No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why not go full circle and finish the Craig era by getting Chris Cornell back to sing 'You'll Never Forget My Name'. Not very original, but the song would be awesome.

Yes indeed.

God preserve us from Buble's lift music crooning.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Finishing Dan's last film with the musical cue of You Know My Name would be awesome, too.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Finishing Dan's last film with the musical cue of You Know My Name would be awesome, too.
    Seconded.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,575
    Buble's a good singer............For karaoke. :))

(Cornell singing) YOU KNEW MY NAME! YOU KNEW MY NAME!
    Jon Hamm? As a 1960's Bond? Oh hell yeah!
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Welcome to the club! :-bd

I don't get the attraction of revisiting the 1960s - not only have they been done, but the films chartered the development of the complete decade, producing solid gold classics that are still running on TV, and staring the iconic SC.

What would be the point? You would just invite comparisons - just like Chris Evans trying to impersonate Clarkson.

If we must do a period piece, why not go back to the 1950s, when the books were written and set, and when Britain still (just about) had an empire that Bond could roam around, without any embarrassing foreign governments interfering

Troy wrote: »

I don't get the attraction of revisiting the 1960s - not only have they been done, but the films chartered the development of the complete decade, producing solid gold classics that are still running on TV, and staring the iconic SC.

What would be the point? You would just invite comparisons - just like Chris Evans trying to impersonate Clarkson.

If we must do a period piece, why not go back to the 1950s, when the books were written and set, and when Britain still (just about) had an empire that Bond could roam around, killing and blowing things up,, without any embarrassing diplomatic incidents

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Buble is just Karaoke for the masses.

Even putting him in the same sentence as Francis Albert is insulting, Sinatra was the full package, if only artists today had his charisma that star quality and that voice.

Sinatra'a like will never be seen again, it's such a pity he never hooked up with Barry for a Bond theme, I believe it got close with Moonraker if I remember rightly.

I'm seriously looking for something ballsy and epic after that wet blanket nonsense from Smith, still bloody hate the song.

Now if Radiohead channelled Burn The Witch into a theme, I liked their Spectre ( I now have it on 7") but got the feeling they'd been given a guide of what they wanted, it needed to be mellow and haunting that was EON's request.

If they'd asked for something more agressive BTW would have been ideal, Jonny Greenwood's abilities with strings are extraordinary, the orchestrations on their new album show why they stand apart from virtually any band of the last 25 years.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The other "tough" thing about doing a period piece is making sure it's 100% authentic, something they didn't have to worry about back when they were actually filming in the 60's.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I wish we could get Radiohead for the Bond theme again. I know I was vocally against them, but ironically now they're my favourite band.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/07/tom-hiddleston-james-bond-007-daniel-craig

Tom Hiddleston: I doubt I'll play James Bond

Unsure if this has been posted, apologies if it has.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    I wish we could get Radiohead for the Bond theme again. I know I was vocally against them, but ironically now they're my favourite band.

Radiohead would've been good to sing the Bond 25 song, unless if i heard the unused Spectre title song later.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I just checked out the synopsis. I've not been a fan of his film role choices to date, but this one looks good. I'll definitely check it out. I'd love to see him in a spy role though. He's just made for it. He could have even played Solo in the Uncle remake.

Hamm would have made an excellent Solo. What a missed opportunity. Cavill looks the part but is more wooden than an oak floor board
    Getafix wrote: »
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I just checked out the synopsis. I've not been a fan of his film role choices to date, but this one looks good. I'll definitely check it out. I'd love to see him in a spy role though. He's just made for it. He could have even played Solo in the Uncle remake.

Hamm would have made an excellent Solo. What a missed opportunity. Cavill looks the part but is more wooden than an oak floor board
    Robert Vaughn is also wooden, then.
    Vaughn is not the worlds greatest actor but he was perfect casting as Solo in the TV show. Not something I think most people would say about Cavill.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Vaughn is not the worlds greatest actor but he was perfect casting as Solo in the TV show. Not something I think most people would say about Cavill.
    Cavill certainly looked the part and had the mannerisms down, but he didn't inhabit the character in my view. It felt like he was 'acting it' throughout. Affected. Vaughn had the benefit of being the first. Where they blew it with the film was not allowing or insisting that Cavill create his own interpretation, rather than attempt to so consciously ape Vaughn, especially since most who saw the film (what few anyway) probably didn't remember the series all that well.

