What is your breaking point that would make you stop being a Bond fan.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    united1878 wrote: »

...for the amusement I would get seeing certain Bond fans feeling absolutely devastated that their fictional hero looks something outside what they are happy and comfortable with.
    I want to see them weep onto their copies of AVTAK and DAD, unsure if the sun will even rise the next day.

:)

The scenario you are descibing will become reality if Jamie Bell gets announced as the new Bond.
    Elba would be so fantastic as Bond that no one would ever speak up against him after the first movie is released.
    Not saying I want him as Bond, but certainly rather him than the Bell.

So what many are saying is...

They prefer Stringer Bell over Jaimie Bell?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-25-sam-mendes-will-not-return-future-is-up-to-barbara-broccoli?t=&s=&id=04096

^^ This...

... and what we've seen before. Rumoured actors are seldom chosen, no matter how hard we scream.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Maybe peer pressure but I'm starting to warm up to Hiddleston.
    Yes come to the dark side we have cookies
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Yes come to the dark side we have cookies

Mmmm cookies... :-bd
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondsum wrote: »
    I've read plenty of tedious, masturbatory garbage on these forums, @united1878, but yours pips everyone's by a country mile. Congratulations.

Yep. Bond is white.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    united1878 wrote: »
    Back when I was a teenager, I saw a mini series called Sword Of Honour which started Daniel Craig. I liked the show and thought he did a good job. A few years later, when DC was announced as the new 007, amidst all the outrage of the colour of his hair, I couldn't help but think he was a good choice. And the rest is history.

A few years after CR, I got stuck into the show that was The Wire. It was fantastic and it was no surprise that the character Stringer Bell (played by Idris Elba) had amassed a LEGION of fans, predominantly female.
    Elba played a character that was clever, brutal at times but always suave. Sound familiar?
    If Elba is chosen to be the next 007, I will think they made the right choice. And I'm fairly certain that legion of fans will happily fill the cinema seats vacated by those who have a problem accepting him as Bond.

And on indulgence, there is one other reason I want to see Idris Elba as the next Bond- and that is for the amusement I would get seeing certain Bond fans feeling absolutely devastated that their fictional hero looks something outside what they are happy and comfortable with.
    I want to see them weep onto their copies of AVTAK and DAD, unsure if the sun will even rise the next day.
    But maybe, just maybe, they'll eventually have a look and realise that Elba could actually do a great job as 007...

:)

And when Tom Hiddleston is cast as 007 I hope you will still enjoy the films.

Yep.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is Tom Hiddleston that white guy?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Is Tom Hiddleston that white guy?
    Uh-uh! Now, they all are going to stop watching the Bond films for a protest.

By the way... 'They' as in 'Those who have never seen a Bond film before but endorse their noses to be involved in its market'.
    I was just logging on to post the same thing! I guess previously I've just seen him as Loki and in Crimson Peak, but people keep posting pictures of him looking like he has great Bond potential, and I already know the dude is a hell of an actor (anyone who can make an asshole like Loki a likable character has talent!)

If Tom gets picked, I'm totally fine with it!

Hit the gym a bit, and he's in.

aeb7c6a667b2fa509d14de495dc7904f.jpg

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He looks a lot better in that picture. Nice fuller hair style too.
    Yeah he does. He's already very toned though. Brosnan when he was younger looked like he needed bulk but Hiddleston seems fine.

People keep saying this, he'll be fine as long as he hits the gym, bulks up a bit. Really? I've seen more than enough shirtless (or worse!) photos in here to observe that he's in shape. But he has an endomorph physique which means what you see is what you get, he will never have a Connery/Craig build.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Is Connery's build like Craig's? I don't think so.

Connery is tall, lean and had some muscle to him, but is not and never was body builder fit nor was he 'cut', which is the impression Craig gives me, particularly in CR.

EDIT: Perhaps he was body builder fit when he won that contest pre-DN, but not for most of his Bond tenure.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    People keep saying this, he'll be fine as long as he hits the gym, bulks up a bit. Really? I've seen more than enough shirtless (or worse!) photos in here to observe that he's in shape. But he has an endomorph physique which means what you see is what you get, he will never have a Connery/Craig build.

I'll admit when I'm wrong! Sure enough you're right!

I assumed he was scrawny but then I googled 'Tom Hiddleston shirtless' (not something I normally do, lol) and he is ripped as hell.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 709
    bondjames wrote: »

Connery is tall, lean and had some muscle to him, but is not and never was body builder fit nor was he 'cut', which is the impression Craig gives me, particularly in CR.

