The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »
    I've always wanted to see this one, but never got round to it. I'll try to pick it up from Amazon. I'm personally of the belief that if Brosnan took over directly from Moore, he would have gone down as one of the better Bonds (at least imho). He had a raw edge to him when younger.

I think he got better as he started to grow older. Actually for me he is the only Bond from the past who got at his best looks in his last film

Check these videos to see what i mean

Pierce Brosnan
    https://youtu.be/emwFSTv71-I

Sean Connery
    https://youtu.be/0t1_usmB30s

Roger Moore
    https://youtu.be/CxwdlWwuEPE
    I still think he looked at his best in GE, but there's no doubt he had at least a few more in him post-DAD.

Well maybe one more he was still looking fantastic after Die another day but I wouldn't have wanted him to stay a little too long like Sean Connery or Roger Moore.

I wished Connery have stayed till you only live Twice and Moore stopped with Octopussy. No hate to Lazenby but i guess would have taken him out of the picture and Moore instead of making live and let Die and the man with the golden gun made Diamonds are forever and On her Majesty's secret service.

That would leave Dalton to make those two along with The living Daylights and Licence to kill

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    (Almost) In Praise of Pierce Brosnan in GoldenEye

Well, I watched GoldenEye yesterday, and it struck me that no other actor has given such a frustrating performance in the role of James Bond either before or since.

Pierce (if I may be so informal), and let's not make any bones about this, completely cocked up his Q and Moneypenny scenes. Whilst Desmond Llewellyn gave his usual assured turn as Q Pierce could barely suppress his delight at finally being Bond in a big Q scene and indulged himself with so much goofing that I half expected the 3 Stooges to show up. The scene looked under rehearsed because Pierce just couldn't do it. His line delivery was dreadful, his acting woeful.

And in the MP scene as Samantha Bond delivered her lines he smirked and postured his way through the scene to such an extent he thoroughly deserved a slap in the face and a knee in the nuts.

HOWEVER, in three key scenes, M's office, the meeting with Zukovsky and the meeting with Janus, Brosnan simply smacked the ball clean out of the park.

In the first of these, with M his restraint was admirable (sorry but Dalton would have spelt it all out for us as if he were Hamlet). As M tore into him his feelings were there but only in his eyes (very important in film acting).

In the Zukovsky scene the fear that he was losing control of the situation was palpable. To such an extent that when he delivered the line 'Very talented girl' about Zukovsky's awful mistress there was a degree of relief that broke through the tension making the line seemed so much funnier than it actually was.

Finally when he meets Janus you can see his mind piecing everything together, trying to think the situation through from a hopeless position.

The rest of the time he was good (eg the interrogation scene), bad (eg playing baccarat)or indifferent (eg meeting Wade for the first time), but when it was called for in the important dramatic moments, he genuinely did the business. And that is the Bond we should have seen more of in TWINE.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,756
    I agree with your assessment but I disagree about the Q and Moneypenny scenes. The Q scene is just so much fun.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    @bondjames @Creasy47 @Murdock @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego

First footage for The Foreigner thanks to Jackie Chan posting a mash up preview of his upcoming films.

Campbell still has it in him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NicNac wrote: »

Well, I watched GoldenEye yesterday, and it struck me that no other actor has given such a frustrating performance in the role of James Bond either before or since.

Pierce (if I may be so informal), and let's not make any bones about this, completely cocked up his Q and Moneypenny scenes. Whilst Desmond Llewellyn gave his usual assured turn as Q Pierce could barely suppress his delight at finally being Bond in a big Q scene and indulged himself with so much goofing that I half expected the 3 Stooges to show up. The scene looked under rehearsed because Pierce just couldn't do it. His line delivery was dreadful, his acting woeful.

And in the MP scene as Samantha Bond delivered her lines he smirked and postured his way through the scene to such an extent he thoroughly deserved a slap in the face and a knee in the nuts.

These obvious truths should be balanced with some praise in this thread. Nice that you managed to find something.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 40,551
    Honestly, the Q scene in GE is one of my Top 3 Q interactions that Bond has. They both seem to be having a lot of fun together, particularly when they both genuinely laugh about the "writing's on the wall" comment.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,694
    I'm sure @Thunderfinger would claim Q's sandwich was more exciting than Brosnan in that scene. How wrong he would be. ;)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Honestly, the Q scene in GE is one of my Top 3 Q interactions that Bond has. They both seem to be having a lot of fun together, particularly when they both genuinely laugh about the "writing's on the wall" comment.
    Which is fine. I see it one way but that doesn't make me right. Hell I love YOLT so that tells you something about my assessment
    :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm afraid I have to agree with @NicNac that the MP scene in particular was awful and terribly affected work by the good Brozz. " Hope springs eternal". Indeed.

Thankfully, as pointed out, this was redeemed by the M & Zukovsky scenes, which are definitely some of the better ones in the entire series and nicely underplayed.

