The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No news on it sadly. This article seems to think it won't happen... :(
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/sequels/33255/sequels-abandoned-after-the-film-before-them-struggled
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited May 2016 Posts: 3,157
    I think considering the ending of November Man
    a sequel is not really necessary. He retired with his daughter, so he got his happy ending.

I would love to see a movie series set in the 70s-80s with a younger actor as Devereaux (Brosnan's son, perhaps? They've got quite similar looks) based on the novels, acting as a prequel to Brosnan's The November Man.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Walecs wrote: »
    I think considering the ending of November Man
    a sequel is not really necessary. He retired with his daughter, so he got his happy ending.

I would love to see a movie series set in the 70s-80s with a younger actor as Devereaux (Brosnan's son, perhaps? They've got quite similar looks) based on the novels, acting as a prequel to Brosnan's The November Man.
    Agreed. I'm all for that.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Like Sir Roger, I think Pierce is one of life's gentlmen and naturally stylish.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    talos7 wrote: »

Woooow, looks really good very attractive, definitely not beard for him whenever he is clean shaven he gets to look instantly younger.
    Thanks for these pics made my day

;)
    He's a cool git. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This is exciting. Could be a good role for Brozz. I can see him playing a bad ass Jock Ewing type patriarch character.

Soon we could have, for the very first time, two ex-Bond actors in US tv series concurrently, assuming rumours of Craig's departure are true.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    bondjames wrote: »
    Soon we could have, for the very first time, two ex-Bond actors in US tv series concurrently, assuming rumours of Craig's departure are true.

And both on quality channels - AMC for Brozza and Showtime for Craig.

Great news for Brozzer. At least he can stop participating in godawful indie movies like the recent one called Urge. Seeing as this miniseries is going to be set in the wild west, I do hope it wouldn't end up being a boring flick like Seraphim Falls.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    This is great news Tv is now living a Golden age with very interesting stuff and a lot of creativity. I just hope it succeds and gives him the popularity he deserves.

Sure film is always more prestigious but if Hollywood sees what they've missed he could expirience a career revival thanks to that series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Great news for Brozzer. At least he can stop participating in godawful indie movies like the recent one called Urge. Seeing as this miniseries is going to be set in the wild west, I do hope it wouldn't end up being a boring flick like Seraphim Falls.
    Seraphim Falls was a good movie!!
    :-O
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seraphim Falls was a good movie!!
    :-O
    It might've been, dramatically. But, unfortunately, I'm not into dramas. As a young fella who had recently watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, I expected theatrical OTT-ness from it. Little did I know that I was looking at the wrong film. Haven't revisited it ever since.
    Congratulations Pierce :)
    Now, the question is... Will Pierce be able to do Texan/Southern accent? Like Connery, he's always destined to do one accent. And that's his native one.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Now, the question is... Will Pierce be able to do Texan/Southern accent? Like Connery, he's always destined to do one accent. And that's his native one.

That's a fair question
    And I don't think Pierce will even try just use his usual accent peop,e still accepting his performance because they like/ love Pierce.

• GBFGBF
    Recently I watched "The Ghost Writer" by Roman Polanski and I really enjoyed the film. Pierce did an ok job there I think but for me it was really difficult to take him seriously in the role. Don't get me wrong, I liked him as Bond but it is difficult to see him in a different and more serious role.
    GBF wrote: »
    Recently I watched "The Ghost Writer" by Roman Polanski and I really enjoyed the film. Pierce did an ok job there I think but for me it was really difficult to take him seriously in the role. Don't get me wrong, I liked him as Bond but it is difficult to see him in a different and more serious role.
    I'm actually quite the opposite @GBF. I found Brosnan tolerable as Bond but I much prefer him in nearly everything else that he does, and especially the Ghost Writer, where I thought he was quite fantastic. I recommend the Tailor Panama, The Thomas Crown Affair & The Noble House miniseries to see Brosnan at his best (imho.).
    I thought he was very good in The Ghost Writer. Some subtle touches in his performance.
    @bondjames, now The Noble House was something! I loved how serious, intense, intimidating and yet very calm Ian Dunross was in the portrait of Pierce Brosnan. Fascinating stuff!
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Absolutely @ClarkDevlin. Brosnan was superb and as you said, had a calm intensity in his portrayal of Ian Dunross there. Excellent work.

I wish he had been given Bond in the 80's, because if he brought that type of confidence to the role, he might have been my favourite Bond. He held his own with John Rhys Davies and dominated the screen whenever he was on.

GE remains my favourite Bond performance from him (although objectively I can see why DAD may be better) and a lot of that is on account of his relative youth in the film.
    Absolutely @ClarkDevlin. Brosnan was superb and as you said, had a calm intensity in his portrayal of Ian Dunross there. Excellent work.

I wish he had been given Bond in the 80's, because if he brought that type of confidence to the role, he might have been my favourite Bond. He held his own with John Rhys Davies and dominated the screen whenever he was on.

GE remains my favourite Bond performance from him (although objectively I can see why DAD may be better) and a lot of that is on account of his relative youth in the film.
    Oh, I can see where you were coming from. The first time I've seen it was right after I completed my run on Remington Steele (seeing as both were released in the 80s), and it was helluva of a transition from a comedic character to a downright serious and intimidating businessman. And I do agree, his Bond channelled many of that aspects in GoldenEye, and it was missing from the rest, which I didn't mind. Although, in Die Another Day, he played it like his Thomas Crown counterpart.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,696
    @bondjames @Creasy47 @Murdock @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego

First footage for The Foreigner thanks to Jackie Chan posting a mash up preview of his upcoming films.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    WHOA! Looks great as do the other movies showcased as well. It's a hell of a year for Jackie.
    For me, the movie that made me think that Pierce could play Bond was this one :

511RXFWJ6SL.jpg

Filmed in 1988, it was the story of the man who, in 1825, discovered and broke the Thugee cult in India. It showed Pierce as its most ruthless, before "The Fourth Protocol". I think that, if Brosnan had taken the part of Bond right after Remington Steele, he would have been a carbon copy of Roger Moore. After these two movies, he was ready to take on Bond properly.
    I've always wanted to see this one, but never got round to it. I'll try to pick it up from Amazon. I'm personally of the belief that if Brosnan took over directly from Moore, he would have gone down as one of the better Bonds (at least imho). He had a raw edge to him when younger.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I've always wanted to see this one, but never got round to it. I'll try to pick it up from Amazon. I'm personally of the belief that if Brosnan took over directly from Moore, he would have gone down as one of the better Bonds (at least imho). He had a raw edge to him when younger.

I think he got better as he started to grow older. Actually for me he is the only Bond from the past who got at his best looks in his last film

Check these videos to see what i mean

Pierce Brosnan
    https://youtu.be/emwFSTv71-I

Sean Connery
    https://youtu.be/0t1_usmB30s

Roger Moore
    https://youtu.be/CxwdlWwuEPE

Szonana wrote: »

I think he got better as he started to grow older. Actually for me he is the only Bond from the past who got at his best looks in his last film

Check these videos to see what i mean

Pierce Brosnan
    https://youtu.be/emwFSTv71-I

Sean Connery
    https://youtu.be/0t1_usmB30s

Roger Moore
    https://youtu.be/CxwdlWwuEPE
    I still think he looked at his best in GE, but there's no doubt he had at least a few more in him post-DAD.