Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

SaintMark wrote: »
    The Dark Knight III: The master race part IV

What do you think of this so far? It feels like the real sequel to DKR (I found DKSA abysmal) but I feel like they better pick up the pace a bit.

What do you think of this so far? It feels like the real sequel to DKR (I found DKSA abysmal) but I feel like they better pick up the pace a bit.

So far I am liking it and I love the little booklets inside the comic that tell the same story but from other DC hero's viewpoints.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So TDK III hasn t been collected into one volume yet? I have been looking for that.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It's not finished yet.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I heard the last two issues were cancelled or delayed. Don't know if it's true... or am I actually confusing it with some other comic?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Whoa, I hope not. They better see this thing through to the end or there will be some mutant leader hell to pay!
    Miller is still doing The Dark Knight IV.
    What I understand is that we are halfway with DKIII and there are 4 more installments to come until the story is finished.
    Yes, it's an eight-issue miniseries.
  • @ClarkDevlin, thanks for the info re: Darwin Cooke. One fine artist/writer, he will be sorely missed. Those w/ an appreciation for classic superheroes should check out Darwin's "The New Frontier."
    @ClarkDevlin, thanks for the info re: Darwin Cooke. One fine artist/writer, he will be sorely missed. Those w/ an appreciation for classic superheroes should check out Darwin's "The New Frontier."
    That was helluva of an experience! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,813

So far I am liking it and I love the little booklets inside the comic that tell the same story but from other DC hero's viewpoints.
    I like them too- but I'd love to know what blind man designed 'Batgirl's' new costume. For those who haven't seen it, picture the classic Batgirl from the animated series:

41ZApdGPflL._AC_UL320_SR186,320_.jpg

Now imagine the blue parts as bright purple (you could even argue pink), and the grey parts as bright GREEN. 451.gif

*EDIT
    Nevermind, here she is in all her glory

img_0319.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    With a Bat symbol that looks like it's clinging to her by a thin string.
    Rereading my whole Lucky Luke collection, which covers practically everything from the start in the 1940s to the death of Goscinny in 1977. Morris is one of the best comic artists ever, and when Coscinny took over writing duties for him in the 1950s, magic was created. What a genius he was.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How did Jim Lee sound off on that garish design?
  • How did Jim Lee sound off on that garish design?

A) It's Frank Miller. He can do whatever he wants. B) Have you ever seen the original Batwoman costume? This is just that, with some extra blue added to the mix because the scene is taking place at night. Yellow plus blue = green, red plus blue = purple. C) It's not an actual "Batgirl" comic, it's just another of those tiny additions to DK III. Out of continuity, pay no attention to the girl behind the curtain...

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How did Jim Lee sound off on that garish design?

A) It's Frank Miller. He can do whatever he wants. B) Have you ever seen the original Batwoman costume? This is just that, with some extra blue added to the mix because the scene is taking place at night. Yellow plus blue = green, red plus blue = purple. C) It's not an actual "Batgirl" comic, it's just another of those tiny additions to DK III. Out of continuity, pay no attention to the girl behind the curtain...

That explains All-Star Batman and Robin. Another wretched thing poor Jim worked to make a reality.
    Once again I have returned to Carl Barks. Any other Barksists out there?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    d0109cde2787d652350447c2feb267fc.jpg
    Wonder Woman looks directly influenced by BvS, which is a great look for her. Superman looks good; just takes a little getting used to. Is Batman's cape really purple on the inside, or is it just funny lighting? Odd choice if so. I don't mind the yellow border on the bat logo- I look at it as an homage to classic Bats, with the big yello oval. Not terribly stealthy- so this is the best of both worlds in a way.

The big question: what am I looking at here?
    Is 'Rebirth' yet another reboot or is everyone just updating their clothes?

Well I keep seeing more and more pictures and each time the inside of his cape is purple, so I guess that's that. A bit different, but not bad I suppose.

