No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2016 Posts: 28,694
    It's important to note that EON are not responsible for much of the things that delay them from putting out the Bond films. Unless someone wants to actually argue that they planned in secret for a writer's strike to happen, or for MGM to face a bankruptcy fiasco. And of course, now they're facing a distribution issue, with MGM, who seem in no hurry at all slowing things, not EON.
    It's important to note that EON are not responsible for much of the things that delay them from putting out the Bond films. Unless someone wants to actually argue that they planned in secret for a writer's strike to happen, or for MGM to face a bankruptcy fiasco. And of course, now they're facing a distribution issue, with MGM, who seem in no hurry at all slowing things, not EON.

Absolutely true. But The Harry Potter franchise as an eg. had - 1 year, 2year, 1 year, 2 year, 2 year, 1 year, 1 year gaps

Star Wars - including spin offs will be 1 year, 1 year, 1 year, 1 year, 1 year gaps
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Absolutely true. But The Harry Potter franchise as an eg. had - 1 year, 2year, 1 year, 2 year, 2 year, 1 year, 1 year gaps

Star Wars - including spin offs will be 1 year, 1 year, 1 year, 1 year, 1 year gaps

And they haven't faced the same hurdles Bond has either, so I don't see the point you're trying to make, especially when he latter involves Disney, who run the world and don't have to wait on anyone...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    MGM are not WB and most definitely are not Disney. They (MGM) clearly don't have the resources and stability and I'd go as far as to say they also lack a basic level of business acumen. They also don't have film franchises that make circa $Billion for every subsequent release. The Tolkien movies are done and WB have their DC movies as well as the extended Potter movies (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) and then Disney have their annual SW movies, 2 Marvel films annually, their animation movies and their lives action remakes of cartoon classics.

MGM are in a comparative drought and their seemingly lack of urgency gives the impression that we're not going to see any Bond traction for quite some time.
    Even after MGM had that restructuring they still financed a bunch of crappy films that flopped. Outside of the Hobbit films and Bond, there's only a been a few handful of films that were a success and the only other franchise they have iirc is hot tub time machine. That's not enough. They need a string of profitable movies and whenever Bond 25 does come out everyone needs to be on the same page RE: a lower budget.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

And they haven't faced the same hurdles Bond has either, so I don't see the point you're trying to make, especially when he latter involves Disney, who run the world and don't have to wait on anyone...

The gap between SF and SP was EoN waiting on Mendes. What was the reason(s) for the gap in between TWINE and DAD?
    Cubby ( and Harry way back when) had a very clear vision of what Bond was and what the movies should be. Thats why they could just effortlessly move on to the next one. I think EON at the moment just dont have that clear a vision. Three years is a long time to wait, especially for us older fans, but worth it if the result is spectacular. If the film is just meh then thats not good. I used to love knowing that after seeing the latest adventure it was only going to be twenty four months til a new Bond film. Now its anyones guess when B25 will turn up. EON just doesn't seem to have any long term plan
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Would you try not to talk sense on this thread. Only big, overblown pronouncements with no justifiable reasoning is allowed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Good points above by all. I agree that this is probably outside EON's control for now, and many of the past delays have been on account of MGM & not EON. One of my biggest wishes is that MGM lose Bond somewhere down the lane (I'm ever hopeful that they get greedy and sell their stake to someone else). Harry made a disgraceful decision not to sell it to Cubby all those years ago, and to some extent we have paid for it ever since.

I also agree that the current EON team do not appear to have the same clarity of vision as their predecessors, and it does show in the somewhat haphazard nature of the product.

Having said all that, I think the Craig era has afforded some creative risk taking with the character. He was the right actor to try that with. This has been, to some extent, an experimental phase in the character's arc.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Disney have their annual SW movies, 2 Marvel films annually, their animation movies and their lives action remakes of cartoon classics.

3 annual Marvel films starting in 2017. ;)

Only that it is possible to make films in that kind of timeframe. That and only that.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Cubby ( and Harry way back when) had a very clear vision of what Bond was and what the movies should be. Thats why they could just effortlessly move on to the next one. I think EON at the moment just dont have that clear a vision. Three years is a long time to wait, especially for us older fans, but worth it if the result is spectacular. If the film is just meh then thats not good. I used to love knowing that after seeing the latest adventure it was only going to be twenty four months til a new Bond film. Now its anyones guess when B25 will turn up. EON just doesn't seem to have any long term plan

I don't think that is quite the case in fact I would argue every film post dr. No has been more reactive to trends rather then trying to do something Unique (though arguably Dr. no comes in light of Hitchcock) and to be fair and honest there were plenty of plans that changed due to things out of their control for example

Harry loved the almost bond novel Per fine ounce and wanted to to be the 5th bond film however IFP hated the story and there we go. Harry and Cubby wanted to do OHMSS in 64 after Goldfinger I believe (some early prints of the movie even had James Bond will return in On her Majesties secret service) before a deal was struck with Mclory to adapt thunderball. From Russia with love was only chosen as the second book to adapt due to Kennedy saying it was one of his favorite books. The entire Moore era really is reacting to the cinema at large
    Blaxploitation - Live and let die
    Kung fu - The man with the golden gun
    Jaws - The Spy who loved me
    Star Wars - Moonraker
    ? - for your eyes only (I am guessing films like the French connection but I honestly don't know)
    Indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark- Octopussy
    ? - A View to a Kill (like for your eyes only nothing is imeaditly jumping out at me)

As for the Dalton era his feels more original in the living daylights but Licence to kill feels influenced by Miami Vice and Leathel Weapon to be honest.

