Last graphic novel, comic book, manga you read

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Chris Evans, if I remember correctly, did protest the decision of Cap being a Hydra sleeper agent.

He gave a slightly playful tweet about it, but other than that, I haven't heard anything else reaction wise from him.
  • I'm waiting a few more issues before going into full screaming outrage mode re: the Cap/Hydra thing. I expect it's just a ploy on somebody's part. Maybe Cap's, maybe Spencer's. I'm not saying I like it -- I'm saying I don't believe it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    JOHN CONSTANTINE, HELLBLAZER VOL. 13: HAUNTED

I don t usually care for too gory or sleazy series, but Hellblazer is in another league, same as PREACHER and 100 BULLETS. Or certain Sandman stories. There is some heart and intelligence to it.
    I went to the comic store yesterday to grab a couple of those DC Rebirth titles I've been hearing so much about, and I stumbled onto something even better: a whole new Punisher series I didn't even know was being made!

mar160728.jpg

It feels like the good ol' MAX series, but it's definitely a modern reboot of sorts, as Frank Castle is younger even though it's present day (no Vietnam this time, he's just a Marine) and Steve Dillon is the artist.
    It's AWESOME.

One odd thing though.... there's a big bold 'parental advisory' on the cover, and there's tons of blood, yet all the swearing looks like @$%# gibberish. Weird....
    Rereading some MANDRAKE stories from 1938 by Lee Falk and Phil Davis. Having a great time.

Lothar to Mandrake after running away when seeing a "ghost": "I wasn t really scared. I was just running for the exercise."

Mandrake: "Of course."
    Doctor Who - The Iron Legion
    A grand day out for my favorite Doctor played by Tom Baker.
    Rereading FLASH GORDON from the late 30s. Absolutely fantastic art by Alex Raymond (1909-1956). I can see how George Lucas was inspired by this.
    PYTON:

In the 80s and 90s this was a Norwegian humour magazine akin to MAD etc.
    SIN CITY:
    THE HARD GOODBYE

and
    A DAME TO KILL FOR.

Once again struck by how faithful the films are to the Frank Miller comics. Miller codirected with Rodriguez, so there is that. They are both masterful.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The first Sin City film is superior to the second.
    I don t get it. The first is a work of art, and so is the second.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I agree that the first Sin City is a work of art, but the second just... I don't know what it is about it, it felt more less like Sin City, and thus just not as good. A Dame to Kill For isn't a short book in the series, but it feels shorter on film than The Big Fat Kill, which was shorter than A Dame to Kill For. I also don't agree with some of the recasts. Michael Madsen was perfect as Bob in the first, but the actor who played him in the second was just pitiful. I cut them some slack with Dwight, but I wish that Clive Owen had returned to play the post-facial-reconstruction Dwight. And aside from giving Powers Boothe some more screentime, the story with Joseph Gordon-Levitt was just horrible.

But give me that adaptation of Hell and Back with Johnny Depp and all will be forgiven about the second film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wish that Clive Owen had returned to play the post-facial-reconstruction Dwight.
    One of the issues I had with the second film, too.
    Didn t bother me in the slightest. Josh Brolin is a far better actor.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, disagreement is due, old chap.
    Some examples of perfect casting in the films: Marv, Kevin, Manute...
    Didn t bother me in the slightest. Josh Brolin is a far better actor.

I didn't mind Josh Brolin in the role, I just wanted some continuity. I forgive things like Manute being recast, as Michael Clarke Duncan had died, but it as it was, after the facial surgery, Dwight just looked like Josh Brolin with a funky wig on rather than a completely different person, which was how it was done in the graphic novels.

That's basically most of my complaints with the second film. It had so little continuity with the first film, it makes it difficult to truly watch them together.
    SIN CITY:

THE BIG FAT KILL
    FAMILY VALUES
    BOOZE, BROADS, & BULLETS
    HELL AND BACK

Clearly, Miller is more than just a little inspired by the old EC comics.
    SIN CITY:

THE BIG FAT KILL
    FAMILY VALUES
    BOOZE, BROADS, & BULLETS
    HELL AND BACK

Clearly, Miller is more than just a little inspired by the old EC comics.

