The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited July 2016 Posts: 10,512
    @Gustav_Graves you're not going to win the argument when you try to empathise with a nation you will never understand. Your really becoming irksome having bought so heavily into the media/establishment circus of fear, If your worried about the future, stick to your concerns about the Netherlands or Spain where you live, but don't keep banging on about feeling for the British people, it's getting really quite conderscending.

This kind of British supremacy irritates me. As if the British poor people are 'different' from Dutch poor people. As if the British middle class is enormously different from Dutch middle class citizens. Ughhhhh......

I don't think it's a supremacist view. We're pretty stoic here. I don't sense any real panic. I know southern europeans are more emotional creatures, but we're cool here, we don't need anyone to panic on our behalf.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    @Gustav_Graves you're not going to win the argument when you try to empathise with a nation you will never understand. Your really becoming irksome having bought so heavily into the media/establishment circus of fear, If your worried about the future, stick to your concerns about the Netherlands or Spain where you live, but don't keep banging on about feeling for the British people, it's getting really quite conderscending.

This kind of British supremacy irritates me. As if the British poor people are 'different' from Dutch poor people. As if the British middle class is enormously different from Dutch middle class citizens. Ughhhhh......

Empathy? You mean like this:

I would love to steal away all these big enterprises and banks from London and hoping that they relocate their offices to Amsterdam....

...UK is out. And it's for The Netherlands interests to 'steal away' all economy and relocate it to the Low Lands.

You are alone now.

That's what I like to hear from our European partners. Good to know we've got you on our side mate! With people like you and spineless Cameron looking out for us is it any wonder people voted leave?

We don't really need any empathy thanks anyway. If anything it's you lot who need it shackled as you are to failing states like Greece and having Merkel telling you what to do for the foreseeable.

I think most people here are pretty chilled out about it anyway but you're still happily ensconced in the EU bosom so what are you panicking about? You need to have a brandy or a valium because I'm seriously worried you might have a stroke.
    I like your passion, Gustav. We can use you in the U.S. Keep up the fight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    A head has to roll on the EU side to at least give the perception/impression of reform. I'm quite sure it will be Juncker (and not a moment too soon). Certainly before next year's elections in France.

Regarding Brexit, I'm increasingly of the opinion that a deal will be concocted which will give the UK pretty much all the rights it has now, but perhaps a few minor scraps will be thrown in the direction of 'free movement' to appease the Brexiters. It will be membership in everything but name. A face saving scenario for all concerned while still respecting the results of the referendum.

It may take some time to get to that eventuality however. More posturing in the meanwhile by everyone.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 389

Mod edit: swearing removed. So you basically say ... with your empathy! This kind of British supremacy irritates me. As if the British poor people are 'different' from Dutch poor people. As if the British middle class is enormously different from Dutch middle class citizens. Ughhhhh......

Watch it sonny, I've developed a certain skill set honed over years in conflict, I will track you I will find you & I will PIE you.

:D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,827

Mod edit: swearing removed. So you basically say ... with your empathy! This kind of British supremacy irritates me. As if the British poor people are 'different' from Dutch poor people. As if the British middle class is enormously different from Dutch middle class citizens. Ughhhhh......

Yes, I imagine if they hold the views you seem to on the EU that they are indeed totally different. How can you just freely assume that the British and the Dutch are the same if you've never lived in the UK? It seems to be just one gerneralisation after another with you sadly rather substantive debate. Please also bear in mind that a little knowledge [in this case of the British] is a dangerous thing...
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, I imagine if they hold the views you seem to on the EU that they are indeed totally different. How can you just freely assume that the British and the Dutch are the same if you've never lived in the UK? It seems to be just one gerneralisation after another with you sadly rather substantive debate. Bear in mind that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Well I don't know about you Draggers but I spend most of my time shagging prostitutes, smoking a massive dooby, wearing clogs and watching the national team being beaten by Iceland.

(sadly only the last one of those is true. Pity as I reckon life is complete once you own a pair of clogs)

Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, I imagine if they hold the views you seem to on the EU that they are indeed totally different. How can you just freely assume that the British and the Dutch are the same if you've never lived in the UK? It seems to be just one gerneralisation after another with you sadly rather substantive debate. Bear in mind that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Well I don't know about you Draggers but I spend most of my time shagging prostitutes, smoking a massive dooby and wearing clogs.