However blue would have been a cool homage to the Animated Series....
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 3,564
    The yellow border on the bat logo is entirely about trademarking another symbol. The original bat logo was too generic, just a black bat sitting on the grey background of his chest. Adding the yellow circle created a trademarkable -- and marketable -- image that DC has been making coin off of since the mid-60s. The yellow border around the bat logo ALSO creates a marketable image that DC will start making coin off of effective yesterday.

As ever: follow the money...

And on the issue of "Reboot or No Reboot?" I'd say it depends on who you ask. Certain forces at DC recognize that rebooting their entire line every other year isn't going to serve them well in the long run, so no, they will deny it until they're blue in the face: this isn't a reboot. It can be argued that this is a "Preboot" in that they're recognizing that throwing out much of their existing (pre-New52) continuity alienated some of their existing fan base, so they're trying to reclaim those parts of their continuity and therefore those fans. Is it a reboot if it undoes the last reboot? Personally, I think continuity matters less & less with DC, and it's starting to be that way with Marvel as well. Both companies can and should have versions of these characters aimed at beginning readers as well as versions aimed at long-time fans. A six year old playing with an action figure of Superman doesn't care if it's the Jerry Siegel Superman, the John Byrne Superman or the Eddie Berganza Superman. Are we to disallow that six year old the simple fun of playing with his action figure? It could be that the era of the continuity fanatic is drawing to a close. How many Ms has James Bond had, anyway? Does it honestly matter which version of Blofeld is the "Real" one when they're all just made up characters anyway?

Go ahead, accuse me of intellectual anarchy. You'll be a few decades late...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    black-panther-cover-0d822.jpg
    Black_Panther_1_Preview_1.jpg
    bd74f31bc.jpg
    b86ab4d41.jpg

detail-11.jpg
    tchalla-dab.png

Coates is doing a spectacular job with this run and we're only 2 issues in. The first issue was the top selling comic book last month and the focus on the political turmoil going on in Wakanda is not only brilliantly paced but the mystery of the uprisings and T'Challa having to deal with his own Dora Milaje's and midnight angels is proving to be tragic and brutal, everything about this from the writing and artwork is dripping with authentic confidence. Ta-Nehisi Coates is a phenomenal and acclaimed writer in his own right, lending his voice and vision to such a majestic character and furnishing the mythology with an elevation of sophistication that perfectly suits the world of Wakanda and uts people perfectly. This is already proving to be well on its way to becoming a landmark arc for the character.
    Now, that's a damn good art!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    A six year old playing with an action figure of Superman doesn't care if it's the Jerry Siegel Superman, the John Byrne Superman or the Eddie Berganza Superman. Are we to disallow that six year old the simple fun of playing with his action figure? It could be that the era of the continuity fanatic is drawing to a close. How many Ms has James Bond had, anyway? Does it honestly matter which version of Blofeld is the "Real" one when they're all just made up characters anyway?
    No! NO THEY'RE NOT!!
    I can't hear you lalalalalalalalalalalala!

LOL, I love you man. You make sense.
    @doubleoego, I am digging that art style, and I think the writer captures T'Challa well too. Glad to see Panther's first issue of the Marvel refresh has been more successful than Cap's. By the way, what's your thoughts on the whole "Cap is Hydra" thing? I'm curious to know your view on the reveal.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 11,139
    @doubleoego, I am digging that art style, and I think the writer captures T'Challa well too. Glad to see Panther's first issue of the Marvel refresh has been more successful than Cap's. By the way, what's your thoughts on the whole "Cap is Hydra" thing? I'm curious to know your view on the reveal.

I'm super annoyed by it for a couple of reasons. One; it's just not cap and it spits in the face of writers and artists who have spent the last 75 years writing a very difficult character that's so beloved and truly stands for core values that don't make him the bastion for what it means to be an American but also a wonderful human being; fighting in what ever way he can to fight against oppression and for the liberty of every individual.

Two; Marvel feel the need to employ cheap shock tactics to create buzz and sell their books by complete crapping on and destroying their characters instead of just focusing on trying to tell great stories and putting characters through interesting arcs. These days I feel there's far too much emphasis on villain worship rather than embracing the exploits of who the heroes are and how they should be. This culture of baiting fans is embarrassing.

