'm struggling to think of another logical way out but having Blofeld killing Madeline is veering into remake/pastiche territory.

I agree, they can't go there in my view. Given Bourne Supremacy (which I recently watched) and CR/QoS itself, this thing has been done to death.

Moreover, they didn't do a good enough job of establishing that relationship to begin with in SP. It all seemed like a convenience/contrivance for him to get the hell out of the service (if he in fact did that). So they're 'f'd' with this storyline imho
    I think they could pull off the YOLT storyline, but they'd have to be careful about it. I don't think that they could handle it by simply having Blofeld, Hinx, or some of his lackeys show up and kill her. They'd have to get extremely creative with how they dispatch her and set that storyline into motion.

That said, I'm not entirely sure that I want them to go that route. The writing has been so poor in the franchise as of late that I hesitate to think about how they'd go about botching YOLT, given that the people who thought making Blofeld and Bond semi-related would be a good idea will probably be the ones in charge of writing it.
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree, they can't go there in my view. Given Bourne Supremacy (which I recently watched) and CR/QoS itself, this thing has been done to death.

Moreover, they didn't do a good enough job of establishing that relationship to begin with in SP. It all seemed like a convenience/contrivance for him to get the hell out of the service (if he in fact did that). So they're 'f'd' with this storyline imho

Absolutely. If they kill Madeline off and then have Bond go through the full on depression/revenge cycle of the YOLT novel it won't be very credible given Madeline isn't on a par with Vesper. Also we've already seen Craig's Bond out for revenge so it's repeating something they did just a few films ago.

They totally dropped the ball using SPECTRE. They just couldn't wait and drip feed it and have Oberhauser as the villain and Ernst pulling the strings, they had to go from never having heard of the organisation to Blofeld nicked all in one film. And given it looks very unlikely Dan will do more than one more they've got to wrap it all up in one film.

I suppose maybe they could do another 2.5 hour epic and make the first act about Bond and Madeline and get us to buy into the relationship which we didn't do in SP. Cut back and forth between that and Blofeld escaping (introducing Irma Bunt). Kill Maddie after 45 mins and then you've still got 1h 45 for Bond to track down Blofeld.

Have a similar structure to OHMSS with a slow, romantic start and then a barnstorming, action heavy 2nd half. I'd be inclined to forget Kissy altogether (can't have Bond entering into another relationship after Madeline gets the chop) and Irma escapes. Final image is an amnesiac Bond wandering around somewhere and SPECTRE goons pick him up and drive off with him. As there's no real equivalent of the Soviets these days it's SPECTRE, under Irma's leadership, who will have to do the brainwashing and then we get the M assassination attempt with a new actor for the PTS of B26.

Best I can do off the top of my head if they decide they have to go down this route.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Absolutely. If they kill Madeline off and then have Bond go through the full on depression/revenge cycle of the YOLT novel it won't be very credible given Madeline isn't on a par with Vesper. Also we've already seen Craig's Bond out for revenge so it's repeating something they did just a few films ago.

They totally dropped the ball using SPECTRE. They just couldn't wait and drip feed it and have Oberhauser as the villain and Ernst pulling the strings, they had to go from never having heard of the organisation to Blofeld nicked all in one film. And given it looks very unlikely Dan will do more than one more they've got to wrap it all up in one film.

I suppose maybe they could do another 2.5 hour epic and make the first act about Bond and Madeline and get us to buy into the relationship which we didn't do in SP. Cut back and forth between that and Blofeld escaping (introducing Irma Bunt). Kill Maddie after 45 mins and then you've still got 1h 45 for Bond to track down Blofeld.

Have a similar structure to OHMSS with a slow, romantic start and then a barnstorming, action heavy 2nd half. I'd be inclined to forget Kissy altogether (can't have Bond entering into another relationship after Madeline gets the chop) and Irma escapes. Final image is an amnesiac Bond wandering around somewhere and SPECTRE goons pick him up and drive off with him. As there's no real equivalent of the Soviets these days it's SPECTRE, under Irma's leadership, who will have to do the brainwashing and then we get the M assassination attempt with a new actor for the PTS of B26.

