The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That's why we need Michael Gove as Prime Minister as he shakes things up!
    Gove will never make it, too unconventional,
    The backstabber label will be hard to shake off too. A real pity as I dislike and distrust Theresa May but we shall see what happens...
    Grassroots love May, exactly what they want, she will walk it unless something major happens
    patb wrote: »
    Grassroots love May, exactly what they want, she will walk it unless something major happens

That's exactly what I think too, sadly. :(
    I don't know much about Theresa May but she seems to be more of a leader than Michael Gove. And she's the MP of Maidenhead which is practically next door from where I live (and where I work).
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Too much populists and demagogues want to 'shake things up' these days. Theresa May for me seems to have a very good temperament and the necessary dosis of empathy. If you read back my post about why I prefer Theresa May, then that should satisfy you more....

Also, I sincerely believe a Conservative from the 'Remain' camp is in a better position to heal the country. If Gove becomes PM -a 'Leaver'- he has to battle much fiercer with the Northern-Irish cause and the revived Scottish independence. And.....do not forget that still 48 % voted 'Remain'. Lastly, I think the UK needs stability...and especially unity.

And for me as a pro-EU supporter, I also think it will indirectly help the financial and economic stability on the mainland of Europe.
    I voted Leave and I think Theresa May is better suited. The Torys in the Leave campaign were and are too divisive and proved to show little leadership.
    My favoured candidate, Michael Gove MP's speech today, Friday 1st July 2016:

I'm really disappointed, I was so looking forward to world run by Boris and Trump.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Gove should perhaps have used a better backdrop for his speech than the pale beige blank canvas. Unless it was intentional (to show that he's not airbrushed). May was standing behind the typical shelf of books. At least we didn't see flags.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    We have better Bond choices than for next PM and President.

Vote Bell. You're never be shorted again.

Gove should have had books behind him as he's an intellectual politician.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053
    Although I was only on the periphery of the leave campaign I can report that 'the word on the street' among activists is that the emerging favourite among them appears to be Andrea Leadsom. May is regarded as the worst candidate (& I'm with that one). We need a person capable of steering us through the minefield which is the coming negotiations who will successfully deliver a result which is to the satisfaction of the majority of British people (that majority in this instance are those who voted to leave). While I was all for getting out ASAP upon reflection I feel it may now be to our advantage to have that small breathing space in light of the fact that trade deals with several countries are on the cards. This could prove a useful lever.
    For me personally, as a Dutch citizen working in Spain, I want article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to be put into effect as soon as possible. It worries me that all PM candidates want to do that as early as next year.

Good for the UK citizens they want have leverage time, but I'm sorry that should have been taken into account before the referendum. In the end the other EU nations have another interest.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    That's the great thing about loopholes :D
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Too much populists and demagogues want to 'shake things up' these days. Theresa May for me seems to have a very good temperament and the necessary dosis of empathy. If you read back my post about why I prefer Theresa May, then that should satisfy you more....

Also, I sincerely believe a Conservative from the 'Remain' camp is in a better position to heal the country. If Gove becomes PM -a 'Leaver'- he has to battle much fiercer with the Northern-Irish cause and the revived Scottish independence. And.....do not forget that still 48 % voted 'Remain'. Lastly, I think the UK needs stability...and especially unity.

And for me as a pro-EU supporter, I also think it will indirectly help the financial and economic stability on the mainland of Europe.

I don't see how someone from the remain camp has any right to take the job frankly. Might as well just keep Caneron on.

Intellectually Gove should be the man but he is utterly charisma free and would be suicide for the Tories in a general election so it looks like May is a done deal.

Love how you take pains to point out that the 48% who voted remain need to be considered. Precisely the position of the Westminster elite who you can be sure wouldn't give the slightest toss for the views of the 48% if the positions were reversed.
    For me personally, as a Dutch citizen working in Spain, I want article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to be put into effect as soon as possible. It worries me that all PM candidates want to do that as early as next year.

Good for the UK citizens they want have leverage time, but I'm sorry that should have been taken into account before the referendum. In the end the other EU nations have another interest.

