Deadly attacks in Paris / Brussels / Nice (07/14/2016)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    -No; The Question was " what's in the glass"
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    The important question is " what's in the glass" been watch many beer adverts lately ? :))

-No; The Question was; Is Your Glass Half Full or Just Half Emty?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    I also long for a world free of religion. But there's a difference between criticising Islamic teachings and enciting hatred.

I don't think any of us on this side of the argument are inciting hatred. We're inciting ridicule.
    Arguing that they "aren't a race" is utterly meaningless semantics, although I'm not saying that you did that Wiz.

I'm sure you understand that when I call your friend an idiot (and bacon sarnies notwithstanding that is what he is) it has nothing do with the colour of skin and is entirely based on his childish beliefs.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Folks, this thing about @TheWizardOfIce being Erica Ambler has to stop. It's a pointless accusation that cannot in any shape or form contribute to our discussions. We value @TheWizardOfIce's opinions, posts and humour as we do the opinions, posts and humour of most other members, the exceptions being trolls, spammers and ill-tempered whiners whom, of course, can barely be called members in the first place. Even IF the Wiz were Erica, it's been so many years since Ambler and this forum went a different way and the Wiz, despite having strong opinions, has been as much a part of this forum as I have. Besides, I'm clearly the new Odin and yet I don't see any of you worship at my altar or bring me sacrifices. So let's drop the bickering, shall we. If the Wiz steps over the line, we'll douse his account in gasoline and set it on fire as all self-proclaimed peaceful people in this world tend to do with those who don't play by their rules. If the Wis DOES turn out to be Ambler, I'll donate my allowance to charity and not buy Fabergé eggs this time. But until then, we should resume our old ways and discontinue this name-calling for which empirical evidence is missing anyway. I may be wrong, but that's besides the point. I liked this forum better before we started having these PUBLIC disagreements about who's behind the avatar, and that's all that matters! And if the Wiz says he's not Ambler, then I for one believe him.

Well @Campbell2 clearly has faith without any evidence that I am Erica so I do hope you're not ridiculing his beliefs there Darth?

Bit disappointed that none of you have gone with the obvious Spartacus gag of saying 'I'm Erica' to confound Campbell for comedy purposes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's obvious that Wiz is none other than Lee Tamahori, given his hearty love for the masterpiece that is DAD.
    My real name is actually Nikki van Der Zyl.
    Why does it have to be a glasss, could it be a cup ?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I thought it was Tiago Rodriguez...
    Why does it have to be a glasss, could it be a cup ?

-The Metaphora is about Definition; actually Meta (Half-) Amphora( Wine Jug)-is about the interesting question if You have all the knowledge or only HALF the knowledge You need to make a complete whatever that represents..!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Lots of philosophy & existential questions& discussions here lately, along with a few ad hominem and ad ignorantiam arguments thrown in.

The chap yesterday seemed to have more in common with some of the loner, psychologically disturbed gun-toting individuals who create mayhem from time to time in the US than some kind of religious wahhabism.

If someone chooses to kill anyone, they must have mental issues or be desperate in some way, shape or form. It's interesting that many of them have been on some mental health provider's radar somewhere at some point or another, and others have been on an FBI or Interpol watchlist. Of course there are exceptions. The Nice lorry/truck driver slept with men, drank and did drugs according to evidence from his phone. Hardly a 'good Muslim'. So there are no easy answers here.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    bondjames wrote: »

The chap yesterday seemed to have more in common with some of the loner, psychologically disturbed gun-toting individuals who create mayhem from time to time in the US than some kind of religious wahhabism.

I had to read that twice before I realised you were talking about the nutter in Munich not @Campbell2 or @MyNameIsBondRN!
    Someone is actually
    I also long for a world free of religion. But there's a difference between criticising Islamic teachings and enciting hatred.

I don't think any of us on this side of the argument are inciting hatred. We're inciting ridicule.
    Arguing that they "aren't a race" is utterly meaningless semantics, although I'm not saying that you did that Wiz.

I'm sure you understand that when I call your friend an idiot (and bacon sarnies notwithstanding that is what he is) it has nothing do with the colour of skin and is entirely based on his childish beliefs.

I think it's important to remember that no matter how convicted you are in your own beliefs, or lack of, there's a good chance that you are completely wrong about everything.

I've had a number of long, drunken conversations with my friend in question, explaining to him why I think the notion of any God is absurd and laughable and he needs to think for himself etc etc. But I'll never really know what motivates a person to hold such faith, and I think it would be ignorant to just assume it's idiocy when he is otherwise a very intelligent individual.

I tend to find that life is smoother when you treat people with respect rather than ridicule, no matter how ridiculous you think their beliefs are. You'll probably have an easier time bringing them round to your way of thinking if you don't charge in with insults and outrage.
    Someone is actually

I think it's important to remember that no matter how convicted you are in your own beliefs, or lack of, there's a good chance that you are completely wrong about everything.

I've had a number of long, drunken conversations with my friend in question, explaining to him why I think the notion of any God is absurd and laughable and he needs to think for himself etc etc. But I'll never really know what motivates a person to hold such faith, and I think it would be ignorant to just assume it's idiocy when he is otherwise a very intelligent individual.

I tend to find that life is smoother when you treat people with respect rather than ridicule, no matter how ridiculous you think their beliefs are. You'll probably have an easier time bringing them round to your way of thinking if you don't charge in with insults and outrage.