As do I. Dutch ancestry there too then? :))
    FLeiter wrote: »
    I like your passion, Gustav. We can use you in the U.S. Keep up the fight.

If one receives a blatantly unsensitive email from his own employer stating:
    "the IRS is attempting to collect an outstanding amount of € 1,600 from your bank account. As of the end of this month we will deduct your wage with this total outstanding amount"

......one HAS to become passionate, one HAS to fight. I only earn around € 1,500 a month, so you can understand I was entirely in tears today. It basically means that, at least for now, I do not receive ANY wage at all at the end of the month.

THIS is what happens in a country -Spain- that is forced to cash in as much as money from ordinary citizens, because the country is strangled by the IMF and Central Banks for its huge debt.

I personally know I made a mistake. And I need to pay for that. I am -and people in here know that- suffering from Asperger Syndrom, thus I am not as fast as others with overseeing consequences of my own actions, both at work and in my private life. But I do know that in my native country The Netherlands you have ample time to protect yourself from things like I witnessed today.

In my country consumers are better protected than Spain. In my country the financial situation isn't as dire as in Spain. In my native country 'ordinary citizens' are properly warned for situations like the one I witnessed today. In my native country the law protects the consumers much better as here! And I do know that the EU can help me with that (http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=82 , http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=URISERV:c11111 , http://europa.eu/pol/pdf/flipbook/nl/employment_nl.pdf & http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/pdf/text_nl.pdf)

But ALL I HEAR from The Netherlands are screams like "Immigrants destroy our country!" and "The EU destroys our lifes!", when realism, objectiveness, and rationalism keep being destroyed by fear, xenophobia and emotions.

You all can say "Go to your own country and empathize with your own people!". But if a person like me is UNABLE to save money, UNABLE to feel happiness in life, and still understands that most of his problems are in part caused by his own decisions in life, then I think I have every right to empathize with those Europeans who feel hardships in their lifes!

And no matter how fff-ed up certain countries, certain unions and certain institutions are, I grab my worries, become self-critical, swallow up my tears and try to tackle my problems in a positive-spirited way. So I have EVERY right to EMPATHIZE, and frankly I think people can learn from a Dutch ordinary guy, who keeps struggling in a shithole like Spain, who tries to use some EU-laws that address my case because Spain doesn't and who therefore has some unique perspective on the very aspect of internationalism!

Right now I'm crying. Hugely. But I'm a fighter! :(

So do not DARE to say that I should f%$k up and empathize 'with my own people'! :(

Thank you for your nice words @FLeiter
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,691
    when realism, objectiveness, and rationalism keep being destroyed by fear

Are you talking about yourself, there? That's what you've been doing in this thread for the last 40 pages or so. And that's what the Pro-EU side has been doing for months, so maybe you were backing the wrong side, if you don't like such behaviour.

• @Gustav_Graves, calm down man, you'll have a bloody heart attack, life may seem shit but you don't have to take it out on people here.
    Light some joss sticks, put on a little whale song, rearrange your chakras, and
    Breath, ....... Breath all that negativity out ! :D
    Its all Brexit's fault.

It's scientifically proven that voting Brexit caused the holocaust, the poles to melt and Diana to crash isn't it?
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053
    Gustav, are you absolutely sure the email regarding unpaid taxes is genuine & not some online scam? It seem mighty strange to me. You should have heard from the tax people themselves & - as far as I can gather the Spanish tax office isn't called IRS. I'm not familiar with Spanish tax office protocols but I would guess that the authorities would notify & work with you to resolve this matter long before they raided your account or asked an employer to deduct any monies they say is due to them.

If I were you I would contact the tax authorities directly to see if this is correct &/or begin a dialogue to resolve this matter in such a way which does not see any monies owed being taken in one lump sum.

Hang in there, Gustav. As my mother would say "we measure hearts in this family" and yours is in the right place. Everything will work out.

I got a couple interesting emails the other day too. In the first, apparently a Nigerian prince(who I don't recall meeting} has money he wants to give me, if I send him money for a plane ticket. I think I'll pass. In the second a group of Chinese virgins(who I don't recall meeting) want to marry me, if I send them alot of money for first class airline tickets. I'm checking on seat availability right now.

