The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    This is the begining of the end I'm going to look at a move to Scotland .
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    This is the begining of the end I'm going to look at a move to Scotland .

Kincade will be there to greet you, without the shotgun, hopefully.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Dodgy Dave gone. Probably Bojo as PM in three months time. Good grief.
    God help us all.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    So we have now America, Europe, Africa, Asia and...

For The Island James ? 8-}

• Wow, just to show you how fast it goes, it's 9:40am in France and already a UK-based supplier I work with for 3 years has phoned me to explain he can't deliver no more and will move to elsewhere in Europe as soon as he can.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    So we're out. Well at least the vote is over. Now we can talk about more important stuff like future Spice Girls reunions or if Boris Johnson cuts his own hair...
    Dear British banks, airliners and (Anglo-Dutch) enterprises: Please relocate to Amsterdam and Rotterdam. We have a very positive (read: low) taxation culture. And I think it will boost up the Dutch economy.
    Dear British banks, airliners and (Anglo-Dutch) enterprises: Please relocate to Amsterdam and Rotterdam. We have a very positive (read: low) taxation culture. And I think it will boost up the Dutch economy.

Fat chance of that Gustav here in the UK we will be working flat out to sort this mess out and will be waiting for the Dutch Nation to have a Referendum of their own .

Fat chance of that Gustav here in the UK we will be working flat out to sort this mess out and will be waiting for the Dutch Nation to have a Referendum of their own .

The political consequences are dire because of this Brexit.

Next year there are elections in Germany, France and The Netherlands. Marine Le Pen, Alternative fur Deutschland and Geert Wilders will exploit the current anti-EU sentiment even more. Expect a rise in variations of the word 'Brexit': 'Gexit', 'Frexit' and 'Nexit'
    Very true is this the start of a European implosion I wonder ?....
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,325

An implosion of the EU's own making. My views on Europe have changed dramatically over the last 10 years.
    Quite so my friend.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119
    tanaka123 wrote: »

An implosion of the EU's own making. My views on Europe have changed dramatically over the last 10 years.

I have to agree with that. I am also angry how European politicians behave these days. Men like Juncker, Schultz and Tusk need to talk with all the citizens of the EU. The worried citizens. Because our middle class is being destroyed in a fast rate. A middle class destruction, that reminds me of the 1920's and 1930's.

So indeed, European politicians forcefully need to say: "Dear people, we are sorry that we didn't listen to you!" It needs to be the driving force of upcoming summits about the future of the EU.

But, regardless of the current 'hate' aimed at the EU, a 'Remain' vote would have been the best of two bad voting options. The 24th of June 2016 is as historic as the 28th of June 1914. And like in 1914, it's a negative outcome as well. 'Brexit' will only facilitate a faster destruction of the middle class and will only enhance current far-right-wing and far-left-wing populist resentment in the Western World. Not to mention the influence this will have on the upcoming US elections.

People who voted for 'Brexit' yesterday, need to indulge themselves in complete, utter self-criticism. For every economic and financial problem that is happening right now, one can not immediately hold up the blaimfinger towards the (establishment) governments. You voted for a 'Brexit', so you are also part of the establishment now; you are part of the problem as well.
    Well hope people are happy with what they voted for, this is a disaster.

I have to agree with that. I am also angry how European politicians behave these days. Men like Juncker, Schultz and Tusk need to talk with all the citizens of the EU. The worried citizens. Because our middle class is being destroyed in a fast rate. A middle class destruction, that reminds me of the 1920's and 1930's.

So indeed, European politicians forcefully need to say: "Dear people, we are sorry that we didn't listen to you!" It needs to be the driving force of upcoming summits about the future of the EU.

But, regardless of the current 'hate' aimed at the EU, a 'Remain' vote would have been the best of two bad voting options. The 24th of June 2016 is as historic as the 28th of June 1914. And like in 1914, it's a negative outcome as well. 'Brexit' will only facilitate a faster destruction of the middle class and will only enhance current far-right-wing and far-left-wing populist resentment in the Western World. Not to mention the influence this will have on the upcoming US elections.

People who voted for 'Brexit' yesterday, need to indulge themselves in complete, utter self-criticism. For every economic and financial problem that is happening right now, one can not immediately hold up the blaimfinger towards the (establishment) governments. You voted for a 'Brexit', so you are also part of the establishment now; you are part of the problem as well.

The 'establishment' were more in favour of Remain. The majority of MPs said they would vote remain.
    This will only be a disaster if we let it become one however change is afoot without DC as PM
    This will get ugly early to compare leaving the EU with a Divorce a lot of That's Mine & This is yours will be going on and as we all know the only people that win in this situation are the Lawyers .
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    So much doom and gloom, I'm guesing you guys did OK out of the EU :))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I usually don't care about politics; I lack the knowledge and insights to provide me with a decent understanding of the whole thing. Instinctively, I'm 'troubled' by the Brexit, if only because I know - not believe, but know - that the only way to fence off dramatic worldwide events caused by ourselves, is to decrease our global population, drop that ridiculous cultural pride (extreme nationalism, religious fundamentalism, ...) and unite as one people. That said, perhaps the EU's political models wasn't up to the task. Perhaps a multi-layered democracy wasn't a good way to handle things. But look, I know a thing or two about atoms and quarks, but I'm a tragic case of ignorance when it comes to politics.