EDIT: Perhaps he was body builder fit when he won that contest pre-DN, but not for most of his Bond tenure.

Yeah I guess there's a difference between physiques then and now. Craig in Tomb Raider seemed jacked as hell to me, but he went even further with it for Bond. Compare to TB where Connery was in shape and was clearly a man who could do some damage, but wasn't walking around with ripped abs either. He had more of a natural bulk/mass to him. Nowadays every leading man has a six pack, regardless of how tough they are. Piddleston is "fit" but still looks weirdly fragile. And here's another guy who's "ripped" and still looks like a stray gust of wind might blow him over. You can't gym your way to tough!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2931594/Eddie-Redmayne-displays-impressive-abs-new-Jupiter-Ascending-stills.html

Craig was leaner and cut in Tomb Raider. His regimen in preparation for CR gave him some bulk, which made him look stronger. He lost that for QoS imho, where he was back closer to his Tomb Raider self.

Hiddleston is quite a bit taller than Craig, and lean. He could bulk up, but I wouldn't mind if he didn't, assuming he gets the role (big assumption).

I find most actors tend to bulk up a little when they land a major action franchise role (Damon for Bourne, Bale for Bat, Willis for Die Hard etc.).
    1979 Luke Evans - 1
    1977 Michael Fassbender - 13
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 14(+1)
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 15

I have been looking over this poll and I must say, I at first thought that the best choice for talked about candidates for the role was Michael Fassbender but my god does Aidan Turner have some presence to him. He reminds me of Connery at the start of it all. I think he is a great choice to take up the role.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

I'll admit when I'm wrong! Sure enough you're right!

I assumed he was scrawny but then I googled 'Tom Hiddleston shirtless' (not something I normally do, lol) and he is ripped as hell.

That's pure dedication there lol.
    He has been presenting himself shirtless recently in both The Night Manager and in High-Rise. I don't know if this was strictly for BB's benefit (in anticipation of getting the call) or not.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    ZHalfter wrote: »

I have been looking over this poll and I must say, I at first thought that the best choice for talked about candidates for the role was Michael Fassbender but my god does Aidan Turner have some presence to him. He reminds me of Connery at the start of it all. I think he is a great choice to take up the role.

=D>
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So how about Daniel Radcliffe? ;) He was talked about a while ago, wasn't he? Doesn't he rate that list? It's all pretty much a joke to me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Yes at this point I wouldn't be surprised anymore to learn that Harry Potter would be cast as Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »

Connery was a body builder, but that was between 1951-1954. He soon grew tired of it and stopped before he became a serious actor, but still indulged in a keep-fit regime. This type of body building is not the same as the drug-enhanced body building that came along much later.

The one area Hiddleston can't gain muscle is in his long face. The more I think and see of Hiddleston, the more I think he doesn't have much range as an actor. He essentially plays the same well-mannered, tightly-spoken character in everything he does. If anyone can point me to something where Hiddleston has changed his accent and his approach I'll be interested to check it out, but for now I'm going to chalk him up as the Nigel Havers for the new millennium, muscles or not.
    @bondsum
    Maybe you ask for too much.
    I don't see where Craig has more range than Hiddleston. From what I've seen Hiddleston seems to be the better actor, but that's not even the point.

Bond is not Shakespeare. Hiddy, Aiden and certainly Fassbender would all be very good as Bond acting wise.
    So much Hiddleston talk online again today on movie shows this is not going away, I think he will be Bond I am slowly warming to the idea though I think it's because I am convinced he will be the next 007.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2016 Posts: 7,526
    1979 Luke Evans - 2(+1)
    1977 Michael Fassbender - 13
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 14
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 15 < Such a boring choice, granted I haven't seen Night Manager or High Rise yet.

I think Richard Armitage was discussed previously, making 3 actors from The Hobbit in the 'next Bond' discussion.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 3,333
    @bondsum
    I don't see where Craig has more range than Hiddleston. From what I've seen Hiddleston seems to be the better actor, but that's not even the point.

Bond is not Shakespeare. Hiddy, Aiden and certainly Fassbender would all be very good as Bond acting wise.
    I hardly think I'm asking for too much, @BondJasonBond006. The problem I see with Hiddleston is whenever I look and hear him talk I immediately think posh-bloke, it takes me out of the movie a lot of the time. At least Craig has attempted accents, whether you find them convincing is another matter, but he's tried it nonetheless, and he's played different social classes to effect.