Best I can do off the top of my head if they decide they have to go down this route.

Your idea sounds alot like mission impossible 3. I love that film, go for it!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wonder if he's going to be the villain, again. Brosnan, that is.

I like your idea, but I would split it into 2 films
    An adaptation of YOLT would work, but they would have to do something clever with it to avoid cliche/remake territory - a bit like the way that the Sherlock writers have ingeniously used their source material.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I agree but the whole point is to finish off Dan's tenure. Can we really see him doing two more? Don't think so. In that case you have to wrap it all up in one film.

Of course if we get a new actor then you can take your time. But if we get a new actor do you don't need to bring Madeline back. This idea is only if Dan continues as I don't see how, after going to great pains to link the while Craig era together, they can just sweep the whole Maddie/Blofeld thing under the carpet and give us a standalone film.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    An adaptation of YOLT would work, but they would have to do something clever with it to avoid cliche/remake territory - a bit like the way that the Sherlock writers have ingeniously used their source material.

That would be nice. But do we have any faith in EON hiring writers of that calibre?
    Think what Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat could do for Bond! If they can make a contemporary Sherlock Holmes work, they could just as easy make a great Bond film.
  • fjdinardo wrote: »

I agree but the whole point is to finish off Dan's tenure. Can we really see him doing two more? Don't think so. In that case you have to wrap it all up in one film.

Of course if we get a new actor then you can take your time. But if we get a new actor do you don't need to bring Madeline back. This idea is only if Dan continues as I don't see how, after going to great pains to link the while Craig era together, they can just sweep the whole Maddie/Blofeld thing under the carpet and give us a standalone film.

That would be nice. But do we have any faith in EON hiring writers of that calibre?

If Craig returns it absolutely will not be a standalone film. It will pit his Bond against Blofeld again (most certainly played by Christoph Waltz again, who I believe said he would only consider returning if Craig did). That's why Craig's final film (assuming it wasn't the last one) must be a modernized yet faithful YOLT adaptation. It's either that or a completely uninspired, mind-numbingly plothole-filled "original" story comprised mostly of tired homages to the past 50 years of James Bond. Take your pick, EON.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

If Craig returns it absolutely will not be a standalone film. It will pit his Bond against Blofeld again (most certainly played by Christoph Waltz again, who I believe said he would only consider returning if Craig did). That's why Craig's final film (assuming it wasn't the last one) must be a modernized yet faithful YOLT adaptation. It's either that or a completely uninspired, mind-numbingly plothole-filled "original" story comprised mostly of tired homages to the past 50 years of James Bond. Take your pick, EON.

For Christ's sake don't give them a choice! Based on the last two films they certainly opt for the latter.

• ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Margot Robbie is now a hot favourite to take a main female role in bond 25, nice choice IMHO. I'm still hoping Craig will return as Bond seems to be on a hiatus with babs apparently in no rush to do #25.
  • GagReathleGagReathle France
    edited July 2016 Posts: 38
    I really fear that they really f*cked theirself by rushing everything into "SPECTRE".
    We didn't buy anything... The relationship with Maddie, the departure of James from MI6, that brothers nonsense...
    Personally I didn't even believe in SPECTRE itself. How does the organisation work ? Why do they do exactly ? Blofeld isn't even really that biggest bad guy ever that they want us to believe in.

Maybe they will just stop right there, and give Bond another start (which is likely to happens if we go with another actor).
    But if Craig does another Bond, they can't just ignore everything they did in Spectre. Otherwise, Spectre would be one of the worst episode of the series in my opinion. Because it would just become soooooo useless and dumb.

I guesss they have to try to repair what they did wrong. They have to give us a good fight opposing Bond to Blofeld.
    They could ignore Maddie by saying that Bond just broke her heart, that Bond is living his normal life but take the job one more time because Blofeld escape prison.

I dunno. It's difficult. They really shouldn't rush everything in Spectre, it was a real mistake.