Hell and Back is my second favorite of the Sin City series. That Yellow Bastard is my all time favorite, but Hell and Back is just damned good. Family Values was a bit of a mistake and some of the stories in Booze, Broads & Bullets are hit or miss, but Hell and Back makes up for every bit of that. Assuming the Sin City films can survive, I want that to be adapted. The trippy scene in the middle would be amazing on film.
    That Yellow Bastard is my favourite too, followed by THE HARD GOODBYE.
    The Hard Goodbye comes third for me. Dwight is, in all honesty, my least favorite character in the series. He's best in A Dame to Kill For, though his other stories are simply boring.
    Dwight doesn t grab my attention much either, but Marv on the other hand...
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Just wondering as we have this thread where we can share the comics/manga etc. that we have recently read, whether there would be any objection if I set up a new thread for "Latest Graphic Novel/Comics/Manga bought". Similar to the movies threads, Last Movies bought and Last Movies watched. The reason I ask is that I've had a splurge recently on comics but haven't had the chance to read them but wanted to share.

Thought I would mention it in here first before going ahead.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Shar_Of_Largo, this is essentially just the general comics/manga thread of MI6, really, where anything regarding them can be openly discussed. In the past we've discussed the last thing we read/watched, what we've bought, and also given recommendations to each other while also having discussions on specific works. Any and all comic/manga talk has been covered here in the past, so your wish to talk to us about your recent purchases would fit in just as well amongst everything else this thread has held, discussion wise.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    That sounds fair enough to me. Cheers for that.
    BARBE ROUGE 2-LE ROI DE SEPT MERS from 1962 by Jean-Michel Charlier and Victor Hubinon.

The year is 1733 and Redbeard s son Erik is escaping from London with a prize on his head after helping his father escape from the gallows.
  • @doubleoego, I talked with my friend recently, who is also a comics fan, and we essentially had the same points as you, and we're straight up furious, he even more than me. We both love Cap more than most Marvel characters, so last week's news was a shock, for sure.

I can't wait to see how Marvel explain all the ways that Cap was secretly working for Hydra as he stopped Red Skull, killed major Hydra leaders and Nazis, how he picked up Thor's hammer, how telepaths around him never knew about his Hydra connections, and blah, blah, blah.

Kirby and Simon must be rolling in their graves. Marvel's move here is nuts. "Let's take a hero created by two Jewish men designed as a hero to their people and the world, and make him in league with the Nazis all along! Great idea, right, guys?!"

It is very much a slap in the face to all the creators that've come before to lend a special touch to this character. I foresee Marvel having to change their plotting of the arc in an effort to make it so that this isn't the "real" Cap, but as you said, it just won't add up over 75 plus years of comics history, whether it's Cap's first appearance punching out Hitler or his beautiful and sacrificial send-off in Civil War!

Well, Steve Rogers/Captain America #2 is now out and...if you haven't read it yet, go ahead & do so. As I expected, Marvel's not REALLY wanting you to believe that Steve was a Hydra double agent for all these decades, and Joe Simon & Jack Kirby have no need to go rolling in their graves. It's a plot twist, one that makes perfect sense if you read Avengers/Pleasant Hill. I have every reason to believe that by the end of this story arc, everything will be back to normal for Cap -- or at least, as "normal" as anything ever gets in the modern Marvel age...
    DONALD DUCK: THE OLD CASTLE S SECRET

Another Carl Barks collection from Fantagraphics Books. This one covers 1948/1949 and consists of over 200 pages of timeless classics as usual. A work of art.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Thanks to the tv series which got me interested in this character, as well as a few recommendation from this very forum, I have started reading:

The Flash: Flashpoint
    I have just gotten past the point where:
    Barry has made his second attempt to get his speed back, and succeeded.

I went into this story blind, so all of the twists have come at me by surprise. I don't know much about the DCU, probably only a little more than the average person on the street. There are a number of characters that I don't really know of. So I will, once I have finished Flashpoint, read up about them, and then re-read the story.

Any suggestions about what Flash stories I should try after this?
  • Any suggestions about what Flash stories I should try after this?

I'm an old fuddy-duddy, so I personally recommend the stuff illustrated by Carmine Infantino in the late '50s through the '60s. This is the "run" that introduced Barry Allen and defined his Rogues Gallery. Great Silver Age sci-fi, can't do much better than this to my eyes. But you probably want a more modern take, so I'll suggest the Mark Waid run, which introduced the entire concept of the speed force. This is fairly pivotal to the current Flash mythos so it's probably where you want to look.

But really folks, anybody with an interest in DC's superheroes needs a proper grounding in the Julius Schwartz edited books of the '50s-'60s, from Flash and Green Lantern through the JLA, the Atom and Hawkman. It's like saying, if you like Marvel's superheroes you really ought to check out the work of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. These are the giants on whose shoulders current comics creators are fortunate to stand.