Brexit will be resolved and you'll come out on top. Keep us posted on how it's going.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Gustav as @stag has said, try to calm down, and before you panic any further, go talk to your employer about this. Get some local help. And, perhaps, don't concearn yourself too much with international problems, when you've got your own to sort out. You can't solve the international ones but they do press you down, when you need to focus on your own situation. I promise you Rome (Brussels, sorry) won't be burning tomorrow, there's plenty of time to get yourself sorted first and worry about the rest of the world later.

@FLeiter how many girls did you order? And was one called Chew Me?
    I know in the UK HMRC , have made several public statements, stating how
    they Never send emails, it will always be a letter. I get lots of "HMRC" emails telling me
    I'm due a refund etc...... I just delete them.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Any government corrsepondence on 'tax' matters would be directly by mail, not phone or email.

However, it's possible that an employer can get involved if commanded to by the Revenue Agency. We don't know all the details here.

Regardless, chin up @Gustav_Graves. These things sort themselves out and at the end of the day life goes on.
    @Gustav as @stag has said, try to calm down, and before you panic any further, go talk to your employer about this. Get some local help. And, perhaps, don't concearn yourself too much with international problems, when you've got your own to sort out. You can't solve the international ones but they do press you down, when you need to focus on your own situation. I promise you Rome (Brussels, sorry) won't be burning tomorrow, there's plenty of time to get yourself sorted first and worry about the rest of the world later.

@FLeiter how many girls did you order? And was one called Chew Me?[/quote]

HA! I see what you did there. Nicely done. No Chew Me. but there are twins. Me Love You Long Time wants to know how many swimming pools I have and Me So Horny says she wants a red Maserati convertible or she's staying put. I think you may have to do some vetting on the lot of them before I go any further
    Well.....what shall I say. Yesterday I went home earlier. As there are no roads/lanes for pedestrians in rural suburbs of Barcelona, I had to walk alongside busy motorways....and crossing a bridge. Well, that moment when you stare down......
    As other members of this forum have told you, are you sure it's your employer who sent you that E-Mail ? Because it looks very fishi to me as well. Contact them ASAP. Because that's the first time I've heard of something like that happening.
    Gerard wrote: »
    As other members of this forum have told you, are you sure it's your employer who sent you that E-Mail ? Because it looks very fishi to me as well. Contact them ASAP. Because that's the first time I've heard of something like that happening.

It is man. I actually know her. The HR department from Xerox is located in Romania.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053
    Gerard wrote: »

It is man. I actually know her. The HR department from Xerox is located in Romania.

Gustav forget her & contact your local tax office without delay. There's sure to be one in Barcelona. It should have been a long process (a process in which you would have been involved) before any such punitive measures were considered. If indeed this is the first you have heard of this then you must assume there is something wrong - & not with your tax affairs either. Scammers are clever. Contact the tax people then, if necessary, the police before any funds are withheld.

Added as an edit: Have you received any letters (not emails) from the tax people? Do you know why they want this money from you?

All this sounds very suspicious to me. I've found some reading for you on how the British authorities would approach a matter such as this. I find it difficult to believe that the Spanish would not have similar procedures.

http://www.taxjournal.com/tj/articles/hmrc-s-powers-collect-tax-debts-19022015

Its all Brexit's fault.

It's scientifically proven that voting Brexit caused the holocaust, the poles to melt and Diana to crash isn't it?

Of course and naturally World War III is on its way soon - we're all doomed. Doomed, I tell you! 8-X
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,619
    [deleted]
    My favourite tweet about the resignations is this:

Everyone's quitting at the moment:

Chris Evans – Ginger
    David Cameron – Posh
    Roy Hodgson – Sporty
    Boris Johnson – Baby
    Nigel Farage – Scary
    :))
    SaintMark wrote: »
    My favourite tweet about the resignations is this:

Everyone's quitting at the moment:

Chris Evans – Ginger
    David Cameron – Posh
    Roy Hodgson – Sporty
    Boris Johnson – Baby
    Nigel Farage – Scary

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the Spice Girls would have done a better job.

Oh and Boris is Pudgy Spice.
This discussion has been closed.