Sorry mate but that's non of the EU's business. Until our PM turns up with a signed article 50 in his hand we are a full member.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    It has to be one of those involved in the leave campaign. As the previous poster rightly pointed out Cameron may just as well remain in office otherwise. Personally I really do hope it's not May who gets the job.
    I still honestly think the animosity in the Conservatives will keep eating away
    At them. Whoever gets the leadership, I predict plenty of political betrayals
    To come.

I don't see how someone from the remain camp has any right to take the job frankly. Might as well just keep Caneron on.

Intellectually Gove should be the man but he is utterly charisma free and would be suicide for the Tories in a general election so it looks like May is a done deal.

Love how you take pains to point out that the 48% who voted remain need to be considered. Precisely the position of the Westminster elite who you can be sure wouldn't give the slightest toss for the views of the 48% if the positions were reversed.

Sorry mate but that's non of the EU's business. Until our PM turns up with a signed article 50 in his hand we are a full member.

It is. Especially since before the Brexit and during the campaign, the Leave-supporters wanted to get out of the EU as soon as possible. Nuance should have kicked in earlier. But obviously, now Brexit is a fact, Leave-supporters suddenly see all the complexities. You should have seen that beforehand.
    Hindsight is always 20/20 :))
    So basically the Politicians were stupid, the voters were stupid, only
    The EU and their supporters are smart ? WOW, if the UK is so Stupid
    I wonder why the EU wants to keep us. :))
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    They don't. Dream on. :))
    Second biggest donator to the EU pot ? I think they'll miss our
    Money at least. :))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

It is. Especially since before the Brexit and during the campaign, the Leave-supporters wanted to get out of the EU as soon as possible. Nuance should have kicked in earlier. But obviously, now Brexit is a fact, Leave-supporters suddenly see all the complexities. You should have seen that beforehand.

Not saying that. Just pointing out that it's nothing to do with you Europeans until we formally announce we're going by article 50. You can want us out tomorrow but it's not up to you. If we want to dally over it for the next 5 years there's bugger all you can do about it.
    Like most EU rulings, it's badly worded, with no time frame in which it must be
    Activated. The must have thought it would never be needed ! :))
    I think it will be Theresa May who comes out victorious, however as a REMAINER in the referendum? I think she will have a difficult time.

Not saying that. Just pointing out that it's nothing to do with you Europeans until we formally announce we're going by article 50. You can want us out tomorrow but it's not up to you. If we want to dally over it for the next 5 years there's bugger all you can do about it.

Yes, now that the cat is out of the bag go right on and pay for another five years into the EU budget, no reason to hurry now. :D

And while you're at it you can throw around your weight a bit and try to convince investors to burn some money in the land of the clueless, hapless, spineless, why not? I bet that's going to be a great success. :))

I'm starting to believe that Boris was actually the one with the most brains in the whole crumbling movement.

I fand myself agreeing with you again @Campbell2, after the Conservatives
    pull each other apart, over a few years. Boris can re-emerge as the best
    candidate they have. :D basically, stand back and let the others fight it
    out, then when ready. take out the survivor ;)
    edited July 2016 Posts: 299
    I fand myself agreeing with you again @Campbell2, after the Conservatives
    pull each other apart, over a few years. Boris can re-emerge as the best
    candidate they have. :D basically, stand back and let the others fight it
    out, then when ready. take out the survivor ;)

The real baffling thing is how both major parties are shown now with their pants around their ankles and their thumbs up ye know where. That's what they claimed all along, we just never knew they were both right about it.

Doubt that Boris will be back again though. He is a clown and he doesn't agree with the powers that be at the Murdoch HQ, so he can never be PM against the Sun. ;)
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think it will be Theresa May who comes out victorious, however as a REMAINER in the referendum? I think she will have a difficult time.

I was thinking that, but surprisingly I thought she gave a very good speech and set herself as the right candidate to actually negotiate the Leave with the EU. She said it in no uncertain terms: Brexit means Brexit. She is also far less polarising than Michael Gove. I don't hear demagogy from her either, she just sounds like someone who wants to get on with the job. Of course politicians tend to disappoint, but at least I liked what I heard. Fiscally conservative, but socially liberal.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Gove should perhaps have used a better backdrop for his speech than the pale beige blank canvas. Unless it was intentional (to show that he's not airbrushed). May was standing behind the typical shelf of books. At least we didn't see flags.

You mean Gove was in front of a backdrop? All I saw was a beige screen, and there was some noise.
This discussion has been closed.