Like I said I feel sometimes we put Albert and Harry on some kind of pedal stool and say how bad Mike and Babs are (and how much worse Gregg and Babs will be) but I don't know I think each tenure has had strengths and weaknesses yes the Craig era is very similarly stealing from modern media like the Moore era but I dunno I feel it still has a good mix of Fleming and originality thrown in even Spectre... And I think they are somewhat learning from the mistakes of the Brosnan era (whose lack of a central villianious orgnization I think does hurt the era a bit like had Janus been given time to develop with Trevellyan maybe retiring in tomorrow never dies from being a 00 and going into business and being the villain of die another day could of had some interesting implications and added some much needed drama and stakes but I digress...

But yeah and before we play the number game if we are talking original stories from EON the numbers are not as bad as one thinks

60- 6 films
    70's 5 films
    80's 5 films
    90's 3 films 2 original video games and an animated series
    00's 3 films 4 original games ( 3 even have brosnan's look and 1 has his voice)
    10's 2 films (and 1 game though how you would count reloaded and legends I don't know so I am not)

Not exactly horrible.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Cubby cluster#$%ed the series too, no question.

Quality over quantity is fine, but you have to deliver on quality. Modern day EON has made four terrible Brosnan era films. They've made one great film with CR. Some can argue SF is also great. I would say good. QoS and SP both have large script problems obviously. Yes, I know the writer's strike, blah, blah...

Regardless of outside circumstance, they are clearly not master story tellers/developers. They are leaning heavily on the directors and their writers. After the Brosnan era, they did up the level of talent which is appreciated (though required to keep the series alive). But they're not picking people who are quite right for the series either and they don't know when or how to say 'no' to some decision making or how to make up for what those people lack. And they also can't wait (even if it's been years), to start filming with a good, finished script in hand.

That's why most of us are waiting with bated breathe to hear who their new creative team is going to be.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Cubby cluster#$%ed the series too, no question.

Quality over quantity is fine, but you have to deliver on quality. Modern day EON has made four terrible Brosnan era films. They've made one great film with CR. Some can argue SF is also great. I would say good. QoS and SP both have large script problems obviously. Yes, I know the writer's strike, blah, blah...

Regardless of outside circumstance, they are clearly not master story tellers/developers. They are leaning heavily on the directors and their writers. After the Brosnan era, they did up the level of talent which is appreciated (though required to keep the series alive). But they're not picking people who are quite right for the series either and they don't know when or how to say 'no' to some decision making or how to make up for what those people lack. And they also can't wait (even if it's been years), to start filming with a good, finished script in hand.

That's why most of us are waiting with bated breathe to hear who their new creative team is going to be.
    I agree with you. Well said.
    Anyone familiar with the Sony leaks will know that EON don't roll over for anyone. If it wasn't for the likes of Barbara, we'd have had some loony ideas to contend with in the form of suggestions from the Sony nuts on high (like Pascal), but because of Barbara's no-budge attitude, we got what I think is a fantastic film.

These SP script problem complaints always perplex me. More confusing still is when those who criticize it post their own plot ideas for the movie, which give me hearty chuckles. Some seem to think filmmaking is easy as pie and they can do it all the better, what with all the plates to spin between writers, studio execs, distributors, the director, cast, crew, producers of all levels, and on and on and on, all with their own motivations, aims/agendas and ideas about payment. Totally easy, right? :-\"

I just don't play the blame game when it comes to this stuff, and I'm always in EON's corner because they very seldom ever give me reasons not to be. They've kept this series stable and in the family after Cubby's passing, don't let anyone toy with their vision, they consistently pull strong numbers at the box office assuring Bond continues healthily (with the past two films netting 2 billion alone), and they treat their collaborators with the utmost respect and freedom. Listening to some on here, you'd think they're a draconian film company that makes everyone on set wear bolted chains and tape over their mouths while they aren't shooting a scene. Have they made mistakes? Obviously, but name me a company in the film industry that doesn't. And yet you don't see them pulling the kind of things that are in vogue today, like making films only for selling products (though they could with the massive Bond license), they don't place their Bond actors in contracts that trap them (Dan's open contract for example), their films introduce audiences to other cultures and the people of those nations without stereotyping them or degrading them, and they don't let themselves be run by bean counters or people who have no business giving them suggestions on their franchise (again, Pascal and co.). We're lucky to have Bond in such uncompromising and talented hands, hands that truly care for Bond and his legacy as they try to mold each new film from the ground up in a very rough and labyrinthine industry.