It was with Hammer where they made an incredible error. David McCallum is a tough act to follow, but Hammer was a quite horrendous caricature imho. One of the least convincing Russians I've ever witnessed on film.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've always enjoyed Robert Vaughn as an actor, he was fantastic in the series Hustle.
    Cavill certainly looked the part and had the mannerisms down, but he didn't inhabit the character in my view. It felt like he was 'acting it' throughout. Affected. Vaughn had the benefit of being the first. Where they blew it with the film was not allowing or insisting that Cavill create his own interpretation, rather than attempt to so consciously ape Vaughn, especially since most who saw the film (what few anyway) probably didn't remember the series all that well.

It was with Hammer where they made an incredible error. David McCallum is a tough act to follow, but Hammer was a quite horrendous caricature imho. One of the least convincing Russians I've ever witnessed on film.

Cavill says he had never watched the TV series and deliberately avoided watching Vaughn in the role so he could come up with his own interpretation.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883

Cavill says he had never watched the TV series and deliberately avoided watching Vaughn in the role so he could come up with his own interpretation.
    Oh dear. Then I'm at a complete loss for words.

I can actually believe that he's never watched a Superman film after seeing his 'interpretation' there this year.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I think the EU referendum announcement is in June, not the Bond casting announcement.

An easy mistake to make.

2015-07-28-1438094156-437530-sarcastic-thumb.jpg

\:D/
    I think the problem is that Cavill is simply a dreadful actor. He's so uncharismatic and boring that he can't even 'play himself' in the way that traditional action stars do. He's just like a clothes horse thrown infront of the camera.

I first saw him in a Woody Allen film and thought the joke was that the guy simply couldn't act...

I know people love Campbell on here but the fact that he wanted Cavill over Craig is a damning indictment of his judgement as a director.

Cavill would have been worse than Brosnan IMO. Which means he would have been REALLY bad.
    I think the problem is that Cavill is simply a dreadful actor. He's so uncharismatic and boring that he can't even 'play himself' in the way that traditional action stars do. He's just like a clothes horse thrown infront of the camera.

I first saw him in a Woody Allen film and thought the joke was that the guy simply couldn't act...

I know people love Campbell on here but the fact that he wanted Cavill over Craig is a damning indictment of his judgement as a director.

Cavill would have been worse than Brosnan IMO. Which means he would have been REALLY bad.
    I agree. Martin Campbell is normally right when it comes to all things Bond, but I'm so happy Babs overruled him (and Wilson) on Cavill. Have you seen The Cold Light of Day, a Euro thriller? He was absolutely cringe worthy in that one.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Unless Cavill has a good lawyer and is prepared to break his DC contract, he ain't gonna be the next James Bond!

On the subject of his acting, I like to think every actor has one good or even great performance in him or her. Who knows, perhaps Cavill would embrace Bond and give it his very best shot. I remember people always slagging off Sylvester Stallone and he made a film called Cop Land and got great reviews for his acting.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2016 Posts: 8,152
    By now we know that EON are sneaky. They are doubtless working hard behind the scenes to make sure they have an actor and script outline ready out of the gate. As always they are behaving inscrutably, thats what EON are known for.
    Agreed @Getafix I thought he'd have been a great Bond, but having seen him in a few
    Films, he really is a piece of wood. :(
    Ok I have a theory about the June announcement and it's a wild one but what if the announcement isn't about the next bond film but the next bond video game. E3 is next week and there are a few companies (Rocksteady, Ubisoft, and Wb Montreal) working on mysterious AAA titles how awesome would it be if next week we get a trailer and announcement of a new bond game staring Daniel Craig as James Bond 007 (providing voice work and likeness) Ralph Fiennes as M and of course Christoph Waltz as Blofeld
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Ok I have a theory about the June announcement and it's a wild one but what if the announcement isn't about the next bond film but the next bond video game. E3 is next week and there are a few companies (Rocksteady, Ubisoft, and Wb Montreal) working on mysterious AAA titles how awesome would it be if next week we get a trailer and announcement of a new bond game staring Daniel Craig as James Bond 007 (providing voice work and likeness) Ralph Fiennes as M and of course Christoph Waltz as Blofeld

Never in a million years, but I appreciate your optimism. We won't see another Bond game for a long, long time. Thanks to Activision's increasingly poor efforts through the years (ending in their license's termination), I'm sure most behind the Bond brand now think 007 is dead in the water when it comes to the video game market, so why bother? Blood Stone showed amazing promise of all that a modern Bond shooter could be, and to get a series of games like that with Dan on board would've been spectacular, but that just isn't going to happen, unfortunately. It's a shame too, because with today's hardware, amazing things could be done with a Bond game. But, for whatever reason, the license always goes to those who have the least vision.
    June announcement, after the success of Dame Judi,
    June Whitfield is the new Bond girl . ;)