-Jaws; At first I really did think the same as You express here; then, after my travels I experienced things that I could not explain in any way or form.It was somewhat centric
    in my travels for example the Deadly weatherpattern in my Path; I could pass that without Peril while others Perished quite close by.Then I realized that something else decided if I should live or if I should die..A chocking experience in itself.I am now more than half a century old, and many moments in many countries could have seen the end of my existence. But I have always learnt that knowledge could minimise the risk Greatly; Solutions needs Knowledge.But One needs COMMUNICATION to bridge the knowledge and The Corresponding Language for that knowledge to be fully understood. If You reject knowledge, then You reject one of the very tools that You will need to avoid pitfalls such that we are talking about here.
    Someone is actually

Well that's a pretty lame excuse! That's relativism, both moral and intellectual. How do you work to make sure you are right about as many things as possible and wrong about as few things as possible? I'm telling you, it's not by following "revealed" "truths" and religious dogmas. It's by investigation and exercising critical thinking. You can still get it wrong but you've got more chances of success. Your friend has no good reason to believe in God or follow a faith which tenants he also rejects in parts through cherry picking. And you'd be justified to call him on that. Sure he might be right and we are wrong. The Islamist might be right, so might the Creationist, but evidences and reality are not on their side.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Breaking: another attack, this time near Stuttgart. 1 woman killed, 2 injured by machete.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,384
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europ … ld+News%29
    A man wielding a machete killed a woman and wounded two other people in the southern German city of Reutlingen on Sunday before being arrested, the Bild newspaper reported.

No further details were immediately available.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; editing by Mark Heinrich
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    F*cking hell. I know that area of Baden-Württemberg well, have many friends in and around Stuttgart. This is just crazy.
    Stand by for MyNameIsMyBondRn to come along to defend the attacker and blame
    the Victims.
    Let's calm down a bit. The information at present is thinner than the coffee table book 'MyNameIsMyBondRN's Coherent and Intellligent Posts'.

Not every crime is a terrorist attack. Could just be a standard nutter or some bloke who snapped because his missus was nagging him to take the rubbish out.
    Stand by for MyNameIsMyBondRn to come along to defend the attacker and blame
    the Victims.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/its-disturbing-author-of-book-found-in-munich-shooters-home-sees-pattern/ar-BBuJvVd?li=BBnb7Kz defend Your Ignorance about Core facts;
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    There are reports now that this individual was a Syrian refugee. This is not going to end well for Merkel if it's true, especially after the other refugee (Pakistani who lied on his application that he was an Afghani) axe incident on the train a few weeks back..
    as I said here comes the MyNameIsMyBondRn Cavalry, to defend the attackers. =))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    There are reports now that this individual was a Syrian refugee. This is not going to end well for Merkel if it's true, especially after the other refugee (Pakistani who lied on his application that he was an Afghani) axe incident on the train a few weeks back..

Time for Grexit.

Time for Grexit.

Time for Merkxit more like. She's done enough harm for her country and Europe.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Time for Grexit.

Time for Merkxit more like. She's done enough harm for her country and Europe.

Time for her to take her Angeleave?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,622
    for the record I never for a moment thought that @wiz was @ambler. An errant typo question-mark found its way into my inept smartphone posting.
    They are two different people. That was always clear.
    @ambler is long gone from these boards. He pops up occasionally at another Bond location.
    @ambler is a giant IMO in the online Bond community. He knows his Fleming and the Bond films thoroughly, as most of us do, but what distinguishes him, is that he brooks no foolishness. His wit is unmatched, his prose effortless. His observations sharp. His arguments always coherent, often enlightening. He is brazen, provocative, abrasive.
    He crushes any stupidity tossed his way with extreme prejudice. He thoroughly demolishes those brandishing pc pretentions. He is arguably, the sharpest knife in the drawer, in all of on-line Bondom.
    And articulate. He could clean up any of our posts for punctuation and grammar including this one.
    He and @khanners are probably the two smartest people I have met anywhere, and they are both of Bondom which does say something for the quality appeal of Fleming.
    Yes I do I have a small statue of the great Ambler's imagined likeness on my desk :)
    So yes my radar does alert, at any mention of the great @ambler name.

So I can only surmise that @campbell, having been skewered by @ambler somewhere in his past, and now getting an @ambler like treatment from the rambunctious @wiz, mistakenly confused the two.
    So really quite an honor was bestowed upon the feisty @wiz -to have been mistaken for the legend that is @ericaambler. @wiz can put that on his CV.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I feel my life is thoroughly incomplete having never been in the presence of this one @ericaambler.
    timmer wrote: »

So I can only surmise that @campbell, having been skewered by @ambler somewhere in his past, and now getting an @ambler like treatment from the rambunctious @wiz, mistakenly confused the two.
    So really quite an honor was bestowed upon the feisty @wiz -to have been mistaken for the legend that is @ericaambler. @wiz can put that on his CV.

If it's all the same with you I won't be adding 'confusing an idiot' to my resume.
    Campbell2 = Dragonpol
    No one is the equal of @Dragonpol. :D
    Wint wrote: »
    Campbell2 = Dragonpol

Campbell is clearly not all there but he's not mental enough to think NSF is a good book.
This discussion has been closed.