If the Craig era marks a so-called period of decline in quality for the franchise, then I look forward to many more films of such "decline," because as far as I'm concerned we haven't had movies like this since the 60s that perfectly represent all that Bond should be.
    Steven Spielberg backs Idris as the next Bond
    http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/james-bond-007/news/a801599/steven-spielberg-was-turned-down-as-a-bond-director-not-once-but-twice/

Slow news day, but interesting to hear from the great Steven Spielberg. I'd be more than happy with Idris getting the role. I have no agenda to see a black Bond, it just so happens that Idris is a perfect fit for the role regardless of his skin colour.

335E6C6200000578-3549893-Sneak_peek_In_an_exclusive_look_at_the_upcoming_movie_the_Britis-a-35_1461167752651.jpg
    Why not cast Irbis as Indy then?
    Spielberg can go straight to Hell.
    Every time I see an article like that Speilberg one above I am compelled to think it might be amusing................if a new Bond film were even remotely in the works. But sense the MGM CEO or whatever he was, is in "no rush", Speilberg's opinion is about as valid as any of us here who might sarcastically say "Ron Howard would make a great James Bond. I'm backing Richie Cunningham as the next 007".
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Did the writer's strike actually cause any delay? I thought they were on schedule, strike notwithstanding.
    LTK was not delayed. Wilson worked from RM draft.

Filming started on QoS with script writes and rewrites going on.

The only script to cause a delay was Logan's. TSWLM went through several writers but I think the delay was more restructuring after Saltzman sold out. I'm not sure.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Spielberg can go straight to Hell.

Hahaha, that's quite the overreaction.

Did the writer's strike actually cause any delay? I thought they were on schedule, strike notwithstanding.

I was citing the strike as an example of EON facing pressures that they were later criticized for (QoS as a whole), that's all. It is confusing the way I worded it, and I probably should have put it in the newest post I made in this thread. Once again though, I feel the script issue is another area where EON and co. came through, as I love QoS's story.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    evKpGE6.jpg

Wouldn't mind Idris Elba in B25 if he was in a role like this
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And then 009 beats the crap out of 007.

Craig as 009 of course.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Craig as 009 of course.

Evidently ;)
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    60s: 6 films
    70s: 5 films
    80s: 5 films
    90s: 3 films
    00s: 3 films
    10s: 2 films (thus far)

Looks like a steady trend of 3 films per decade is the best would could hope for these days. Kinda ridiculous, IMO. There's no reason they can't get it to 4.

Of course, in the 60s-80s they had all the Fleming novels and short stories to instantly adapt. Naturally, the production slows down when they don't have that advantage and have to create new stories from scratch, and up the ante in action to compete with other blockbusters, whereas in the 60s Bond was the only game in town.

Anyway, the comparisons to Star Wars and Marvel are silly - the yearly movies are about different characters. James Bond is one person, and the production schedule is on par with every other solo action character out there - Batman, Bourne, Mission Impossible etc.

As Steven is a close friend of Daniel and I assume knows more - him suggesting this pretty much suggests, that Daniel hasn't said, he is coming back to his friend, rather the opposite. Or that the chance is high. Just saying...

evKpGE6.jpg

Wouldn't mind Idris Elba in B25 if he was in a role like this

That is.... great idea :)>-
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Anyone familiar with the Sony leaks will know that EON don't roll over for anyone. If it wasn't for the likes of Barbara, we'd have had some loony ideas to contend with

Thank Christ Babs was there to put her foot down so we didn't get 'loony ideas' such as the invisible car, CGI parasurfing atrocity and Blofeld as stepbrother fiasco getting the green light. Phew.

dinovelvet wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    60s: 6 films
    70s: 5 films
    80s: 5 films
    90s: 3 films
    00s: 3 films
    10s: 2 films (thus far)

Looks like a steady trend of 3 films per decade is the best would could hope for these days. Kinda ridiculous, IMO. There's no reason they can't get it to 4.

Of course, in the 60s-80s they had all the Fleming novels and short stories to instantly adapt. Naturally, the production slows down when they don't have that advantage and have to create new stories from scratch, and up the ante in action to compete with other blockbusters, whereas in the 60s Bond was the only game in town.

Anyway, the comparisons to Star Wars and Marvel are silly - the yearly movies are about different characters. James Bond is one person, and the production schedule is on par with every other solo action character out there - Batman, Bourne, Mission Impossible etc.

That's a very good point. I can remember around the time of TLD, pretty much assuming all the Dalton films would be based on the remaining short stories, and figuring his successor would most likely be starring in adaptations of the John Gardner novels.
    When the Brosnan era actually happened, it was blatantly clear future Bond films would be made up stories from scratch. Hence more thought going into coming up with a plot, caper, etc
    Perhaps if Eon were more interested in adapting some of the continuation novels, or even a few of the comics like Serpent's Tooth, Quasimodo Gambit, etc, we might more films out frequently.