I don't quite agree on the Janus intro, because there was some overplay here too (imho) but it was thankfully limited.
    NicNac wrote: »

These obvious truths should be balanced with some praise in this thread. Nice that you managed to find something.

Well the idea was to highlight what Brosnan did well, not what he didn't do so well. I thought he handled the key dramatic scenes very well as did RogerMoore in his films.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Some of you really look too much into it... Should we look at how wrong Brosnan is wearing the tie, or may be he should have worn it three inches left or right, or what belt should he have been using, or a sling of hair that gone to the wrong angle? Or perhaps if there's a gum under his shoes, or a bit of a dust... That makes him an awful Bond and flawed...

8-|
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Should we look at how wrong Brosnan is wearing the tie, or may be he should have worn it three inches left or right, or what belt should he have been using, or a sling of hair that gone to the wrong angle? Or perhaps if there's a gum under his shoes, or a bit of a dust... That makes him an awful Bond and flawed...

|

Even though all of that is very true and obvious, this isn t the place for it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's very easy, this is an appreciation thread. If you don't appreciate him, don't
    Visit it. :D Brosnan seems to get a lot of hate, so I don't think it's asking too
    Much for his fans to have a safe place away from all the negativity. ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Some of you really look too much into it... Should we look at how wrong Brosnan is wearing the tie, or may be he should have worn it three inches left or right, or what belt should he have been using, or a sling of hair that gone to the wrong angle? Or perhaps if there's a gum under his shoes, or a bit of a dust... That makes him an awful Bond and flawed...

8-|

Ppffftt! My problem with Brosnan was that he shouldn't have been wearing a belt at all. His suits are tailored not off the rack at Marks and Spencer.
    [-(
    Breath in, hold it .?...... now breath out, let all that negativity go .... better uh ? :))
    Much ;)
    It appears nobody got the point. ;)
    Also isn't the wardrobe dept, responsible for dressing actors ? So if anything
    They should be getting the complaints. :D

8-|
    Yes indeed but that's what we are here for.. Nitpicking ;)

I can tell by the way Brosnan walks that his underpants don't match the cut
    Of his suit. Spoilt the entire movie for me. Now Dalton, there's a man who
    Knew how to mix and match ! :D
    Good God, don't get me started on Dalton's suits. :)) Still better than the post-2010 Craig, though.
    I always got the impression Dalton wasn't a suit guy ? Much as I
    think he was a fantastic Bond, ( to me at least) he always looked
    uncomfortable in a suit, whereas Pierce had a frame that suits always
    looked good. ;) just my two cents
    Dalton's suits were too ordinary, as the cuts were too much of the casual late '80s... Nothing fancy about them. The suits from that era look as if they are oversized on a man's figure, about to fall with the wrong move... (Ehem! Dalton is an awesome Bond!)

Craig's Skyfall and Spectre wardrobes are the worst, though.

That said, I also didn't like Pierce's outfits in GoldenEye.But, the rest were very good. Especially in The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day. And I do agree that he should never have worn a belt. ;)
    I fully agree about Craig's suits in SF and SP, to my unknowelegable eye
    FAR TOO TIGHT ! , I think his suits in QOS, from the same designer were
    far better. whether that's the cut or the fit, I don't know.
    Quantum of Solace was definitely great wardrobe-wise. :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Quantum of Solace was definitely great wardrobe-wise. :D

Damn, I would kill to have one of those suits.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Brosnan always wore his suits well, but the look was too corporate (intentionally I believe, based on what I've read somewhere). Like a banker (ironically, which was his disguise in TND). In GE in particular, with the swanky ties as well, he looked more like a Goldman Sachs type than a trained spy.

I'm in complete agreement that Craig in SF/SP has by far the worst suit cuts. Disgraceful in my view. Jany Temime must go, and I'm willing to start a petition if need be.
    Nice to know I just might be able to recognise style, :D
    As I'm a jeans and sweat shirt guy. ;)
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Brosnan always wore his suits well, but the look was too corporate (intentionally I believe, based on what I've read somewhere). Like a banker (ironically, which was his disguise in TND). In GE in particular, with the swanky ties as well, he looked more like a Goldman Sachs type than a trained spy.

I'm in complete agreement that Craig in SF/SP has by far the worst suit cuts. Disgraceful in my view. Jany Temime must go, and I'm willing to start a petition if need be.
    My only complaint about the Brosnan suits were that they were three-button jackets instead of two. What is he? A student in a private school with a uniform? :))

And yes, @bondjames, you've read that in The Suits of James Bond website in an article that was a poll, leading the fans to pick which style of clothing they liked. He referred to Brosnan's three-piece suit in Tomorrow Never Dies as "a powerful man's look, a businessman at that, but not a suitable spy." I kind of agree on that. But, I do insist that TWINE/DAD had a great wardrobe and fine cut suits for Brosnan. Even the windsor tie knots looked too great.

I think for the SF/SP wardrobe, it's not Temime to blame. It's Craig himself who prefers those suits in his personal life, too.
    What an eyesore. Honestly, if Craig ever farted in those SP/SF suits...game over.