That said, my gut feeling tells me Nigel Farage is a silly demagogue and a complete wanker.

The 'establishment' were more in favour of Remain. The majority of MPs said they would vote remain.

Ooowh yes. That's what I said. The thing is however, 'Brexit'voters voted for something very drastical, that most likely won't give them any solace or happiness within the next three years. So my point was: Be self-critical dear Brexit-voter. Do not violently blame the government for more problems in the upcoming years. Be wise and nuanced with your criticism, as bigger financial and economic problems will now be linked to a 'Brexit'-vote. You may have taken back your country, but not your welfare and prosperity.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    And that's what happens when you just ignore people's concerns and call them racist when they don't agree with you.

Every suit in Europe has a cold trickle of sweat running down his back right now.

It could have worked if you hadn't treated the public with such contempt but now the whole thing is going to come crashing down.

All those of you bemoaning the fact don't blame the British people. Blame the political classes who overlooked the fact that the British arent like the Europeans and never truly bought into the 'project'. We tolerated the waste, corruption and contempt for so long but at some point we were going to draw a line in the sand.

Even though I voted for it it gives me no pleasure that Brexit has won. But things had to change. Now come on Netherlands and Denmark. Maybe hook up with Sweden and Norway too. Get rid of Merkel and overjoyed to let Germany in as well.
    North Atlantic Trade Alliance has a certain ring to it I think.

PS - Cameron swiftly shows his true colours. Before the vote said it was his duty to implement whatever was decided. First thing he does is desert his post. Great display of classic British stiff upper lip and devotion to duty. And this is the guy who has been fighting our corner in Brussels? Pathetic.
    Dimi my friend you are so right "
    And that's what happens when you just ignore people's concerns and call them racist when they don't agree with you.

Every suit in Europe has a cold trickle of sweat running down his back right now.

It could have worked if you hadn't treated the public with such contempt but now the whole thing is going to come crashing down.

All those of you bemoaning the fact don't blame the British people. Blame the political classes who overlooked the fact that the British arent like the Europeans and never truly bought into the 'project'. We tolerated the waste, corruption and contempt for so long but at some point we were going to draw a line in the sand.

Even though I voted for it it gives me no pleasure that Brexit has won. But things had to change. Now come on Netherlands and Denmark. Maybe hook up with Sweden and Norway too. Get rid of Merkel and overjoyed to let Germany in as well.
    North Atlantic Trade Alliance has a certain ring to it I think.

PS - Cameron swiftly shows his true colours. Before the vote said it was his duty to implement whatever was decided. First thing he does is desert his post. Great display of classic British stiff upper lip and devotion to duty. And this is the guy who has been fighting our corner in Brussels? Pathetic.

Have you actually read my comments? I have always agreed with you on at least the part thet the EU needs to change. But what I don't agree with your assessment is the fact that the British shouldn't be blamed at least partially. From now on, the Brexit-voter is part of a new establishment and part of further economic and financial downfall.

And most importantly, at least from a Brexit-voter I expect a more nuanced tone now. Because make no mistake, the result basically was 50%/50%! Yes, the 'Remain'-vote lost, but stop ranting over them. You won, we lost.....now time to heal instead of creating more division.

So much doom and gloom, I'm guesing you guys did OK out of the EU :))

I personally did not do any better than anyone else for us being in the EU

However I have Allways felt that when it comes to Europe and being a member of the union that
    THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OUTWEIGH THE NEEDS OF THE FEW OR THE ONE
    sorry Spock that's the only time I will ever quote from Star Trek.
  • This was about the ordinary people, not big government/business, the stock market/sterling drop was only to be expected, for gods sake it's literally hours since the result, it's moving back up again already after the Bank of England intervened.

As to Scotland, good luck to them, if they vote to leave the union, it'll be wonderful to watch them flounder & their economy fail in the knowledge that we in England/Wales won't have to bail them out.

Where we've led the rest will follow.

EU Experiment R.I.P.
    I judge any organisation by how it treats the poorest, given how the people at
    the bottom have voted to leave, I'm guessing just like any establishment organisation
    the EU treated the people at the bottom with contempt.
    If the EU had have given Cameron something in his negotiations, we'd never have
    had a referendum, but through the Arrogance of the EU, the UK is the First to leave.
    This was about the ordinary people, not big government/business, the stock market/sterling drop was only to be expected, for gods sake it's literally hours since the result, it's moving back up again already after the Bank of England intervened.

As to Scotland, good luck to them, if they vote to leave the union, it'll be wonderful to watch them flounder & their economy fail in the knowledge that we in England/Wales won't have to bail them out.

Where we've led the rest will follow.

EU Experiment R.I.P.

It's indeed literally hours after the referendum, and you're treating Scotland (and Northern-Ireland) as a bunch of lunatics. I can't believe you actually like them to fail. Your remark only shows how violently divided the United Kingdom is. I find it dangerous.
    That's the great thing about democracy, sometimes the people don't vote the way you
    want ! :)) If Scotland wants to leave, then so be it, same for any UK region. If they think
    they can do better on their own.
    After all EU membership is not a given, as stated by the EU during the Scottish referendum
    they would have to apply for membership, which will take years.
    This day keeps on giving not only do we have to pick up the pieces of the aftermath of the vote
    But now that Pr!!k Trump has arrived in Scotland and its Raining again .
    Raining ? Well it is Scotland ! :P :D
This discussion has been closed.