What is your breaking point that would make you stop being a Bond fan.

Comments

I thought this would help make things a bit easier. Here's a recent pic of all the actors

(I'm assuming I got the right Sonny Robertson? If we're still entertaining that one....)

Untitled-2_zpsqb5mq5zc.jpg~original
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Nicely done @Master_Dahark. That confirms that Hiddle & Fassbe are my top choices by a long shot.

Having said that, nearly all of the others could work, purely on the basis of the photos, except for Sonny Robertson. Who is this chap? Somewhat unsuitable imho, at least from that photo. Tom Hughes looks younger than he is, which could be a positive.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have to guess those who dislike an Irish Actor, wouldn't be fans of Idris either. Next
    thing on the boys checklist, I assume would be if any of the actors are Jewish ? :))
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

I have to guess those who dislike an Irish Actor, wouldn't be fans of Idris either. Next
    thing on the boys checklist, I assume would be if any of the actors are Jewish ? :))

Elba isn't a consideration as Bond is white. Religion is irrelevant.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,483

Why you're a regular Bob Hope.

Irregular, surely ? :D
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I thought this would help make things a bit easier. Here's a recent pic of all the actors

(I'm assuming I got the right Sonny Robertson? If we're still entertaining that one....)

Untitled-2_zpsqb5mq5zc.jpg~original

I can't believe what a turn around I have made in my opinion but I'm really hoping for Hiddleston.

Oh and yes very nice job on the portraits. Clever.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    For me it's about where can the series go and who can best bring them there. I fear Fassbender is slowly becoming the new Clive Owen not in terms of acting abilities but in terms of an actor everyone wants as bond yet he probably won't get it. But then again Turner seems to be very much in the Owen role as well

I never understood the appeal of Clive Owen as Bond. He is a capable actor, but I could never see him as Bond. He looks too much like a drunken boxer.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'll admit to not being fond of Brosnan's Irish twang that seeped in during his Bond tenure, particularly in the 2nd half of TND, which I watched recently.

It was not so much his twang that I didn't like but his voice. He did not have the virile baritone voice they all had to a degree.
    No need to worry the next Bond has a very English accent ;) and went to Eaton and
    Cambridge ( Rather like our film hero ) even having a Scottish father. :D
    No need to worry the next Bond has a very English accent ;) and went to Eaton and
    Hopefully Babs realizes there can only be one man for the job of the 007th Bond. The story almost writes itself.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'll admit to not being fond of Brosnan's Irish twang that seeped in during his Bond tenure, particularly in the 2nd half of TND, which I watched recently.

It was not so much his twang that I didn't like but his voice. He did not have the virile baritone voice they all had to a degree.
    Yes, I agree with this as well. I never noticed that this was affecting my impression until I saw it mentioned here, by NicNac I think. I now realize how important voice is.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Yes Tom Hiddleston is the right choice. Agreed.
    Hopefully Babs realizes there can only be one man for the job of the 007th Bond. The story almost writes itself.

Yes, I agree with this as well. I never noticed that this was affecting my impression until I saw it mentioned here, by NicNac I think. I now realize how important voice is.

If not thread has been done about it, I might start one about the voice of Bond. Who had the best (Connery I think), the worst (Brosnan), and who among the potential Bonds have the best voices.

It came to my mind when I read the TV Tropes entry on "Badass Baritone". When I was looking at the entry on Mozart's Don Giovanni. And I think I mentioned it before, but some British baritones, had they been actors instead of opera singers, could or could have made great James Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    suavejmf wrote: »

Elba isn't a consideration as Bond is white. Religion is irrelevant.
    Agreed. Bond has never identified himself with any religion. I'd like to think he's agnostic, or just careless. Not an atheist, nor religious. Although, his familial roots I believe have been Protestants? Not that it matters...
    I an truly dumbfounded that that joke went over so many heads #-o
    Well as long as he isn't foreign. Can't have that.
    Exactly Nigel. ;)
    Exactly Nigel. ;)
    Touché
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Everybody is foreign someplace.
    Not if you're British ! ( Only others are foreign ) :D
    Just having a bit of fun drawing on an earlier post on this thread. I'm open to Jon Hamm so within reason anyone goes with me. I draw the line at Bell though, English or not.
    I have no problem with anyone playing Bond, so long as they can do a passable
    British accent, and can carry themselves with a swagger. :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A poll on IMDB has the usual silly entrants. But a few shocks to go with it...
    http://www.imdb.com/poll/ZIVV7VpiGLA/results?answer=7&ref_=po_nr

At present...
    1. Tom Hardy
    2. Idris Elba
    3. Tom Hiddleston
    4. Michael Fassbender
    5. Emilia Clarke
    6. Clive Owen
    7. Christian Bale
    8. Danny DeVito =))
    9. Dan Stevens
    10. Gillian Anderson
    11. Damian Lewis
    12. Luke Evans
    13. Jennifer Lawrence
    14. Matthew Goode
    15. Richard Armitage
    16. James McAvoy
    17. Andrew Lincoln
    18. Theo James
    19. Priyanka Chopra
    20. Aidan Turner
    26. Timothy Dalton
    29. Roger Moore
    30. Jack O'Connell
    33. Jack Huston

Obviously this carries no weight and is all made a little fun. But I was surprised to see Aidan Turner so low. Maybe he's not as desirable as the tabloids and bookmakers make out.
    I vote for Melissa McCarthy!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Danny Devito huh? Sold! ;)
    profile_danny-devito.jpg
    In near future, my dog will also be able to play Bond. Oh my... we consider ourselves earthlings, you racist sexists animalophobics! =))
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

If not thread has been done about it, I might start one about the voice of Bond. Who had the best (Connery I think), the worst (Brosnan), and who among the potential Bonds have the best voices.

It came to my mind when I read the TV Tropes entry on "Badass Baritone". When I was looking at the entry on Mozart's Don Giovanni. And I think I mentioned it before, but some British baritones, had they been actors instead of opera singers, could or could have made great James Bond.

I guess im the only one who liked Pierce Brosnan 's voice very much.

Deep and soft at the same time, actually his voice is part of ehy if find him so sexy and thats for another thread but sex appeal or attractiveness department is a huge deal for me its like 90% of the importance for me in a Bond actor.

I also liked very much Sean Connery and Daniel Craig 's voice who make my second and third place in attractiveness ir how sexy i find them.

I couldn't hear anything wrong with it either. :)
    I do admit that even though Brosnan is among my favourite Bonds, I was never a fan of his voice. But, then again, I don't have a problem with it because he just makes it go smooth with his performance. I really would've preferred though that Brosnan had a voice like Connery's or Moore's.
    I have a feeling this is the reason his Irish accent started to come through. He may have been trying to compensate. In GE & the earlier part of TND I didn't notice it, but he spoke quite softly. When he projected his voice more, as he did in the later years, the accent was more apparent.
    Sadly Sir Sean's voice is a one off. :D