What is your breaking point that would make you stop being a Bond fan.

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Brosnan was the one and only Bond that was plebiscited. I don't even think Roger Moore had it that easy when he was cast. And Moore didn't have to audition! I think Craig truly changed our perspective regarding the casting of Bond. He was off the radar, at least to the general public, the announcement of him winning the role was met with scepticism if not hostility, yet he proved the sceptics wrong with the first teaser trailer. My bet is that they'll take someone unknown and right mow off the radar. His casting may not be as controversial as Craig's but I doubt he'll be as welcomed as Brosnan was when announced.

Craig was relatively known at the time, at least on par with Turner's name.
    Brosnan was the one and only Bond that was plebiscited. I don't even think Roger Moore had it that easy when he was cast. And Moore didn't have to audition! I think Craig truly changed our perspective regarding the casting of Bond. He was off the radar, at least to the general public, the announcement of him winning the role was met with scepticism if not hostility, yet he proved the sceptics wrong with the first teaser trailer. My bet is that they'll take someone unknown and right mow off the radar. His casting may not be as controversial as Craig's but I doubt he'll be as welcomed as Brosnan was when announced.

I would have to agree. Craig was, at least on some level, a known quantity. He'd already worked with some of the best directors out there (Mendes, Spielberg) and had a reputation as an excellent actor, even if at the time it was mainly in supporting roles. I don't think that Turner has, at this point in his career, the same kind of recognition that Craig did at the time he was courted for Bond. Not even close.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    And Hiddleston does.
    He also worked with Spielberg, as well as Woody Allen.
    He had a big role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. A multi billion dollar franchise.

Looking at it like any other job, Hiddleston would have simply more 'job expirience' and because of that would be more desirable than Turner, who i think will get there eventually but isn't yet. But that might be enough for Babs.
    I would be fine either way, as i think both those guys would be a fine choice.
    It all depends on the direction of the next movie.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    As far as fame goes, I don't really care if it's an unknown actor or not. Like I've said elsewhere, I'd sign Fassbender up immediately (regardless of his age/status etc.) because I believe he'd be great in the role. On the other hand, and Babs obviously knows this, if someone who is relatively unknown is right for the part, then give it to them. How many of you would prefer an unknown entity?
    dalton wrote: »

I would have to agree. Craig was, at least on some level, a known quantity. He'd already worked with some of the best directors out there (Mendes, Spielberg) and had a reputation as an excellent actor, even if at the time it was mainly in supporting roles. I don't think that Turner has, at this point in his career, the same kind of recognition that Craig did at the time he was courted for Bond. Not even close.

Not that much in the general public though. He was a veteran actor who had been noticed in some roles, most of them secondary, he was not a star. In any case he was way further off the radar than, say, Clive Owen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    pachazo wrote: »
    As far as fame goes, I don't really care if it's an unknown actor or not. Like I've said elsewhere, I'd sign Fassbender up immediately (regardless of his age/status etc.) because I believe he'd be great in the role. On the other hand, and Babs obviously knows this, if someone who is relatively unknown is right for the part, then give it to them. How many of you would prefer an unknown entity?
    I agree. It doesn't bother me either way really.

None of the reported contenders are all that iconically famous for specific roles anyway, unlike say Waltz was for Landa, so I'm sure they could very readily make the role of Bond their own and be believable as 007.

So both famous or unknown is fine with me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    1979 Luke Evans - 2
    1977 Michael Fassbender - 13
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 13
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 16
    1986 Tom Hughes - 1
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Had to google Hughes. Please Amun, no! Cast him in a Twilight film instead.
    Had to google Hughes.
    Me too! He looks like he could be Q's brother no.gif

Films_3-1_jpg_162923t.jpg

Also I retracted my vote for Ewan- I hadn't realized until I put him with the rest of the list that he's older than everyone, and plus it just wasn't realistic. Put me down for Aidan Turner. He could be Dalton 2.0 if he plays his cards right!

