What is your breaking point that would make you stop being a Bond fan.

Comments

• edited May 2016 Posts: 12,837
    1979 Luke Evans - 1
    1977 Michael Fassbender - 13
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2 (+1)
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 12
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 13

Not that I think it'll ever happen mind. But he'd be my personal choice. Jack O'Connell would be my second.

For the record out of the top candidates I'd go for Fassbender. Hiddlestone I could get behind too. I liked Turner in Being Human but I'll be completely honest, I saw a picture of him with his hair tied in a bun and it put me right off the idea of him being Bond :)) I'd definitely be willing to give him a chance though if he got the part, as I would pretty much any actor that has a chance of being selected. Been a few years since I last watched that show but from what I can remember he was pretty good.

The only one on the list who I'd be very skeptical about is Hunnam. Awful actor imo. I'd give him a chance as if he won the role EON would've obviously seen something in him but personally I don't rate him at all.
    Or Tom Hardy.
    Because one vote per actor period otherwise I would vote for all 3 of the following scores

1. Tom Hiddleston
    2. Michael Fassbender
    3. Tom hardy

All 3 could work in my opinion
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Hardy is a brilliant actor. BUT he's 5 ft 8 inches tall!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    1979 Luke Evans - 1
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 13
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 13

Added 4Ever's vote to it.
    A young Idris I'd go for in a heartbeat, but he is too old.

Let me think of somebody else ... otherwise from that list, I'm for Turner.

Bond is white.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 12,837
    suavejmf wrote: »

Bond is white.

And he has slicked back black hair with one strand falling down, and a scar on his cheek, he presumably (given he was raised in England and went to Eton) speaks with an RP accent rather than a Scottish or IrishEnglish (Brosnan) one. He smokes sixty a day, drives a bentley, hates killing (more likely to contemplate what he's just done than crack a one liner) and was a commander in the Royal Navy.

Oh wait, except he isn't any of those things anymore. Times change and so does Bond. If he hadn't evolved as a character he wouldn't be around today. He was white. Doesn't mean that can't change. The quip spewing gadget using playboy that Moore and Brosnan portrayed is a far cry from Fleming's original vision, as is Craig's blonde muscular ex-squaddie take (I know there was the obituary but I think that was just a nod to the fans it doesn't really make sense in the context of the film, maybe it was his cover story as he's on books as an MOD official? And an ex officer is easier to buy in that role than ex special forces? But anyway my point is that in this day and age, given his skills, I think it's very unlikely that he was an officer in the Navy, Marines then SBS would be my guess), but we still love them.

I'm not advocating casting a black actor for the sake of it but if they'd be a good fit (as Elba would be to me, although he is probably too old) then I wouldn't rule them out. Obviously there are limits on how much you can change before the character becomes unrecognisable but, to me at least, his skin colour is pretty meaningless in this day and age. Makes his old etonian background a bit harder to buy maybe but I always liked the idea that Bond never fit in amongst the toffs there (as Vesper hinted at in CR) anyway. Besides it's not as if his backstory ever really comes into play. Long as he's handsome and has a good enough physique to be believeable in the role and speaks with an English accent (the actor doesn't necessarily have to be British imo as long as he can pull off the accent, and I say that as an Englishman) then it doesn't matter to me. All subjective obviously but that's how I feel. If it was a period piece then obviously it'd be another matter.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Long as he's handsome and has a good enough physique to be believeable in the role and speaks with an English accent (the actor doesn't necessarily have to be British imo as long as he can pull off the accent, and I say that as an Englishman) then it doesn't matter to me. All subjective obviously but that's how I feel. If it was a period piece then obviously it'd be another matter.

Im not English but id say the actor who portrays Bond at least should be European, i prefer English, Irish or Australian, thought i accept lets say a swedish actor ( Alexander Skarsgar. ) or a Danish actor( Nikolaj Coster Waldaw).

I wouldn't like Ryan Gosling or Bradley Cooper at all to be Bond. American and Canadian actors should stay away from Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Are there not any white male British actors over 6ft that don't favor a rodent or

Bond is white.

And he has slicked back black hair with one strand falling down, and a scar on his cheek, he presumably (given he was raised in England and went to Eton) speaks with an RP accent rather than a Scottish or IrishEnglish (Brosnan) one. He smokes sixty a day, drives a bentley, hates killing (more likely to contemplate what he's just done than crack a one liner) and was a commander in the Royal Navy.