Of course, you're right when you say Bond's not Shakespeare, nor is it Ibsen, Chekhov, Brecht, or Tolstoy - all a moot point when we're discussing the actor's range and not the author. Otherwise, if you devalue the character by saying it's not so-and-so, then you can cast anyone in the role as it doesn't matter. What I've been saying in my past posts is that Bond has worked in the past due to the fact that they always cast an actor from working-class roots that could pretend he came from nobility; it gave the audience something that they could easily identify themselves with and the character up on the screen. Getting Hiddleston to portray Bond would be like casting someone from Made In Chelsea in the role, it would suck any empathy we have for him in the part. What made the socially snobbish, materialistic, killer likeable was the fact that we knew that he was really one of us and not this Chelsea-set snob that he portrayed. Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig all made this palatable because we knew that all these actors playing the role came from humble backgrounds. If Hiddleston was to be Bond he would be the first 007 that was actually a silver-spoon Bond, and that would not be something I could identify with, personally. As for Turner and Fassbender, they're exactly the right type of actors that I can see playing the role as they fit the previous and successful criterion.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,151
    If the rumours circulating about Susanne Bier to direct prove fruitful then I'd hazard a guess that Hiddlestone would surely be the big favourite to become the next Bond. I'm not against him being Bond, I'm sure he'd do a great job but, with his presence in Hollywood, would he be around for a decent stretch? Personally, I'd want someone who would be in the job for at least 4 movies to have some continuity in the role; with Hiddlestone I'm not sure that would happen as he's quite a big star now. But, hey, I could be wrong*.

*I usually am
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondsum wrote: »
    @bondsum

I hardly think I'm asking for too much, @BondJasonBond006. The problem I see with Hiddleston is whenever I look and hear him talk I immediately think posh-bloke, it takes me out of the movie a lot of the time. At least Craig has attempted accents, whether you find them convincing is another matter, but he's tried it nonetheless, and he's played different social classes to effect.

Of course, you're right when you say Bond's not Shakespeare, nor is it Ibsen, Chekhov, Brecht, or Tolstoy - all a moot point when we're discussing the actor's range and not the author. Otherwise, if you devalue the character by saying it's not so-and-so, then you can cast anyone in the role as it doesn't matter. What I've been saying in my past posts is that Bond has worked in the past due to the fact that they always cast an actor from working-class roots that could pretend he came from nobility; it gave the audience something that they could easily identify themselves with and the character up on the screen. Getting Hiddleston to portray Bond would be like casting someone from Made In Chelsea in the role, it would suck any empathy we have for him in the part. What made the socially snobbish, materialistic, killer likeable was the fact that we knew that he was really one of us and not this Chelsea-set snob that he portrayed. Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig all made this palatable because we knew that all these actors playing the role came from humble backgrounds. If Hiddleston was to be Bond he would be the first 007 that was actually a silver-spoon Bond, and that would not be something I could identify with, personally. As for Turner and Fassbender, they're exactly the right type of actors that I can see playing the role as they fit the previous and successful criterion.

I think what JasonBond means is that Bond doesn't require great acting and being like
    Robert De Niro but more of charisma and great screen prescence.

Actually Sean Connery never changes his accent the same goes for Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore.
    Definitely not everyone can be Bond but I don't think an actor has to be the greatest thespian to play this character, like I said This requires more charisma, screen prescence and good looks.

Now i see your point on Hidleston not getting the feeling of being relatable to audiences and maybe too posh to play Bond but on the other hand Bond is a male fantasy who dresses up well, gets great stuff for working on Mi6 and sleeps with the most beautiful woman.

So more than the need to identity with him audiences want to be like him and girls want to be with him.

Im not advocating completely for Hidleston but im just saying is more like a male fantasy. He is someone like Thomas Crown and Danny Ocean but more on the good guys side since he works for the good guys.

He is a Thomas Crown and Danny Ocean like who can fight and works for good guys and those parts don't require oscar level acting.

@bondsum
    This is a good point about the actor's background. I did not know about Hiddy being born with a silver spoon.
    But I also don't see how this would translate on the screen.

Personally, I want the actor chosen to look the part. For me that's the most important, then comes acting ability.
    Honestly I rather have Henry Cavill in the role than Jamie Bell or worse someone like Jack O'Connell, no matter how good they might be at acting.

Part reason why I was such a fan of Brosnan was because the moment they presented him as Bond he oozed Bond galore even before the first shot of GE was taken. Everything else really was falling into place afterwards.

If they cast another one that doesn't look anything like described in the books, it will be hard on me.