The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I'm not there yet !.
    That's the great thing about democracy, sometimes the people don't vote the way you
    want ! :)) If Scotland wants to leave, then so be it, same for any UK region. If they think
    they can do better on their own.
    After all EU membership is not a given, as stated by the EU during the Scottish referendum
    they would have to apply for membership, which will take years.

You have heard of the Weimar Republic?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    My only concern is how is Bob Geldof going to handle the news ? :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well I really didn't expect the LEAVE side to win. I'm very relieved that they did though. Hopefully Boris Johnson will be the new Prime Minister and Conservative Party Leader in October as he was the one who led the UK out of the wilderness of the failing EU structures. Happy Independence Day to the UK!
    Oh yes the Weimar Republic look how much good came from that !!! .
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117
    This was about the ordinary people, not big government/business, the stock market/sterling drop was only to be expected, for gods sake it's literally hours since the result, it's moving back up again already after the Bank of England intervened.

As to Scotland, good luck to them, if they vote to leave the union, it'll be wonderful to watch them flounder & their economy fail in the knowledge that we in England/Wales won't have to bail them out.

Where we've led the rest will follow.

EU Experiment R.I.P.

Well said mate.

Everyone banging on about the pound plunging. Well it's already come back up about a third of what it dropped.

And how's the Euro doing? Spain and Italy markets down by 10%! Why would that be if they weren't leeching off us? Practically an admission of guilt.

Gustav is right though about one thing. We need to get our shit together now. Boris as PM seems inevitable now (who else is there?). Those people equating him with Trump are being somewhat disingenuous. Yes it sounds funny but Boris is far shrewder than that clown.

At the start of all this Remain had a lead of about 60/40. Boris went ahead and backed Leave. If he had lost his career would be over after so vocally challenging the PM. But he didn't lose. And now he's in pole position for the top job. Don't underestimate Boris. He's unconventional (a big plus in this day and age) and he comes across as bumbling (a carefully cultivated public image - I've seen him at work close up and behind the scenes with no cameras) but he's a winner and that's what we need right now, not another bland suit like the Cameron's and Osbornes of the world.

I doubt he will be there for the long term but to get us through these choppy waters who else is there?

• RC7RC7
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Well I really didn't expect the LEAVE side to win. I'm very relieved that they did though. Hopefully Boris Johnson will be the new Prime Minister and Conservative Party Leader in October as he was the one who led the UK out of the wilderness of the failing EU structures. Happy Independence Day to the UK!

The guy is a snake. Look at me, with my bluster and my silly hair and my bicycle. Dangerous man. If May doesn't get it, I might consider moving back to the motherland.
    Nice to se the remain arguments are as current and up to date as always :))
    I'm waiting for someone to mention a cave painting as an example. :P
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Oh yes the Weimar Republic look how much good came from that !!! .

Yes, but it had a democracy in its purest form. Until 1933. When 'the people' said "Enough is enough!".

In many ways, the Weimar Republic reminds me in some aspects about the current United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weimar_Republic

edited June 2016 Posts: 17,830
    Nice to se the remain arguments are as current and up to date as always :))
    I'm waiting for someone to mention a cave painting as an example. :P

The Weimar Republic was a fledgling German democracy. The UK Parliament is the mother of democracy and that parliament is again sovereign. Apart from being great hyperbole, where are the similarities between the two? What a slight to the name of Britain that is! Despicable stuff.
    Gustav what are you smoking? Can I have some.
    Apparently there is a campaign on the web, to have another vote. :))
    I think the idea there is to keep voting, until the people vote the right way ;)
    My only concern is how is Bob Geldof going to handle the news ? :))

Hopefully he'll handle it by leaving the UK for good...

But we need Bob, to tells us what to feel concerned about, without him to guide me,
    I wouldn't know who to show my compassion to. :D
    But we need Bob, to tells us what to feel concerned about, without him to guide me,
    I wouldn't know who to show my compassion to. :D

Yes, how did we mange to get to this age without him? :D
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    And that's what happens when you just ignore people's concerns and call them racist when they don't agree with you.

Every suit in Europe has a cold trickle of sweat running down his back right now.

It could have worked if you hadn't treated the public with such contempt but now the whole thing is going to come crashing down.

All those of you bemoaning the fact don't blame the British people. Blame the political classes who overlooked the fact that the British arent like the Europeans and never truly bought into the 'project'. We tolerated the waste, corruption and contempt for so long but at some point we were going to draw a line in the sand.