MOD - Little bit of editing to remove profanity. Please try to curb language on these forums
    Btw, just wanted to say something about the Hardy debate. I just remembered that he will be Sam Fisher in the incoming Splinter Cell adaptation, which is another famous spy. In regards to that and to other points that you made, I guess it's pretty obvious that he will never wear that suit.
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    Margot Robbie is now a hot favourite to take a main female role in bond 25, nice choice IMHO. I'm still hoping Craig will return as Bond seems to be on a hiatus with babs apparently in no rush to do #25.

On what are you basing this? I would say Suicide Squad will push her profile too high so that EON won't want to afford her. She's fit enough and a reasonable actress I suppose but more in the Tanya Roberts/Denise Richards mould than Eva Green/Lea Seydoux. I'd be distinctly underwhelmed if she was the main Bond girl in B25.
    GagReathle wrote: »
    I really fear that they really *** theirself by rushing everything into "SPECTRE".
    We didn't buy anything... The relationship with Maddie, the departure of James from MI6, that brothers nonsense...
    Personally I didn't even believe in SPECTRE itself. How does the organisation work ? Why do they do exactly ? Blofeld isn't even really that biggest bad guy ever that they want us to believe in.

Maybe they will just stop right there, and give Bond another start (which is likely to happens if we go with another actor).
    But if Craig does another Bond, they can't just ignore everything they did in Spectre. Otherwise, Spectre would be one of the worst episode of the series in my opinion. Because it would just become soooooo useless and dumb.

I guesss they have to try to repair what they did wrong. They have to give us a good fight opposing Bond to Blofeld.
    They could ignore Maddie by saying that Bond just broke her heart, that Bond is living his normal life but take the job one more time because Blofeld escape prison.

I dunno. It's difficult. They really shouldn't rush everything in Spectre, it was a real mistake.

Can't disagree with a word of that.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 12,837
    Btw, just wanted to say something about the Hardy debate. I just remembered that he will be Sam Fisher in the incoming Splinter Cell adaptation, which is another famous spy. In regards to that and to other points that you made, I guess it's pretty obvious that he will never wear that suit.

I wonder if Splinter Cell could affect Bond at all? In the same way that Bourne and (to a lesser extent) Nolan's Batman did? I know this is bought up every time there's a new spy film/franchise on the block but unlike Mission Impossible or Kingsman for instance, it's not dependant on the Bond formula at all, it's not derivative, and therefore has the potential to be a gamechanger in the same way Bourne was imo.

For those who don't know what it is, the games use the Tom Clancy brand (not sure if the man himself ever actually had anything to do with them though), and the concept is essentially a Clancy esque take on the idea of a 00 agent (in contrast to Jack Ryan which is more in line with real life agents). So the lead is a spy who goes round saving the world but he's more militaristic and so are the plots. Less tuxedos and martinis, more breaking into places clad in combat attire. Having played all the games, I think there's a lot of potential there. If Assassin's Creed turns out successful, I expect we'll be seeing Splinter Cell within the next couple of years, and if they manage to get the same level of talent they got for AC, with Hardy in front of the camera, the Bond producers could end up taking notice, especially after the divisive reaction SP got (which could make it easier for a new franchise such as Splinter Cell to swoop in and fill the Bourne trilogy spot of being compared to Bond).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Chriscoop wrote: »

Your evidence? At the moment there's no hot anything. Lets get a script first and then concern ourselves with casting. Acting roles aren't a one size fits all situation. That being said, given the right role I think Robbie would make a great Bond girl but I'd be slightly disappointed in EoN if they did cast her, just because she's too obvious a choice and it reeks of lazy stunt casting. "Lets get the hottest woman on the scene right now".
    Anyway, I doubt it'll happen.
    According to IGN, Splinter Cell was originally pitched to be a James Bond Game, but they didn't get the rights to go further, so Ubisoft took their Tom Clancy's franchise and made up a new spy, half based on Jack Ryan.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/03/ubisoft-originally-pitched-splinter-cell-as-a-james-bond-game

I guess Splinter Cell could affect Bond... but it would have to be a real hit and a good movie besides everything. Ubisoft take their time, Tom Hardy still wanna do the job, at the latest news they're building a solid script and are looking for a good director.
    The movie could hit theatres in 2018 and be a direct opposent to Bond, but I don't think Paramount want that confrontation.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I really fear that they really f*cked theirself by rushing everything into "SPECTRE".