1979 Luke Evans - 2
    1977 Michael Fassbender - 13
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 14
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 16
    1986 Tom Hughes - 1

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    He was brilliant in " The Game" a BBC 70s spy series.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,341
    Idris Elba
    Michael Fassbender
    Michiel Huisman
    Henry Cavill
    and to make it interesting as a female 007:

Adrianne Palicki (provided they give her dark hair like she had in that Keanu Reeves movie. She was smoking kick ass hot. )
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,043
    He was brilliant in the Game, that's where I first spotted him.

Typical people look at him and assume he's something instead of actually knowing his background.
  • I've greatly enjoyed the David Niven discussion. Ultimately I don't think it matters a hoot about a good actor's background. It is what he is able to portray on the stage or screen that matters. Nothing else. Film captures the moment not the life story. When Roger Moore glides into a bar in a Bond film, you don't think "he's a policeman's son from Stockwell". Same sort of thing with Cary Grant. Some actors can produce magic on screen, others can't. That should probably be the discussion, in my opinion.

I have a hunch that Turner has pulled out ahead in the Bond stakes. I'm only basing this on wild rumours (which I can't substantiate, of course - it's gossip more than anything else and should be treated as such) that Hiddlestone, for certain reasons, has slipped a bit recently.

But who knows? I'd be happy with either Turner or Hiddlestone. We are in the silly season at the moment.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'd be more than happy with Hiddlestone after seeing The Night Manager. I wouldn't be happy with Turner, a boring (and Irish) casting choice.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I'd be more than happy with Hiddlestone after seeing The Night Manager. I wouldn't be happy with Turner, a boring (and Irish) casting choice.

I'm pretty much the same. I can live with Hiddleston, even though he's far from my first choice for the role, as I think he might bring something interesting to it. I can't say that I have any desire to see Turner take on the role, though.
    I too think Hiddleston will get the role of 007, I'd also be happy with Turner =D>
    can't se why @Suavejmf has a problem with Irish people ? but bigotry comes in
    all forms I guess. :(
    Fame is a relative concept, but I'd say big stars bring a certain baggage and notoriety that might not serve the role. I personally prefer an actor who becomes famous being Bond. And young enough to play him for a while.
    For me it's about where can the series go and who can best bring them there. I fear Fassbender is slowly becoming the new Clive Owen not in terms of acting abilities but in terms of an actor everyone wants as bond yet he probably won't get it. But then again Turner seems to be very much in the Owen role as well
    I too think Hiddleston will get the role of 007, I'd also be happy with Turner =D>
    can't se why @Suavejmf has a problem with Irish people ? but bigotry comes in
    all forms I guess. :(

Because he has a clear Irish lint to his accent and I don't find his English accent convincing. That's all. He also looks foreign in some photos.
    Even Fleming said Bond looked "Foreign " , also Fassbender is half Irish, so
    I guess he's out too. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    This so-called "announcement" can't come soon enough. ;)
    I'm ok with "foreign" personally, but Turner is not my top pick.
    Hiddleston is the new 007, " I can feel it in my blood and in my bones" ;)
    Even Fleming said Bond looked "Foreign " , also Fassbender is half Irish, so
    I guess he's out too. ;)

What passage/ novel did Fleming state this? No Fassbender doesn't look non British and his English accent is flawless so he's ok.
    Hiddleston is the new 007, " I can feel it in my blood and in my bones" ;)

If it happens what do your blood and bones say about next week lotto numbers

Oh, I'm sure you've read the books as much as I, ;) it will be a nice suprise, when the phrase
    pops out.
    I think when the time is right they are going to surprise us like they did when Dalton and Craig were announced. They will pick a talented actor but not a well known one.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'll admit to not being fond of Brosnan's Irish twang that seeped in during his Bond tenure, particularly in the 2nd half of TND, which I watched recently.
    I'm guessing Dalton's broad Manchester accent in parts of LTK, or A Certain Mr Connery's
    scottish accent, didn't bother you ? @-)
    No, I didn't mind those at all for some reason. The Brozz's accent became more noticeable as his tenure continued. Not sure if that was intentional, or if it was because he was spending more time there during his downtime between films. Certainly wasn't too keen on it.