Three; the complete disregard and disrespect towards fans who have not only paid and supported the character and the brand but have grown up and found something in cap that resonates with them. In a fast and loose world where core values may be seen to be old fashioned and the lackadaisical attitude towards such a way of life, it was always a welcome and comforting pleasure that someone like cap could exist within contemporary times and still hold on to such convictions that one could be more proud of more than anything else about the character. Now, Marvel seem ardent in assuring that this whole Hydra business is the real deal and not a cheap ploy or gimmick. It's infuriating because either way it just comes off as one big waste of time. I really hope sales for this allow for the book to underperform, showing that fans and readers won't stand for this butchering. Furthermore, in all likelihood this will end or go away but if people already think this or are certain that this will be reconnect eventually then technically Marvel have failed straight out if thecgate; invalidating their plan in the midst of execution.

I'm hoping sooner rather than later that this mess turns out to not be true but I also feel annoyed knowing that the reasons surrounding the twist is going to be something so absurd and pointless to begin with. Needless to say, I'm not paying for and nor am I reading these "cap" issues. Marvel have sunk to an all new low with this unsavoury stunt.
    @doubleoego, I talked with my friend recently, who is also a comics fan, and we essentially had the same points as you, and we're straight up furious, he even more than me. We both love Cap more than most Marvel characters, so last week's news was a shock, for sure.

I can't wait to see how Marvel explain all the ways that Cap was secretly working for Hydra as he stopped Red Skull, killed major Hydra leaders and Nazis, how he picked up Thor's hammer, how telepaths around him never knew about his Hydra connections, and blah, blah, blah.

Kirby and Simon must be rolling in their graves. Marvel's move here is nuts. "Let's take a hero created by two Jewish men designed as a hero to their people and the world, and make him in league with the Nazis all along! Great idea, right, guys?!"

It is very much a slap in the face to all the creators that've come before to lend a special touch to this character. I foresee Marvel having to change their plotting of the arc in an effort to make it so that this isn't the "real" Cap, but as you said, it just won't add up over 75 plus years of comics history, whether it's Cap's first appearance punching out Hitler or his beautiful and sacrificial send-off in Civil War!
    Absolutely. It's one big mess and I'd really like to understand the rationale and reasoning behind such a bone headed decision. If this is the best Marvel can come up with then they need to start looking at new talent because these fan-baiting and "shocking" arcs are utter garbage and do nothing but destroy characters that have been built up over nearly a century. Everything Cap has done compared to now as he's being presented, is supposed to be rendered meaningless? It makes no sense. Meanwhile Marvel think they've been clever with this. Pathetic.
    Wait till you read the "writer's" comments about it. He's just sick. He already presented a story with "shocking" elements and it was garbage in its own right... He just outdid himself with this one.
    And this Cap garbage is part of the so-called "All New, All Different" Marvel. Well, things are definitely different. Like anything he's ever stood for. But, as this shows, not everything never-before-seen is interesting to deliver to audiences, nor is it wise. I can't see this going anywhere but south for Marvel. And Nick Spencer, the writer, is just so proud of himself and really gets off on all this, while fans boycott his books and death threats are tweeted at him. This backlash is his idea of a good time, it seems.

Chris Evans needs to bust into Marvel Studios and kick some but in his red, white and blues. If office hours extended into the night, he could even use his stealth suit and shield from the beginning of Winter Soldier, which is his favorite Cap suit anyway, and just straight up mess people up.

I know some of worried about the MCU adopting this twist, but with the amazing Russo brothers on board for every film Chris is still contracted for, I don't see them standing for this garbage after they worked so hard to give us some of the top films of the Marvel cinematic canon that simultaneously delivered the best live-action version of Cap possible. They're a big part of the reason why Cap will always be my favorite Avenger and my all around favorite character in the MCU.
    Chris Evans, if I remember correctly, did protest the decision of Cap being a Hydra sleeper agent.