MOD - Little bit of editing to remove profanity. Please try to curb language on these forums

I agree. They foolishly crammed so much into SP to the point, there was nothing particularly convincing about what the film was trying to present.

I'd love for Craig to come back and do a 5th but at the same time, I really want EoN to start over fresh. Completely fresh; and go in making Bond films of the foreseeable future with a clearer vision in what they want to do with the character and stories. That means if SP was the end of the Craig era, then as unfortunate as it is then so be it. SP really went out of it's way to wrap the Craig era up even if it was done poorly but there you go, the big bad is in prison and Bond leaves MI6 and drives off with his lady. The end.

Now, technically would be a great time to start over and not worry about the baggage and damage caused by SP. ultimately, the Bond movies are in desperate need of a new voice.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    True, we should be checking out the pregnancy photos of embryos, to choose
    our new Bond, so he'll be the right age when we need him. :D

Ha ha. Depends on their looks though.....e.g. Moore looked great at 45 when he appeared in LALD. Connery (still the best Bond) looked past in at 42 in DAF.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 12,837
    Seriously if people think EON aren't doing the best job of running the films then they have no idea how bad it is for the fans of the games (we're basically in limbo at the moment, after 007 Legends in 2012, which was basically the DAD of the games in terms of being the franchise lowpoint but a thousand times worse, that game was a massive critical and commercial flop and now it seems like nobody wants to touch the franchise). The fact that they passed on what would become Splinter Cell just shows that they don't have a clue. There's been the odd fluke (GE was a gamechanger obviously despite how poorly it's aged, I loved Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing was fun despite the dumb plot, it was clear they really went all out to basically make a playable Bond film with that one) but overall EON (isn't it MGW's son who oversees the non film side of things?) clearly don't have a clue when it comes to the games. Which is a crying shame because of the massive anount of potential and all the high quality products on offer. We're in pretty much a golden age, not only because graphics and everything are getting better and better, and games are getting more and more cinematic and immersive, but also because they've become a genuinely great storytelling medium. They actually have an advantage over films because of the way you can interact with the stories. And yet instead of Bond taking advantage of this, we got cheap cash grab after cheap cash grab, with only the occasional fluke, and now finally after the disgrace to the brand which was Legends (it's like they looked at Rogue Agent and the Craig era Goldeneye remake and thought "I think we can do better in terms of pissing off Bond fans and running the game franchise into the ground") we're getting nothing. And it doesn't seem like we're getting anything anytime soon. Oh my mistake, we got that terrible mobile "game" last year. Thanks EON :) The irony is that if they shopped the rights around, found a good studio who were commited to making a decent product and we got basically the Arkham of the Bond games (tbh I thought they went downhill after the first one, didn't enjoy City and didn't even finish Origins, but it's clear that there was a lot of effort and passion for the franchise from all involved) they could be raking it in. Look at how much money GTA V had made for instance. Give people a quality product and they'll buy it, especially if it has an established brand attached to it.
    Woops, deeply sorry, I didn't wanted to offend anyone.
    "Pardon my french". Well, I am french... I guess that could explain it? ^^
    Again, really sorry, I'll try to "curb my language".
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I agree. They foolishly crammed so much into SP to the point, there was nothing particularly convincing about what the film was trying to present.

I'd love for Craig to come back and do a 5th but at the same time, I really want EoN to start over fresh. Completely fresh; and go in making Bond films of the foreseeable future with a clearer vision in what they want to do with the character and stories. That means if SP was the end of the Craig era, then as unfortunate as it is then so be it. SP really went out of it's way to wrap the Craig era up even if it was done poorly but there you go, the big bad is in prison and Bond leaves MI6 and drives off with his lady. The end.

Now, technically would be a great time to start over and not worry about the baggage and damage caused by SP. ultimately, the Bond movies are in desperate need of a new voice.