Even though I voted for it it gives me no pleasure that Brexit has won. But things had to change. Now come on Netherlands and Denmark. Maybe hook up with Sweden and Norway too. Get rid of Merkel and overjoyed to let Germany in as well.
    North Atlantic Trade Alliance has a certain ring to it I think.

PS - Cameron swiftly shows his true colours. Before the vote said it was his duty to implement whatever was decided. First thing he does is desert his post. Great display of classic British stiff upper lip and devotion to duty. And this is the guy who has been fighting our corner in Brussels? Pathetic.

That's the most sensible thing I've read all morning
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2016/jun/14/labour-supporters-brexit-stoke-on-trent-eu-referendum-video
    I posted this video a couple of weeks ago, watch it again and see exactly what the issues were, this hits the nail on the head. Well off, middle class, metropolitan profesionals voting in, the abandoned working class voting out. You can trace the roots of this back to Blair and New Labour
    ^ Well now at least the voice of the abandoned working class has been heard loud and clear throughout the land.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

The guy is a snake. Look at me, with my bluster and my silly hair and my bicycle. Dangerous man. If May doesn't get it, I might consider moving back to the motherland.

There seems to be a pattern with current-day right-wing populists. They all have a fascination for their looks:

Geert Wilders dyed his darkbrown hair blond/grey:
    Naamloos.jpg
    Wilders20jaar.png

Donald Trump has his own peculiar hairdo:
    0x600.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

Nigel Farage and Pim Fortuyn share a love for big, double-breasted suits with colorful ties:
    c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b-1413740511.jpg
    151714.jpg

Boris Johnson's hairdo is equally impressive:
    Untitled-12.jpg
    Yes, the forgotten people have spoken =D>
    At the end of the day people need to heed the words of the late Michael Winner and 'Calm down'.

I've lived through numerous Black Mondays, Wendnesdays and Fridays. I've lived through at least 3 recessions. Never really noticed much difference to be honest. Life just carries on, there's no fighting in the streets. This is Britain not Uganda.
    Judging politicians/human beings by their hair - a new political science? How deep.
    Standby for the Battle of the Cowshed .
    It's a load of follicles :D
    It's a load of follicles :D
    Hair Hair well said that man.
  • RC7RC7
    At the end of the day people need to heed the words of the late Michael Winner and 'Calm down'.

I've lived through numerous Black Mondays, Wendnesdays and Fridays. I've lived through at least 3 recessions. Never really noticed much difference to be honest. Life just carries on, there's no fighting in the streets. This is Britain not Uganda.

Very true.

The fact is, that you and @SpectreNumberTwo are not calming down with your posts; posts that don't exactly prevail in nuance:
    This was about the ordinary people, not big government/business, the stock market/sterling drop was only to be expected, for gods sake it's literally hours since the result, it's moving back up again already after the Bank of England intervened.

As to Scotland, good luck to them, if they vote to leave the union, it'll be wonderful to watch them flounder & their economy fail in the knowledge that we in England/Wales won't have to bail them out.

EU Experiment R.I.P.

It's indeed literally hours after the referendum, and you're treating Scotland (and Northern-Ireland) as a bunch of lunatics. I can't believe you actually like them to fail. Your remark only shows how violently divided the United Kingdom is. I find it dangerous.

Yes, lets just enjoy our "Independence Day" <:-P although in my speech I'd have used
    another famous movie quote to the EU,
    "Yippie Ki yay, Mother F*ckers !" :))

The fact is, that you and @SpectreNumberTwo are not calming down with your posts; posts that don't exactly prevail in nuance:

EU Experiment R.I.P.

It's indeed literally hours after the referendum, and you're treating Scotland (and Northern-Ireland) as a bunch of lunatics. I can't believe you actually like them to fail. Your remark only shows how violently divided the United Kingdom is. I find it dangerous.

Unlike your nuanced 'politicians barnet top 10' which I hear Newsnight are interested in buying the IP for to help with their analysis.
  • At the end of the day people need to heed the words of the late Michael Winner and 'Calm down'.

EU Experiment R.I.P.

The Wizard & I have both lived through economic turmoil before, the world will not end tomorrow, there will be changes yes, but when the dust settles most will not notice, when all the hullabaloo dies down life will go on, trust me.
This discussion has been closed.