Oh wait, except he isn't any of those things anymore. Times change and so does Bond. If he hadn't evolved as a character he wouldn't be around today. He was white. Doesn't mean that can't change. The quip spewing gadget using playboy that Moore and Brosnan portrayed is a far cry from Fleming's original vision, as is Craig's blonde muscular ex-squaddie take (I know there was the obituary but I think that was just a nod to the fans it doesn't really make sense in the context of the film, maybe it was his cover story as he's on books as an MOD official? And an ex officer is easier to buy in that role than ex special forces? But anyway my point is that in this day and age, given his skills, I think it's very unlikely that he was an officer in the Navy, Marines then SBS would be my guess), but we still love them.

I'm not advocating casting a black actor for the sake of it but if they'd be a good fit (as Elba would be to me, although he is probably too old) then I wouldn't rule them out. Obviously there are limits on how much you can change before the character becomes unrecognisable but, to me at least, his skin colour is pretty meaningless in this day and age. Makes his old etonian background a bit harder to buy maybe but I always liked the idea that Bond never fit in amongst the toffs there (as Vesper hinted at in CR) anyway. Besides it's not as if his backstory ever really comes into play. Long as he's handsome and has a good enough physique to be believeable in the role and speaks with an English accent (the actor doesn't necessarily have to be British imo as long as he can pull off the accent, and I say that as an Englishman) then it doesn't matter to me. All subjective obviously but that's how I feel. If it was a period piece then obviously it'd be another matter.

He's white with a Scottish heritage (SF) and half Swiss.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Szonana wrote: »
    Long as he's handsome and has a good enough physique to be believeable in the role and speaks with an English accent (the actor doesn't necessarily have to be British imo as long as he can pull off the accent, and I say that as an Englishman) then it doesn't matter to me. All subjective obviously but that's how I feel. If it was a period piece then obviously it'd be another matter.

Im not English but id say the actor who portrays Bond at least should be European, i prefer English, Irish or Australian, thought i accept lets say a swedish actor ( Alexander Skarsgar. ) or a Danish actor( Nikolaj Coster Waldaw).

I wouldn't like Ryan Gosling or Bradley Cooper at all to be Bond. American and Canadian actors should stay away from Bond.

I don't understand why Australian actors get a free pass to be Bond, hell even a Swedish actor, but Canada, a colony of England just as Australia is, isn't worthy of a Bond actor. Doesn't make sense.

IMO I think Gosling could pull off Bond amazingly.
    Canada is too close to the US ...we've contaminated them :D ...
    Justin Bieber is Canadian :D

Gosling would be much better than many of the British actors mentioned in this thread IMHO!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I don't understand why Australian actors get a free pass to be Bond, hell even a Swedish actor, but Canada, a colony of England just as Australia is, isn't worthy of a Bond actor. Doesn't make sense.

The Aussies tend to be more hunky, which impresses some of the girls imho. Must be the climate and the beaches. They're good swimmers too, generally.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Well they look more American their accent is closer to the US accent. I find Ryan very attractive and i liked him a lot in The big short but I don't think he has the sophistication to portray Bond.

I need to see Gosling trying the British accent but American actors are terrible at that. Natalie Portman who i think is very good young actress couldn't keep up with the British accent for The Other Boleyn Girl and Scarlet was a complete mess.

The only non British actor who kept a good accent was Eric Bana and he is Australian.

1979 Luke Evans - 1
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 13
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 13
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Sonny_Robertson_as_009_29_may_2016.png

;)
    I admit Sonny has made a string of very good promo photos where he does look the part.
    I particularly like the black gun against the black background, so it looks like he's tactically pointing his finger
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I particularly like the black gun against the black background, so it looks like he's tactically pointing his finger
    Which is exactly what I thought he was doing! I didn't even see the gun.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Loki mate. But yes true!

Sorry. I am a foreigner.
    1982 Dan Stevens - 0
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 5(+1)
    1977 Tom Hardy - 0
    1972 Idris Elba - 0
    1986 Sam Claflin - 0
    1989 Nicholas Hoult - 0
    1984 Theo James - 0
    1983 Aidan Turner - 4
    1977 Michael Fassbender - 3
    1953 Pierce Brosnan - 1
    1979 Luke Evans - 1
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 13
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 14 (connerybond's vote)

• SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    1979 Luke Evans - 1
    1982 Jack Huston - 1
    1981 Rupert Friend - 2
    1989 Sonny Robertson - 1
    1972 Idris Elba - 2
    1980 Charlie Hunnam - 1
    1990 Jack O'Connell - 1
    1971 Ewan McGregor - 1
    1983 Aidan Turner - 13
    1981 Tom Hiddleston - 15 (+1)

Bond is white.

