The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

1565758596062»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I would think the immediate concern is possible inflationary pressure due to the fall in sterling. Price increases in imported goods are likely soon.
    stag wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    stag wrote: »
    @Getafix

For the third time I post the following question:

May I ask if you actively campaigned during the referendum? Did you get out and about to speak to people about their reasons for wishing to leave or remain in the EU? Explain fully please the correlation between your campaigning experience and your notion that the people were somehow brainwashed as personally I'd be most interested to read it.

I hope it gets answered this time - third time lucky and all that. Thank you.

I was living overseas at the time of the referendum and did not campaign on the streets.

Thank you for that.

I think I have already pointed out that I was active in the 'leave' campaign and as a result did speak to many people. There were a myriad of reasons why they were going to vote in or out but - in my personal experience - it definitely wasn't as black or white as most people attempt to portray.

I think this is the same point I was making - people who voted to leave did so for a wide variety of reasons. Many of them (inevitably) had wildly exaggerated expectations of what lesving would achieve.
    Getafix wrote: »

I think this is the same point I was making - people who voted to leave did so for a wide variety of reasons. Many of them (inevitably) had wildly exaggerated expectations of what lesving would achieve.

The people will be gratified or disappointed when Brexit will take place for real and when the consequences will be shown. We shall see I am more distressed seeing the blind hatred that seems to be aimed at other people than Brits, blatant racism is on the rise and fact free arguments as well. The leave side promised a lot they never could and would deliver and the remain side would see their arguments thrown into the fear mongering aspect. That was bound to happen as they never did start a decent discussion or movement with arguments for a remain until they noticed they might lose the referendum. And by that time they had lost a lot a believably out of sheer complacency and arrogance.

What did shock me most however was the fact that Uk government wanted to bypass parliament into invoking article 50 and thereby ignoring any democratic grounds for a Brexit and thus splitting the country once again in two. May and friends do seem to aim at a powerplay instead of a uniting option by engaging the democracy they claim to represent. It shows the same flaw they blame the EU for to begin with.

I do hope we get a decent working relationship with the UK as the US will do a lot of business straight with the EU and bypass the UK altogether as the gains importing through them are lost.

Meanwhile, I got a chuckle seeing this at the local WH Smith while picking up the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3YkkDAdhWBcKVfOQ07YQR2_zrbPnzmoZLOJ3amRYJGcBFHNxQ

Part of a series which also features "Five Go Parenting", "Five go Gluten-Free", "Five Give Up the Booze", and "Five go on a Strategy Away Day".
    A very very hard Brexit. But that's what I've said many times before in here.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2017 Posts: 17,805

It's all to the good of the UK. I'm glad that you approve.
  • GBFGBF
    We will see, still there is much uncertainty but I think a compromise will be found...

However, I still think that the UK is in the worse negotiation position. The EU may lose access to a market of around 60 million people, whereas the UK will lose access to 450 million people. It is a very assymetric negotiation. If it is about the details on trade regulation, I guess that the EU has an advantage. And the UK simply will have something to offer. In the long run, the biggest problem could be that multinational enterprises will reconcieder their investment decision and location choice and move to Dublin or other European cities.

I further wonder if Britains are aware that they are citizens of a union of nations themselves which also have different interests. It was quite amusing when PM May mentioned yesterday how important it is that the four nations stay together and don't work against each other in the negotiation process. However, it is not unrealistic that the Scotts buy following their own interests will mainly work against the PM.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It's all too the good of the UK. I'm glad that you approve.

That has yet to be determined. It all depends on an EU-like free trade deal (with the same tarifs that the UK is enjoying now, or one that will have much higher tarifs) that the UK and the EU will negotiate about.
    I think the Trump US trade deal for Britain has effected the rhetoric between Britain and the EU! Fascinating stuff!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Exit politics. Thanks to all for participating.
This discussion has been closed.