I agree too. I want them to repair what they did wrong, but I am really worry about them making it worst...
    I want them to have good direction from the beginning. With the next actor, it would be the perfect time to think in advance what they want to do, and do it right!

With Craig they had plenty of good ideas, but things turned wrong with Quantum of Solace... and then again with Spectre when they tried to link everything together like it was planned from the beginning while it was pretty obvious that it was not.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Craig returning and then forgetting SPECTRE to do a standalone will look ridiculous, if he does they have to address it and the YOLT route is the only real way to do it and salvage the mess that Bond 24 left.

If Craig doesn't return then for me although it's not in the same awful category that DAD is in it certainly is the DC equivalent and sticks out like a saw thumb amongst the previous 3.

Although I'd like DC to go out on a high I think the best move is to reset and have a new Bond introduced as being in the field with a few missions under his belt, not a veteran but experienced and go from there, no back story, no digging into his past just get on with it.

Tease the shadow of SPECTRE then a few films down the line or more then introduce Blofeld, not necessarily to Bond but the audience and go from there, similar to how he was introduced in the SC era with one SP unrelated adventure in there like GF to break things up.

Tom Hughes or James Norton, If they want to go down the established route then Fassbender without a doubt. Hidds & Turner forget it and Hardy I just don't see him in the role.

Although paramount, new writers and no going back to P&W ever again.
  • @marketoo007, that Twitter account is an affiliate of the British magazine, I take it? I'm curious why they've posted their speculation on Bond 25 now as opposed to sooner, and why they seem to be in Dan's corner, when most of the world has turned their backs.

Does Empire magazine usually get good Bond scoops?
    No, Empire Cinemas is a cinema chain and is completely unrelated to Empire Magazine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Cinemas
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(film_magazine)

Empire Cinemas may be related to Empire Magazine. I mean, what can you do is to keep Daniel Craig for Bond 25 and it'll be release for 2018. There you go :-)
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Craig returning and then forgetting SPECTRE to do a standalone will look ridiculous, if he does they have to address it and the YOLT route is the only real way to do it and salvage the mess that Bond 24 left.

If Craig doesn't return then for me although it's not in the same awful category that DAD is in it certainly is the DC equivalent and sticks out like a saw thumb amongst the previous 3.

Although I'd like DC to go out on a high I think the best move is to reset and have a new Bond introduced as being in the field with a few missions under his belt, not a veteran but experienced and go from there, no back story, no digging into his past just get on with it.

Tease the shadow of SPECTRE then a few films down the line or more then introduce Blofeld, not necessarily to Bond but the audience and go from there, similar to how he was introduced in the SC era with one SP unrelated adventure in there like GF to break things up.

Tom Hughes or James Norton, If they want to go down the established route then Fassbender without a doubt. Hidds & Turner forget it and Hardy I just don't see him in the role.

Although paramount, new writers and no going back to P&W ever again.

I think you might be correct. I struggle to see a good way out of the mess they have created with SP without it being horribly contrived (kill off Maddie, have Blofeld miraculously escape etc).

If DC is not that bothered about coming back it might be better just to let him go to enable us to start from scratch.

Begging DC back and then trying to cobble together another script tying everything up could just make things worse.

That's the beauty of the stand alone approach used in the past; when something didn't work they could just reset and start again but with the Craig era they've now gone on all in on everything being connected and interlinked and, assuming Dan comes back, ignoring what went before for will look just as stupid as convolutedly tying up all the loose ends.

It's one hell of a clusterf**k. No wonder they're in no hurry to make the next one. Babs probably sitting there thinking 'I'll just keep making some other films for a few years and leave Bond on the backburner. I really want to put off for as long as possible the moment I have to put on my radiation suit and go back into the melted reactor core and sort out the catastrophic post SP fallout'.
    Again for me and me alone the film was fine as it is if hey removed the Spectre elements and Blofeld.

I would of had no issue with Franz Oberhauser being the head of quantum and honestly I don't think many would. Changing the film's title to Property of a lady or Oberhauser or what have you and there you go.

As soon as they got the rights to Spectre I felt it should be an orgnization to be introduced in Bond #7's first film. But sadly that isn't what happened...