=D>
    edited May 2016 Posts: 5,131

Bond is white.

It is relevant to his character and the way the character has always been.

Bond is circa 35-40, so let's say he was born in 1976 (an Etonian, from the Scottish Highlands and a high ranking navel officer). His father will have been say 30 when he was born. He was therefore a middle class man born in 1946. Likelihood of even a 'modern Bond' being black.....er no and just PC for PC's sake.

I am not suggesting 'white washing' a character at all, I am simply pointing out that 007 was written as a white man and there is no point in changing this tradition.

Like it or not Black people are the lowest paid demographic in the UK. As such it is more unlikely that an Etonian, from the Scottish Highlands and a high ranking navel officer such as Bond (being from an upper middle class public school background) would be black.

As for the usual Scottish milkman point. Connery was a good enough actor to pull off the 'upper class aspect'. BUT he didn't need to 'pull off' looking like Fleming's character or act half Scottish did he. Same generally goes for DC. Yes a slight deviation, but nothing 'ridiculous'.

Also, the franchise is a business after all and I'm not convinced that some Countries would accept a change in 007's traditional heritage.

Bond is white.
    Back when I was a teenager, I saw a mini series called Sword Of Honour which started Daniel Craig. I liked the show and thought he did a good job. A few years later, when DC was announced as the new 007, amidst all the outrage of the colour of his hair, I couldn't help but think he was a good choice. And the rest is history.

A few years after CR, I got stuck into the show that was The Wire. It was fantastic and it was no surprise that the character Stringer Bell (played by Idris Elba) had amassed a LEGION of fans, predominantly female.
    Elba played a character that was clever, brutal at times but always suave. Sound familiar?
    If Elba is chosen to be the next 007, I will think they made the right choice. And I'm fairly certain that legion of fans will happily fill the cinema seats vacated by those who have a problem accepting him as Bond.

And on indulgence, there is one other reason I want to see Idris Elba as the next Bond- and that is for the amusement I would get seeing certain Bond fans feeling absolutely devastated that their fictional hero looks something outside what they are happy and comfortable with.
    I want to see them weep onto their copies of AVTAK and DAD, unsure if the sun will even rise the next day.
    But maybe, just maybe, they'll eventually have a look and realise that Elba could actually do a great job as 007...

:)
    I've read plenty of tedious, masturbatory garbage on these forums, @united1878, but yours pips everyone's by a country mile. Congratulations.
    united1878 wrote: »
    Back when I was a teenager, I saw a mini series called Sword Of Honour which started Daniel Craig. I liked the show and thought he did a good job. A few years later, when DC was announced as the new 007, amidst all the outrage of the colour of his hair, I couldn't help but think he was a good choice. And the rest is history.

A few years after CR, I got stuck into the show that was The Wire. It was fantastic and it was no surprise that the character Stringer Bell (played by Idris Elba) had amassed a LEGION of fans, predominantly female.
    Elba played a character that was clever, brutal at times but always suave. Sound familiar?
    If Elba is chosen to be the next 007, I will think they made the right choice. And I'm fairly certain that legion of fans will happily fill the cinema seats vacated by those who have a problem accepting him as Bond.

And on indulgence, there is one other reason I want to see Idris Elba as the next Bond- and that is for the amusement I would get seeing certain Bond fans feeling absolutely devastated that their fictional hero looks something outside what they are happy and comfortable with.
    I want to see them weep onto their copies of AVTAK and DAD, unsure if the sun will even rise the next day.
    But maybe, just maybe, they'll eventually have a look and realise that Elba could actually do a great job as 007...

And when Tom Hiddleston is cast as 007 I hope you will still enjoy the films.
    united1878 wrote: »

...for the amusement I would get seeing certain Bond fans feeling absolutely devastated that their fictional hero looks something outside what they are happy and comfortable with.

The scenario you are descibing will become reality if Jamie Bell gets announced as the new Bond.
    Elba would be so fantastic as Bond that no one would ever speak up against him after the first movie is released.
    Not saying I want him as Bond, but certainly rather him than the Bell.
    Maybe peer pressure but I'm starting to warm up to Hiddleston.